50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

WDWRich

Greetings friends!  Now that the Memorial Day weekend is over, I finally got a chance to post a race report on Saturday's Patriot 5/10k.

The race was held at Lake Murray in La Mesa, CA.  Bib pick-up started at 7am so DW and I arrived about 15 minutes before that time.  After getting our race bibs, we browsed the few vendor booths that were there and took a few photos next to the lake before warming up for our races.  I was happy to see lots of runners/walkers dressed in red/white/blue and/or carrying American flags.  This race benefited the Wounded Warrior Project which was the main reason I choose this particular event.

The 10k went off at 8:00 and the DW's 5k started at 8:15.  Weather at the start was cloudy with temps in the 60's.  As is my usual procedure, I had checked out the course map on the race website in advance and it showed a relatively flat out and back course on the wide paved path around the lake.  Okay- no problem there.  Well, not quite.  About 150 feet from the start, I see a small sign for the 10k pointing to the right off the paved path and up a steep dirt trail to the ridge above the lake.  No problem I thought, as I've been including hill runs in my training.  Unfortunately, since the trail was only about 3 feet wide at best, and we were hitting it at the very beginning of the race, the normal congestion of runners meant that everyone except those lucky few at the very front of the pack were forced to a shoulder-to-shoulder walk up the trail.  After running a 10k training run in 58 minutes flat two weeks prior, I was hoping for a sub-57 minute race, but I soon realized that plan was rapidly falling away as I walked up that hill in the midst of the crowd.  The trail reached the top of the ridge and continued along the flat top for about .2 miles, then turned back on itself and returned to the paved path below, mostly following the same route.  This meant more congestion with runners heading in opposite directions on the same narrow trail.  I figure I may have lost at least two minutes in all on this unexpected detour.  Once rejoining the paved lake path, the runners thinned out and I just settled into a pace that seemed to me to be my best pace for a 10k distance.

By the time I reached the turn-around point, the sun had burned off all the cloud cover and the temperature started to rise noticeably.  I hadn't bothered wearing my GPS watch this time out, so I didn't know for sure what my pace was, but it felt somewhat faster at this point compared to what I was usually comfortable with.  Perhaps losing time at the start caused me to push a bit harder because I ended up finishing in 57:57 at an overall pace of 9:20 per mile which was good enough for 2nd place in my AG.  I felt pretty good about that, at least for a short time until I checked the results for the next higher AG and saw that a 64 yo gentlemen from Colorado finished in 46:45 at a pace of 7:32.  Wow!

Back to training this week.  Next scheduled event is the Disneyland HM in September, but I may look for something to enter in July.

Keep on running everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Smile Hi everyone!  Finally back in MN, so good to be home and sleep in your own bed.  We left rainy/humid/cool northern MN for rainy/humid/hot Orlando for 6 days, most of which was spent indoors for a conference held at the Disney World park.  We've been to Orlando a couple of times before with KIDS and did all the tiring/non-stop/whole day 'fun' events to the theme parks, WHEW!! Rained both times during those trips too!  Except for Thursday evening when the main theme park closed for 4 hours for the conference attendees, we stayed at our hotel, or met up with colleagues for dinner/drinks, or sitting in sessions to get our CEs, or in the lounge by ourselves afterwards.  DH had to attend special meetings for the organizations he is involved in while I spent time in sessions and in the fitness ctr.  Honestly, in our opinion, it is not an ideal location to have a conference ($$$) for CEs necessary for licensures and not take advantage of the theme parks which results in missing many of the courses for CEs. You think we LEARNED our lesson but for DH, he had to attend.  Always a dilemma.  Anyway, it was too HUMID/WARM to run outside where I couldn't find a 'safe' (magical, haha) place to run anyway.  Met some runners who said the same thing but they ran where they could despite crowded places/people.  NOT ME!!  Don't have the patience and hate concrete/sidewalks, with too much traffic and confused drivers!!

