50 and over 5k and beyond

June 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

rmcj001

New month and old habits...

5/1/2015, Monday, Forgot running shoes and decided to try a barefoot run - minor mistake, should have cut the run shorter (and I actually did).  Bike trail was just a bit too rough for my 5.5 miles (should have stuck to 3).  Picked up some blisters under the callouses and manage to tear one open.  Hopefully everything will heal quickly.

Figured I get the month started and then reply to everyone in a more complete update.

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 6/1... with the half marathon I'm supposed to run less than a week away, it's time to get serious about running the thing.    So, I've decided I'm done running until either my leg stops hurting, or it's race morning and I'm lined up waiting for the gun to go off.     I think I can pull this off, my nephew's a triathlete who runs very little, doing all his hard training on the bike.   Put him in a 5K though and he'll go under 20 minutes.    Today's workout for me consisted of a hard 8 miler on the mtn bike followed by another 5 on the trike.    I'm reasonably sure I'll be ready to go by Sunday as long as I give my leg a break from running and just stick to cross training.

Ray... I wonder how long it'll be before you forget your running shoes again...lol   Ouch! lol   Good luck with the blisters!

az... my sore leg was caused by me trying to get "lighter" on my feet as a runner.    The sore muscle is on the outside of my lower left leg, looking at a diagram, it looks like it's the Peroneus Longus.    That would make sense, I've read that's the muscle that would help you stand on your tiptoes.   I'm looking at this injury as a necessary evil, something I need to go through to toughen that muscle up.    That's good to know about Magnesium, I remember you having trouble with tight calf muscles leading up to your last race.

Chantilly75

rmcj001  barefeet isn't any fun if they are not toughened up first! 

NH Runner Hope your plan goes well.

5 miles.  Right arch a bit sore from the new shoes. Will break them in gradually.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

No runs over the weekend ... yard work, etc., on Saturday & granddaughter clothes shopping (she wasn't with us) followed by a movie (Avengers).  It was in the mid-80s on Saturday, rainy & cooler on Sunday.  Today?  temps in the low 50s, cloudy, some rain, some light showers.

Ran a nature trail/rail trail loop in a list mist today for 5.5 miles.  Considering how much rain we've gotten over the past 48 hours the nature trail wasn't muddy at all; grass was wet but the usual muddy spots were just soft dirt.  Guess the ground was really dry!!  Glad to have the rain, it's going to really help the lawn & garden ...

Today's run was in my new Altras ... Torin 2.0.  I've had the 1.0, 1.5, & now the 2.0.  The 1.5 was a significant improvement over the 1.0 & the 2.0 continues the trend although not quite as significant as the change from the 1.0 to the 1.5.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 6/2... 14 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today, leg is much improved from yesterday.

Chantilly... judging from the leg improvement from just one day of bike riding and no running, I'm cautiously optimistic about making Sunday's race.    I'm real curious what today's ride did for my leg, but won't know 'til tomorrow morning.     It's funny how some shoes are ready to go right out of the box and others require a break-in, isn't it?

adkkev... ditto on the weather, yesterday's bike ride was in the rain, the wind was blowing and the temp was 46.    The weatherman was saying  May was the warmest month ever on record, June 1st was one of the coldest days...lol    I've got a pair of zero drop Altras, but haven't worn them in a while.   I like the brand though.

adkkev

No run today ... on the road for a meeting in Rochester & then back home so that made for a pretty long day.

I decided to commit myself to a short (20 miles) Father's Day weekend backpack on the Long Trail in Vermont with a hiker friend ... he's working on completing the whole trail over the course of the summer.  He completed 103 miles of the southern section up to Killington during the week of Memorial Day & had a blast.

Art in AZ

Went to Illinois Friday morning to attend a funeral. Checked weather before I left and they were showing rain and cold temps. So I packed a winter shirt. Good thing I did. Didn't run Sat. morning because of the steady light rain. But throughout the day the temps kept dropping and the wind increased. Sunday morning went out for a run. It was cold, damp and very windy. Managed 3 miles around the neighborhood. Wished I brought my gloves with. Monday morning the weather was good for running. Temps in the lower 50s, sunny and a light wind. Better than the 40s on Sunday. Did 3 miles again. Got back to Arizona and the 100 degree temperature.

