50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

Marie - Nice picture from the run. I think I remember that story, Snow White and the 7 Stromtroopers.

Ray - nice job by you and your wife.

Dan - You look to be well prepared for your half in a couple of weeks.

Had a good 10 mile run this morning. Felt good running and got into a groove. Weather was overcast with drizzle on and off.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Cool

Planned run didn't happen, DH and I had an 'all day date' ....just enjoying the lazy day, shopping for some plants (for DH's lawn), lunch which included a "who wants to run after this malbec glass of wine." I do feel kinda pretty stiff in the groin/quads from my two 10+ milers this week so I think I will be okay to take a rest day.  Went for a ride on my mtn bike to get mail and around the neighborhood.  Will see how tomorrow turns out.  It's really humid and temps got into the 80s so it probably is better (safer) to just rest anyway.  Not much going on in northern MN other than people anticipating fall and winter, can you believe that?!?  I'm anticipating my AZ trip in October.  Still not sure if I will be on a business trip this month but if not, I hope to run the 'trail' race, HM on Sept. 21st about 45 miles from here.  No shade, pretty open area, the HM begins around 9 AM!!  Treating it as a 'training run' ........... So thought you might enjoy the bike trail that I run on here in MN and the ones in AZ, and one of my harley rides to 'the peaks' in northern AZ on one of my H-D bikes .......at about 10,000 ft!! There is also a bike trip I took with my brother and a friend to southern CO, usually an annual bike ride I take, solo or with others.  Awesome switchback road and gorgeous views!!  My brother and I are the only ones in my family (of 9, YES, 9!) who know how to ride.  I love spending time with my brother and we can't get enough bike trips!!  I miss him.

Art:  NICE miles!! WHAT TIME was your run?  Tough running that distance in that heat!! You gotta make a trip to Flag, if any, just to take in the changing of the colors of the trees!!

Marie:  LOVE the photos!! And GOOD JOB on the event!!

photo GOPR0242_zps006670ef.jpg            photo GOPR0029_zps1cd59fb7.jpg    MN 'Movel Maze' bike trail      

photo GOPR1201_zpsa0f8bdce.jpg            photo GOPR0431_zps9dcf5560.jpg   Northern AZ running trail

photo GOPR1080_zps54973c89.jpg   Northern AZ trail run, about 7,500 ft.

photo DSCN6060_zpse2e1fb89.jpg   "Million Dollar Highway" in CO, between Durango and Ouray, CO. Riding with a friend and brother.

photo DSCN1053_zpsfb509e34.jpg    Enjoying the view from my H-D V-Rod, San Francisco Peaks in background, northern AZ.

justrundan

7 very slow (low heart rate) miles today @ HS track.  The 2+ hr of core workout (using my Stihl weed cutter with steel blade, cutting tall weeks and small sumac bushes on a steep slope, rotating my trunk back and forth in a 140 degree arc, again and again.  Went through 3 tanks of gas in that thing.  When I ran out the third time I drug myself up the slope to the driveway, drove the lawn tractor back to the garage and collapsed into a chair.  Exhausted!  I'll feel it Monday.  Dead)  Tomorrow is definitely a rest day!

AZ, nice pic of the bike.  I'll try to get a pic of my R1200 uploaded to Photobucket so I can get it on here.

Rest and run well friends

Dan

7 very slow (low heart rate) miles today @ HS track.  The 2+ hr of core workout (using my Stihl weed cutter with steel blade, cutting tall weeks and small sumac bushes on a steep slope, rotating my trunk back and forth in a 140 degree arc, again and again.  Went through 3 tanks of gas in that thing.  When I ran out the third time I drug myself up the slope to the driveway, drove the lawn tractor back to the garage and collapsed into a chair.  Exhausted!  I'll feel it Monday.  Dead)  Tomorrow is definitely a rest day!

AZ, nice pic of the bike.  I'll try to get a pic of my R1200 uploaded to Photobucket so I can get it on here.

Rest and run well friends

Dan:  'maturity' doesn't give in to a weedcutter', no sirree!!  haha!!  Friend that went on ride with my brother to CO rode his beamer that is just like yours if I remember correctly.  FAST sucker!!  It was first time for friend and brother to ride the million dollar highway.  My brother rides often with me on group rides when he visits.  But friend didn't 'understand' the rules of group riding and on that highway (twisty areas especially) and that weekend, there were MANY other group riders (mostly HOGs) who didn't appreciate his riding in and out of 'their' groups.  Told friend at lunch stop that he needs to stay with us or he's gonna get his butt kicked and we would just watch.  LOL!!

Smile Turned out to be a good day today.  Cloudy all day, rained some, humidity skyrocketed, mosquitoes galore, so waited till evening to run when it cooled off, slight breeze.  Glad DH decided to go for a walk with dog around the neighborhood, it made me feel guilty Wink so I decided to "just go for an hour run around the neighborhood" which is half paved/half dirt road.  Finished 6.3 miles, 58 minutes with 45 seconds walk break after each 'loop' of 1.55 mile. NICE!!