So had to become friends with the TM:  ran Thursday, 6.1 miles, on the TM following the 'even stephen' running session, takes about an hour depending on pace.  I use this when short on time and/or on vacation stuck with a TM, it's an interval workout which really helps with my speed/stamina. My plan to run a benefit 5k on Friday didn't go due to transportation issue that early in the morning from our 'park' hotel to another 'park' hotel. Shuttle buses taking too long and was not gonna pay a taxi $25 dollars to go less than 10 miles without leaving the park.  So Rested Friday, boy, felt those muscles from Friday's run!!  On Saturday, ran 6.2 miles following the even stephen plan again, finishing the last mile with fartleks, at 1% grade, 7:30 m/m for 220, jog at 5.5 for 220, etc.  Felt awesome!  A/C not too helpful in the otherwise NICE, updated, smooth exercise machines and weights.  Started each workout with a mile on the elliptical, then finished each workout with a 1/2 mile on bike, and 1/2 mile on elliptical, then about 30 minutes with weights and core exercises.

Sad There was a bummer time for us regarding our dog, ODIE, who we left in a kennel.  Got a call on Saturday morning that Odie was looking depressed, lethargic, vomited a couple of times, just looking 'sick.' We told him to take him to Vet where tests/x-rays were done: high fever/dehydrated, an infection for sure as platelets low, possibly lyme disease, so he was put on antibiotics/steroids and fluids.  DH especially was so sad Sad the whole Saturday while I stayed optimistic.  Odie doesn't get sick much.  On Sunday, Vet called:  Big grin Odie is happy, running around, wagging tail with every attention he so loves! YIPPEE!! It made our day.  We couldn't wait to get home!

Gosh, so much to read but it looks like everyone is keeping up with their training!

Rich: how was your 10k?

Art:  hope you are out of your 'funk.'

Mkayc:  Wow, 6 days of running!! You need a recovery day now and then, take care.

Kathy:  so remarkable, your 6 HMs in 3 months!  Hope the aches/pains subside. Glad you have another goal for the Fall, way to go!

Deb: creating some cherishable memories with DS in regard to running is priceless!  Hope it happens.  What/where/when is your next race?

Dan:  DW deserves some quality time with you after all those training time away, I know the feeling.  You are truly a thoughtful hubby.

WDWRich

AZ - Welcome back from your trip!  I know what you mean about running outdoors at WDW.  Safe places to run at any extended distance are not easy to find on property.  At which hotel did you stay?

Thanks for asking about the 10k.  It was ok.  I posted a race report in this forum earlier today.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Rich:  now I get the WDW before your name .......duh!! Roll eyes must have missed that way back in the beginning ........  Joking We stayed at one of the 'overflow' hotels, Animal Kingdom lodge, because the conference hotel, the Dolphin, got fulled pretty quick in DEC.!!  With all that property, you'd think they would have some nice trails interconnecting each other, or even a large loop, for some of us 'to enjoy nature.'  I would even be happy with a 'groomed' trail although I prefer a dirt one.  We were okay staying away from the theme parks though.  We had those days already with our kids.  We are 'resting' now as we know we will be there with our granddaughters when they are older.

Anyway, just read your RR:  that was not a very good way to start a 'sprint' race, and doesn't sound like the course was not really thought through.  I can't imagine the lack of elbow room at different points to and from, must have been frustrating but you kept moving with it.  That's all you can do sometimes.  You still had an awesome finish time though, Rich, congrats on the AG place, WOW!!  How did DW do?  And, isn't it humbling when more 'mature' runners leave you in the dust?  That amazes me as much as it excites me as I want to be running when I get 'older!!'  

WDWRich

AZ - DW did the 5k in 40:39 (pace of 13:04).  No dirt trail for the 5k.  She usually power walks her races, but this time she did some intervals of jogging and ended up with a PR.  I was proud of her!

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous.  Nice place to stay as "overflow"!  Smile

Rich

Smile

YAY!! Such a nice cool humid day with the overcast and slight breeze, ran 12.2 miles, 2:16.  I ran on the usual frontage road which from my front door to the bar/grill is 1.15 miles.  I have been waiting for the snow to melt on the trail used by snowmobiles/4-wheelers which I saw was mostly dry and ended up adding another 1.25 miles, one way!! And in a couple of areas, the inclines from the trail down into the 'ditch' and back up made for quick, steep hill repeats.  Did about 5 hill repeats of about 8 seconds each at mile 2.5 and mile 3 before heading home to hydrate, ran the trail again, and finished the last 2 miles around the neighborhood.  The extended trail parallels the 4-lane expressway; it is mostly soft grass, some soft dirt/sand and I felt so 'at home.'  I am tickled pink!! Big grin

So I feel like I can make 12 miles my base mileage now, slowly worked my way up to that distance for my training runs.  I think the two days of the 'even stephen' workout really helped with my stamina and pace.  I felt comfortable for most of the distance at the pace for each mile although pace slower during hill repeats but I could have gone another couple of miles in the end.  Don't want to risk injury due to 'too much, too fast, too soon.'

