50 and over 5k and beyond

September runs and workouts (Read 13 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I forgot to mention that I had mowed most of my lawn before I attempted the 20 mile run last week and I'm sure that also contributed to my fatigue. Anyway, today was attempt #2 to complete it. I had done like an 11 mile run Friday, but rested Saturday and Sunday. This time I took my large 32 oz. water bottle filled with half sports drink and half spring water. Left about 11 AM, very sunny, temp about 78 degrees. At mile 7 starts the 500 ft uphill climb that ends at mile 16. Like last time I took a rest break in the cemetery at mile 8 for about 6 minutes. Overall I took about 5 rest breaks totaling  an estimated 18 minutes. Heat was making reflections of the sky off the hot dry asphalt pavement. At mile 13 my legs were tired, but I did not feel totally drained of energy like last time. So I was able to continue the planned run. My legs were getting sore and my pace did slacken, but I willed myself to finish the 20 mile course with just enough left to jog to my home. I immediately jumped in the pool to cool off, not as cold as last time and it felt good to stay for a few minutes washing off sweat and cooling. I came in, thermometer said 78, but it may have gotten hotter during the run. Made a fruit smoothie and drank cherry juice and seltzer as well. Time was 4 hours, 19 minutes and 7 seconds, a 12:54 pace. If I subtract the rest times it would be more like a 12 minute pace.  Remember that my marathon will be pretty flat and most likely much cooler, so I think I can run the extra 6 miles and do the whole thing at a faster pace, maybe like a 10 minute mile pace. Not fast enough to BQ, but still respectable. I feel more confident after successfully completing this course which defeated me last week! Now I can start to taper and heal the soreness of my legs.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

5 miles around the neighborhood again. Then did a little work in the yard and garden getting ready to do some touch up painting this weekend.

Altair - Nice job powering through to the end of your 20 mile run. What time does your race start? That should help some by being in the cooler morning temps before it starts heating up some.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

After recovering and analyzing the race I know now I clearly got way too dehydrated on Saturday.  They had 5 water stops, but locations were not ideal.  I didn't carry water and should have realized the necessity of that on a warm day.  Didn't urinate for 3-4 hours after the race despite drinking lots right afterward.   Felt dizzy and had to sit for a while also right afterward.  I know better, but didn't translate it into action.  Next time-but not on this course! 

Altair- that would be a tough back to back even if you had water with you!  Keep at it, you are putting in great mileage, just stay healthy.

Dan

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - the race starts at 8:15 am. Corning is about an hour south of where I live, but the weather should be similar. Last year at this time daytime temperatures were in the 60's. This whole week it has been in the mid 80's and it is expected to get near a record breaking 90 degrees by the weekend! This is due to a big northward swing of the jet stream here in the east which brings up the hot southern air. Nice to have a bit of extra summer and be able to enjoy the pool. I don't know if this trend will continue until October 1st. If so I may expect 60's at the race start, which may climb up into the 80's by the time I finish. However, typical weather may make for a chilly start in the low 40's or even in the 30's and then it may climb to the 60's or low 70's during my run. Plan to run in shorts and tee shirt. but may wear old sweatshirt before start if chilly.

Dan - I'm sure your dehydration effected your race performance. I do not like to have to carry anything extra during a race myself and a water bottle can be awkward. Maybe it is not good to stop at the first water station which may be crowded, but you will not lose much time by grabbing a cup, walking a few steps to drink and maybe throwing some on your head and back to cool off. Most of the water splashes to the ground if I try to drink while running. Looking at your map some more I see, besides the two major hills,  two very steep climbs of 75 to 100 feet at miles 6 1/4 and about 12 1/2. I would guess these to have been the toughest parts of your race. As for the toughness of back to back long runs, I have sometimes done like two consecutive 12 mile runs with no problems and I just did not realize my limitations, although I am sure the hills the heat and dehydration counted more against me than anything else.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 9/20... took yesterday off, managed 2 workouts today.   First up was a 6.25 mile road ride on the tryke, then onto the railtrail for a 6 mile ride on the mtn bike.

