50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

HI everyone!  Since no internet at AZ home, have to drive into town to library's or university computers .......and only driving into town when I absolutely need to.  It is so NICE here, cool temps most of the day and I tend to acclimate well to the 7,000 ft (at our home).  Let me start w/ traveling down and running the Twisted Crawdad trail race in western Nebraska.

Sept 18, Sunday:  spent the night at hotel. Lucky I got one as the weekend was BUSY w/ a local rodeo and a football game.  My injury area (calf/back of knee) has not been happy w/ the cooler muggy temps of MN.  So I didn't get in any long runs for my HM trail race.  And, I didn't feel good about it so I switched to the 10k when I picked up my bib on race morning.  Small, SMALL race,probably less than 50 runners (5k, 10k, HM) I think it's their 2nd or 3rd yr so most of the runners were die-hard trail runners and/or mtn bikers. But the local college had their wrestling team run the 5k!!  LOL!! Most of them went all shirtless and panting ALL THE WAY, haha!! I wore a long-sleeved tech shirt b/c of the burning sun predicted, it was already 80 degrees at 9 am. less humidity though, YAY!!  I started in the back and stayed in the back.  Pasted 3 runners but I was not 'racing' so to speak.  Most of the course was dirt/rooted, rocky trail, a couple of decent hills, the 3rd mile was on a dirt road, the last 3.8 miles were through the prettiest scenery.  Had to cross 5 or 6 WATER crossings, up to my calves, and I lost my shoe in the mud TWICE!!  The shade offered some coolness under the trees.  The distance was closer to 7 miles, my garmin read 6.8 miles at the finish, and time read 1:29. My 'slowest' 10k time ever ......that I can remember. Didn't matter.  No hype at all.  I had fun and injury area made it, I iced back of knee as soon as I was done which really helps in bending the knee for the rest of the day.  They had grilled hamburgers, beans, chips and water at the finish.  Ate with the other runners who finished after I did.  No medal, just a t-shirt and a lot of clapping by the volunteers.  Love it!!

After race (shower), I made it to Denver that evening.

Stayed a couple of days, one of them involve a day trip to Boulder (running store, of course, and skirt sports, LOL).  Cities are getting too big!!  I stopped in Colorado Springs for my massage I won in a raffle.  It's actually more than a 'massage'.....my ankles/legs/knees were all looked at and tested for strength, etc..  So their opinion for my 'injury' at the calf site is more about biomechanics and tissue, not joint/bone of the knee.  I can still run but keep it short (less than HM) and easy.  I can do that!!  The MN ortho doc is convinced it's my knee even tho' I keep telling him that the 'knee swelling' only started AFTER my calf issue (most likely a severe strain).

Anyway, then on to Albq, visited/stayed with DS/DIL.

Finally to our northern AZ home on Wed evening, just in time for my meeting!!  Two hours time difference made the difference!!

DH flew in and was here a whole week.  I dropped him off at Phoenix airport on Saturday.  I stayed the weekend visiting with DD and the 2 grand-daughters!!  PokemanGo is very time-consuming, LOL!!

I have NOT run since the race. I'm going to try 2-3 miles this week, every other day, working up to 8 miles for my upcoming trail race.  I want to run the trail race on Oct. 15 but I will be running the 10k instead of the 24k. The trail is technical enough so that is the happy part. 

Will post when I can.

Sorry for not replying to personals but I quickly scanned it and saw that Sim is gone?!?  That is so sad, NH.  So sorry.  Our Odie has been gone 2 yrs this month.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/27... 8 mile mtn bike ride today.

Wednesday, 9/28... 7 mile railtrail tryke ride this morning.   Soft conditions, good workout...

