50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

AZ - That half sounds like it's just your type. I'm still thinking about doing the Groom Creek Half on 09/28. My concern is the elevation difference, 6,000'+ and the elevation change of roughly 500'. Though running in cool weather would be nice. I just wonder what my body would think of the big change.

As for the sweat. There's no getting around it here this time of the year. Sometimes I take 2 bandanas and change half way through the run. It helps when everything else is soaked with sweat.

Dan - I hear you on trying to get in longer runs when an event gets closer. My last "long run" was a 24 mile bike ride with hills. Was out a little over 2 hours to let my body work the same time as a half. Well, that's what I told myself.

Marie - I would think my neighbors would think the same thing seeing someone in a costume running around the neighborhood.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

It poured most of the morning, on the phone (conference calls, colleagues, family) most of the morning; just wondering how muddy the trail is getting, should I run or not?  But sun came out and humidity rose, ugh!!  About 80 degrees again, and the humidity was brutal.  But couple of hours later, clouds moved in again, took it as a sign to get my butt out there and 'just run for at least 4 miles.'  Totally spaced out my garmin but used cellphone to time my run.  About 45 minutes into the run, it begin to rain gently but the swaying of the trees from the breeze seemed to deflect most of the drops of rain, love the soft sounds of the trees in the breeze, very zen-ful, hmmm.  And invigorating!  Ran for about 1:30 minutes so guessing I got in at least 6 miles, incorporated a few short hills this time by switching to the snow-mobile trail in between the trail loop runs.  I was drenched!!!  Even though I sprayed on repellent, I was getting hounded by mosquitoes when I was standing still.  Time to go home!

So I'm wondering if I should go for a longer run tomorrow ......... 10 or 12 miles, or rest and run on Saturday instead .......... guess it will depend on the weather and weekend plans ........

Art:  That is a HUGE gain, and I have seen runners from 'the valley' getting wiped out during trail races up 'in the north country.'  I think if you were already running at least 16 miles, it would 'compensate' for the elevation to some degree.  I can run two or three 10 milers as training runs  in Flag at 7,000 ft and do pretty well in a HM in Phx at about 1500 ft.  I just found how difficult it can be going from MN low elevation (about the same as PHX) to Flag just recently, GASP!!!  If you do run the event, take it easy.  I know you can do it.   Just enjoy the break from the heat at least.  Maybe the changing of the color of the leaves will be in effect, just gorgeous!!

Ray:  where in CO did you go camping?  When and where is your next race? Marie:  we want photos!!

Deb and Rich:  hope all is going well.

rmcj001

Az - #1 Sweat in the eyes, starts around mile 4, so shirt get extra duty wiping forehead and eye sockets.  #2 Hiked from Aspen to Crested Butte and back the next day.  No camping, friends and wife don't really camp, so hotels. #3 Next race is Zombie Runner Vasona Lake, part of the Zoom Running Series on Monday, 9/2/13.  I work across the street from the course and run most days around Lake Vasona.

Art - 6000" of elevation change is a lot.  On our Colorado hike we hit just under 12,500 and everyone in our group was sucking wind.  Our friends are from Boulder so an elevation change of just over 6K for them.  I've read somewhere (running magazine) if you don't have time to acclimate, ~2 weeks, you should minimize your time at elevation, e.g. show up day of race.  You're still affected by the elevation, but you don't wear your body down before hand...

Went to Big Sur yesterday to hike with Family.  Driving down the coast weather was all over the place. 64F in some places and couple miles later in the 90s.  Hike temps were fine if you were in the shade, but brutal in the sun.  Wife and I got lost and group got started before us, so we ended up run/jogging the first 1.5 miles.  Didn't realize how warm it was, just dripping after we stopped.  We ended up hiking almost 12 miles and getting back to the car in the dark.  It was good.

Ray

Smile HAPPY LABOR DAY everyone! 

Best of luck Ray on your race today, and to anyone else!!  I know you're gonna rock that course!

