50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Oh, how I wish I could give you a hug!  I am so very sorry for your family's loss.  Sending loving thoughts and prayers to get you through the coming days.  Take care.

Quo Vadis?

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

AZ, my deepest sympathy to your family.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

justrundan

AZ- so sorry for your loss.  I'll be praying for you and DH, and your FIL.  So hard after so many years!  I've heard that announcement so many times over the years working in the hospital.  Now that I'm primarily office based it is still an issue; I visited a patient after office hours who is struggling to recover from pneumonia, many of the same issues it sounds like your MIL had.  And she just doesn't look good.

DW & I had an amazing celebration of her BD last Saturday, going out to a favorite restaurant, nice drive in her convertible, gifted her with 2 books illustrated by Melody Lea Lamb, artist extraordinaire from over on the MyLastRunWas... thread.  Sunday morning as we were getting ready for church we got a call from DS; dearDIL had a miscarriage Saturday night and our dreams of our first grandbaby were gone.  As a physician I know it is so common, but it hit us so hard...   we drove to their home in northeastern WI that morning to spend some time with them and love them.  They are doing OK, but are hurting for sure.

So not a lot of drive to get out on the road; went out this morning by forcing myself, but the enthusiasm wasn't there.  But it will return.

Celebrate a glorious Independence Day friends, and hug those family members extra long when you see them.

Dan

Dan - so sorry for your family's loss!! So glad you and your wife could be with DS and DIL during this time!! DW 's BD sounded like a great day!

Az - Thinking about you and your family during this difficult time.

Kathy - I'll bet you run in heat and humidity every day! Is 5:00 a.m. early enough? We started last Saturday at 7:30 but that was only good for the first hour and then Bam!  You are running 4 days a week now and xtraining 2 days a week but will do more during training?

I could use some advice. I've been trying to write a training plan that will help me ramp up my pace for a 5k on 9/20 but also prepare me for a full (the Marine Corps) on 10/25. I read through Run Faster (Hudson) and the Hansons' Marathon Method and a bunch of training plans online. I've watched folks have a lot of success building speed with 5 or 6 weekly runs. I've been doing this for the last four weeks but am hitting a wall when I try to go farther. Maybe that's just an adjustment. Anyway, at 64, I worry about injury. The Hansons make no distinction for age but also don't mention it either. Hudson recommends only three weekly runs for Masters but I trained with 4 without any problem in the spring. I added a fifth run the first year I trained and had injuries whenever I added hills or speed that wasn't on the plan. So those are the only boundaries I know.  Kathy, I take it you've run more than 4x week during training? I forget. Anyone else? 

Run Safe and Strong!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

dyykjt1

Dan - so sorry for your family's loss!! So glad you and your wife could be with DS and DIL during this time!! DW 's BD sounded like a great day!

Az - Thinking about you and your family during this difficult time.

Kathy - I'll bet you run in heat and humidity every day! Is 5:00 a.m. early enough? We started last Saturday at 7:30 but that was only good for the first hour and then Bam!  You are running 4 days a week now and xtraining 2 days a week but will do more during training?

I could use some advice. I've been trying to write a training plan that will help me ramp up my pace for a 5k on 9/20 but also prepare me for a full (the Marine Corps) on 10/25. I read through Run Faster (Hudson) and the Hansons' Marathon Method and a bunch of training plans online. I've watched folks have a lot of success building speed with 5 or 6 weekly runs. I've been doing this for the last four weeks but am hitting a wall when I try to go farther. Maybe that's just an adjustment. Anyway, at 64, I worry about injury. The Hansons make no distinction for age but also don't mention it either. Hudson recommends only three weekly runs for Masters but I trained with 4 without any problem in the spring. I added a fifth run the first year I trained and had injuries whenever I added hills or speed that wasn't on the plan. So those are the only boundaries I know.  Kathy, I take it you've run more than 4x week during training? I forget. Anyone else? 

