50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2016 runs and such (Read 8 times)

Happy Thursday!   Yesterday, felt a need to run some 'hills' .......short, gradual ones in state park ........better than nothing.  Some cloud cover which had a nice semi-cool breeze in the shade of the trees although it was quite muggy.  Have to run paved trail to get to dirt/grassy trails.  Quite a few campers in the park, lots of casual bikers and few walkers.  Took 30 sec walk break after each mile from beginning.  Was actually pretty hydrated I guess with only a couple of sips of water from hand-held. Finished 6.5 miles, yay!!  Back of knee begin to swell after 4 miles so took 1 min walk break with some slow stretches. It helps.  Once I got home, iced/elevated.  A bit 'achy' this morning but no soreness.  Might go to gym for workout, mainly weights, will take it easy on the legs.  Think I might be exacerbating the injury area with one too many gung-ho side lunges in combination with the pitiful 'intervals' despite the short distances.   Oh well, trial and error can be sketchy when it comes to injury recovery.  I'm just happy I can still bend the knee. 

Dan:  You need to take off for LONG trips more often.  Same weather conditions here as it is there.  It's amazing how much difference 10-20% less humidity makes!  Sounds like you're keeping up with some decent mileage and walking when you can.

Art:  I think you're ready for a HM.  Run some hills on the desert mountains and you're set to go!!  Aravaipa group has group training runs at different trails, look them up & check it out at www.meetup.com   I love exploring new trails which is part of the fun for me when I find trail races in various places.  It should be a gorgeous time to cool off in Utah, go for it!!  DH is loving it in Flag

DH:  Glad the heel is feeling okay on your runs.  Any changes in your shoes? Need more cushion?  Always tough to figure out the small aches/pains before they become large persistent ones.  Any upcoming race you want to run?

Chantilly:  You are stepping up the miles!! WTG!! Roswell is a few weeks away.  Is this part of the marathon maniacs? Didn't you mentioned that you were running another one in mid-Sept closer to home? Hope your travel plans work out. 

Ray:  hope all is well and you're safely away from the fires.

Chantilly75

justrundan It was good of you to be able to get in the 6.5 miles with all the travel.

NH Runner  Nice 7 mile run for you. I am content nowadays to "finish" and "participate" instead of worrying about a time goal. So that 13 miles was broken up with a washroom trip and a 2 minute walking break.

Art in AZ 7 miles in that heat would be hard. At least it should be cooler for Hallowe'en. Have you gone on a bagel run lately?

az2mntrail Did you ever get massage for that area? Why does it swell up?

7 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly:  with this heat, walk breaks are necessary sometimes.  yeah, I'm like you about 'races,' keeping in mind that it's suppose to be 'FUN.' I'm a middle of the pack runner and it's a surprise to me when I do well that I place but it's not the most important thing.  Each race, I hope to finish upright and not get injured, or experience a face plant.   I'm totally amazed with 60+, 70+ yr olds, male/females, blazing right by me on the mountain trails!! WOW!!  But I'm grinning ear to ear though I really love being out on the mountain trails, totally a zen space for me.

You know, I've noticed that running on flat pavement/dirt causes injury area (calf area) to act up more.  Yesterday's run, I have to run on flat paved trail for about 2 miles before getting to dirt/grassy trails.  The calf area (tissues/muscles) pull on the back of the knee and it begins to swell (inflammation) and it's just on back of knee.  I'm unable to do a butt kick.  So I'll walk and do the stretch from NH's video he sent plus I added some easy slow squats which feels great!!  It's on and off during a run but it seems to occur less when I'm running hills or on uneven terrain.  Left leg/knee/calf is fine.  Weird! I've been doing the exercise that NH sent a video of to stretch hamstrings.  Haven't noticed any difference but I'm sure it's helping 'somewhere' since it's all connected.  Not sure if my knee support adds to the discomfort but I have to wear it for stability.  Tried running without it, does NOT help.  Tried different brands, no luck.  Last massage was mid-June when I was still in AZ.  Not happy with any of the MTs around here. I'm thinking of contacting the PT again and maybe get acupuncture treatmt on back of knee?

NH Runner

Thursday, 7/28... tryke day today, 9 miles on the railtrail.    D.D. and Son-in-law have been after me to play a round of golf with 'em, so I went out and played 9 today alone to see how bad I am and it's bad...lol   I used to play a lot, but haven't touched a club in a few years.    The only good thing was I walked the course and carried the bag, so it wasn't a complete waste of time...lol

Art... I think the heat is giving you a false sense of your fitness level, in normal weather I bet you'd be fine.    7 hot sweaty miles doesn't sound like much fun though, hang in there.