Next race:  June 8th, HM TRAIL RACE, in Brainerd, MN, called Sour Grapes Half & Half. 

Rested yesterday.  Today, I'm finally out the door for a run during the hottest/humid time of the day!!  Didn't bring any water with me so had to head home from my new found 'trail' after 5 miles.  Did about 5 short hill repeats and 5 sprints of 100 yds along the way just because I can Joking, jogging about 30 seconds in between .......mainly to keep my mind off the humidity, wind and to get home quicker!! Wink  Felt depleted by the time I got home.  Walked a minuted, drank cold glass of water and a teaspoon of salt, walked another minute, felt better and finished the last 2 miles around the neighborhood at a comfortable pace.  Felt much better.  Decided against running another 2 miles due to the high humidity and heat and wind picked up.  Finished 8.2 miles, 1:28.  Gotta bring water with me now!!  Evening turned out to be very nice, wind died down to a slight breeze, so green here!!

justrundan

Rested yesterday.  Today, I'm finally out the door for a run during the hottest/humid time of the day!!  Didn't bring any water with me so had to head home from my new found 'trail' after 5 miles.  Did about 5 short hill repeats and 5 sprints of 100 yds along the way just because I can Joking, jogging about 30 seconds in between .......mainly to keep my mind off the humidity, wind and to get home quicker!! Wink  Felt depleted by the time I got home.  Walked a minuted, drank cold glass of water and a teaspoon of salt, walked another minute, felt better and finished the last 2 miles around the neighborhood at a comfortable pace.  Felt much better.  Decided against running another 2 miles due to the high humidity and heat and wind picked up.  Finished 8.2 miles, 1:28.  Gotta bring water with me now!!  Evening turned out to be very nice, wind died down to a slight breeze, so green here!!

Yes, the humidity!!  I was out the door @ 0440 this morning, about 60 degrees.  I ran a relatively easy/slow 5.25 miles and was dripping by the time I got home.  Nothing evaporates!  At least it wasn't in the heat like you AZ!  Some rain every day this week.  You're right, it is SO GREEN right now. Such a contrast to the drought conditions last summer.  Beautiful.

Rich, that really does sound like an odd start to your race.  talk about congested!

Run strong but cool this weekend!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Desktop problems have kept me from posting, but I've kept up with reading on the tablet.  Great running all!

Rich~Congratulations on a great 10k race esp. considering the start and less-than-ideal route.  WTG on the 2/AG, too!  You dug in and made it happen!  The winter run series I participate in has one race with similar challenges.  500 runners + out & back on a narrow bike path + potential snow/ice coverage = PR not likely!  All the best in training for the Disneyland HM!

AZ~First, happy to read Odie is doing better!  DS1 was a huge "Garfield the Cat" fan.  Is that where you got the name?  So happy to read you have found a training route that makes you "feel at home" and "tickled pink"!  You have had some great training runs and good job dealing with the heat, humidity, wind and the rain.  Keep it up, and stay hydrated.  You are going to ROCK the Sour Grapes Trail HM!

Dan~Great work getting out there in all the humidity and rain we've been having!  I hope it will help with the Lake Michigan water levels! (Or Mayor Emmanuel should turn the flush valve off in Chicago!)  Thank you for the endorsement for the Fox Cities FM.  It is one of the FMs I have considered.  My cousin belongs to a church on the FM route and the choir gets out and sings to the runners!  The Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in October '14 is probably going to be the one.  It's run by the local running club and highly praised.  I've been a spectator for years, and I'm volunteering this year.