Rested Friday, and woke up to a nice cloudless Saturday morning. Despite the sunny day, the temps were much cooler with the slight breeze, in the 60s throughout the morning but it started to warm up!! We decided to go for a harley ride to a town about 50 miles away where the road wides through the National Forest. It was pretty warm by the time we stopped for lunch, where other bikers were also stopping and we talked with them, many finding my V-Rod 'interesting' and 'first time I saw one' to ''looks like a fast bike for a little lady" (very typical comment from 'old school bikers').  I usually tend to be the only female who rides her own on many rides so am used to such 'compliments.'  Anyway, we decided to ride through the Itasca State Park, just lovely and serene, quiet even though there were many visitors on the bike path (mtn bikers), hikers, and boaters.  The rainclouds moved in quickly and we got caught in a nice steady shower, cooled off pretty well, but could feel the humidity as well.  There were other riders who weren't wearing any jackets or helmets, can make for a lousy ride, bummer!!  We always wear a jacket and helmet so it wasn't too bad; I have ridden in worst weather.  We made it back home where we saw that it had a pretty good downpour from all the puddles.  I was invigorated so I changed into my running gear, and hit the trail, mostly damp, and I was by myself.  Ran 6.2, 1:12, a tempo run (in minutes rather than distance) with slow jog of 2 minutes in between, sprinkled of rain now and then but it stayed cool and clammy.  NICE! Does this count as a duathlon?!? LOL!!

Sunday, we stayed home and relaxed most of the morning.  It definitely was much cooler, temps in the 60s!!  One of those days that any runner wishes for .... Ideal running day.....at least for the midwest!!  Got to the trail and I'm the only one in the parking lot.  Finished my first 'loop' (about 2 miles), and I ran back to the truck to hydrate and couldn't believe the number of vehicles in the parking lot.  On my second loop (the other way), met up with hikers, mtn bikers who were raving about the pleasant change in temps and low humidity, thus less mosquitoes!!  It was great!!  Finished 8.1 miles, 1:35, taking 1 minute break walks after each loop, yay!!  Got hungry, and went home to a delicious and wonderful aroma of bean soup with ham that DH made, perfect ending to the day!!

Rest day today ..........or a recovery run .......will see!

Ray:  I love camping but DH is the 'hotel type" ........ but your trip/hike sounds absolutely awesome!!  Total of 12 MILES, wow!!  All that running really did come in handy!!  Yes, I can imagine the elevation gain can leave one breathless.  I worked with the Forestry in southern CO during my college summers, working on trails at very high elevations. We use to live in Denver and on many weekends, we just go for a drive, or I would run, or we go snowboarding at one of the resorts.  Beautiful, and obviously I miss it.  Lately, we have been talking about 'when we move back to the West, we should consider Denver.'  I'm getting homesick again so I better stop rambling.  haha!!  Looking forward to your race report!

Smile me again!  Just before lunch, I decided to go for another ride, this time on my mtn bike!! Feeling a little stiff in the legs since waking up this morning.  DH out mowing the vast lawn AGAIN ..........he just loves living here!! But he worries about me being 'alone' on the trails although I keep my cellphone on me ........don't care to but I do 'just in case.'  Just a gorgeous day, not as cool as yesterday; blue bird sky; rode around the neighborhood first to adjust to riding the mtn bike again (it's been awhile), then took off on the dirt road to Alice Lake, very sandy in places, some muddy areas but it was nice and shady and so quiet.  I run on this dirt road now and then, a total of a little more than 4 miles from our front door.  Took my GoPro and stopped now and then to take photos and video.  Stayed awhile appreciating the view from the lake, return home after about an hour, 6.5 miles (took my garmin).  Gosh, that's all, it's about the same distance/time as my run!!! Confused Big grin  But legs feeling so much better, and DH had lunch waiting, just love this guy!!   Wink

WDWRich

Hello Friends.  Just getting caught up here as we just returned home from Anaheim and the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend.  There's much to tell, but I'll try to be somewhat brief.

I'll start with the weather.  SoCal is known for it's moderate temps and dry conditions, and to be honest, the entire summer has been just that way.  Now comes Friday 8/30 and wham- hot and humid weather moves in for the weekend.  I'm taking Florida-like folks.  Temps in the mid and upper 90s and high humidity.  Just great for the races. Not!

We arrived in Anaheim Friday morning and DW and I spent a couple of hours in Disneyland before heading over to the Disneyland Hotel for packet pickup and the Expo.  Holy Crap! Just prior to opening at 10am there were literally thousands of people lined up waiting to get in.  Most stood in poorly organized queues out in the hot sun. I kind of felt sorry for the Disney cast members trying to manage the lines- they were overwhelmed by the number of people trying to get in. Things didn't get any better as the day wore on.  After waiting about an hour in line, we finally got into the lower level and picked up our bibs.  Then we waited in another line to go upstairs to the main Expo to get our shirts and bags, then to do a bit of shopping.  Lines were everywhere.  The official Disney race merchandise area was a complete zoo.  DD and her husband muscled their way into that area to get a few items, then waited over an hour and a half to get to the cashiers!  Good thing DW and I where there to take the grandkids to lunch.  Disney is known for handling big crowds well, but they dropped the ball on this one. They should have been better prepared, especially knowing that the races (5k, 10k, and HM) all sold out within a few short hours of open registration.  Just so you all know, this was not our first experience with RunDisney races, and none of the previous Expos were anything like this.  The second day, Saturday, crowd levels were a bit lower, but pretty much all the official mechandise was gone the first day.   Come on Disney!  If you're going to register over 27,000 people for a race, you should be much better prepared to handle the crowds.