5 miles this morning in lower 80s and clear sky. Felt good after the weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

It was definitely a muggy day even with the slight 12mph breeze, about 68 degrees, 68% humidity, cloudy and light rain now and then as I ran the paved state bike trail along the lake. Many cyclists out too.  Planned on last 'long' run about 18 miles but only made it to 14 miles. Just didn't have enough time as I started later than planned due to a couple of long conference calls, and we are expecting dinner guests at our home. Calves are much better though. Just have to focus on tapering now for June 20 FM.

adkkev:  do you plan on camping on your hike?  any mosquitoes yet? I miss hiking the Grand Canyon ......and the SW mtns.

NH:  glad the leg is feeling better.  Cycling is great way stay conditioned.  You'll do great in the upcoming HM with that optimistic outlook.

Chantilly:  like you need something else to mess up your training runs.  I don't do well with blisters especially with new shoes but that hasn't happened to me in years.

Ray:  barefoot running just isn't something that I will do but glad the blisters are 'minor'... ouch!

Dan:  how is the training coming along?

Art in AZ

Clicked wrong button.

Ray - Ouch on running barefoot there. At least the streak is still going. An easy taper week for you before the weekend.

Rich - Nice cross training. I agree that training on a bike is good. Still work your legs and breathing but treats you legs to lesser impacts. Good news on the leg feeling better.

Chantilly - Hopefully the shoe breaks in quick.

adkkev - New shoes also. That trail hike sounds like fun.

AZ - Good you were able to help fix your legs. I pretty much eat a banana after every run. As for the interesting runs on the weekend it was because of the weather in Illinois. Wasn't sure what to expect.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 6/3... 3 mile easy walk on the railtrail followed later in the day by an 8 mile easy mtn bike ride.    Yesterday's 14 mile ride at a quicker pace didn't work, so today I toned it down.

adkkev

5.25 miles on the nature trail ... beautiful late afternoon for a run!!  Glad I don't have allergies because the cottonwood "cotton" has exploded all over the trail & lots of wild flowers are in bloom.  Smells pretty sweet though!!

NH Runner

Thursday. 6/4... yesterday's routine worked so well I repeated it again today, 3 mile easy walk followed later by an 8 mile easy railtrail ride on the mtn bike.     I'm not "out of the woods" yet with my leg, but making good progress with 3 days to go 'til the half.

Has anyone seen what Scott Yurek's up to?   Just started on the Appalachian Trail and covered 300 miles in the first 6 days.    Amazing!    Also, the 92 year old woman who just ran a marathon?    Unbelievable!

Everyone's running well, except me.   But I'm working on it!

Chantilly75

adkkev I have wondered about Altras..are they a zero drop shoe? Sounds like a good hike for you and your friend.

Art in AZ  Sorry about the funeral. Guess that was quite the temperature change for you.

az2mntrail You have done so many tough trail races you could be in shape for Grandma's, even without an 18- 20 miler.

NH Runner Only a few days to go, hope the leg holds.

Yes, I have been reading about those 2 stories. Then Scott is going to retire after?  ...But the 92 yr. old isn't….

3 miles yesterday.

7 miles today plus yard work and free weights.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under clear skies. Just a regular run.

Rich - Nice and easy before the race. You'll do fine.

adkkev - The nature trail run sounds relaxing. The only sweet smell I get around here is when the orange groves are in blossom.

Chantilly - Nice couple of runs and cross-training. I read a little about the 92-year old running. Inspiration for all of us.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

After tweaking the ankle last Friday no run until Tuesday, did short easy run that morning and this morning, no trouble with the ankle.  plan to head back out to the trails tomorrow morning and focus on form and 'careful' running!    Plan to spend more time on the trails that make up part of the race.  Mileage really suffering though.  working part of tomorrow, on call Saturday.  Sunday going with DW to DS/DDIL and then to Eagles concert in Green Bay.  Just about DW's all-time favorite band. 

You all are doing well, enjoy the weekend!

Dan