50 and over 5k and beyond

April runs and workouts (Read 17 times)

Fletch

Leave it to the new guy to screw things up by posting an April workout in the March thread...

Here's a re-post....sorry.

Sounds like a very pleasant run, adkkev. Glad the bad weather missed you.

Az, your run doesn't sound so pleasant, weather-wise...but at least you got out there and ran. Safe travels to you.

5 miles this morning, with hill sprints between miles 3 and 4.

rmcj001

Second post today (something must be wrong .  Tuesday, 4/1, 9 miles 75:25 - got rained on again and hopefully hands will warm up soon so typing isn't so painful   Was looking at rain totals for N. California this year and even with the recent rains it is bad.  Water totals are anywhere from 29% to 70% of normal, with snow pack levels around 33% and reservoirs around 40%  of normal.

Ray

adkkev

7 miles around town this evening ... stars & crescent moon once again!  First run of 2014 in shorts too. 

justrundan

7 miles around town this evening ... stars & crescent moon once again!  First run of 2014 in shorts too. 

Yes, SAturday was the first day without the 'man tights'.  Felt good.

AZ- sorry for your loss.  Safe travels and good time with family.

Ray, you are a MONSTER.  When I get half that many miles in a month I am pleased.  Way to go!

5 miles this evening to start April.  Not sure how you evening runners do it, but even though it was an 'easy' run, it didn't feel that way.  stomach upset by the time I drove home from town.  guess I need to work on the lunch/afternoon snack thing to get my stomach empty before I run.   At least I was steady, every mile was within 5 seconds of each other.  Steady, and slow. 

When I got home with the upset stomach I forgot today was a local voting day.  The only thing of significance is a local school referendum, so I tore out of the house to drive the 5 miles to the little town where our township voting is held.  Got there with about 5 minutes to spare.  Hope it passes, the schools really need maintenance and the way the state laws are now, you have to get extra funding through a referendum.

Dan

Fletch

Nice running...glad you're all finally getting some warmer weather.  Ray - takes a long time to recover from a drought that severe.  Hope you guys get some significant rain soon.

6 miles this morning in 56:42.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/2... 7 mile road run today.  I warmed for a couple miles, then tried dropping the pace the next 4 before cooling down the last.   I'm gaining, but still have work to do... 9:16, 9:10, 8:40, 8:40, 8:43, 8:52 and 10:27.    I probably should grab another day off, so will do that tomorrow.

ray... Chi Running, Pose and Dr. Mark C. all say basically the same thing when it comes to foot strike and forward lean, so I don't have any plans to become a Chi Runner.   Dreyer's got the credentials and makes a lot of sense, but it's all too mechanical for me and more than I want to know...lol   Nice running lately!

adkkev... shorts eh?   Not yet for me, but I've seen a few guys running in 'em the last few days.    Nice run...

Dan... I've tried running in the evening with food in my gut and it doesn't work for me either.   Nicely done with the 5 miler.    That's weird your school's maintenance wouldn't be part of the budget, it's not like it's something you can do without...

Fletch... I commented on your hill run in last month's thread, but will repeat, hills are speedwork in disguise.    And nice run yesterday.   Oh yeah, I love chicken & turkey pot pies, can't beat good ol' home cooking...

rmcj001

adkkev - nice 7 miles.  There's something besides shorts?   In early December did one run at night where temps were around 32F and wore some sweat pants and a shirt...

Dan -  Jan 128 miles and Feb 124 miles, so March is a big jump for me too!  On Feb 17th I had 49 miles, haven't taken a day off since.

In my hometown, whenever they put an initiative on the ballot to raise funds for schools they were voted down   Consequently, I grew up in one of the poorest school districts in CA.  I think raising funds for education is a wise investment, the better educated the youngsters, the more money they'll make and the better off everyone will be.  The investment pays for itself, of course my Dad taught at the local high school, so maybe I'm just biased...

Fletch - You're coming along nicely.  Time to look into intermediate and advanced training programs?