Okay enough on the soap box. On to the races.  DW, DD and Son-in-law ran the 10k on Saturday morning.  Even at 6:30am when the race started, the weather was miserable.  They all finished though, taking it a bit easier than normal since DD and husband were running the HM with me the next day.  I stayed back at the hotel with our two grandkids.

Sunday, DD DSIL and yours truly were up at 4am to dress and get over to our corral for the 5:30 start of the HM.  Weather was slightly better, but nowhere near ideal for a HM.  Most of you know that I have been hobbled with Achilles tendonitis for the last 6 weeks, but I decided to give it a go and expected to do a lot of walking this time out.  Due to my previous race times, I was assigned to corral "C" out of the possible "A" thru "G".  This would give me a good jump to stay ahead of the pace sweepers who enforce the 16 minute-per-mile minimum pace once the last racer crosses the starting line.  I supported my injury with KT tape for this race, and I believe it helped a bit.  I started off with and alternate walk/jog interval of 2 minutes each.  Felt fine for several miles, no cardio strain at all given that I have been training on stairs, elliptical and bike.  Unfortunately, by mile 8 I felt the unwelcome sensation of a blister on the bottom of my healthy foot.  I was using a shorter stride than normal due to my right Achilles issue, and this must have caused an un-natural foot strike on the left.  I abandoned the jog/walk intervals in favor of walking only, and stopped at an aid station for a healthy dose of vaseline on the affected area.  It didn't really help too much, but I was determined to finish the race even though it meant walking the rest of the way.  I crossed the finish line at something over 3 hours (didn't really care too much about time at this point), collected my medal and met up with the rest of the family in the reunion area.  I'll be hobbled now with a silver-dollar size blister on the ball of my left foot, so I'm taking a week or two off from running and stair training.  Oh, the good thing is is that my Achilles tendonotis doesn't seem to be any worse from having done the 13.1 miles.  I will count that as a blessing, and wrap up this way-too-long race report right here.

BTW- I didn't see Marie even though see told us what she was going to wear for the HM (Evil Queen), but given the sheer number of folks at the race, I guess that's isn't surprising.

Marie - I hope you had a good race!

Cheers to all.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Great weather for LSD today!  low 60's and overcast.  I did 13.5 miles at the local state park, mostly shaded.  But the route I picked had lots of hills, so it wasn't as 'easy' as LSD is supposed to be.  But I made it through an don't feel too bad this evening.  3 weeks to HM!  DS & DIL were here part of the weekend.  He and I are signed up for the HM and I'd hoped to run it together, but his training is minimal, so... we'll see what youth can contribute!

AZ- You had a VERY full Labor day weekend.  What great fun!  Riding, running and bicycling.  There is your triathlon.  Smile

Rich- Wow, that would have been tough waiting in all those lines.  Good job on getting to the finish despite those obstacles. Heal quickly!

Ray- sounds like you had a fun time with the family.  So good to get that time together.

Have a good week all.

Dan

Congrats on the finish Rich, to you and the family!!  I can relate to the blisters which I tend to deal with each time I run a HM or longer.  The one I felt about 15 miles on my last marathon was a doozy; DH took photos of it when I took shoes off, ouch!!  It must have been such a drag out fight mentality of when to walk and when to run/jog so you stay ahead of the sweepers.  It sounds like you really pushed it and that says alot about your determination despite the lingering achilles tendonitis, however it sounds like it turned out that foot blisters were the real problems.  So strange how a slight change in foot strike/landing can make a huge difference in the outcome.  I agree with you that it's a good (smart) decision to get some time off and recover fully.  Again, WAY TO GO on finishing the race!!

Dan:  impressive on the 13+ miles training run ....YAY!!!  As long as you are not RACING the training miles, running hills should only benefit you when the event comes around!!  I haven't run more than 11 miles yet, and there's a HM I might run in on Sept. 21 (day before your HM/birthday).  You are so ahead of me in preparing for the HM in 3 weeks, YIKES!!!  I hope to run at least 10 miles today but will try to go for 12 ...........The temps have really cooled off here, such a welcome change this week.  I hope to run as much as possible before another predicted (but short) 'hot spell' comes around on the weekend.  It won't be too long before I start complaining of how 'cold' it is, LOL!!

