50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

ART in AZ:  Have not run the Whiskey Row event at all, always conflicted with my travel schedule.  Love that place when on my Harley though!! I am hoping to run a FM early May in NM.  Will you be running the Lost Dutchman event on the 17th? That's in Apache Junction, an in and out run which I really don't care for but it's so scenic.  The IMS event is west Phoenix, same day, less scenic, more vehicle traffic as the course winds through different suburbs but post race is fun and festive.  I've run both and thinking I may be better off running one or the other. But I'm tempted to run in Marana, a HM technical trail event which I have never ran on but I haven't trained/run a trail since early Jan. so Lost Dutchman or IMS may be the way to go.

It's so flat here in MN, and too freaking cold to run outdoors so it has been frustrating, not getting the full training runs I am use to (re: trails, hills, elevation, etc.).  Nancy seems to be running just as much as she is globetrotting, that's sooo awesome!!  Lived in ND for 10 yrs, about 10 miles from Canadian border so I am not stranger to these frigid artic blasts for months on end! Cry

justrundan

Steve-glad you made the jump.  That looks like a nice schedule for this year!  More bling for the pics.

Debra- -10 in Baraboo this morning, wind chill about -22.  The snow is beautiful, but in a while I have to suit up and do the clean up!  DW & I will be in Milwaukee next week, I think I'll give the track @ Pettit Center a try on Thursday or Friday.  Forcast doesn't look like outdoor running for me and the TM @ hotel doesn't excite me too much.  I've never done an indoor track, so that should be fun.

Speaking of TM, 7 miles this morning to start February off right.  DS & DIL here this weekend, so the TM in basement will be less available.  Finished with 81 miles for January, mostly the low heart rate variety.  I've been able to run more day/week since it isn't so hard on the body.  Hopefully that will translate to better shape when training gets more serious soon.

Run strong and safe (and warm) this weekend friends!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Had a good tempo run yesterday, 1 mile warm, 4 miles @ 10:00 pace and 1 mile cool.  I was finishing up my run at the indoor track when the Marquette U track team sprinters began running 100's.  I felt like I was standing still next to them!  Actually felt a "breeze" when they blew by me.  Ah, youth!

Dan~Safe travels to/from Milwaukee, and enjoy your run at the Pettit.  The wind was so harsh yesterday, I'm so thankful to have the track to get my miles in.   I really never get bored running there.  My mind is always occupied with so many things or I try to visualize my favorite outdoor routes, Peninsula State Park in particular!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

AZ2MN - I did the Lost Dutchman 8K three years ago so I thought of running in the half but decided against it. Thinking of running the IMS but might have work that weekend so it's been kind of iffy. Would be a good indicator heading into the Phoenix half. Planning around a business computer network upgrade and coordinating deliveries and schedules..

The Marana event looks challenging. Just like the Whiskey Row elevation changes. Too soon for me, need more hill practice. Though if it were closer the 5-miler would be good practice.

Signed up for the Chinese Year of the Snake 5K in Papago Park. Drive through the area often and was wondering what the trails were like. Now I'll know.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

old-runner

Hi Folks... Nice to see such an active group of 50+ people! I've been running a little over four years... started at 56 in 2008 and will be 61 later this month. I run quite a few races (200+ so far) but not huge miles. I did run a couple of full marathons but swore off of that after I found out you had to run over 26 miles, so now I limit myself to half marathons.

I'm from North Carolina. Anybody else here from the Southeast?

Crazy Diamond

Richard~Welcome aboard, glad to have you join our merry band of runners!   Do you have a HM in your sights that you are training for next?

Enjoyed an hour on my cross country skis this morning thanks to the 3+ inches of new fallen snow.   Beautiful!  Then the remains of the day will be spent with domestic cross-training (housework)Wink and getting the ingredients for jambalaya prepared for tomorrow.   Twelve mile LSD bright and early tomorrow.  I'll check out the bike path conditions on my trip to pick up fresh Andouille sausage and hopefully it will be clear enough to run outside, or I'll be at the indoor track again.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Good chilly morning Mighty Masters. I am sooooo ready for spring.  Whether the groundhog saw his shadow or not, (it was partly cloudy here this am....currently snowing), I figure we are still in for 6 more weeks of winter. It thundered yesterday and the "old folks" say that means frost in May. Crazy weather!!!

