50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

Debra- we WILL be in Sister Bay, not far from HWY 42; what wave is your team in, and what time do you expect to be coming through Sister Bay?  Would you like a hot chocolate or some coffee?  Smile

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Sent you a PM.  Autumn color should be glorious this weekend in the Door.

The left ankle I turned on Tuesday's easy run remains a bit tender, continue to RICE.  Spent too much time walking at DS2 cross country sectional meet yesterday, but all worth it.  The JV team came in first!  Hopefully one more day of RICE will do the trick and we won't have to change the leg assignments.  Everyone has trained for their distances and terrain, and I would feel terrible to have to switch at this point.  Well, I guess we'll know more on Saturday morning!

Run strong and safe friends!

Quo Vadis?

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Hi everyone. Sorry to be MIA as I miss reading all of your posts.  Life is still challenging in my world taking care of both parents, but I'm still running as much as possible.

DD and I ran the Haunted Half Marathon this past Saturday and had an awesome race.  2:19:37 which was a new pr for both!  Almost a 10 min improvement over my previous fastest.  We hoped to run in under 2:20 but given I hadn't ran but one 10 miler and daughter Le's longest run since Disney was only 6 miles,we didn't know!  The weather was hot, then cold, windy and stinky, with long flat and boring stretches.  Yes, I'm spoiled w/ all of the Disney entertainment, but this race had hardly anything except other racer's costumes. Joking

We did 30/30 intervals (30 seconds run/ 30 second walk) and held with 3 other pairs of runners for the first 6-7 miles.  It was obvious that a couple of those runners got aggravated at us as we would pass them on our run and they would pass us on our walks. After we passed the half way mark, we pulled ahead of all of those runners and never saw them again.  Big grin

My finishing time was only good enough for 4th place in my 60-69 age group, but we were happy.

Keep running safe my friends!!

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

justrundan

Marie- great job on the HM!  That 30/30 really works well for you.  Hang in there with the parent care!

Saw Deb gito finish her first leg of the Fall 50 relay in Door County Saturday.  DW and I were up there with friends and the relay exchange was 1/2 mile from our rental condo.  We also had friends from Baraboo doing the race, so we got to see them also.  It was a chilly day, and very windy (20-30 mph much of the day).  Deb and her team did great.

Not much from me, trying to run 4-5 times/week, slow miles, usually 4-5/d, sometimes a little more.  Have a 10K coming up a week from Saturday; that may be it until the new year for racing.

Run strong friends.

Dan

Aravaipa Running

The Cave Creek Thriller is the first race in the Desert Runner Trail Series

Trail Series = 31km, Ultra Series = 50km
            Runners and spectators are encouraged to wear costumes!

Course Summary
            All races feature the mountainous Go John & Overton trails.  19 km, 31 km and 50 km runners will also run portions of the Slate, Quartz and Flume trails. Expect hot conditions (we typically see temps into the 90’s)! Portions of the trail are steep, rocky, and entirely exposed to the sun with great views to the north.

Weather
            This is typically a hot race, with temperatures into the 90′s! Forecast for Cave Creek, AZ

Awards
            Awards to top male & female finishers at each distance. Winners of the 31 km and 50 km races will earn free entry into the DRT Series Championship in March at Mesquite Canyon. All finishers will receive a finisher award.

Courses
            The 12km race makes a loop of the hilly and challenging Go John and Overton trails with a short out and back on the Maricopa Trail down to the Gunsight Aid Station. The 19km course incorporates much of the 12km course, but also includes a trip on the Slate & Flume Trails down to the Flume Aid Station and on the way back, the Quartz Trail. The 31km course consists of two loops, the first being the 19km course and the second the 12km course. The 50km course completes two loops of the 19km course and one final loop on the 12K course.

Hi everyone! Returned to MN late Monday night, it's cold, wet, cloudy and frost-on-the-lawn mornings here. 

So I just pasted some info about my 19K trail race on Oct. 19 in AZ.  As you can see, the elevation was challenging but it was awesome!!  My brother and I drove to Phoenix where we stayed the night at a cousin's house and we got to the regional park around 7 am Saturday morning.  As we waited for the race, we enjoyed some hot air balloons in the distance.  I wore my watch, not my garmin as it has been stopping and going blank around 5 miles lately.  We cheered on the 50k and 31k runners and at 8am, I took my place in midpack with the 19k runners.  It was already warm.  I had a larger bottle of water in my waist pack, and 1 hammer gel.  The first aid station was around 3.5 miles where we turned around, most of that trail was very rocky and through some sandy arroyas.  Most of us found our pace and place within the race, and I found myself all alone for most of the way.  Some of us had to take a potty break as we were already chugging down our own water, we refilled our bottles at the aid station.  Around 4 miles, we made a turn and begin the LONG steady steep uphill.  I have to say that I was pretty impressed with myself that I didn't stop at all till I got to the top, did a ROCKY stance with a rebel yell, had half of my first gel, and continued downhill.  I was passing a runner here and there but couldn't tell whether they were in the 50k, 31k or 19k races. It was getting very hot by then and even though I thought I was conserving, I begin to run low on water.  The runners I was passing were also running low or out of water.  The next aid station was around 8.5 miles.  I could feel my heart rate increasing so I slowed down my pace.  I was totally out of water by the time I reached 6.5 miles!! So I finished the other half of my first gel and took the last drop of water.   I begin taking a 1 minute walk break about every 5 minutes.  Finally, around 7 miles, runners who made the turn around at the second aid station came into sight.  What I love about trail runners are they are the most supportive and we cheer each other on!!  Boy, I needed that as I anticipated how wonderful a cold glass of water will taste like!!  It seemed to take forever but as I turned and ran up a short arroya, I saw the tent and they had chairs at the aid station!!  I had to take some salt tabs, 4 cups of gatorade, some pretzels, and refilled my bottle with ice/water.  Each aid station had plenty of other snacks as the 50k and 31k runners to replenish themselves.  I rested about 2-4 minutes and took off again. I felt so much better.  From 8.5 miles to about 10 miles, the hill seemed and felt never-ending, pretty rocky too!! I went back to taking a 1 minute walk break every 5 minutes of running.  I wished I had another gel.  But upon reaching the top of the hill at 10 miles, I picked up my pace and ran non-stop, passed a few runners.  I could see the finish line at the ramada and another runner I focused on the last 1/2 mile.  Almost caught him, darn it! Scared him though, haha!! The last 25 yards was up an arroya!! It was euphoric!! Now that's a TRAIL RACE!!  I love and miss this trail running series!!  The total miles of this distance was 11.8.  Each runner got a nice glass pint.  Only the first place runner, male and female, in each distance category got a plaque with a halloween theme.  I came in 37th overall in the 19k distance, 10th overall in the female, and 2nd in the 50-59 AG.  I was hoping to finish in 2:30 or less but I'm satisfied with my 2:37:35 official finish time.  Running out of water did affect my effort.  As trail runners know, we have to carry our own water and I didn't think I would run out, that was a first for me. We left and I showered at my cousin's and we ate at P.F.Chang's afterwards.  Then we returned home, so glad my brother drove all the way back.  I was in bed by 8 pm that night! No aches/pains/or sore muscles.  WOW! 

Me again.  I had planned to run a 'double' (19k trail race on Saturday, Oct. 19; then a HM road race on Sunday, Oct.20) but work schedule forced me to opt out of the road race.  So I thought I could run a HM on Oct. 26th instead but I returned very late on Friday (Oct. 25th) from NM.  I was exhausted and thought that I could leave early the next morning to make the 8 am HM start in Phoenix.  I didn't hear from Art either so I don't know if he ran the Peoria HM on Sat. Oct. 26th.  Anyway, it takes about 2 hrs to get there.  Apparently my body had other plans that I slept right through my alarm, LOL!!  DH called later and I told him what happened.  His brilliant advice: "Just run 13.1 miles on the trail instead, the road course is always too hard on your feet anyway."  Did I tell you guys that DH is a genius?  LOL!! And so I did, actually I ran 13.5 miles just because I could.  Then I ran on a different trail the next day (Sunday), mostly uphill, ending at just over 8500 ft, about 10 miles.  And I was back on a return flight to MN on Monday at 7am. I'm going to rest till next year!  LOL!! Just kidding!  I'm not in any rush to get some running in this week.  Just glad to be back home with DH.

I don't have internet (or Directv) anymore at my AZ home so I have to drive into town to log on.  And, I don't like going into town much after traveling for work.  Once home (in AZ), I have been getting the house ready for winter:  sanding/priming/painting house trim/garage/shed, insulating interior areas, and pruning trees/shrubs. The re-stuccoing and re-painting of the stucco wall took most of my time.  But I'm happy to say that I rode my harley bike TWICE!! Temps have been ideal with the high of 60 degrees most of the time I have been there.  I'm going to catch up with each of your news but I know each of you have been good about your training and managing any injuries.   

Take care!!

WDWRich

AZ - Just a quick note to say Well Done on the 19k trail run!  Impressive time given the hills involved.  Thanks for the great race report.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

Marie~So happy to see your post. CONGRATULATIONS to you and DD on a well run 13.1 and bonus of a PR, too!  You are truly a blessing to your parents.  Good to read that running keeps everything in balance.  Remember to take care of yourself. Smile

Dan~It was great to see you and DW, and meet your friends.  Was the wind quieter on the Lake Michigan side on Saturday?  Hope you had a nice weekend!