Altair5... congrats. on the 20 miler!   Sounds like a tough course, but a definite strength builder as well.    Now to rest and get ready for the main event...

Art... last week I put my vegetable garden away for the winter, worked fertilizer, compost and mulched leaves into the soil.   Lots to do to get ready for Winter around here, first up for me the other day was maintenance on the portable generator that'll keep us out of trouble if we lose power.    5 milers are good...

Dan... pre-race planning can be a challenge, proper fueling for longer races, what to eat the day before, to use Gels or not, etc.    For sure, being dehydrated effected your race performance, but the good news is you figured out what happened so it won't happen again.   That's a good thing...

Art in AZ

8.4 miles along the canal again. Saw a few more people out this time. Must be the nicer weather.

Altair - I guess 8:15 isn't too bad. That seems an odd time to start to me. Hopefully the jet stream will dip farther south after the weekend and bring you cooler temps. Our weather here this weekend will be dropping 10 - 15 degrees before warming back up. So I expect some nice running temps.

Rich - Nice dual bike ride. Funny that you have ended your garden and I'm getting mine going. I hope to get some seeds started this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Was reading the Boston 2018 list and people complaining about the registration process.  Got me to thinking about what is fair or not fair and started checking a few things out.  Ran across an article that had a pointer to a research paper (yeah, getting immersed on tangent ideas has been a problem) and found this gem:

"most experts believe that distance runners cannot approach their true potential unless they are consistently running at least 100 km/wk (Berg, 2003; Noakes, 2001)."

I guess there's hope for me still... or, not...

Dan - Congrats on the race finish. Knowing when to drink and such is always a problem and it isn't just on race day you have to worry about. Last 1/2 for me only had a small cup of coke at 9 or 10 miles and I wasn't too bad.  But, I made sure to drink up beginning several days before the race.  File it away and learn from the experience.

Altair - The conditions for your long run sound pretty warm.  You did well to complete it.  Enjoy your taper.

Art -  A couple of good runs. Weather is finally cool enough for the plants...gotta love it.  DW planted tomatoes and the squirrels (or something else possibly) ate most of them before they were ready - haven't gotten a single tomato from her plantings.  The squirrels did spread the seeds and we've gotten a couple of tomatoes from the "volunteers" where the dogs can protect them 

Rich - Gotta make sure both bikes are in good working order? Sounds like a good excuse.  Be careful on those longer runs, don't want no setbacks.

Streak is at 20 days and 145 miles.  Signed up for Moonlight Run in two weeks, 33 of 33 - guess that's another streak...

Ray

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/21... 6 mile trail run for me today.   Late enough into the morning that the humidity had me soaked with sweat before I was done, pushing the last couple of miles made for a good workout.

Art... with the waning daylight, the vegetable garden was done producing.   Green tomatoes and stunted cucumbers were all that was left when I removed the last of the plants.    Good luck with your fresh plantings.   That 8.4 miler on the canal seems to be a favorite of yours, that's a nice distance.

Ray... seems like you're running right in that range of 100 km per week, so you're making the most of your training already, eh?.   What percentage of your miles would you describe as speed work, if any?    Seems like you shy away from specific speed work, relying on fast finishes as a way to get in the quicker stuff.   My heel injury's been trying to rear it's ugly head the last couple of days and that last 10 miler is probably why, the tight calf pulling on that leg's Achilles.   The bike's a good antidote for the inflammation that follows and why I rode it yesterday, every day's an adventure lately...lol

NH Runner

Friday, 8/22... 17 mile mtn bike trail ride this morning...

Art in AZ

Another 5 mile run in the neighborhood. Had breakfast and then got a little painting done to some of the garden beds while still nice out and the sections were in the shade. I will be doing this for the next couple of days.

Ray - I'm guessing when they say distance runners they are talking marathon and longer. Being they figure 62 miles a week. Though running more did help me get better last year. Or I was just lucky.  Don't you just love it when the critters help themselves to your food. Here it was the birds that attacked my tomato plants. Finally getting disgusted that I wasn't able to have any tomatoes I broke down and put some netting over the plants. That showed them. Nice streak. Practicing for the Thanksgiving to New Year one?