Marie:  looking forward to reading your race report ..........with photos!!  Smile))

Deb:  hope you had a great holiday weekend!!!

Art:  any slight cooler temps in the valley?

WDWRich

AZ - Yes, it was quite the mental struggle for those last few miles, but like everyone else here in this forum, we've all had to fight similar battles at some point.  The first few miles of the HM were fun as the route took us through both Disney parks while the dawn broke.  Later out on the streets of Anaheim, the heat and humidity started to build.  It can get boring running through the bland commercial areas, but there were several groups out there cheering us on: high school bands and cheerleaders, mariachi bands and dancers, boy scouts, and several classic/muscle car clubs had their vehicles parked along the route on display.  There were over 200 cars out there!  The route also took us past the Honda Center (Mighty Ducks hockey) and through the Angels baseball stadium and onto the field where you could see yourself up on the Jumbotron (sp?).  But I'll have to admit, despite all the support that finish line was a very welcome sight!

Marie - Still looking forward to your race report!

Dan - Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Art in AZ

Rich - Nice job on the Disney HM. The weather there sounds like what we have here. You can run in it, but it's not very comfortable. Too bad the organization was lacking this year.

Dan - Nice training run for your half. Should be a good time.

Ray - A hike of 12 miles is no small feat. But stretched over the day makes it easier to do.

AZ - Sounds like you had a full weekend. I enjoy the break from running by riding the bike. Go farther and see more depending on the route.

And no the weather hasn't got any better. Depending on who you listen to, the temps today could be from 107 - 111. Come on! they should be going down, not back up. I keep telling myself soon but it won't be soon enough.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art:  yeah, been getting messages from friends/family about the PHX weather, still brutal .....stay cool!

Tuesday:  pretty warm around 80 degrees, humidity about the same, pretty sunny most of the day.  Was ready to run after lunch but last minute conference calls, and got to the trail late afternoon.  After completing three loops (over 6 miles), a dad and two young sons on mtn bikes ready to go, plus 2 burly guys in their 20s with no shirts stretching to go for a run.  Them:  "that's a tough run on the bike trail, lady, way to go!"  Me:  "hey there, yeah, but humidity is getting worse it seems."  Them:  "how far have you gone?"  Me: "about 6 miles (checking my garmin)."  Them:  "probably easier and faster if you run on the X-country ski trail.  That's where we run.  We are too slow though and just hoping to make it a mile."  Me: "yeah, probably, but mosquitoes are getting worse. I gotta hydrate."  Them:  "They aren't too bad today."  Me:  "have a good run."

I went to my truck and hydrated.  They stretched some more and took off the trail before I took off on the bike trail.  Them:  Dude, she's older than we are and she already ran 6 miles on the bike trail, she'd kick our butt.  How wimpy are we?!?  I grinning from ear to ear as I took off, re-energized!!  Met up with the dad and kids on the bike trail, waiting for the younger one (about 8 yrs old) who is peeing in the bushes, haha!!  "Excuse us" says the dad.  I smiled, "When you gotta go, you gotta go!"  About 9.5 miles, felt lightheaded all of a sudden, hungry, so slowed down pace; it was tough but made it to 10.2 miles, 1:55. Stretched and ate banana on way home.

Rested yesterday but rode mtn bike close to home, on frontage road and dirt road, about 4 miles, with dog on leash, that's hard to do!!

Today:  Much cooler this morning but had to work.  Got to the trail around 1 pm, about 70 degrees, 60+ humidity, slight breeze, overcast.  One other mtn biker at the trailhead.  The run today was much better.  Finished 10.1 miles, 1:48.  Didn't wear my ankle support which really helped I think.  I find that it tends to get pretty tight the longer I run in them, just too uncomfortable.

Rest day tomorrow.  We might travel to ND to visit FIL.  Another run planned on Saturday.

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Hi Rich and all my other mighty master friends!  We had a grand time at Disneyland,! As Rich said, it was hot, humid and crowded, but still it was a happy place. Much different in feel than DW, but still magical. We arrived on Friday afternoon and had no trouble picking up our race packets. DD had been assigned a G corral and I was in C so we took POT to get her in C w/ me. When we went to runner relations, they said w/ your proof of times, you can both be in B....so what the heck!  It gave us plenty of opportunity for character photos during the 10K. Obviously that slowed our time, but we were there to have a "good time" not a good time. Using mostly a 30 sec/30 sec run walk interval, we both felt pretty good through the run. We had not slept much the night before and then spent all day at Calif adventure after the 10k! Then I couldn't sleep that night either. I think I was just under a lot of stress given that my Dad had just come home from the hospital and both he and Mom moved in with my hubby and me. BTW, DH is officially nominated for Hubby of the year as he kept my parents and DD's 2 dogs (plus our own) while we were in Disney!.  We had hoped to go back to the Expo to try to find a Coast to Coast shirt, but decided there likely wasn't anything left, given the horendous crowd from the day before.