I've done some runs on the treadmill, battled the cold for others. I don't mind the cold, but I surely do not like cold coupled w/ strong wind. Where is the cheese, I need it w/ my whine. Roll eyes

It is good to see most everyone from Active migrate over plus some new ones join our group.

I don't have any races planned in the near future. I do need to get on a plan and stay committed. Even though I'm running my regular 3-4 days per week, I feel like I'm slacking. Non running days are strength days.

What do you all do when you aren't on a plan?

Well stay warm and run happy.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

old-runner

Richard~Welcome aboard, glad to have you join our merry band of runners!   Do you have a HM in your sights that you are training for next?

Thanks Debra!  I'm running the Myrtle Beach (SC) Half Marathon on February 16th, the Gate River Run 15k in Jacksonville, Florida on March 9th, and the Germantown Half Marathon in Memphis on March 17th. I try to just stay in shape for half marathons all the time. All that entails is just doing a long run of 10-12 miles every weekend then jumping into a half marathon any time I get a chance.

I envy you people who can get out in the snow and enjoy it. Before I started running I'd basically never go outside if the temperature was colder than 60 degrees. I've run some cold weather races but it's never comfortable for me and lately I'm avoiding cold-weather races.

Chantilly75

Hello! i was on coolrunning until there were some updates to the site, which caused me a lot of problems, so I deleted my account.

Lurked around for awhile, then came on here.

>50 and have been running marathons for 13 years, but remain pretty slow due to arthritis.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone!

Hubby bought me new road shoes for early Valentine's day ......... will be apart that day due to my business travels.  Prefer trail running and found my 'perfect' trail shoes but still searching for road shoes.  Have another HM in couple of weeks, mostly paved course, ugh!!  So far, love the new pair on indoor track, ran 4.2 miles, 39 minutes, mostly intervals, while hubby walked.  'Warmed up' here today, about 5 below ZERO, light snow and breeze.  Achilles feeling good since running in trail shoes on TM but will see how new road shoes do on TM!  What a difference that made!! Can't wait to get back to my beloved trails at 7,000 ft elevation in a few days!!!  Going nuts with all this endless and unrelenting artic blasts in northern MN!!

oh, ran total miles of 78.4 miles for Jan!! not bad for twice a week when considering achilles and knee issue due to TM training runs, ugh!!

gito57:  awesome miles on cross-country!!

paintnrun:  sooooo relating to early spring!!  groundhog didn't see 'his shadow' so we may get out 'wish!"

oldrunner:  soooo awesome on your times; HMs are my fave too; goals are such a motivator to stay on track re: health and finish times!!  WAY TO GO!!

chantilly:  WOW!! that's amazing!!  marathoner to the max!!  glad you joined us and look forward to your wisdom on running marathons!!

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Welcome Chantilly!

Richard... I enjoyed your blog.

AZ, what a nice hubby you have!

I had a nice run this afternoon even in the cold wind. It snowed this morning, but cleared off this afternoon, so it begged for a run.

Is there a way to download my runs from garminconnect.com to the user logs?

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

justrundan

Welcome Chantilly & Richard.  Always good to have the 'more experienced' runners on here.

Quick 3.1 with fartleks on TM before heading to neighbors for SB party.

Have a great week running all!

Dan

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Just found a neat tool to figure weather and what to wear....all you have to do is fill in the zip code.

rungearguru.appspot.com

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

old-runner

Is there a way to download my runs from garminconnect.com to the user logs?

Marie

Marie...  There's an export option on Garmin Connect. I haven't used it and you probably just have to export one workout at a time. I have a Forerunner 405 and it reads the data from each run as soon as I walk in the door and posts it automatically to Garmin Connect. I usually don't access that data but RA reads it in without a problem without having to access the watch again. So at least your current and future runs should be read easily into RA even if your old ones might be more of a chore to get in the RA system. Maybe you already knew that, but just in case you didn't...

Chantilly75

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica