50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

Altair5 - I have trained the same way. The only equipment I use is the clock in the kitchen. Look at it when I leave, look at it again when I get back. That's my time. Wait, does a MP3 player count as equipment? I guess the point, at least to me, in using equipment is if you are trying to really improve your time. And I think it depends on why we are running. I run for the exercise, health benefits and the time to either think or let my mind wander. I do several events a year (6-8) just to see where I am and I like supporting those charities.

My thoughts exactly on starting to run. They go away after a few as I settle in on whatever pace I feel like. I put in speed work similar to you. And sometimes I add strength to my runs. A park I run past has exercise stations and I will do pull-ups going out and then coming back. To kind of work on agility and balance I move my feet around on the road  by not stepping on the road crack sealer and hitting just the pavement. Kind of hard to describe. But it makes me think keep moving ahead while moving my feet all over instead of just forward.

And since I don't have any hills close by I improvise. One of my runs goes along the canals we have here. This particular canal has an elevation change of about 4 feet. So I run down and then up then down and then up. That's my way of working on hills. The other is at the high school and running up and down the bleachers. I'm sure a lot of us have improvised in these ways. It shows how creative we can be.

Right now I am starting to get excited for the Phoenix half this Saturday. The weather is looking to be perfect. Clear, sunny and temp about 50 at start.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Marie- love your story!! Smile  Unfortunately, despite being 70" & 145#, my lack of hair on top my head give me just the opposite problem!  Several years ago I made a small order at our local Culver's fast food joint, but when the young man told me my total, I told him he must have forgotten something; the total was too low.  "Well, I just gave you the senior discount, sir".   Angry  Almost reached across the counter and grabbed his scrawny neck!  I often tell DW when we are out to eat that it is only a matter of time before someone compliments me for taking my 'daughter' out for dinner!  Such is life!

Altair5-  I literally lol with your voice suggestions!  The Garmin for my car has those nice sultry English voices. My Garmin watch just gives a little 'ding-ding' when my HR goes too low or high, and flashes something on the screen.  However, my hearing loss makes it almost impossible for me to hear the faint noise it makes.  (Really, I'm not quite 60 yet!  Smile)  You can set it for a high and low limit for it to keep track of for you.

Art- weather sounds perfect for your run Saturday.  Enjoy!

4 miles @ slow tempo pace today, will almost reach 90 for the month if I run my usual Thursday. Rest day tomorrow after 6 in a row.

Dan

Another 'warm' day here in northern MN, about 28 degrees when I headed out the door, a bit breezy, hazy but still tons of snow.  I kept to the shoulder of the road where I could run on the muddy 'dirt' and slush which felt great!!  Kinda 'mimicking' a 'trail' (how I miss them so Sad) and to remind my ankles to not 'slack off' haha!  Finished 10.25 miles in 1:45, YAY!!  I know it was a great run when I have the feeling of 'I could have run a couple of more miles!"  But taking it easy and working up to my long run this weekend.

I don't listen to music at all when I run, I pretty much 'zone out' and there are times when I look at my garmin and find that I finished another mile, LOVE IT!! No hills in sight around here, bummer.

WOW!! justrunday:  6 in a row, awesome!!

GOOD LUCK this weekend on the PHX half Art in AZ!!!

justrundan

Quick 3.2 mi this morning before work, 88 mi for month.  Plan to continue low heart rate training another 2 weeks, then start to push harder/longer in prep for the HM in early May.  Already extending my F or S run, depending on which day I have more time.  I'll be up to 9 miles this weekend, hope can get outside, would rather NOT do that on TM!

az2mn- You are having great runs in the far North!   Always plenty of slush, ice, dirt and snow to make your shoes and running clothes look like you've been on a wet trail!

Keep running strong everyone!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Ya-hoo!  Great going on your 6 day running streak AND 90 miles for February.  Keep up the great work!  BTW-DH has similar reactionAngry when servers/sales people call him "grandpa" when out with our 14 year old!

AZ~I hope it stays "balmy" for your long run this weekend.  Sounds like you're acclimating well to MN weather!Smile

Art~Have an awesome run at the Phoenix HM this weekend!  Looking forward to reading your RR.  DS1 arrives in Phoenix next week to enjoy  MLB spring training and running in your beautiful weather.

