50 and over 5k and beyond

November 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 10 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 5/20... 2 mile walk with Sim

Saturday, 5/21... headed down the railtrail for an intended 6 mile run, but my right knee was a little sore and not getting better, so I turned back after a mile for 2 miles total.

Sunday, 5/22... 6 mile railtrail run today.   Knee is still sore, but wore minimalist Altra shoes to see if they'd make a difference and they helped.     Splits were 9:35, 8:53, 8:32, 8:48, 8:51 and 8:22.    Knee might be bothering due to carrying furniture up some stairs Saturday, hopefully that's all it is.

Dan...time to make friends with the treadmill, eh?   Reason enough to hate winter in my book...lol

az... nice week of training!   Our weather was nice today, but forecast to e only in the 20's tomorrow...

Art in AZ

A quick hi to everyone and congratulations on those that ran races. I'll have to catch up later.

Been busy with a couple of projects for work. One is in Holbrook which includes a 3 hour drive to the site. Got in to the higher elevations and saw snow. And the temps were in the upper 20s and lower 30s. Brrr. Not much running but hope to get some more in over the next few days before I head back to Holbrook.

3 quick miles this morning.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Hey everybody!  Rest days on Sun and Mon.  Cold here in northern MN over the weekend but had a couple of sunny days!  Tempted me to head outdoors today.  Drove to state park.  About 33 degrees, 10 mph wind, feels like 25.  NICE!!  No one around, had the paved trail to myself.  Some icy spots but stayed on snow for traction.  Finished 10.3 miles, YAY!!  Rest of week predicted to get colder and more snow.

NH:  awesome split times there!! Maybe I need to consider some Altra shoes!

Art:  you driving to Holbrook from the Valley for work?!? Long haul. Safe travels. Good time management on getting your miles in!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/25... took the last 2 days off, ran 4 miles on the railtrail today... 10:13, 8:53, 8:45 and 8:33.     Felt pretty good, but have decided to pass on tomorrow's turkey trot.    I'll run tomorrow, but later in the day, after spending time with family.    I'm the "Pie Guy" when it comes to Thanksgiving, so there's an apple pie and chocolate cream in the fridge waiting to go to my daughter's place in the morning.

Art... you sound like a busy guy lately, good luck getting your runs in and dealing with the 3 hours drives...

az... nice 10.3!   The Altras I run in are zero drop shoes that are really nothing more than expensive slippers.    After the 6 miler the other day, my left heel wasn't happy at all.    My other shoes all have a slight heel elevation and the zero drop pulled on my Achilles just enough to let me know I need to be careful with the Altras.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rich: takes awhile for calves/achilles to get use to zero heel drop.  My montrail is 4mm heel drop and it worked great for both road and non-technical runs/races until I got 'newer' ones, calves were screaming for help within a week! ouch!! So I switched back but also wear other road shoes. I stay with Brooks Cascadia for trail running, a bit on the heavy side but awesome in durability and grip.  You have the best 'job' for holidays!!

A dreary day today.  Drove to gym to get a recovery run in.  Started with 15 min on elliptical.  1 mile on track for warm-up, then 4.3 miles at race effort pace on TM on X-country program, 1 mile on track with a few drills thrown in = 6.3 miles total, WHEW!!  Not even close to a "recovery run!?!"  But leg muscles were up to some speed training.  Finished with 15 min weights.

Safe Travels to anyone who is traveling Smile

Fletch

Quick drop-in to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I've been sorta taking it easy after the marathon. Dealing with a little bit of pain on the top of my left foot. Better now, though. Doing mostly short, 5 milers. Ran Sunday (5 miles), then Wednesday with the gang for speed work (6 miles). Got out this morning for 5 miles.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

Safe running.

Fletch

NH Runner

Ran 4 milers on both Thanksgiving & Friday, pace both days was mid to high 8:00's, low 9:00's.

Friday, 11/27... 6 mile road run today.   Temp hit 60 degrees and there was no way I was going to miss one last chance to run in shorts and a T before the deep freeze arrives.     After a short warm up and with a helping wind going out... 8:29, 8:17 and 8:04.   Then turned back and ran 8:27 and 8:25 before leaving the road to cool off and get out of the wind and ran 9:47 for 6 miles total.

az... isn't it amazing how even the slightest variation from the norm can upset our calves and Achilles?    4 mm drop is a little more than 1/8 of an inch, but even that is more than my Achilles wanted to deal with...lol   You were smart to listen when your calves were telling you they didn't like the new shoes, experience is a good teacher, eh? lol   Excellent workout the other day!

Fletch... sounds like you're doing just fine after your first marathon, those 5 milers are a good way to ease back into running again.

Art in AZ

3 miles with a late morning run. Weather was good for running with clear sunny cool skies. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We now have about a month before the next big family bash takes place. Off to do some more work prep for next week.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

I came down with a bad cold, starting Wed PM and peaked Friday/Saturday.  Still very fatigued today, but went out and walked 3 miles  just to get some fresh air.  Should be recovered enough to be able to get to the clinic tomorrow.  Very busy week, but looking forward to the weekend.

My older brother and I are going to meet up just outside of Kansas City Kansas Friday, have some KC barbecue, then go to a KU basketball game Saturday afternoon. We were born in Kansas and he graduated HS there.  It's on his bucket list so I got tickets several months ago.  Should be fun!

You are are doing well.  I'm hoping to maintain and not drop too much fitness over the winter, but motivation is lagging.  I'll work on that.

Dan

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/29... took yesterday off, ran 6 on the railtrail today.    Temp was 32 with a breeze, but the sun was out and made for a beautiful day...10:13, 9:13, 8:49, 9:16, 9:12 and 8:56.     Only other people out were a young couple walking their 2 dogs.

art... Thanks!   I had a great Thanksgiving!    Hang in there with the schedule...

Dan... good luck getting past this cold and enjoy time spent with your brother.

rmcj001

Wow, where did this month go?

Only got in 13.1 miles last week.  Only 3 days of running with max of 5 miles in a session. Oh, well. Turkey trot did a 5K and finished 7th OA.

8.5 miles today on TM to finish month with 179 miles.  Need 76 more miles to get to 2000 for the year.

Rich - good to see you're still at it.  Nice 6 miler.

Dan - Stay as active as you can.  Looks like most of my running is on TM these days - just don't feel safe running outside at night.

Fletch - Sounds like you're doing things sensibly. Keep it going!

Az - Some good mileage weeks there.  Don't stop!

Art - I hate it when work gets in the way.  Good that you were able to get some runs in.

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 11/30... easy 3 miler on the railtrail today.    Stopped and talked with Bob Teschek mid-run, he was out for his last run in NH before heading for Alabama to spend the winter.    Bob owns a popular race timing company up here and times a bunch of races, was a long time HS track coach and race director of the Mount Washington road race, among others, and was instrumental in turning that race into a world class event.

Getting on in years himself, he was telling me a lot of older runners he knows are running less miles and concentrating on quality rather than quantity.    Makes sense to me...lol

Ray... heckuva year you've got going, really well done!

Hi everyone!  Just a quick check in.  Survived the severe snowstorm through SD and Nebraska!! SCARY!!  I am in Phoenix now.  25k Trail is tomorrow. DH is flying in tonight so gotta pick him up.  DB is driving in tonight too.  Next Saturday is my Trail Marathon in Monument Valley.  DH and I will spend the weekend.  Another couple will be meeting us there.  Not runners.  The husband is a photographer.

Dan:  bummer! hope you get well soon. take a holiday vacation till 2016!  You work too much, LOL!!