Rich - The point of diminishing return on the garden. Hoping for those last few items. 17 mile bike ride is good way to exercise and give the legs some rest.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Rich - Nice ride today!  I wish I was near 100k/week!   I would say that 100K would to be consistently doing 60-65 miles/week. That's 3000 miles a year...Maybe some day...

Art - Gotta love the hungry wildlife!  Nice 5 miler.  I think most people consider 5K and above long distance and I don't think the training strategy are that much different between the elite racers. My BIL consistently ran 90-100 miles/week and was mostly doing 10 and 12K races. When he went to marathon training think he bumped it by 10 miles/week.

7.6 miles last night on TM.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/23... 5 mile road run today through the local covered bridge.   I'd thought about running the hill just beyond the bridge before turning back, but passed on legs that were a little achy from yesterday's bike ride.   On the plus side, today's splits were 20 seconds quicker than previous runs at the same effort, so I'm gaining.    We're in a weather merry-go-round lately, this morning I waited for the temp to hit 50 degrees before running, tomorrow we're forecast to hit 90 and humid...

Art... nice to get painting projects out of the way, painting ranks right up there in my 'least favorite things to do' list...lol   And yeah, that longer bike ride yesterday was a refreshing change...

ray... seems like most of your runs are in the plus or minus 8 mile range, so I just assumed with a weekly long run thrown in, you'd be running 60+ miles a week.   Funny how some people can't handle 50 miles a week without getting injured, while others can run twice that distance and still be going strong...lol   At any rate, you're doing pretty well at your current mileage...

Hello everyone!

I left MN on Thurs, Sept 14. Had a list of trail races I wanted to run in, depending on where I was on Sat or Sun. Made it to southern CO on Sat. afternoon, Sept 16.  And decide to run this:  http://www.clubamericawmv.org/marathon.html

Hermits Pass Trail race; Westcliffe, CO - Sept 17th.

My first time in this small town of CO, spectacular views on the drive from Pueblo, CO.  Made it in time for packet pick up/registration for the race the next day. Will run the half marathon trail race. Very small race, not much publicity. Stayed in local campground. Next morning, the mountains are covered in thick dark clouds, but around nice cool 45 degrees by the time I got to the race location.  The FM left at 7:30.

The HM is a small group as well, less than 12?  We start at 9 am. Wore a short-sleeved tech shirt under a long-sleeved tech shirt in case it gets too warm, pinned the bib number on my capris, wore a buff/sunglasses, and a small waist packet to carry my 8 oz soft flask water.  Stuffed some salt tabs, my GoPro and phone (to take photos) in sides of capris pockets.  Aid stations are about 2-3 miles in between, I should be okay, feel good about the race.  The start is around 8,000 ft.  The first 3 miles are on gravel/dirt road, gradual incline. 2 male runners are ahead, next is a younger female runner, then another male runner, then its me along w/ another older female runner.  My garmin strap broke a week ago so I don't have a watch.  She tells me that our first mile is around 10:15, sounds good. First A.S. at base of mountain, I drank Gatorade and take some pretzels. Then it's up, up, up, very rocky from here. You can click on the elevation profile on the race website.  Occasional vehicles throughout the day w/ hikers, campers. I keep the younger female and male runner within sight. He is walking most of the incline.  I power hike/jog, pass him and stay within sight of the female runner. It's all road to the summit where it's the turnaround for the full marathoners but it's mostly one lane and rocky. A few yards of dirt road and I run those, with some puddles from last night's rain.

I'm by myself for most of the way but keep the female runner in sight.  Finally the turnaround for us at 6.5 miles, just over 10,000 ft.