WDWRich

Marie - Great photo, and excellent costumes!  I hope that if RunDisney is going to register 25,000+ folks for a HM, that they get things together and better organize the Expo and order enough merchandise.  Of course, even with all the issues, I'm sure I'll be back at next year's event (will be our 3rd DL event).

Ray - Thanks for the race report and congrats on your finish!

Art - Hang in there.  The weather has to get better one of these days.

Dan - Sounds like you're ready for the HM on your 60th b-day.  I'll be joining you at 60 come November.

The Achilles tendonitis finally seems to be easing up.  I hope to get back to running in a week or so.  For now, I stick to the elliptical, bike and stairs.  There's a 10k combination trail/street race on Thanksgiving that I ran last year.  Perhaps that might be a good event for my first one back.  We'll see...

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

Rich~Congratulations on the Disneyland HM!  Happy to read you are on the mend, and I'm sure there will be more Disney races in your future.

Marie~LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the costumes! Bravo to you and DD on accomplishing another Disney multi race.  You are the most lovely evil queen I've ever seen!

AZ~Love the MN/AZ trail photos.  Your training has been absolutely stellar ... you are on fire, girl!  I don't know how you bear the humidity in MN! see below

Art~Ahhh ... sounds like a great run. Weather in the upper mid-west has been a roller coaster lately.  High of 65 two days ago, 98 degrees predicted today!

Ray~You have been a racing machine!  Another excellent race, and congrats to you and DW on the AG wins!

Dan~You are going the SMASH your DCHM PR at the Fox Cities on your 60th birthday my friend!  Your training in going so well. Waved "Hi!" as we passed by Baraboo over the weekend.

Mary Kay~How are you doing???

ALL OF YOU ARE AMAZING!  Although I've been off the forums of late, I do try to keep up with your posts. This has been the busiest summer in recent memory.  Having a son in high school again is hard work!  His schedule is demanding, and since he isn't driving yet, his schedule becomes my schedule!  It is all fun and his HS cross country team is having an awesome start to their season.

I don't have a race on the schedule until the 50 mile relay in October.  Training has been spotty at best.  In Minneapolis last weekend for nephew's wedding.  Heat(90's) and humidity(horrid) everyday was unbelievable!  Where does all the moisture come from????  The 10,000 lakes!  Used the hotel's treadmill a couple times, but the AC is only good for so long and humidity was everywhere!  The pain at the back of my right knee continues to be an annoyance.  No pain while I'm running, but a definite lack of flexibility.  Called the Runner's Clinic today for an evaluation, can't get in until next week.

I've been in a running funk. Sad Fighting(with The Voice) to get my miles in with the crazy schedule. Many days wanting to listen to The Voice when it suggests to put my feet up and have another glass of wine!  THANK YOU to all of you for inspiring me to get out there, I never regret I did! Big grin

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

Well the rain finally showed up here after being all around us this summer. A steady rain Sunday until mid-afternoon kept me in the garage enjoying the cooler temps while it rained. The humidity was still here also. Monday brought more cooler temps and steady rain , though a little heavier than Sunday. Caused flash floods and flooding all through the area. So I didn't run for two days. Got this this morning and the weather was cooler but the humidity was still high. Finished a 5 mile run and was just as soaked as before. But it was cooler out. Suppose to be back to normal temps and drier starting Wednesday.

Everybody is getting in miles and preparation for events later. Good running to all.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art:  those 'cooler' temps brought out by the rain is such a relief for many but despite some very much needed moisture overall for the state for the last two days, it's definitely crappy for others in flashflood areas.  Rest days aren't too bad!  Glad you got in some miles.

Deb:  wow, you were only about 5 hrs away!!!  yeah, you were in the metro area where the temps/humidity were just miserable!!!  I can't believe I live here either, haha!!!  I'm still trying to 'embrace' it.  Darn that 'Voice' .......it gets louder on my planned LSD days, haha!!  But we overcome them, and yes, so glad I did.  When and where is your 50 miler relay?!?  Who is on your team?

Although the temps are 'cooler,' the mugginess is still lingering.  Overcast most of the day, light breeze, but around 90% humidity.  I found a different trail around the lake that a runner I met at the bike trail told me about ........but it is paved bike trail!!!!  A "trail" is not the same as a "TRAIL" apparently, UGH!!  So I changed into my road shoes and took off, didn't matter which way i thought as there was no 'trail map' at this trail head.  Many cyclists and a couple of walkers but no runners.  After just over 2 miles, finally a 'map.'  And to my surprise, the paved portion ends and an 'unpaved' portion begins in about another 1/2 mile.  Curiosity and glee takes hold so off I go.  YAY!!!  Big grin IT'S A DIRT TRAIL, mostly FLAT with some rocky areas, BUT IT'S DIRT, yippeeeee!!!  Big grin  Ran about another 3.5 miles, met no one and could have gone farther but running out of water, darn it!!!  Turned around, glad I had one hammer gel on me.  Finished 12.52 miles, 2:10.  I wanted to stay between a 9:30 - 10:00/min pace.  Took 1 minute walk breaks after each mile.  Ran mostly in the shade of the trees as the sun was more in the west, just completely soaked from the humidity but totally stoked!!