AZ~ Shocked You must be a mountain climber!  CONGRATULATIONS on running a great race, and 13.5 the next day. I loved reading your RR.

Rich~How has the running been going?

Back in 5 w/ the RR from the relay last weekend ...

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

Ran my first relay last Saturday, and I highly recommend it!  The Door County Fall 50 runs from the top of the WI “thumb” to Sturgeon Bay.  Motto for the race is “start running at Gills Rock and don’t stop until someone hands you a beer”.  Temps were around 43F at the start and hovered up to 48F during the race.  As Dan mentioned, the winds were steady all day - NW 22 mph w/gusts to 35 mph.  My left ankle which I'd turn on an easy run earlier in the week was a bit tender.  I wore a Zensah brace to help support it.  It really helped.

The 160 solo runners (amazing folks!) started at 7am, with the relay teams following in 3 waves.  Our 5 member team was estimated to finish in 8:12  based on our combined pace average.  Our first runner took the first leg very easy and monitored her heart rate due to being an expectant mom.  After passing the slap bracelet holding the timing chip off to me, I took off for my 6.7 miles and the first .5 mile 150-ft. climb.  I ran the hill nice and easy, because there would be another climb to come.  After .75 mile the route turned off the main hwy. and followed a country road with beautiful views of the white caps on Green Bay.  The autumn colors were amazing!  The next 4 miles were down hill.  Traveled through the village of Sister Bay, past Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant with a grass roof and live goats that keep it trimmed!  At 6 miles, began the second .5 mile at 100-ft. climb.  Crested the hill and saw the exchange tents.  Glided down the hill and passed the bracelet off to DS1 for his 7.2 miles.  Happy to see my sweet DH, and chatted with Dan, his lovely wife and met Dan’s friends.  Grabbed a Gatorade, orange slices, banana and we were off to catch up with DS1.

The 10 exchange points had a large variety of food consisting of Gatorade, water, bananas, orange/apple slices, bagels, hard candy, cookies, CLIF bars.  The mid-point exchange featured the Half Way Café with PB&J sandwiches, hot chicken noodle soup, candy bars.  There was a large area with shelter for the solo runners to take a break, change shoes/socks, stretch and replenish before continuing their journey.  It was so exciting welcoming the solos into the exchanges with shouts of encouragement and applause.

Our team was running well and keeping on pace.  My final leg was the final 4.7 miles of the route, and thankfully, at this point the route was fairly flat.  At mile #47, ran with one of the solo runners for a while.  He was pleased with his run, but happy it was almost over.  Encouraged him to stay strong and I’d expect to see him at the finish!  I am in awe of anyone running 50 miles solo, especially considering the hills in this race!  As I rounded the last turn I, saw the tops of the tents at the finish line area.  My team joined me to cross the finish line – together!  WE DID IT!   We made it in 8:09, a few minutes under our estimated finish time!   Finish party was fantastic, with pizza, breadsticks, soda, beer, music, dancing and lots of crazy costumes.  We stayed until they kicked us out of the tents.  We all said we’d do this again in a minute.

This event was extremely well run.  Considering there were 160 solo, 360 teams of 2-3 runners, and 100s of support vehicles the RD/organizers had every base covered with tons of friendly volunteers.  The biggest surprise was how fast the day went.  DH (van driver) and I thought there would be more “down-time”.  He brought a book and never opened it!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Marie - Congratulations on the HM pr.  Well done!

Debra - Nice race report on the 50 miler relay.  Sounds like it was a fun event.  I like that your team crossed the finish line together.  Thanks for asking about my running.  Happily, I've been running without any Achilles issues.  In order to avoid any further injury, I've been sticking to my plan of adding one mile per week to my long Saturday runs.  Did 7 miles this past Saturday, and am finally back to my comfortable race pace.  DD and I may enter a 10k on Thanksgiving.

Cheers everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Deb:  YAY!!! What a memorable event, with family along and a team finish!!  Any photos? Team relay would be something different for me, I would like to do it someday.  I think Dan was suggesting a Spring one in your area.  I am hoping my schedule keeps me close by because it would be a chance to meet others from this forum and to travel and explore in that part of the country.  CONGRATS on the finish.  It really sounds like you had a wonderful time and such camaraderie is essential to fun and glory......and with family ties!!  So happy to hear that your injury stayed up with all the running times.  Thanks for sharing!

Rich:  glad to know you are healing very well and gearing up for another run on Thanksgiving!!  Are you on a rehab plan? Where is the race?

