50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

Art~Nice job not letting the weather stop you from getting in the miles while in Florida!

AZ~Sorry you didn't get to visit with FIL or run the HM, but sounds like you and DH enjoyed a lovely mid-western autumn day.

Rich~No Achilles pain - awesome!  You have a wise plan for moving forward to the Thanksgiving race.

Ran 4 miles on the dirt bike path today. Weather was fabulous at 63 degrees, sunny and gentle breeze -- LOVE IT!  These are the days to remember because it is what makes living in the Great Lakes region so great. Big grin

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Fog way to thick this morning. Maybe tomorrow. Wink

Debra- that HM winner's time was incredible!  You are right, we need to remember these days that come between January & July!

Dan

Big grin CONGRATS Dan!!!  WoW!! Such a memorable finish you and DS will always cherish!! On your BIRTHDAY!!!  Big grin All the training made it worth it!!  Not getting there early must have got your adrenaline going but you kept it in check and didn't start too fast, very very smart!!  You kept a pretty consistent pace for most of the race, and a very impressive strong, strong finish the last 3 miles really. It's good to go 'powerful' up a hill and then let gravity take over downhill to let those muscles 'recover'.......great job!!  Awesome you got your PR too, that is cause for elation!! Maybe those last few days of rest helped too? Body ready to go for it.  You noted the difference from your last HM compared to this, you've gotten stronger, such a confidence builder.  It always makes a huge (and motivating) difference when you have a supportive cheering squad along the course especially when it is family and friends. Kudos to them!!  I can't imagine the exhilaration of running with a family member, that is just so incredible, I love that!!  Great way to celebrate two milestones afterwards too.  Yes, that is so unbelievable on the winner's finish time, amazing!!!!  Only "in my dreams" LOL!!!  Again, WAY TO GO!!  Next race???

Boy, what a difference a few days make. Left Arizona Friday morning. Weather forecasted low 100s and still some humidity. Thursday mornings run was 8 miles in the lower 80s and humid. Returned home Monday late afternoon and the high was 92 and dry. Tuesday mornings run was 5 miles with temps in the upper 60s. Finally!

Florida trip

AZ - See your injury is better also. Sounds like a nice "bike" ride. What half were you looking at in Oct.? I was looking at the Peoria Halloween half on 10/26. Looks like it is mostly dirt along the wash. Let me know.

Art:  totally spaced out your Florida trip if you mentioned it in a post .......... yeah, those rainy days sure can mess up running days.  Glad you didn't give in though, that's persistence.  There is such a ridiculous difference in climate between AZ and FL, just like between AZ and MN.  I will be back in AZ on business.  Whenever I go back, depending on my schedule, I try to run a race.  My initial plan was to run the Durango Double (in southern CO) which has been on my 'bucket list' for awhile.  Why didn't I do that before moving to MN??? Roll eyes  I would run the 25k TRAIL (15.5miles) on Sat., then a HM ROAD on Sun (next day).  I've run a 25k trail before so I know I could do that but the challenge would be the HM the next day, just curious to see how I would do.  But was not sure if I would be there, and the longer I waited, the more the fee, and I don't think I want to pay $200+ for it now.  Yeah, 200 freaking dollars!!  So I looked around, I REALLY REALLY want to run at least ONE trail race so I hope to run Oct. 19th Cave Creek Thriller trail race, the 19k (11.8 miles).  The trail is part of the Aravaipa desert trail running series.  Since my initial plan was to run consecutive days, there is the Y Race Phoenix HM ROAD race on Oct. 20th at South Mt, the next day. ........these two races seem more 'do-able.'  Have you run either of these?  The Peoria HM isn't too far from S. MT so maybe you could run that if you haven't.  I ran a 10 miler race in Peoria during Thanksgiving a couple yrs ago and most of it was road through a park but about 2 miles along a wash.  One of my best 10 milers.  Even if, for some reason, I don't run the Y race, I will still be in PHX.  I'm pretty set on running the Cave Creek trail race.  Closer to where you live, if I remember correctly.

Deb:  glad you are getting some miles in.  Work got more busy the last few days as it typically does prior to my business trips.  Haven't run since Sunday's 3 miler, but ankle needs the rest (I tell myself that) .......it's fine really.  Been pretty windy lately and it sure affects my throat that oftentimes, I end up with a sore throat (same with A/C and ceiling fan), isn't that odd?  Plan to run about 6 today.  Breezy, cooler temps but very SUNNY!!  NICE!

justrundan

AZ-  No races planned for now; planning on an extended (3+ months) of low heart rate training to try to improve my aerobic capacity if possible.  I've never had a very good aerobic engine, and the last 30 years of little exercise have put me in the hole, I think.  So I'll be doing slow and easy runs 4-6 days/week, trying to get a long run in once in a while also.  The TM in winter will be good for that.  There are a couple of races I would normally have run and I'm thinking about volunteering in at least one of those.    GOOD LUCK on your Arizona races.  (I'm still keeping my eye on the Run Away to the Bay relay to see when registration starts.  That might be one to get some of the groups from RA together)

Dan

WDWRich

Dan - Way to go!  Enjoyed the race report, and even happier for your result.  It's wonderful that you ran it with your DS.