Altair~Funny post!Big grin  I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 w/HR monitor.  I've never used the HR monitor, but set it up for pace alerts.  The alarm kinda drove me crazy after a while, so I shut it off.  I would prefer the calm voice you described (perhaps actor Ben Kingsley's voice).

Marie~LOVED your story!!  I agree w/ AZ about your optimistic outlook adding to your youthfulness!  All the best with training for your April HM.

WDWRIch~#1:  THANK YOU for you service as a reservist!  #2:  Enjoy your retirement and all the extra time to spend running!

Started the week off with a planned 12 mile LSD on Sunday at the indoor track.  The track complex was very busy, I was distracted and  missed hitting the lap counter on the Garmin.  So I decided to just run for time which would have been about 2:15 for 12 miles.  Lost track of time, brain not working that day I guess -- ended up going about 3 hours.  Longest run ever!  Found a good pace and just kept rolling.  Fueled up twice with HammerGel huckleberry and water.  Ice bath and lots of foam rolling when I got home.  Felt good as new on Monday morning -- amazing!  Regular easy 6 mile run on Tuesday before the snowstorm arrived.   We received 9 inches of fresh snow so....back to the indoor track for 6 mile tempo run today.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

22 degrees when I got out today for my training run: 7.15 miles in 1:10, felt marvelous!!  Another "could have run more" day Smile, ran on the snowy portions of the snowpacked, slippery neighborhood road, to keep my ankles strong.  I'm so impatient sometimes! So difficult to not run more but I planned on running at least 5 days this week (actually hereafter in training for my marathon in May) so one more day to go; a long run of 12 miles on Saturday (keeping fingers crossed that it's a nice day).

gito57:  3 hours!?! all zoned out? Best way to run sometimes, that happens to me when I run on my trails, losing track of time and still going strong!! WAY TO GO!! Yeah, not sure how the weekend weather will be here in northern MN, weather forecast isn't all that reliable as this state seems to concentrate more on the Twin Cities.  Snows when it suppose to rain, and vice versa 'up here' ............

I have the same type of Garmin you have and don't use the HR monitor either, I have mine set to beep when I reach 10 miles.  "Older" model but still working ..........like me!  haha!

justrundan

Debra- Wow, that's what I call getting lost in your run!  3 hours!!   Are you sure you're not training for a marathon?  Cool  Really strong week for you!

Art- tomorrow is the day!  Good luck with your HM.   Looking forward to hearing all about it.

az2mn- That's a nice pace for running in snow/slush/ice.  Not the easiest track to run on.

I'm finding that Fridays are sometimes better for my LSD, so I did 9 treadmiles in 1:52.  Went without the HR monitor and just ran till I wanted to walk for a minute, then ran again.  After mile 6 I took someones advice and popped in a DVD of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and laughed my way through the last 3 miles.  It was great except I was too preoccupied to notice when the TM was getting to 100 minutes.  It automatically shuts off & I ran into the front rack on the thing!  Surprised  Feels good to start March off strong, should be able to get 90-100 this month if all goes well.

Fueling question: last year I mostly just used GU gel or shotblocks; do you all use anything different on longer runs.  I didn't use anything before or during today's run, and I don't think it affected me, but I need to get prepared as the runs get longer.  What are your thoughts?

Have a great weekend running&racing!

Dan

rmcj001

Hey folks!  Everyone seems to be doing well.

Marie & Dan - We've hit that stage where it can be difficult to tell how old we actually are.  So, much of it has to do with appearance and genetics.  Thank or blame your ancestors.  I expect people to get my age wrong and for the last 20 years just embrace it.  Getting my gender wrong I do find insulting. I used to think it was my hair length (my Aunt once thought I was my sister), but after it was cut short still would get the occasional "Miss can I help you?".  Grew facial hair, no change.  I personally don't think I look or act feminine, so it must be my body type.

I'm average height for a woman and slight, so I guess if you're clueless I could be mistaken for a woman.  What's the phrase, "you'll never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the public"?

Art - Do you get butterflies before races?  I still do.  Not  all, but for some - ones I think I might PR in.  Have a great race!

Debra - That must have been nice, 3 hours just boggles my mind.  Kudos!

AZ - Did you see the NY Times article about the 66 year old trail runner in Boulder?  Made me think of you out there on your trails.