Marie:  WAY TO GO!! Walk breaks aren't so bad when used accordingly.  I don't know if I could do the 30 sec run/30 sec walk but modifications do work as it did for you and in the end (which is the important part of a race, IMO), you find yourself with extra energy for a strong finish.  Aside from that, the running must be therapeutic for you in many ways too.  Your parents are very blessed to have you there.

Dan:  So when is the relay in the Spring? Lucky you that you met Deb and others!!  That was so nice of you and others to cheer her on!!

Not running at all this week.  Knee doesn't like the cold, clammy temps here so I've been allowing some time for it to 'acclimate' to this.  Been stretching and using the foam roller though but all in all, just enjoying time with DH.  Temps have been in the 30s/40s during the day; 20s at night, BRRRR!!  You all stay warm and wishing you all a great weekend!!

justrundan

In Milwaukee suburb last 2 days for conference, got on TM at hotel yesterday and this morning, total 5.1 mi.  Still have not replaced my broken one.  Stopped at local Sears store near hotel last night to look them over.  Wow, sticker shock.  Anywhere from $800 for year old model on sale to over $5300 for a Lifestyle model.  (hotel had that brand).

AZ- WOW!  JUST WOW!!  That's all I can say about that elevation profile on your 19K!  I'd have been walking a lot!  Shocked  Great job.  and yes, acclimating to the cold and damp must be tough after all that time in the SW.

Deb- yes, it was windy wherever we went that weekend in Door County.  We were pleasantly surprised by how much color remained.

Rich- nice job ramping up the miles slowly.  When you're in this "50 and over" forum, discretion is the better part of valor when coping with injuries! Big grin

The "Run Away to the Bay" relay is April 26, 2014.  http://runawaytothebay.com/      is the web site.  Registration opens 12/1.  Have tried to find out how fast it fills after hearing from Debra how quickly the Fall 50 is filled.  2014 will be the 3rd year for this relay, I believe.  Also have not been able to determine cost yet.  There are 11 legs, shortest 3.4 mi, longest just under 7 mi.  Teams can have up to 6 runners.  They have a "masters" division for over 40, which we would certainly qualify for!  (Do they have a handicap for us over 60 types?  Wink )

It would  be fun to do if we could get 5-6 folks from the forum to run it together.  There are a couple of other runners from WI on the My Last Run Was... forum who might be interested.   Let me know of level of interest and i'll contact them as well.

AZ-if you visited this area and the race finishes in Green Bay, you and DH would just HAVE to take the Lambeau Field tour!

Have a great weekend, run strong.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Just returned from a weekend filled with running.  DS2's HS varsity team boys and girls both qualified for the state meet, so we traveled to central WI to cheer them on.  DS2 is on the JV team and it was a wonderful opportunity  for young athletes to witness where a lot of miles, hard work and sweat will get you.  It was fantastic!  Our teams did very well, with one of our girls(freshman) placing 5th overall and our boys team taking 1st in their division!

The teams and their families celebrated at an indoor water park for the remainder of the weekend.  Went out for a group 5 miler this morning.  Many of the team's parents are also runners.  The acorns don't fall far from the trees!  Crisp and sunny morning running along the Wisconsin River with a lot of color remaining on the trees -- BEAUTIFUL!

Dan~Funny, you were in Milwaukee and I was really close to Baraboo this weekend!  Checking my calender for availability for the Run Away to the Bay relay. I should have DS2's spring sports schedule soon.

AZ~I hope you will be getting the "little warm-up" temps we are predicted to experience this week.  I'll try to post some relay pics, esp. the medal -- it was stellar!

Rich~Great 7 mile run!  Wise move adding a mile every week to your long runs.  Hope the Thanksgiving 10k works out for you and DD!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Got all geared up to run in the cold, slightly breezy, and depressingly cloudy day around 1 pm today and can you believe it:  right on cue as I opened the front door, it started to SNOW!!!!  It's not 'sticking' so will see how long I can wait it out.  DH is off today.  He stood by me with a 'I'm so sorry' look on his face .........smiled and walked back to his lounger, LOL!!  So I need to check out the local exercise place or the university to see how long I can survive the TM!!  DH and I went to the annual Ski event day at the local 'resort' .........their annual ski expo ........on the only hill within a 10 miles radius, more like bunny hills.  We walked to the top and met a couple (with 3 young kids) who just moved from Flagstaff!!! What are the odds?!? Each of us with a, "what made you move here?!?" haha!! We were all elated and chatted for over an hour.  It was a great day!! I got the number of the owner of the ski resort so I can ask if I can run the 'hill' now and then. Then see how far I can run on the dirt road on the other side, it's pretty quiet, no traffic.  Can't wait!!

Dan:  OMG on the sticker prices of TMs!! I have been looking too but I think I will end up going to the local gym club instead.

Deb:  I should 'loiter' the soccer and track fields to see if I can find some running buddies!! haha!!