Roll eyes Got to trail later than planned.  Decided to run the X-country ski trails instead of the bike trail this time, partly sunny so the shade of the trees offered relief, love it!! Cool  Met a couple of runners.  Short run of 6.5 miles, 1:10, love those hills!  Yeah, right .........

I didn't know how it would feel today but RE: on my yesterday's run, when almost done, I kinda tweaked my right ankle on FLAT terrain, WTH!!  Shocked  I had planned on 8-10 miles but obviously had to cut is short.  R-I-C-E all evening and finally gave in to some ibuprofen around 2 am, feeling better, can walk on it, this is gonna be a 'day by day' basis on running, Angry  just bummed about it but it could have been worse, I guess.

justrundan

44 degrees when I stepped out in pre-dawn darkness this morning.  The stars were SO incredibly bright. One of my favorite parts of living out in the country.

4.4 slow miles yesterday, 5 faster miles this morning.  Hoping for 9 tomorrow and take it easy next week before the Fox Cities HM.

The race is more complicated now; a favorite uncle passed away this past week and we'll be driving to suburb just east of St Louis Friday back Saturday and getting to race city sometime that night.  Assuming all that goes according to plan, DS and I will take off on the HM route about 0700 Sunday.

Debra- you've got plenty of time to get ready for the relay; slow and steady.  Sent PM your way also.

AZ- glad your finding more trails to run.  Wouldn't you know it would be the FLAT terrain that bites you!  Like me tripping over the smallest rise in the sidewalk!  LOL!

run/race strong friends.

Dan

Dan:  I know!!!!!!!!!!  that really BITES!!!!!!!!!!! DH is adamant that I rest my ankle for the wknd if not for next week ............... he may be right if I want to do any runs/races in the SW next month when I go 'home' in a couple of weeks ......... have to sacrifice the upcoming trail HM event on the 21st for when I go home ........ makes sense and I can save $$ .... right?!? I am sooooooooo bummed about it!!!!!!!  just pi$$$es me off !!!!!!!!!!  Breathe, Breathe, glass of malbec and I'm okay ......... not worth the stress, and DH is right about it if I want to race in Oct in the SW.  DH called and we met at a local bar/grill to talk about the day: his surgeries he had to do all day, my schedule for business trips, blah, blah, blah ............all good but I am sooooooooo anticipating my trip 'home' ........ brother is in Reno on a business trip right now too and he is looking forward to me coming 'home.'  I can't wait to see family, parents especially.  I miss home.

justrundan

Ran 9 miles today, first 5 @ HM+60 or so, then last 4 tried to keep about 10 m/mi pace, not completely successfully.  1:38:12; less than 5 minutes after I finished DS texted me that he'd done 8.5 in 1:39:53, and talked with his friend most of the way!  This is the guy who hasn't trained at all.  Frustrates me that I can't get more separation with all the miles I've put in!  Angry  Youth is so wasted on the young!  Wink  I'm hoping part of it is not having rested legs??  I'd like to beat 2:15, which would be taking about 3:40 off the spring HM.  We will see.

Run/race strong friends.

Dan

WDWRich

Dan - Don't be disappointed.  Your training run was fine. You'll do well in the HM next weekend.  Just think about the previous generation (our parents).  They wouldn't even dream about running at our age, much less competing in HMs.  Looking forward to hearing about the Fox Cities event.

AZ - Hang in there.  Sometimes, we need to take a step back and let things heal.  After two months, I finally got out for a run today due to my injury.  You'll heal much faster that that, I'm sure.

After two months of dealing with the Achilles tendonitis, I was finally able to get out for a training run this morning.  Just did three miles, but no pain or discomfort at all.  What a wonderful feeling after being relegated to the bike, stairs, and elliptical machine for all those weeks.  I plan to ramp up the distance slowly so as not to risk another injury.  Thinking of running a 10k on Thanksgiving...  Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Art in AZ

Dan - I'm with Rich. Your training runs are fine. I have no doubt you'll beat the 2:15 time.

AZ - Discretion is the better part of valor. Better to pass than take a chance causing more damage. Positive thoughts, saving the money for a later event, taking care of your body, being better prepared. There's always another race to do.

Rich - Good news on a pain free run.

Put in an 11 mile run this morning. Hope to get to the magic 13 end of the month.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