I've been in a general funk for the past week - grrr!  I've run a couple of times, but my heart wasn't in it.   I've had to make a "big-girl" decision to transfer my bib for the Rock n' Sole HM on 6/15.  Number 1, I'm not as prepared as I would like to be, and the route for this race is not for the faint-of-heart.  I was also asked to work a special event for my job and declining was not an option.  So last night I got out the local running club's race book and found a couple of late summer HM's that I signed up for.  One of the HM's was only $23, love that!Big grin

Have a great weekend everyone.  Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra-  too bad about Rock the Sole HM.  What is it about it that's tough?  The bridge?  I'm glad I have this time off between races.  AZ2MN-  How do you do that!?  Isn't this your 3rd HM in 5 weeks?  The lakefront marathon sounds fun too. you'll have to let me know how the volunteering goes.  Do you know what you will be doing?

AZ-  You've been training hard since you got back to MN.  Good luck next weekend.

Did my long run today as I'm on call tomorrow and DD's shower is at our house, so I may be running errands for last minute things.  Tried to keep 11:30-12:30 for miles 1-10, which I accomplished.  Decided to push to about the pace I ran @ DCHM for the next 3.1 miles.  I've read it's good to push at the end of a long run to "teach the legs to run when they are tired".  I was able to pace @ 10:14, 10:06 & 9:52 for those 3 miles, then VERY slow walk/job the last mile or so to my truck.

Have a great weekend all.  Enjoy your runs/races.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~You remind me of my DH!  Always lending a helping hand even when it's for an event where no guys are allowed!  I hope it's a beautiful day for you and DW as your DD is showered with love, happiness & nice presents!  Excellent job pushing the envelope those last 3 miles of you LSD!  I'm always surprised to find I still have a little bit left in the tank at the end!  Re: Rock n' Sole HM - If I wasn't asked to work that day I probably would have run it anyway, although I'd have to do A LOT of walking!  The bridge is the fun part, but there is obviously no cover up there and a large part of the course is open.  Sun, w/ no shade is very tough for me.   I never would've considered this race again after the inaugural year disaster, but the management team and new RD made significant improvements to the race.  Friends that ran it last year,  RAVED about it -- so I'll try again next year.  Not sure exactly what my job will be for Lakefront FM.  Checked off a couple of boxes(aid station, sign in, finish line) on the volunteer form.   My DH calls me a "drive-by volunteer".  It's fun to be on the other side of a race for a change and give back when I can, too.

Quo Vadis?

Happy Friday!

Dan:  You know I didn't even think about it that way "3 HMs in 5 wks?" ....... but now, come to think of it, YES!!  I'm no 'IRON GIRL' even tho' I wear a cap that says that but I have ALWAYS HAD a really tough time NOT RACING each month ......I'm beginning to think that I should consider more 10ks ..... OM goodness, that doesn't EVEN sound like something I would have ever thought of but maybe I'm seeking a some sort of a 'replacement' for the lack of TRAIL RACES here in the midwest.  I really miss my trails in northern AZ and the numerous TRAIL races practically year round where I can go from northern AZ's 7,000+ ft in elevation to Phoenix 1200 ft.  I think I'm 'grieving.'  Transition for me has been tough to say the least since moving to northern MN, and the acclimation to the HOT/HUMID adds to that difficulty.  Also, a part of me just doesn't want to feel like I'm starting ALL OVER AGAIN where I am huffing and puffing after A MILE!!  DH thinks that it's simply my 'abnormal high type A' competitiveness .......I admit I'm 'intense' but I can be 'calm' thus the trail running 'with nature' ........  I think he confuses extremely assertive organized multi-tasking skiills with Type A behavior, Joking.

Debra:  i absolutely can understand and relate to the "heart" not being into it ........... those funky days seem to last forever but I think it's our body screaming for some rest sometimes.  I'm waiting for it in my case, haha!!  "Odie" was named by our son when he was around 8 yrs old and loved to have a 'big, fat cat' .....haha!!  According to the Vet at the time who checked both dogs, DS and DH 'saved' Odie and his brother, Elvis (named by DH b/c 'Elvis' back leg shook all the time) from prior "owner" who abused them, it took awhile to gain their trust but they have been the best loyal dogs.  Elvis, sadly, died about 8 yrs ago after we moved to AZ.  DH and Odie were depressed for months. It's amazing how deep the bond is when it comes to our pets.  Gosh, I know how hard opting out of a race can be ............ I felt like crying when I read that ......... had to do that a couple of times and kiss my registration fees 'adios' ....... lucky you found others who you can transfer it to.  But, you'll appreciate the work it takes to be part of a race from a volunteer's perspective ........... did that a few times too.  How did you find a HM for $23?!? AMAZING DEAL!!  I would rather pay that and bring my own tech shirt!!  See, your 'volunteerism' already has PAID YOU BACK!!!  Good Karma!!