Run Safe and Strong!

Hi Mary Kay!

Yes, I usually run 6 days a week when training, but not sure that I will do that this next training season. I endured a lot of injuries and muscle imbalances from doing nothing but running.

My body is just now getting better and I am running better now since I have cut my running to 4 days a week with 2 days cross training. The muscle imbalances are much better and has eliminated my hip pain and my ITB problems. I will not give up my 2 weight training sessions nor my cardio mix classes on the same days that I do my weight training. I feel that these classes are helping me to keep my hip flexors loose and at the same time are keeping my muscles in balance. I have added a lot of upper body and core strength with my weight lifting which is helping me tremendously about not tiring as quickly. I may add a easy run on Sunday afternoon when I start my training, but it will be just that EZ and no more than 3 miles. It will be more of a shake out run than anything else. I will also add more distance to my weekday runs and ofcourse increase my LSR on Saturday by 10% each week.

Currently this is my schedule, which will remain the same except for maybe the EZ run on Sunday and an increase in mileage.

Mon- I start this run with 1 mi very easy W/U; light stretch and 7 Drills + 3 Strides

Track workout - this varies week to week, but this week I ran 6 sets of Run 2:00 @ 10:47 mi then Jog for 2:00

Cool down - Jog 1 mi very easy; Stretch

Miles - 5.15

Tues - 60 min Strength training at Gym followed by 50 min Cardio Mix Class.

In the evening, I will sometimes walk 3 mi with my husband or play racquetball

Wed - Threshold Run - this varies from week to week also, but this is what I did this morning.

Same W/U as Monday along with Drills and Strides

1. Run 10:00 @ 12:59/mi

2. Run  5:00  @  12:23/mi

3. Run 10:00 @ 12:59/mi

4. Run   5:00 @ 12:23/mi

Same Cool down as Monday

Miles - 5.59

Thurs: Strength Training/Spin Class or Zumba

Walk 3 mi with Ken

Fri:      Maintenance Run 50-55 mins. @ 12:30/mi

Sat:     Long Run: 12 mi. @ 12:30-13:00/min mi

Sun     Rest - Golf or Swim

The distance and paces change from week to week. Some weeks have up to 30 miles and some weeks as little as 19 miles. I have found that the weeks with 19 miles or so are a welcome change and gives my body time to rest and recoup, but still keep my conditioning up.

As I said, I cannot see myself giving up my Strength training or my classes to add runs. I think I am getting as much or more from these days than going out to run 3 or 4 junk miles. Of course, this is what works for me..I am not saying that it is what everyone else should be doing! LOL

Also, I can speak from my own experience....you can drive yourself crazy looking at so many different plans, programs, what other people are doing etc. I have started and stopped so many plans that it is not even funny. I always seemed to think that if I quit the one I was on and went to one everyone else seemed to be doing that I would show astronomical improvements in my running! It never happened! Shocked I have found that I do much better to just pick a plan that seems to be doable for me and my schedule that includes, speed work, hills and a long run and STICK to it! So far, so good! Smile

On another note, may I say how proud of you I am! At 61.5, I have many more aches and pains and it takes me longer to recover than it did even at 59! You are amazing at 64! You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

dyykjt1

AZ. So sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially your FIL and husband for comfort and peace.

Dan ~ so sorry for your families loss also. I know how exciting the news of the pregnancy with the first grandchild can be. I can only imagine the hurt and loss that your DS and DIL are feeling now as well as you and your wife. Prayers for all.

Your DW's BD sounds awesome!!! I know she was very happy!

Kathy, i am so proud of you! And your DD!! I never would have thought to try to run a full if it hadn't been for you and Tony sharing so freely! And I am sooo thankful!!!

Your training information is exactly what I was looking for and, btw, I am almost training at the same pace but a little slower. Last 5k had 16 women in our AG and all ran paces around 12:00 and up. Of course larger races get a broader range (8:00 +) so I know there's lot of room for my improvement. And, I haven't really started to *run*.