Art - We've been to Florida in the summer too, and trying to run in the humidity/rain just plain sucks.  Glad the weather at home is better.

Everyone - Enjoy the autumn weather.  It was a nice 64 degrees and breezy here in San Diego this morning.

Running 4-mile hops this week.  Achilles still feels fine other than a bit of tightness every once in a while.  Really looking forward to some longer distances, but I'm keeping to the plan of adding one mile per week.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Smile Around 3 pm, I finally got to the paved bike trail which turns into a dirt trail.  Ideal day:  about 70 degrees, 70% humidity, partly cloudy sky, nice day despite  the wind gusts around 15-20mph, headwind on the way back!! whew!! Finished 10 miles, felt great the entire distance, took 1 minute walk break after each mile.  Took my GoPro so walk breaks were more like photo ops with all the brilliance of the changing colors of the leaves, beautiful!!

Dan:  yes, keep me in the loop about the relay,  you did mention it last year.  I don't see you slowing down too much so that's smart on keeping a base mileage, slow and easy.

Rich:  good to know your achilles is healing and being patience with adding miles to your training runs.  I really would like to visit my sister in San Diego but not sure about my schedule ..........there's a HM TRAIL race, the Raptor Ridge, on Oct. 13th .........

Hi Deb!!

Hope all is well, Ray!

rmcj001

Az -I have been quiet, sorry.  Glad to see you're running well and enjoying it!  It's good to know.

Dan - Wow!  Great race!  Loved the race report, especially the finish.

WDWRich - good to hear the achilles is getting better and sounds like you've got a solid plan for training.  Nice medal!

Deb - Nice to hear you're running again!

Art -  Must be nice to be back in Arizona.

Been quiet 'cuz barely been running lately.  While on the hike in Colorado stubbed big toe on left foot, nothing major, but strained a tendon. Unfortunately that tendon has gotten worse.  The initial pain caused me to change my gait enough that my whole leg got sore over time.  The interesting thing about tendons is that they will loosen up after you've run a bit, so after a mile or two things would feel okay for awhile.  An hour or two later and I would barely be able to walk.  So, I reduced my mileage hoping things would get better (not really).  I have to do one race every year (Palo Alto Moonlight Run), well, because wife and I have done every one.  My concession was stepping down from the 10k to the 5k this year.  Still, my goal time was near 22 minutes.  The 10K started at 8:15 pm and the 5k at 8:45 pm.  Son and I watched and cheered wife at the start of the 10K and then walked back to the 5K starting area to warm up.  The 5K goes in the opposite direction of the 10K an the start goes from a parking lot into a very narrow bike path on top of a levy.  I tried to get fairly close to the start line hoping to beat most of the crowd to the levy.  Got separated from DS before the start and was sitting behind a crowd of high school runners.  Race started and went out fast to get to the levy and tried to maintain a quick pace.  After 3/4 of mile the asphalt path turns into dirt and rocks, just past the mile point you make a right turn off the levy and run parallel to the airport runway.  One of the things I used to enjoy about this race is running by the light of the moon.  So, many people had headlamps that my eyes never adjusted to the dark, which made running the dirt part a bit precarious.  I'd like to say that was the only reason I slowed down, but truth is I've already lost a bunch of my conditioning.  So at mile 2, as we transitioned back to road and I ignored the water, I was trying to rally a bit and pick up the pace or, not slow down too much.  We soon hit the 10K turn around point and I started concentrating on catching the 10K runners.  An older gentleman caught me at 2.5 mile mark and I concentrated on staying with him.  As we turned the corner for the last 200 meters he pulled away and I tried to stay with him.  Hit the finish line at about 23:18 in between to young ladies and about 8 seconds behind the older genlteman.  When I came out of the chute son and wife were getting water.  Chip time was 23:15, 5th in AG and 96th overall.  Son set a PR at 19:16, good for 2nd in AG and 24th overall.  Wife ran sub 53 minutes and finished 4th in AG.

The bad news is the leg is still sore after a week and no running.  I've tried KT tape, which helps, but can't wear it all the time or I get a rash.  Hoping stretching, massaging and rest will help.  Might have to get it checked again and see if there might be something else I can try to speed things up.  Anyway, I'll probably be pretty quiet while I'm not running...