The HM dawned bright and early! We started off again w/ 30/30 and stopped for a few photo opps, but most had been covered the day before. I really enjoyed the courses as there was so much park time. Also the stadium was a big thrill. I'm not a baseball fan, but the crowd there was fantastic. Also loved the car show. It was much better than the one at WDW.

Finishing times were 1:46 fir 10K ( remember lots of photos) and 2:46 for the HM with several photos. Our costumes were a big hit and I loved running in them. We plan a halowween half marathon so we can wear them again. This pic is DD as Snow White and I'm the Evil Queen in the HM. Photo: Crossing over to the dark side? Nah, the force was with us!

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Rich, I agree with the surprise and frustration of Disney's lack of organization. I saw it at the expo, the packet pickup, and the race. We had failed to get our arm band after completing the 10k and then had to jump through hoops to get the Dumbo Double Dare medal at the completion of the half. We had expected it to be like Goofy....you had the bib on....you got the medal. Nope, you had to go and have your time verified, then they verified you were you, before they gave you the medal. I understand that a lot of people were swept and some felt they were ahead of the cut off time. That would be very irritating to not be able to finish especially since those races are so expensive.

I was also disappointed with the official disney merchandise. I wanted a Coast to Coast shirt, but all that I saw were white ladies, and gray men/unisex.....neither a very desirable choice. I wouldn't/couldn't wait in the long line for either.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

rmcj001

Rich & Marie - loved the reports.  Sorry to hear about the problems, but Congrats on completing your races!

Art - Yes, wouldn't be too much if we had all day.  Wife and I started around 3PM and it was dark by 8PM.  Not too bad.

Az - Nice job on getting your runs in.  Gotta love those youngins, easily impressed Wink

Dan - Sounds like you're ready for you HM!

Monday was a weird day, overcast and 72F at race time.  Not the normal high fog, but threatening rain.  We arrived at the park just in time to do late registration, put things back in car and warmup a tad before they walked us to the starting line.  I scooted closer to the front since I knew this was only tagged at finish line.  Crowd was smaller then last year and there was a slight course change, starting line was moved off  the main path make us do almost a U turn right at the start.  Left shin has been acting up lately, so first couple miles were spent trying to keep pace up and trying to get the left leg loose.  The course is an out and back and first part is a net downhill.  Tried to use that knowledge to keep me going quickly, but not to fast.  Got passed by a few people, most look like HM'ers, but did notice a couple of High Schoolers and figured they'd be doing the 5M.  Hit the turn around just behind the HS'ers.  Saw wife coming on my way back and she said I was 22nd person.  Was trying to maintain my pace and working on catching up to the HS'ers, when I got passed by young woman and couple of guys. Just tried to stay in contact, tho did seem to be making up some ground on 1 of the HS'ers.  As the 2 guys moved off I caught the HS'er and stopped losing ground to the woman.  At mile 4 the woman stopped?!  I said "Don't stop now!", she smiled nicely and said I was doing a good job.  About 1/2 mile from finish she caught up and I asked if she was doing the half and she said no, she had an ankle injury and then slowly started pulling away again.  The finish for the race is a left turn that goes uphill for 3/4 of the last 100 yards or so.  We hit the hill and I picked up ground on her and a guy passes me and her just killing the hill.  Didn't catch her, but did my best to finish strong.  Time was 36:31, good enough for 8th overall and 1st in age group.  Grabbed a cold water and some goldfish and then walked down the hill to cheer wife on.  Not long after she went by it started to rain a bit, just enough to wet the ground.  Tried to encourage the other runners until wife finished up.  She also got 1st in her age group.  We grabbed our medals and headed home.

Ray

justrundan

Marie-love the pic of you and DD.

Ray-major congrats to you and DW!!  Super time

Slow 9 mIles today, 5 yesterday @ slightly faster pace. With the holiday I got in 2 long runs this week. Probably 5-6 tomorrow then rest on Sunday. This will be highest milage week ever I think, so I'm gonna be cautious. Don't want an injury this close to the race.

have a great weekend friends.

Dan