After posting, i stopped and asked my PT guy whose office just happened to be close to where I was. He is in his 40s and said he only runs 3x weekly and can't see adding more. He said he might add a fourth but never more. He likes to "go all out" on every run and found he can't do that without recovery days.

I am listening to both you and him and following the Hudson an for Masters with one small adjustment, moving the LSDs from Sun to Sat so I can run w the group. I'll post it when I've finished putting it in a document. Also, i have HMs Sept. and Nov with a full 10/27 and am already into training week 4. With yours spread over 4 months, it will be interesting to see which one you call your goal race!

It feels good to have a plan! Thank You, again!!!

Mary Kay

Art in AZ

AZ and Dan - My sympathy to you and your families.

Hello to everyone else and Happy 4th of July to all. Hope everyone has clear skies to view the fireworks.

Getting my runs in but sometimes it is a struggle.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Mary Kay - As for your advice, in no particular order. All of this is my opinion based on what has worked for me.

First, what is your goal? I don't recall you ever stating one. You seem to be trying to be at both ends of the stick. Hoping for a faster 5K time and then doing a full a month later. Two different events and diametrically opposed in my opinion. One can do speed the other needs stamina. I like longer events. I do some 5Ks for certain charities and I'm competitive with my self in those events. There will always be someone faster in a race.

I agree with Kathy, pick a plan and go with it for a while. There are several plans and ideas because nothing works for everybody. And the reason age isn't mentioned in most plans is, IMO, liability. Some of us are more athletic than others. Some of us respond faster, have better mental capacity, etc. You have to figure out where you are and where you want to go. Then figure out how to get there.

All of us worry about injury. The important thing is to know when to slow down and rest. And not to feel sorry for our self because we didn't or couldn't accomplish something that day. Running and exercising should help us reduce stress. You seem to be adding to your stress by trying to do so many things and not knowing what to do.

You could run every day of the week if you wanted. Most trainers don't suggest it but it boils down to is what kind of runs are you doing. You are better off doing like Kathy, others and I do. Mix it up  Run 3 or 4 days a week. Do strength and core exercises 2 or 3 days a week. Do a progressively longer run on the weekend. Ride a bike. Walk. Anything to keep moving.

I'm a couple of years younger than you. Boy, I don't say that often. But think of how many people we know our age that are not doing anything. That is the accomplishment we have. We choose to do something about our health and well being. Remember Phyllis from the Active board. I think that's her name. Wasn't she in her 80s and race walking training for the Senior Olympics. I admire you that you did a full and will be doing another one. Me personally, I have no desire to do a full. There are too many other things I want to do with my time.

I don't think you hit a wall. Four weeks isn't enough time at our age to see a big improvement. Incremental improvements will be slow but they will come. You've proven that you can do it. Just keep doing it and it will get better. Just at a slower pace.

Hope this makes sense.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

Dan~So sorry to hear the sad news.  It is a tragic thing to have to go through.  I'm sure it helped DS and DDIL to have you and DW with them for comfort and a reassurance.

Quo Vadis?

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Good morning my mighty master friends.

Dan, my sincerest sympathy to your family.

Mary Kay, Kathy and others have given you excellent advise. We each have to find the plan that works for us. That is like finding the ideal running shoe.....Does such a thing exist?!?!?  oh how many I have gone through!  Also know that what works today, may change or at least will evolve as time passes.

My goal is to continue to run healthy for as long as I possible can. The Galloway method works for me, but it isn't for everyone.

I'm in awe of Kathy's run and workout schedule!  Wow Lady you are a machine!!!

This summer I have been running successfully 5 days per week and enjoying it.  I do a hill repeats one day, and do cadence drills w/ acceleration gliders one day, a long run.  The other days are easy or what ever I'm feeling like. Generally average 4-5 miles on the mid week runs. I do strength training 2 days per week, it may be a DVD or a series of exercise designed to work the entire body. I do stretches....maybe yoga or my own series. We walk a lot.