NH - Woohoo!   Nice run, tho that penultimate mile looks like you tired a bit -  Very Nice!

Wed, 4/2/14, 9.1 miles in 1:16:52 on a nice sunny day. Mid to high 50's for temp so nearly perfect weather, probably why this was a bit faster then it should have been.  I guess will find out tomorrow...

Ray

adkkev

5.5 miles around town this evening ... a little breezy but still warm enough for shorts.

Dan: I run in the evening because that's the best time for me ... otherwise I'd have to get at 5am, run, shower, then commute to work (nearly an hour's drive).  And I've been doing it that way for a couple years now so my body is used to it.  Last summer I ran a few times in the morning because of the heat & humidity (mostly the humidity) that I knew was coming later on during the day.  And since I don't generally plan on running a specific distance when I run, evening runs give me the flexibility to stay out & run longer if I want.  Morning running doesn't give me that flexibility.

Ray - yes, shorts!! This winter has been pretty brutal for outdoor running so when the opportunity presents itself, shorts it is!!

Nana_

Hi Everyone

Welcome to April :-)

I joined a month ago and tried to keep up daily reading posting

but work-and-personal obligations take up most of my time it seems

I'm incrementally base-building over here, every few weeks adding in a "race" at a moderate effort   just for fun (...pricey training run wearing a bib...)   I'm entering a 10K on Saturday just for my LongRun -- going to walk the first mile or two.

I enjoy reading your posts. I hope to join in more soon

Crazy Diamond

Checking in  -   While on our beautiful hike last Friday w/ son, received a message from co-worker that management was flying in for a BIG meeting with one of our major accounts.  Crazy work week attempting to get all my ducks in a row.  One little duck likes to wander off and do it's own thing!   Management visits are always nerve wracking.  I'm sure it will all go well, but always happy when it's over.

Tuesday's April Fools Day run was 4 miles round trip to my polling in 35 mph wind gusts.  The poll workers say they would be disappointed if I didn't run to vote, but think I'm kinda crazy!  It was sunny, so not too bad.

Wednesday evening, 8 miles in my new Brooks Glycerins at the indoor track.  Not sure what I think about them, a big change from the  PureFlows in weight and feel.  I'll give them a few more outings before I decide if they are a good choice.  I plan on using them for mostly long runs on the bike path that was recently been paved over.

Dan~Progression, double and evening run - WTG on all of them!  Nice job being there for DW on those days when work is a struggle.

AZ~So sorry for your loss.(((hugs)))  Time to be surrounded by family. Hope you can run you trails while your there.

Rich~It's great to read about your strong runs.   I tried Chi running, too.  Lots of concepts.  Chose one to focus on each week, got that down and added another concept the following week. Continued to build on what I learned.

Ray~Wow, what a race!    Thought of Paul Simon's song, Slip Sliding Away!   Excellent run and mega miles for March.  Well done Ray!  Great run for DW coming back from her injury, too.

Fletch~Congratulations on a great race!  Top 20!!!  Your transition to running has been outstanding.

Jo~Keep up the great work on base building, so important. If the races work to keep you motivated, I say, go for it!  Our local running club offers many races at a discount.  It is well worth the modest membership fee.

Chantilly~Miss your posts.  Hope your FM training is going well.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

3.3 miles this morning, with fartleks.

Rich - nice 7 mile run.  Wish I could get that kind of consistency with the split times.

adkkev - nice 5.5 miles.

Ray - Good start to April, and after a FANTASTIC March.  Glad you asked about the intermediate and advanced programs.  I could use some feedback.  I probably bumped my weekly, and my LSD mileage, a little more than I needed to over the last two weeks.  But I'm feeling good, and running pain free.  Here's what I'm trying:  Mondays and Fridays are rest days.  Tuesday, hill sprints incorporated into the run (5 miles this week). Wednesday, easy to moderate run (6 miles this week). Thursday, fartleks.  This morning, after a warm-up jog, I started my interval timer.  Each set was 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking.  However, the last minute of each running segment was at a hard pace.  Did this for 3.3 miles.  I guess those qualify as fartleks????  As for the rest of the week, Friday will be a rest day, Saturday an easy run (probably 4-6 miles) and Sunday will be LSD (9-10 miles).  This will give me about 28-30 miles for the week, and I'll probably hold steady at that level for a little while.  I'd welcome your opinion (and anyone else who wants to chime in) on this plan.