Altair - Tempo pace is something like 90-95% of race pace.  In a tempo run you should be running easy for 10-15 minutes, tempo pace, then 10-15 minutes easy pace.  If your goal for a 5K is 8 minute miles running world calculates your paces as

Easy Run:             10:06 per mile

Tempo Run:            8:26 per mile

Maximum Oxygen:  7:36 per mile

Speed Form:           7:02 per mile

Long Run:             10:06 - 11:22 per mile

Yasso 800s:           3:54 per 800 meters

Ran 4 consecutive days this week, today is supposed to be rest day.  Wednesday night was thinking I might have overdone it with 3 days in a row, but leg felt pretty good in the morning.  Been better about icing this week and believe I might have reached a tipping point.  Think I just need to be careful and really good about icing over the next couple of weeks.  Weather has been really warm out here, expected high today is 72F - yesterday was 70F.  Ordered some new footwear yesterday.

Ray

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az2mntrail -  Great that your weather is in the upper 20's or 30's and you can do outside runs! I never use a TM myself and a big part of my enjoyment is to be outside, even in the winter. It  hasn't been super cold here in upstate NY, a few days the morning in has been in the single digits, but warms up by the afternoon. I think my coldest run was at 17 degrees this winter. To answer your question about why I would want to change my training to use HR; my motivations for running are basically three: first would be for health and fitness, second for the relaxation and enjoyment of outdoor exercise, getting to see the world outside and appreciate the sights, lastly for the sense of accomplishment it brings.I would say that if I were to use the HR training it would be for the purpose of improving speed as it might be a more scientific, precise way of getting faster. I guess having more speed would increse my sense of accompishment. I would like to do about 10 minute miles for my training run and for speed be able to run 8 minute miles. Right now I am going a lot slower than 10 on my longer runs and last September I did a 5K at a 8:49 pace (still good enough for 2nd in my AG with the small local field). Anyway, right now my goal is endurance and distance and I have decided not to worry about speed until I am able to do marathon distance. I occasionally take my MP-3 player out on a run, sometimes it helps me keep up a faster pace when I run with the music.

Marie - Good story! Running does make you more fit and youthful!

Art in AZ - You are similar to me in using minimum equipment. I also used to be running past exercise stations when I lived on Long Island, but they don't have them where I live now in  a small town in upstate NY. Good luck on your half this weekend! 

justrundan -  It is good that the HRM can be set to make some kind of noise for whatever settings you want. I did look online at GPS watches with HRMs and the Garmins look like good ones. Not in a hurry to get one right away, esecially since the good ones are over $200! I don't have experience with using gels or anything during a run, although sometimes I will carry a sports drink  on a long run. I have a little pack it sits in, the weight is a bit awkward until I finish it off. I usually will have a supplemented banana smoothie before any really long run and a freshly made vegetable juice is great for recovery.

gito57 -  Nice to have an indoor track to run on with all that snow you got! You must be in great shape to run 3 hours without thinking about it. By the way, could someone define "tempo run"? I guess it is different than a speed run and is just running at a quicker than normal pace.

WDWRIch~#1 -  I also want to thank you for your service and wish you well on your retirement. It must be great to have more time for your own activities.

rmcj001 - You seem to be doing well with the running, keep icing the leg if it helps! It will be a while before it warms into the 70's here, although you never know, we did have some warm spells this winter into the 50's and even  up to 60!  But then it was in the low 20's a few days later.

My rest day today after the long  11 mile run yesterday.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

Well I got my race bib, laid out my stuff for the morning and have finished eating dinner. So I am as ready as I can be. Feel a little excited because I can soon check this one off the list. Weather looks great and I'm ready to go. Now if I can just get a decent night's sleep.

Debra - It seems funny reading everyone's long runs while I feel like I'm slacking off doing my taper runs. A 3 hour run! You weren't lost in time, you were in the Zone. Just following your body's groove. Nice job.

Dan - See, there's another reason I don't like treadmills. They try to hurt you if left to their own desires. One would hope they would give some kind of warning. On the fueling question. For me it depends on the time of year and weather. Now with the weather being cool for runs 8 miles or less I just start the day with some orange juice, get ready and then drink some Gatorade. And refuel when I get finished. During Summer I take water with me. Especially during the summer. For runs 10 miles or longer sometimes I start with a Hammer gel and carry some water and Gatorade. I have a 2 bottle Nathan belt. Sometimes I take the Hammer gel half way through instead of the beginning. I like the Hammer gels better then Gu. And when I practice my long run of 13 miles I use some Hammer Heed instead of Gatorade. Tomorrow will see how I do as I plan on taking a gel at the start and carrying one with me for halfway and carrying some Heed in my water bottles. This is one of the things I question for a race. Bring my drinks or rely on the drinks along the course.