Dan... it's tough being a young sprout, but you're gaining...lol    I stay pretty busy being retired, but for the most part, it's things I want to do.   Big difference.    Good luck with the new shoes.

az... I'm running in the Altras lately.  They're zero drop, but I'm keeping my feet under me where they belong when I run, so far, so good.    Hate to hear it about your knee, it's crazy how it swells from running.    In a nutshell, my chronically tight hamstring was pulling on my knee and my hip, making both sore.    The stretches I showed you finally loosened things up, but I still have to be diligent with the stretches or it'll revert back to its old ways.   I'm guessing it's muscle memory, but don't know that for sure.     It SEEMS like you've got something more going on and you're hanging tough, but don't wait too long to see a pro.    Being tough can be a detriment sometimes az...

Chantilly... I guess I don't worry so much about a time goal in a race, but do want to run up to my potential.    And I love the races that occur within a race, it seems like no matter what your pace is, there's always someone running at about the same clip.    You might be 5 minutes behind the leaders, but you're side by side going at it to see who's going to come out on top...lol   I can't guess how many times that's happened to me.    And oh gosh, a 2 minute break during your 13 miler?   That changes everything...lol

Art in AZ

3 quick miles this morning under cloudy skies with a little exercise before the run.

Dan - Running in new shoes feel good. I definitely carry water on my runs of 7 miles or more. There are no water stations on those routes. The 3 - 4 mile runs I can do without. I pass a drinking fountain on the 5 or 6 mile route. In the current weather I take my 2 bottle Nathan belt and freeze the water. Usually takes between 30 - 45 minutes before the ice is melted. And sometimes I can get water from the sprinklers watering grass. Just depends on the day and time.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

YAY, made it to the gym!! Started w/ 15 min on stationary bike, then 45 min weights taking care not to work the knee too much, then finished with another 15 min on bike.  Felt great and proud I got my butt to the gym

NH:  yeah, I hear you on 'being consistent' ......I force myself to do the exercise from the video you shared at least once/day.  It does feel really good when bending over, keeping back parallel w/ floor and touching your ankle, not the floor, when I stretch on walk breaks. Thanks for the reminder that 'staying tough' isn't  always the best/smart approach, I think we know that but do the opposite. I agree that there has to be something else going on. Ortho doc just can't pinpoint it either.  I'm thinking an MRI is in order.  Nice mileage on the tryke!! What has been your longest distance on the tryke so far? I prefer putt-putt, LOL!! I like Altras as 'walking shoes' (so comfortable) but the zero drop to run is a bit much for me.  I like 4-8mm drop.

Art:  you know all about running in the heat and I know you are smart about hydration .......it's amazing how much you tolerate the temps but it's all relative. When frozen water bottles are thawed out during/after your runs, it's definitely a heat wave. WTG!! I like short miles.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Too bad you can't find an MT in MN. Maybe some acupuncture will help. I just don't think it should be swelling up?

NH Runner The only time I see the leaders in a race is if we are on an "out and back" course....they are going back and I am going out. 

Art in AZ  Is the Nathan belt very heavy or hot? Do you still do stairs at the stadium?

10 miles in 73F and sunny. Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 7/29... 5 mile road run through the local covered bridge today.   I'm going to try working a few more runs into my schedule to get my mileage up, 2 runs a week really isn't enough.    The bike's going to get a rest for a while as I try to ramp up.

Art... you're maintaining pretty well, good for you.    The humidity was up during my run today, at 87%.   Talk about sweating...lol

az... hey, nice workout at the gym!   You'll get this knee thing figured out, just tell me to shut up... lol

Chantilly... nice run today!   This link... http://www.nerunner.com/ME2/Default.asp is for "New England Runner" magazine.    The picture on the right is of 2 women racing stride for stride at the end of a 5K.    They're not leading, but their expressions tell it all, they're racing!  lol   The "race within a race" I was talking about.    And yeah, I'm in the same boat, unless it's an out and back, I never see the race leaders...lol

Art in AZ

6 hot, sweaty miles this morning. Temps in the low 90s and dew point was 66 degrees. So that makes the "misery index" about 156. I'll call that in the "miserable zone". It was an early morning run so I was able to catch a little more shade. Weather people still predicting rain and cooler temps (closer to 102 for the high instead of the 111 we have right now). Maybe I'll get rained on during a morning run Sunday.