I do not have any other races scheduled at this time.  I'm just trying to build my base, and increase my speed.  I am looking at a 10k possibly in June, and maybe a HM in the fall.  I am still on the fence about a marathon.  I don't want to take that step until I know I am ready to commit the training time and effort.  And I'm not quite at that point.....yet.

Suggestions?  Comments?

NH Runner

Thursday, 4/3... grabbed the Yaktrax and walking sticks this morning and did a 3 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail instead of taking the day off.    Nice change of pace, 44:54 total.

ray... I think I was daydreaming during yesterday's penultimate mile, halfway through I looked at my watch and saw 4:32.   As you can see, I recovered nicely...   Nice run yesterday!

adkkev... you've got a nice routine worked out for getting your runs in.   We're different in that I know every time out how far I'm going to run and usually what the effort is going to be...

Jo... just keep doing what you're doing, it's all about getting fit and taking care of your health.   Post when you can...

Fletch

I missed posts from a few of you while I was typing earlier...

Jo - Keep it up.  You're doing great!

Deb - Good to hear from you.  Nice running.  Hope the new Brooks work out for you.  And good luck with the work meetings.

Rich - Pretty impressive workout...for a rest day!

Safe running, everyone.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Sorry to hear about your cousin.  Hope you have safe travels.

Fletch_NC You're doing well with your training, and could do a 10 Km soon with maybe a HM in the summer/fall. I don't believe in runners rushing to do a marathon in the first year of training. I didn't run a full marathon until after 4 years of training. At our age, it is better to move up distances slowly and avoid injury.

rmcj001 Congratulations on your race!  Hope you get some more rain.

adkkev shorts and starlight. Sounds like a good combination.

justrundan shorts for you, too?  ( We had a bit more snow here this morning..)

Jo_ hope you do well in your 10 KM! Walking part of it is a good idea.

gito57  ? you like the Pureflows? I find them too "pillowy."  Never tried Glycerins, but imagine there would be quite a difference. Are you using the track for speed work or just because of the weather, still?

NH Runner Your achilles seems to be holding up outside, good plan, taking it easy, pushing it a little..

Training has been reduced because of extra work.  Weather is still 0F or so, with some snow here, I doubt I will be running an April marathon in these conditions.  Oh, well.  There's another one in May.  I'll see.

7 miles today and 5 miles on Tuesday.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 4/4... 8 mile road run today.   I was supposed to run an 8:55 pace according to my half marathon training plan, but didn't quite get it done.   I tried to sprint the last 200 yards of the last mile and got 30 yards into it before my left achilles started to burn, so so much for that...lol   9:13, 8:56, 8:51, 8:58, 8:54, 8:55, 9:01 and 9:13.    I'm 9 days now without a day off, so probably better grab one tomorrow...

gito... nice run on the track.   Good luck with the new shoes and the visit from management.   The last co. I worked for was headquartered in the Midwest and it was really difficult at times, them trying to run the co. from 1,500 miles away.

Fletch... your training regimen is pretty darn good.   Weekly long runs and tempo runs are the two runs I focus on the most.  Hill work and intervals come next with an eye on a gradual increase in weekly mileage.   A 10K is something you could run right now if you wanted and a half marathon this Fall is definitely possibile, but not without a specific training plan to get you ready.   Forget the marathon for now, those things are better left alone 'til you've got at LEAST a year of steady running under your belt.

Chantilly... too bad about the April marathon, but like you said, there's another one in May.    I like the way you can run a marathon on short notice, it takes a strong runner to be able to pull that off.