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Hi Mighty Masters. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around and kicking  running. Summer arrived w/ a vengeance. Hot & humid, but it has been beautiful.  When looking at time/pace, it is frustrating to see that slow down for the temp change, but I'll get used to it.

I'm running 4 days per week and working on building to the Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare HM & 10K over Labor Day. Being Disney, I'm not looking to run fast, but to have fun. DD & I have our costumes although they will need some alterations.

We're planning on another HM in the fall, most likely a Halloween race in a nearby town. Lots will depend on her work schedule.

Still taking care of my parents and each week brings new challenges.  What I have learned most is that taking care of your health is most important. This group is on the right track to have a good quality of life long into the later years.

Good running everyone. Congrats on all of your accomplishments and  overcoming adversity.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Kathy - Excuse me for mixing up your amazing HM accomplishments with Marie's Phenomenal Goofy Challenge! Thanks for the reminder! Xtraining is definitely on the menu. Hope you get a lot of good golf and whatever else is in your plans done!

Rich - Congratulations on your amazing 10k and 2d place AG! Awesome, awesome time!! Way to push through and make the best out it despite the delays!! Frankly, I don't appreciate this type of kink in a course; if folks want to make a course more difficult, they should add in some hills or technical trails, not bottlenecks that have a potential to cause accidents to happen. IMO. Great job by your wife moving from walking to intervals! So if you're in So. Cal, why WDW and not WD?

Dan - 4:30 ?? Is it that hot and humid or were you pushed for time? That's dedication!! Hope your DD's shower was great!! So exciting to have a wedding coming!

Debra - So Sorry about work interfering with your race plans. I don't know what I'd do if that happened. Actually, I do know because I had to pass on a race last year because of a road trip but I almost had to travel to So. KY for a meeting the morning after the Pig and that would have been a different situation. I have a HM 6/23 and am also not at all ready but was thinking today of just doing it anyway. That $23 HM sounds great! Hope its early or really late!

Marie - I missed hearing about your training! Disney Double Dare HM and 10k? that's a nice duo! I know your costumes will have a lot of character. Big grin Let us know how it goes?

Life (helping a friend through a family emergency) and work (two promotion interviews last week along with regular demands) have been interfering in mostly good ways but the stress has been out of control. Fortunately, that's run its course sort of, at least for now, and I can get back into a routine, hopefully. AFter my last post, I went an entire week without running. Tried to run an LSD last Monday but didn't get more than 3.25 before my HR shot up and I got hit with mourning for my mother so ended up walking the rest.

Ran a very humid 5k (Steady Strides for Parkinson's) Saturday morning. The course was loops of the high school parking lot and track so I tried a warm up lap and couldn't make it more than half jogging and that was after using the inhaler. I've been training to run a 5k flat out and haven't broken 40 min. yet this year. Decided if I wanted to finish and not walk, I'd have to run intervals. Was at 38:24 at 3m and finished w 40:49, dammit! I walked after 3. Tried to run but was totally spent. Had to bend over to breathe for a while. Sad  Interestingly, the 4 other AG women faster were just barely; fastest was 38:32. Last year I beat that on my first 5k. My electronics say I really ran 3.25 and at that distance my pace was ok for where I am at right now. Still, I want to be running a 10 mm by 9/25 so I'm also dieting. It may just be working (if I can trust the scale and keep at it).

This morning it was 75 and humid with a little wind that made being in the sun comfortable but without it a little stifling. I ran another failed LSD. At least this time I can say I enjoyed the first two miles. This moody lifelessness I am feeling is not working for me and on top of that where the hell is my muscle strength?? I covered 26 mi on my feet for 7 hr, dammit! Today I felt like quitting after 3.5 and mostly walked the last two miles. Debra, I feel like we are on the same emotional wavelength.  My inner Amazon had better wake up soon because I could become the world's laziest person. I have great potential! I also have a HM in three effing weeks that may turn into a very boring hike. I was actually looking forward to it; it's the second annual Chicago Women's HM.  So I've spent the day doing laundry and sitting around eating a little more than usual.

Run Strong and Safe!!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me