AZ - The heat sure plays with our motivation. I dread it until I get out. Feel fine and then start thinking if it's too soon to turn back.  And in this weather there is no after with the frozen water bottles.

Chantilly - Nice 10 miles. I'm shooting for that or more this Sunday during the hopefully "cooler" weather. The Nathan belt I have is not heavy even with the two water bottles. It does get soaked in this weather as it catches the sweat going down. So it absorbs a lot and that keeps my running shorts dryer a little longer. Funny you mentioned the stadium stairs. They are on the plan for tomorrow. Though only one set.

Rich - When you check the humidity next time check and see what the dew point is also. Just curious. I don't think adding another running day to the week would hurt.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Here's a chart that I found in another thread. They also talked about the affect humidity and direct sunlight have on you. Let's just say the higher the temp and dew point, the worse you feel running.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning and the bleachers. Hot, humid and overcast. Had a little rain last night. Just enough to get the dirt wet in the garden but not enough to really do much good. The dirt was still dry about an inch down. Thought of riding bike to get some bagels but don't want to tire myself for tomorrow's run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/30... 9 miles on the tryke this morning.    The railtrail's good that it's in the shade, but it's a haven for deer flies lately.    And speaking of deer, the last time I rode the tryke, I had a doe stand and watch me as I got closer and closer, her curiosity getting the best of her.    She finally broke and ran, but it was comical watching her stare, trying to figure out what the heck is that? lol

Art... dew point the last time I ran was 67.    Not oppressive, but will definitely make you sweat...lol  My buddy in Miami deals with temps in the 90's and dew points in the 70's almost daily.    He complains about his slow running pace and I tell him his weather would kill me...lol    I've been trying to plant a second crop lately, but I think the heat's winning out.     You're doing plenty for the conditions you're dealing with, hang in there!

Beautiful day in northern MN.  Light shower this morning and overcast sky most of the day w/ temp around 75, slight breeze.  Lots of 'summer cleaning' in the house.  Was getting lazy and thinking of blowing off a workout but I drove to gym, yay!!!  20 min stationary bike, 30 min weights, and finished w/ 15 min elliptical.  THEN, felt all energetic so drove to state park for a 'feel good' run .........not sure how long but played it by ear. Ran some hills on the X-country trails, fighting off deer flies too (like NH, they were on the rampage!!), took 30 sec walk breaks when needed and stretched, injury area was tight but took it easy, could feel it getting swollen.  Finished 8.1 miles!! YIPPEE!!   I'm drenched but the slight breeze along the lake had a cooling effect. Iced back of knee asap, feels better!

Chantilly:  not sure why it gets swollen but it calms down after icing/elevation.  I'm not pushing it when I run.  I take walk breaks when I feel discomfort, it's not painful.  I wear the same Nathan hydration waist belt as Art when I race or on longer training runs.  Right now, I take a Nathan hand-held which I really don't care for, I prefer to have my hands free, but I stash it along the way.  It works.

NH:  The doe probably told the rest so you might have a crowd checking you out!! LOL!!  Nice mileage on the tryke but those pesky deer flies can be so annoying, they were swarming me on my run in the woods.  Horse flies are the worst!! 

NH Runner

Sunday, 7/31... 8 mile railtrail run in the rain today.   Light rain and 67 degrees, perfect!   I haven't been running the railtrail and my heel didn't like it, as well as the Merrill Road Gloves I wore for shoes.   Glad to get the longer distance in, but hoping now I won't pay too much of a price.   I've iced and stretched, now we'll see what tomorrow brings.

az... nice workout yesterday, good for you!    I thought the deer flies would be laying low in the rain today, but some of 'em must own rain suits...

Art in AZ

Sunday turned into a rest day as it was decided to do breakfast and then see the new Bourne movie. So got bagels and then went to the movie and then had lunch. Movie was good but to me it didn't really add anything to the story. And there were a few things I didn't like.

13 miles this morning under cloudy skies and a slight breeze. Temp was in the low 80s so it was cooler. Still got soaked because of the humidity and dew point. Even felt a few drops at the beginning but then it was over. Planned to do 12 miles but miscalculated and ended up with an extra mile thus the 13 miles. Actually felt good running until the end and walked the last half-mile.

Rich - The deer was dazed and amazed. Good ride on the tryke. Do you think the heel hurting was do to the rail trail or the shoes? I run in mostly road shoes even when I do some of my "trails" here and so far haven't noticed any difference.

AZ - Good that you felt a need to run after all the housework and gym exercise. I am glad I usually don't have to bother with any kind of flies around here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