Art... I'm making 2 pies tomorrow, Apple and Pumpkin.   Making a consistent apple pie was one of the toughest things for me to figure out.   Finally ended up partially cooking the apples before putting the pie together, now I get at least some consistency...lol   I'm using a New England Pie Pumpkin out of the garden for the other pie, they're supposed to be better than the commercial canned stuff.    I've never gone backwards climbing a hill with the tryke, I just get off before that happens and start walking...lol

Dan... Acorn squash is the best, that and Butternut are my favorites.   The squash I planted this spring as part of the 3 Sisters didn't do too well.    The Zucchini was ok, but the Summer just never got going.    Too much shade from the corn and pole beans I think, live and learn...lol

az... sounds like that 10K was a tough course on a tough day!    I get the impression you might be a little bull headed...lol  How else do you get through these races running injured...lol    And yes, Sim is gone.   It's tough losing a friend, both 2 and 4 legged ones, isn't it?   Sad day.   Busy schedule for you, hang in there with that sore leg!

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/29... 4 miles on the railtrail today.   Nordic walked the first mile, tucked the walking sticks under my arm and jogged the second, back to the sticks and walking for the third and jogged the fourth.   Nothing to get excited about, but better than nothing... lol

Art in AZ

3 miles Wednesday morning before work. Not too concerned as this is an easy week before the 15K Sunday. Though it does feel funny this short distance.

Another 3 mile run this morning before work. It was cloudy and humid and I got the run in between the light drizzle that was falling. Weather for Sunday looks clear with morning temps in the lower 70s. Have to wait and see if that holds.

AZ - Well it looks like you were busy on your trip down to AZ. Nice race report. One question, how can you lose your shoe twice? If you lost it the first time, how did you lose it again?  Well at least I hope the last water crossings you were able to "wash " your shoes some. Sometimes the small events feel more like friends then a big event.

Rich - How did the pies turn out? Doing the walk and jog routine is a good way to ease back and not aggravate the injuries too much.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  Nice biking and running.  The weather is cooler there now? Good luck on the 15 Km.

NH Runner Nice combo of Nordic and running. Did you see that a new McGyver series is starting on TV?  Maybe you could get some more ideas...LOL.. Apple and pumpkin pies would be tasty. I made chocolate oatmeal squares.

justrundan It sounds fairly chilly at your place already.

az2mntrail Congratulations on your gruelling trail race! I always like getting a T shirt. Small races are nice to go to. Maybe it is tissue,like they said in C. Springs,  like a ligament pull.  That would take a long time to get better. That next trail race isn't very far away. Nice travels for you.

3 miles Tues. and Wed.

7 miles today.  Raked more leaves.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

8 miles after breakfast

3 miles after lunch

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning under slightly humid weather. But it was real clear out. The last storm really cleaned the air.

Chantilly - Four days of running in a row. Way to get them in and yard work. Thankfully my yard work is done for a while. It did get cooler here for a while but then warmed back up. Supposed to get cooler again starting Monday. Meaning morning lows in the 60s and highs in the mid 80s. Which is really nice weather to get outside.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Happy Friday! Rainy days but it's cool and invigorating!  40s/50s mornings/evenings and low 60s lately but huge clouds are picturesque with the mountains .  Finally got in about a 4 miler run with the Trail Divas last evening.  We met at one of my favorite and most scenic trail, IMO, and it's about 8500 ft!! No problem w/ the altitude.  Rain showers on the drive but sun came out and it was incredible.  We took breaks taking photos!!  Injury area really appreciated the 'rest days' and it was okay the whole run.

Chantilly:  It's "only a 10k" that is coming up for me (Oct 15) but it will be a challenge and I'm really looking forward to it.  Not sure if I and my MN trail running buddy will run the trail race in Eau Claire, WI on Nov 5. She has been running ALOT and will probably run the 25k (not the 50k) but I might run the HM instead of the 25k..............decisions, decisions!

Art:  HAHA on the 'losing shoe twice' comment.  I had to dig up the shoe from the mud, rinsed what I could and off again.  The cool water felt great!!  good luck on the 15k ..........you'll be finished before you blink, I'm sure!!

NH:  pies, pies, pies!!  yummy!! You really need to have a bake sale, LOL!!  Glad to hear you're getting some good workouts with cross-training of bike and tryke.