I celebrate my 62nd birthday this Thursday.  No, I'm NOT planning to run that many miles....but maybe 6.2 would be good. :-)

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend and that this week brings lots of happy miles!

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Marie - I see you are getting those runs in! That's impressive numbers, particularly given how hot and hilly it is down there!! You are a machine!! Thanks for your wisdom!

Debra - while I was peeking at Marie's training log, I took a look at yours. Amazing miles you've logged!! Good job!!

Art - Thank you so much for your well considered words. I totally agree with everything you wrote, including the part about me adding stress unnecessarily. This might be what a few of the men at work have observed that made them accused and then dismissed me saying I create drama. Why they couldn't be supportive and just observe that I seemed stressed instead of finding something to criticize and pouncing is beyond me. We aren't in competition and these were supposed to be my friends. Anyway I got off on a tangent. I do remember Phyllis and miss her posts. I didn't know you were with us on Active. I'd love to place you. What was your "handle"?

My goal race is the Marine Corps Marathon (10/27) but I also wanted to get my 5k under 10:00 pace by 9/20.  I know I am going in two directions and I miss my trail runs a lot so that's why I was trying to customize. I'll sacrifice the 5k pace since I have completed my fundraising for the MCM and have to run it come hell or high water. So, I've settled on the Hanson Master's training plan with a fourth running day (instead of three) and three days of core strength exercises. Let's see if I can get that done!

Happy Monday, all!!

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

MaryKay~Congrats on completing MCM fundraising!  It sure must ease your stress getting it out of the way.  You're training plan looks solid, too.  Sweet photo of Phyllis ... miss her.Sad

Marie~HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!  Enjoy celebrating it with a 6.2 run on Thursday.Big grin

Art~Lots of wisdom in your post.  Thanks, appreciate learning from all your experience.

Kathy~Thank you for sharing your training/workout schedule. I'm in awe!

DS1 and I ran the 35th Annual Firecracker Four on Independence Day.  It was very "hot & sticky", but the route ran through a shaded park and residential neighborhood.  Lots of spectators had running hoses and sprinklers on the route, and one family offered freeze pops served from a cooler! Cool My kind of Aid Station!  I was hoping to come in under 40 minutes and my time was 39:13 (9:49 pace).  Cut 7:15 off last year's time for this race.  Winning time in my AG was 30:39!  Always a great race put on by the local running group. Only in Milwaukee can you finish a 8am race and then have beer for breakfast! Wink

Got out at 5:30am on Sunday to run LSD of 12 miles before the temps hit 90F for the first time this year. Dewpoint was 69!  The bike path is mostly deep shade, but it also make for a very "muggy & buggy" run.  DH packed frozen water bottles and sliced oranges in the bike pannier to help keep hydrated and cool.  It was a good, strong run.  Once home stretches, foam roller & big mug of coffee!  Later in the day though, very tight in right calf and hamstring just above the back of my knee.  More stretching and rolling.  Felt better on Monday for my 4 mile walk, but some tightness remains.  Maybe time for new shoes?  Today calls for an easy 3 miles, I'll see how it goes.

Have a great week, and run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Hi everyone, thank you for all your thoughtful well wishes for DH and family.

We returned home to MN last night.

It was a blessing that everything fell into place for the Saturday funeral.

There was a gentle rain for most of the morning.

The family spent the rest of the day with FIL at the house.

DH had a nose bleed in the afternoon which stopped after about 30 minutes.

Later that night, he took a shower and got another nosebleed.  After non-stop bleeding for about 30 minutes, I insisted we go to the ER.