The two volunteers are awesome and cheerful!!  The female runner doesn't stop.  I have to blow my nose, drank some Gatorade, and take more pretzels, took a couple of photos.  Then it's all downhill.  Kept a steady control pace. Around 8 miles, dark clouds and some rain sprinkles.  Should have taken my cap. Oh well. Then I hear thunder/lightening in the east, not close to us but still pretty loud.  I'm wondering about the full marathoners, tough runners!  Around 10 miles, it's a light shower, wind picks up and temp goes down.  Glad I'm wearing a long-sleeved.  Finally, out of the mountains and back on the last 3 miles of the gravel/dirt road.  Feels endless.  Can see the female runner waaaay ahead, another runner behind me but not sure if it's another HM runner or one of the 8 miler runners who started after our group. Thunder/lightening in the east, snow flurries in the mountains.  I'm hauling with the sideway wind which kinda pushes me, feels good. Made it to the finish.  Someone mentions that my finish time is 2:39.

I know I'm 2nd female, 4th overall, 1st in AG.  They served pizza, salad, soda, wine, beer post-race.  Most of the 8 milers are coming inThen the first full marathoner!! WOW!!  I went back to campground, showered and left for NM.  Most of that drive was on and off heavy rain all the way to Albq, NM where I stayed w/ DS/DIL.  Felt great the next day(Mon Sept 18), no major aches/soreness, YAY!!  Made it to northern NM, visited family and stayed w/ a dear friend.  Finally met up with DH this past Tues (he had left MN a day ahead of me and has been in AZ for a few days).  The movers arrived at our new home Tues morning.  Been organizing the new house since then, this is the facility where DH will be working. Then at our other home on weekends.

Took rest days since CO race.  Knees/calves were happy about that.

Yesterday, 5 miler on the mountain trail even tho' it was pretty windy here but nice around 60 degrees.  Felt wonderful

No races for Oct.......yet.  Am searching around.

Nov. 5th - Moab HM trail race, Moab UT

Nov. 18th - Monument Valley trail marathon, UT

Chantilly:  yes, I saw the Duke City race event.  I ran that some years ago.  You're thinking of the FM?  Hmmmm, I might be go for the HM, it's all on pavement, ouch!!  What about the Las Cruces event? So many choices .....but you're retired, time is on your side so to speak.

NH:  hey, you're getting some miles in, yippee!!

Dan:  sorry the finish time wasn't to your satisfaction but you did well and conquered those hills!  Even experienced runners go blank on the hydration especially on warmer days. We learn something with each race, right?

Art:  DH was in Phoenix area yesterday and said it was 'cooler' than usual ........meaning it was in the 90s, LOL!!  But every degree 'cooler' makes for a nicer run.

Altair:  I can't imagine going for a 20 miler without some hydration. Glad you took some hydration w/ you the last time. I sweat ALOT and salt tabs are my go-to for hot/warm run days, one tab each hour for me does the job.  Walk breaks are under-rated IMO as I have mentioned many times.  What's the saying?  "A few seconds lost in the beginning is better than minutes lost in the end."  I still incorporate walk-breaks which keeps the fatigue/stress at bay during a run, and I tend to have stronger finishes.

Ray:  I'm recovering slowly from this darn injury and slowly, getting more longer distances in. I prefer dirt trail running, road races just don't appeal to me as much but I run one now and then. In fact, I won a raffle for the "Thelma and Louise Half Marathon" on June 2, 2018!! WOOHOO!! Anyway, I may be 'slow' but I can run longer and I'm excited to get back to running ultras.  You're getting some awesome miles in, and you're definitely running some great races! Nice streak there, WTG!!

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/24... out early to beat the heat for an EZ mtn bike trail ride this morning.   Just 7 miles, but the bike's turning out to be a great way to rest running muscles and help with recovery.

az... congrats on the half marathon, starting at 8,000 feet and climbing to 10,000 at the turn around is pretty amazing for someone still recovering from an injury, you did great!    And yeah, I'm logging miles again.   Not what I'd like, but it's a start...lol    Couldn't help but notice your comment to Ray about recovering slowly from your injury.   Being similar to what I'm going through, dealing with hamstring trigger points that keep cropping up, here's a good read on the subject... http://www.triggerpointtherapist.com/blog/hamstring-pain/the-hamstring-trigger-points-hiding-plain-sight/  Notice where the writer talks about ill fitting chairs, sitting with crossed legs, etc.   Very helpful...