50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2015 runs and workouts (Read 8 times)

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/27... no running today, finished the garden and covered it with hay for the winter..

Monday, 9/28... 4 mile easy run on the railtrail.   Another busy day, but managed to get this run in before the rain arrived...

Chantilly... you're running some nice mileage lately.   How any 24 hour races have you run?     That's a long time to be on your feet, do you take breaks or keep moving for the entire 24 hours?

Art... good luck in the 5K this weekend.    Your mileage has been real steady lately, you're more than ready...

Fletch... nice to see life's treating you well lately!     Congrats on your half marathon and good luck with your first full.     The experience is hard to explain, but you'll never regret it once you've run one.     I don't have a half planned for November, but may search one out if training continues to go well.    Nice to hear from you again!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/29... 8 miles this morning, 1st mile easy warm up on the railtrail, then 7 more on the road... 9:04, 8:49, 8:47, 8:44, 8:52, 8:52 and 8:54.     Serious rain coming at us from the South for the next day and a half, then it's "wait and see" for the tropical storm coming up the East coast.     We're about to get wet...

rmcj001

Chantilly - I'm not sure, but I think official notification comes via snail mail.  You can search the list of people who are in and I show up in those.  It is kind of cool, you can search by country, state, city, name, age and gender.  I guess I can start the serious training...  I still have a hard time imagining running serious distances on the track - at least on the TM you can watch TV (not that I do all that much) - hats off to you.

Rich - Some good runs there.  Form change seems to be going well.  I like night runs and hikes too!  Beats getting up early.

Art - Some consistent mileage you're getting in there!  Should work well with the upcoming 8K!  Think they work well with 5Ks and 10Ks. They feel a little worse then both if you work it just right  I think they also help you run the 5&10Ks better.  Good luck.

Fletch - Nice job on that first 1/2 Marathon!  I see sub 2 hours in the near future!

Friday, 9/25, Moonlight Run 5K - temps were still in 80's for race and with this race there is a pinch point right at the start, so lined up near the front with DS1.  When they said go, we lit out a fair clip, but DS1 just left me in the dust.  Tried to slowly work my way up while on the levees and while working along the trails running parallel to the airport.  Ground was a bit uneven and in the dark had to slow just a bit.  Hit the road and then joined up with the 10K runners.  Tried to keep the pace up and splits say mile 3 was faster then mile 2.  Hit the home stretch and tried to get a sprint in.  Watch said 3.2 miles in 21:55 - official time was 21:51.  33rd OA, 1st 50-59 men.  DS1 was 20th in 20:3x and 2nd AG.

Sat, 7.1 miles on TM - nuff said.

Sun, 10.3 miles around the neighborhood in an hour and half.

Mon, 7.4 miles at recovery pace.

Tue, 7.6 miles in under an hour - figure not doing enough speed work so tried to go a bit faster for whole run.

Ray

Art in AZ

Monday was a rest day because of work.

This morning I got in 3 miles before work. Ran a little quicker pace probably because my mind was telling me to hurry up so I wouldn't be late for my 8:00 appointment.

Plan is getting in 5 miles Wednesday and then 3 or 4 miles Thursday. Probably doing a walk on Friday. Looks to be a good day for running on Saturday.

Fletch - Nice to see you check in. Sounds like things are moving along fine for you. And congrats on the half and good luck on your full in Nov.

Chantilly - Didn't you do that race here earlier this year or last. I remember something like that you doing or thinking of doing.

Rich - Throw in as much mulch and such into that pile of dirt as you can. It'll turn into compost by spring next year.

Ray - Congrats on another successful race. I hear you on the speed work. Figure it's time to start doing more here also. Little less than 5 weeks before the Haunted Half.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Some nice runs for you.  Hope the garden is going to do well next spring.  Do you need the rain for your plants/trees to go into winter hydrated?

I try to follow a run/walk plan in the 24 hr. races for as long as I can, then walk. I rested under a tree for an hour in the hot sun in FL and sat down in the warming tent in Phx.  They serve meals and I sit down for them. Grilled cheese sandwiches on a barbeque are so good at 2 am! I have never stayed for the full 24 hrs. because of the weather or arthritis pain. I left at 6 am in Phx because it was 32F overnight.. I left MN after 7 hrs because of a rainstorm/cold. I left at 6 am in FL because of arthritis pain.I guess that's why I like the timed events, because if anything goes wrong, as long as one loop of the course is completed, you still are an official "finisher."

rmcj001 Congratulations on your 5Km!  and then some good runs following….

Running in a circle on the track is "mind over matter." I have 2000 songs on my iPod plus the people watching to keep me occupied. I sometimes listen to talk shows and running podcasts also.

Art in AZ  You have kept up good mileage throughout the hot summer. The Haunted Half should be fun.  Will you wear a costume?

Yes, I ran that race at New Years '13.  Want to go back sometime, but was disappointed at how cold/damp Phx was over the Christmas holidays.

yesterday: 2 hours of yard work.

Today: 12 miles on the track

Walked 1 mile.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Happy Wednesday.

Chantilly - nice runs, and x-training in the yard. RE: Ultras - I enjoy training with those guys, but as of now, I've no plans to run one myself. But then again, I never say never. When I started running two years ago, I said I had no interest in running a marathon.

Rich - you really are getting some speedy runs in. And yes, it looks like you are going to get wet...as are we here in NC. We're right on the edge of the 6-8 inches of rain area, according to the latest forecast. Not looking forward to that.

Art - from what I've read, it seems you are quite ready for your race this weekend. Have fun!

Ray - congrats on the AG win! Nice running.

Monday - rest day

Tuesday - 5.5 miles before school. 2.5 miles at the lunch break between classes. There's one other avid runner in the PTA program. Young lady about 26 years old. We ran together Tuesday. Not sure I can do that very often. She slowed down to stay with me, and I still was running faster than I usually do. We finished the 2.5 miles in just under 20 minutes (7:58 pace).

Today - intervals with the Freaky Fast group. 6 miles total.

Safe running!

Art in AZ

I got my 5 miles in this morning. Just ran and did nothing special. Well I ate my grapes I brought with. Weather a little cooler as the humidity dropped a couple more degrees.

Chantilly - Nice run today. I'm not sure on the costume. I have a blue pair of shorts and a bright yellow shirt. Maybe go as an old minion. I have a pair of suspenders somewhere but would need to get some goggles. I checked my mileage for Sept. and was surprised to see I totaled 140 miles. Most miles in a month this year and second highest ever I believe. Though a lot were very slow and easy miles because of the heat. But still, October will probably be close to the same as I try to better prepare for the Haunted Half.

I think that year you were here was on the low side of temps. It normally doesn't get that cold during the holidays.

Fletch - That's the trouble with running alone sometimes. You don't have someone to help push you or you them. During this mornings run I saw someone ahead of me about 100 yds. and I thought I could catch up to them before the corner, about a half mile away. My mind just took over and I speeded up. Almost did it. Was short about 25 feet. I expect the same thing to happen Saturday.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