50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts, w/e 7/28/13 (Read 7 times)

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Good luck on your 5 Km.

Art in AZ  I have run up to Rustlers' Rooste and back down a few times on holiday. Those little mountains around town give quite a workout.

adkkev nice that you got a break in the humidity.

NH Runner  The google site I found never said anything about it staining clothing.  Good thing you figured out a treatment.

11 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Today turned into an unintentional rest day. Got up, then laid back down for a minute, woke up 2 hours later and it was past 8:30. Yikes. Guess I was still tired.

Chantilly - I haven't been to the Rustler's Rooste for ages. Yes, our little mountains can be quite the workout. I wish I had some close by me so I wouldn't have to drive to them. Come to think of it there are a couple a couple of miles from where my bike route goes. Maybe I could bike there, run the little mountain and then bike home. Hmmm. Looks like I have another bike ride scheduled for this weekend. Thanks for the nudge.

Rich - When I get T-shirts like that they become garage rags for when I work on the car.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

It was so nice this evening I decided to go out for another easy run ... 4.5 miles around town.  Wish this weather would stick around ... sadly the weatherman says it's not gonna.  Humidity returns Sunday.

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Had to walk a couple of times. No breeze, humidity felt thick, was soaked in a couple of minutes of running. Rain clouds building up in the area not helping.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

6 morning miles earlier today ... another beautiful morning for a run.

NH Runner

Friday, 7/26

6 mile run on the railtrail, temp was 60 with a slight mist the whole way.   I think women in the area associate rainy conditions with privacy, I met 3 women on today's 3 mile out & back and normally don't see anyone.

Art... the shirts I sprayed with Hawaiian Tropic were practically new, so I wanted to remove the stains if I could.  Besides, I hate to miss a chance to pick on someone if the opportunity's there... Wink

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Rustlers Rooste used to be very good in the 80's to 90's, then it became a hit and miss type of restaurant.  We still went there for the view, but 3 years ago, we decided not to go back.  When my son was young, he liked the slide.

NH Runner I wouldn't be comfortable out on a trail run for 6 miles by myself.  At least running on the sidewalk, I could run up to a house or store if some bad guy happened by.

3 miles run, then 2 hours of yard work..mowing, raking, weeding and trimming rose bushes.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

2nd session Wed night - 3 miles 23:02 on treadmille.  Slogged 8.3 yesterday @9:10/mi.  Today slightly faster 8.4 @ 8:51/mi.

Good to hear that weather is better every where else (well, except for Art...Cry).  Been about 85F when I run here...

Ray

Art in AZ

OK. So I decided to see what kind of course I would have if I wanted to get a little mountain added to a run. Rode the bicycle to where I would start. That was 9 miles. Then I rode the part where the mountain was. Say 6 miles and then 9 miles back home. So the total ride was 24 miles and I did it in about 2 hours. So a good workout at a time for running a half. Total elevation change was 550 feet, most of it on the mountain.

Getting to the top was a workout but I sure was glad for the downhill part. When the weather gets cooler I'll think about biking there and then running the mountain.

Ray - The weather this morning was nicer compared to yesterday. Weather is expected to be a little drier but that also means the temps go up a little.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/27

7 miles on the highway today.   Today's run was more comfortable in that I wasn't stiff and sore the whole way.   I've been reading the Vibram 5 Fingers web site and they say it takes "months" to transition from regular running shoes to barefoot, your calf muscles and achilles take a while to adjust to their new load.   I wasn't a 100% today, but feel like I'm gaining.

Nice runs everyone.  Art, that 24 mile bike ride would get my attention, nice going!

Chantilly... I remember one time meeting another runner on the railtrail.   It was funny and sad at the same time, a woman trying her best to look like a man while she ran.  She was doing ok 'til I said "hi" and she answered me.  I kind'a did a double take but kept on running, she had a pretty good disguise going...lol

And yeah, I've seen some pretty creepy looking individuals on that trail and I'd be VERY uncomfortable if I were a woman running alone...

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Your paces are nice for 85F.

Art in AZ that was quite a bike ride.

NH Runner I don't understand why a long transition would be necessary from VFF's to barefoot.  I thought they were like barefoot, only protecting the feet from hard ground, stones, etc.

6 miles at 5:30 AM.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

art - that's a good ride.  Sounds like it will be a good run when you add that part in too.

chantilly - getting out early.  Makes it easier to beat the heat.

Rich - Definitely took me awhile to adjust, but that could also have been my body aging.  I don't think I would be able to run at all w/o the change.  Right knee just couldn't/can't handle it with any kind of heal strike.  Hips and back used to get really sore too.  Back in college, when I ran B2B for first time, I remember my calves being so sore and that was when I was trying to transition to a heal strike...

7 mile progressive run, first mile 9:07 last mile 7:42, temps just under 70F and course is very flat (near home).  Wasn't trying to go quite that fast, but mid mile 5 there was a mid-forties runner that was working hard, so caught up to him and then sped up a bit more.  His form looked pretty good, but he still has about 20lbs to lose.  Actually felt better on those 2 miles then the previous 4, tho last mile felt like I was working.

Ray

adkkev

Easy 5.1 miles this evening before heading in to watch Dexter.

Chantilly75

2 miles

Sonata Arctica