Ray

WDWRich

Ray - Nice 5k race report.  That was a great time despite your injury and lack of normal training.  Try not to get too down while healing that tendon.  It took a bit over two months for my Achilles tendon to get back to where I am now able to run with a normal pace and gait.  The bottom line is- it *will* heal and you will get back to regular training.  I know from experience that it is frustrating, but give it the time it needs and you'll definitely be back.  For now, do you have access to a bike or elliptical machine?  Those two items really helped me keep up my cardio fitness (and my sanity) when I couldn't run.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Ray:  thanks for sharing the RR, great finish time by each of the family!!  You sounded disappointed but considering the injury and lack of training because of it, you still did amazing in the race!!  Have patience and you'll be speedy soon enough.  "Rest days' sometimes feels like its forced on us due to injury but you are so well-conditioned, you shouldn't lose much.  Rich's suggestion and experience is on target.  It happens to the best of us and to deal with such crappy days, we normally want to run but we forget that there are other ways to stay conditioned.  Again, congrats to you, DW, and DS; You all did great!!

It rained gently most of the day but during a break, I got in 6.1 miles, 1:00.  Ran mostly on dirt road/trail near home, towards a lake, turning around halfway after 1 minute walk break, ending with about 1.5 mile on paved road back to the house.  About 90% humidity so I was totally drenched when done, the breeze helps.  Hope to run again tomorrow before we leave for Fargo for the weekend........unless it rains.

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Catching up on all of the posts.....wow, you Mighty Masters have been busy!

I missed several days running the last 2 weeks, partly due to my ankle being sore, partly due to schedule w/ Mom & Dad living with us.  The ankle felt better on today's 5 mile run.....what a glorious day, 55 degrees w/ clear blue skies. Just being out on the road was a relief!

I've registered for a Haunted Half for October and looking forward to it.

Keep up the great work, stay healthy and enjoy the fall weather. I'll ck in when I can.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Art in AZ

Debra - Nice weather there. I'll have to remember everyone in the area for the next time I visit my Mom. She lives near McHenry.

Dan - Good luck with the training plan runs. The key is to not stop moving. Right?

Ray - Nice race report and time. Hope your injury heals fast.

AZ - I agree that some of these races prices are ridiculous. What are they thinking when they decide on the price.

I'm not familiar with either race. I kind of passed over the Y race after looking at the Peoria Halloween Half. But both races sound interesting. I had to go look for the Cave Creek Thriller 19K as it wasn't listed on GetSetAZ. From where I am in Mesa, South Mountain is a little closer that Cave Creek is. Probably 10 - 15 minutes difference. But either one is doable and I would get a good workout from either one. So let me know.

The Peoria Halloween Half is on the new River Trail (or something like that) and there are no streets, sidewalks or cars to worry about. That's why I kind of was looking at that one. That was to be an October event. Nov. is the Turkey Trot 10K. December I'm looking at the Hot Chocolate 15K. Kind of building up so to speak. Mainly looking for different events I haven't done before.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

4.5 Friday, 6.2 today.  These low heart rate runs should be good for avoid injury, if I can avoid tripping over a crack in the asphalt!  Not a lot of stress on the body.

Marie- glad you're getting some cooler weather in TN-nice!  So glad you are able to have your Mom & Dad with you- good memories for the future.  Enjoy the runs when you can get them.

Ray- great RR, and good race considering the injury.  Those times are still on the wish list for me.

Art- those races you mention look like fun.  Hope you are getting some cooler weather too!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Just trying to get my weekly mileage up conservatively and safely.  The slightest of knee pain remains, but flexibility is returning.  Volunteering at the Lakefront Marathon on Sunday morning.  After my shift duties are complete, I'll head to the end of the route to cheer on the runners.  It is always an inspirational day to watch them.

Dan~DCHM registration opens 11/1, are you thinking about running it again?  BTW-Did you use a pace group for your fantastic FCHM run?

Art~It would be great to get the MW RA folks together for a race if you have time while visiting your Mom.

Marie~Enjoy training for the Haunted HM.  What a blessing you are to your folks!

AZ~I hope the beautiful autumn runs in MN make up for not being able to run the AZ trails you love so much!

Rich~Great suggestions for getting through nursing an injury.  Swimming and biking the flat rail-trail keep me from going bonkers while healing my knee.

Ray~Running in the moonlight - you do have the most interesting races in you area!  Great RR and I echo comments about 23:18/5k being "in my dreams!!!!"  Glad you could keep the tradition running it with your family.  Take care of the tendon injury and keep us updated.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

Ran 8 easy miles in thick fog on the trail through the woods and past the quarry today.  I'm reading J.R.R. Tolkien again, and felt as if I were running through the scenes in "The Lord of the Rings"!  Very magical running through swirling mist as autumn leaves float softly down from the maples and ravens call from the rocky cliffs at the quarry.  My absolutely favorite time of the year to run!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?