Ray - Good news on the runs. And those new shoes should be worth 15 seconds faster times at least! Smile In fact I wasn't feeling really comfortable in my new Asics GT-2170's I got so I bought a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS-13s on Tuesday. I'm hoping they give me my 15 second faster times.

Happy running to everyone this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Art-hope the race went well today!!

i like the idea if a smoothie before a long run. I'll need to find some good recipes. What do you supplement it with?  Protein powder?

After my 9 mile LSD yesterday my 4 treadmiles were a slow slog. Now remember why I always took the day off after long run last year during FM training. And the LSD wasn't as slow as I usually go.

have fun running&racing this weekend friends.

Dan

Art in AZ

Got up this morning feeling OK even after waking a few times during the night. Which is usual, pre-race jitters I guess. Went outside and it was warmish. Changed out of the long sleeve shirt for a short sleeve and added my arm warmers. Got to the start area and it was pretty crowed so ending up starting from about two-thirds of the way from the front. Next time I worm my way closer to the front. Gun goes off at 630AM and a little before I cross the start line I see 2 minutes plus have already passed. No worry as it will be chip timed. Of course the road was crowded and slow going. Was harder trying to move around people. Well I won't do this again.

After about a mike or so it thinned out some and I was able to get into some kind of rhythm. But then someone would decide to get in front and then slow down. Around the 2 mile mark I pass the 2:20 pace group while dodging people. Thins out some more as I pass people. Soon I pass the 2:10 pace group. Feeling good now because I seem to be making progress. Feel good running, find a comfortable pace and soon pass the 2:00 group. Hey if I keep this up I'll beat 2 hours. It's still cool out and I don't feel the need but I take a drink of Heed every couple of miles.

Thins out some more and I see the start of the 10K. They start at 7:30 and haven't left. Good! That means I've done about 7 miles in under an hour. Now I feel I can come close to my best time of 1:54:26. Still feel fine. Boom goes the gun for the start of the 10K. Sure enough in a few minutes people start passing. Drats! I don't feel like I'm slowing down but try to keep my pace.

Then I see mile 11 marker and wonder what happen to 9 and 10. And it seems I am feeling sore some. Mile 12 comes up and I'm thinking almost there but feeling a little more pain. And then the downhill section and about a mile to go. Speed up a little, pass a few people, turn the corner and can see the general finish area. OK. I try to push a little more and there it is the finish. I look at the clock at it shows 1:53:something. What! Yay, faster then last year. Now I know why I was feeling some pain. My pace was faster than I thought.

I checked my official time a little while ago. 1:50:23! A new PR by 4 minutes. This may be hard to beat later. But yes, today was a good day to race. So I guess those new Brooks GTS-13 were worth those 15 seconds.Big grin

So far, 2 races this year, 2 new PRs. Now I wonder, can I do it again next Sunday when I have a 15K. Well I hope so because I feel motivated right now. Hmmm. Were can I find a 10K to run?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Art- great race and great race report.  I've only done one HM last fall (2:36), and that was a 'just to finish' race in prep for my FM in October.  I hope to lower my time 5-10 minutes for my May race, then aim for 2:20 or less for the one in September.  I've got a lot of work to do between now and then!  Take a few days off to rest and bask in the accomplishment!

More snow headed our way T&W this week!!  Maybe the last of the winter?

Have a good week running friends.

Dan

ART in AZ:  WAY TO GO!!!  Big grin  CONGRATS!! That is soooo awesome!!!  I'm sooo happy for you!!  What a race and a fabulous finish, the unexpected is sweet!!  i knew you would do incredible!!! WOW!!  I share your jubilation and a high five on the PR!!!  Wink  Perfect day, perfect race!!!  That is amazing and loved your race report!!  Can't wait for your next race report!!!! Smile

Crazy Diamond

Well done Art!!!  Congratulations on a well run HM and well earned PR.  I've read that Ryan Hall still gets "butterflies" before a race, so you are in good company.Smile  Did you break the new Adrenaline's(my DS1 fav training shoe) in on this race?  The 15 seconds may have been the shoe, but I think it was all the great training you did to prepare yourself for the race.  All the best on your 15k!

Quo Vadis?