I did not want to have a re-play of the March incident when he bled so much, he got sick from swallowing blood, and weak that he couldn't stand anymore, much less walk.  Had to call 911 and because of his heart condition, they had to give him nitroglycerine which he had the most awful and terrifying reaction to.  He does take anti-coagulates so that doesn't help.

Anyway, as before, the treatment required cauterizing the bleeding vessel with a chemical (silver nitrate) which also causes unsightly staining of the skin.  We got home around 1:30 am.  I was so exhausted, I was asleep before I my head hit the pillow.  He had a couple of shorter nosebleeds the next day, and I had to MAKE him sit still. The sisters and SILs all left by then so DH was trying to take care of last minute stuff for his dad (chopping wood, etc.). He is off the aspirin for a few days.  So the rest of Sunday, he watched TV while the older sister and I cleaned up FIL's 'man cave.' Shocked  Took ALL DAY!!  We can see the carpet now!!  Wink FIL is coping and we all know there will be very difficult days ahead.

We will be visiting FIL again this weekend.

Although I have been feeling kinda crappy, and still trying to acclimate, I took my running shoes and ran:

Friday, June 21:  6.2 miles, 1:05, nice and easy on the track.  At 8:30 pm, it was still 75 degrees and the humidity had a cool clammy feel due to the slight breeze.

Sunday, June 23:  7.1 miles, 1:13, tempo run on the track with 1 minute walk breaks after every mile.  Ran in the morning, about 8:00 am, it was already 70 degrees but another cool breeze made it tolerable.

Wed., July 3: 8.2 miles, 1:15, tempo run on the track again with 1 minute walk breaks after every 2 miles.  Ran about 8 pm, about 79 degrees!!

Thurs., July 4th:  5.5 miles, 1:05.  About 7 am, already 65 degrees, muggy.  Slow and easy run. DH dropped me off at a stop sign on the way to FIL house, then did 3 hill repeats which took me a whole minute, pretty steep for about 50 yards, it was tough but invigorating!  Calves have been feeling it since then.

Haven't run since.  Been raining all morning today.  Talk about humidity!!

Take care everyone.  Too many posts to catch up on but it looks like everyone is keeping up their mileage!!

Art in AZ

Mark Kay - Great picture of Phyllis. On the Active board I just lurked. Don't think I ever posted.

Your goal of doing a 5K under a 10:00 min. pace is doable. But think of how you might achieve it. If you are like most of us the first couple of miles are warm-up. Think of how many of us are able to do negative splits when doing a half. You get into a zone and just run. Kind of hard to do in a 5K. At least for me. As you train for the full watch your times. They should fall the more you run. Your earlier times will improve as you run longer distances.

I'm not familiar with any of the plans but they should have you doing some "speed" work during your training. If not just add it in to your runs. Start with a number and slowly build. Start with 15 seconds for a week and then do 30 seconds the next week. If the times are too short and easy increase them. You can also pick a time each month and run a 5K and note your time. Take a mile walk break and then run the rest of your miles according to the plan. Lots of ways to monitor your progress. Remember you do not want to get hurt.

Another thing I wanted to add and I think most will agree with me is it's hard training during the summer. The heat and humidity just beats us up. Depending where we are makes a difference in our times and how we feel. Let's say our favorite temp for running is 50 degrees. Input your own figure for this. Now figure what we are running in now. Here in Mesa, AZ the morning temp is upper 80s to lower 90s right now. That's a big difference. Then add the humidity. Talk about a double whammy. We will never have great times during the summer.

Marie - Happy birthday. 6.2 miles would be a nice run.

Debra - Nice run on the 4th. Nice neighborhood aid stations. A 12 mile run on Sunday. I'm impressed. I struggle to get 6-7 miles in before feeling beat up.

AZ - Hopefully things will return to a regular life soon for you and your husband. Glad you were able to get some runs in. I'm sure that helped with the stress a little. Boy do I remember the Midwest humidity. What was that you were saying a little while ago about the cold weather?Smile

Enjoy everyone.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