50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

NH Runner

Got in 8 miles this morning. Cool and overcast this morning as they are calling for rain Thursday night through Saturday. It's raining a little right now. Rest day tomorrow as I have a funeral in the morning. So I'll see what Saturday brings. Otherwise it will be Sunday. Suppose to be partly sunny for the Super Bowl.

AZ - You're still getting in the miles despite the weather. Are you still planning for the trail halfs here in March? I'm debating about doing a half in Cottonwood middle of April. But am a little concerned about the higher elevation and breathing based on my 5k at that elevation last year.

Art:  sincere sympathy for the funeral.  Tweaking a scheduled run happens more often it seems due to weather.  Rain is a blessing in that area though.  Yes, I'm running the 2 trail HMs in March in one week. I registered for both last month; both events are just outside of Phoenix.  I'm driving to AZ, so stopping along the way to and from to visit family and friends in ND, CO, & NM.  On the return trip, I would like to run a 25k just west of Fargo ......http://endracing.com/end-sure

Are you thinking of the Brian Mickelsen Memorial race?  I wouldn't think that there is THAT much elevation change to make THAT much of a difference in elevation running from Phx to Cottonwood.  I read .....somewhere ..... that growing up in higher elevation, then moving elsewhere, then moving back, it doesn't take long (in time) to get re-acclimatized.  So I guess that's why it doesn't affect me much.  It doesn't hurt to run more training miles though ......which, with those race events in mind, I hope to run a couple of 15 milers before heading down to AZ.  I assume there is much activity for the Super Bowl in the valley.  DH could care less about the game but I enjoy a good hard fought out game.  Been watching a lot of college basketball games (men and women) to my heart's content this week.  I LOVE March madness.  How are you and DS doing with preparing for the IMS race?  I think it's a great small event (as far as road races are concerned) and hope that you enjoy it.  Have you considered running trail races?  Plenty of trail running groups in the valley to train with.

Took a rest day today.  Our driveway is a sheet of ICE!!  Took a very careful walk on it to change the light bulb on our lamppost and almost slipped twice!!  With the windchill, it's sub-zero degrees so not worth driving to the gym, much less running on the road around the neighborhood. I'm losing my mind ......... what keeps me sane are running vicariously through these videos ........I can't wait to be back in the southwest and run my mountain trails:  http://runningwildnz.com/wild-tours/tots/  and  http://www.runnersworld.com/where-to-run/rave-run-albuquerque-new-mexico  and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xEoiH3kulo

Chantilly:  I guess I'm lucky that the TMs at the gym faces the mini track, and inside the track, there are basketball courts, tennis courts.  Sounds big but the track is small.  It takes 7 laps to run a mile.    So people running and playing, it keeps me distracted but I go with a workout that keeps me busy with hills and pace.  Can't get much on the downhill running though, LOL!!    I run on the mini track mostly for warm up and cool down when I can.  I'm getting to be a 'regular' that other 'older' walkers are waving to me now.  I'm usually the only one (around my AG, it seems) that runs. 

Art in AZ

Got in 5 miles this morning. It was coldish, damp, humid and felt like it was going to rain. So did the 5 miles nearby just in case. Thought of doing a longer run but figured I would have better luck on Sunday. Sure enough, 15 minutes after I get in the house it starts raining. So it looks like a long run for Sunday. After that I have to try working in the yard. The weeds are laughing at me.

The garden is loving the rain but I need it to dry out some so I can plant some seeds.

AZ - Yes it was the Brian Mickelsen half I was thinking of doing. Thought it would be a good way to spend the day up there doing stuff. It is April 18th so I would have plenty of time in racking up the miles. I have done a few trail races. My problem, in my mind, is training better for them. Any decent trail with elevation change is 30 minutes or more away. Makes it somewhat difficult getting there during the week and other weekend events are interfering. Son in law who I race with doesn't like height change. He likes flat. The last two trail races I did he went with. While he finished, he walked a lot. So I am concerned about going there myself.

Fletch - It was miserable out. If this rain was happening in the summer it would be fun. Not so much in the winter.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Chantilly- NICE medal!  love it.  And amazing weekly mileage. 

AZ- You are still doing a great job in the deep freeze.  Nice that you have the gym when it's absolutely too cold.  I've not registered yet, but plan on a 5K in Madison on Pi day; of course, pie after the race!   Also planning on the Door County Half Marathon first Saturday in May.  After that, I hope to run the Dances with Dirt trail HM I first ran last July.

Fletch-  Those group speed runs are helping you big time!  Nice job.

NHRich-  ski's or running shoes, you are getting out there.  Nice.

Had some extra time this weekend, so I did 5 on TM Friday morning, then 6 on the Riverwalk after working until noon.  Today  DW met with 2 college roommates in Madison, and I ran 10 through the arboretum while they enjoyed coffee.  Those 2 days helped me get my highest monthly total to date, 125 miles.   Hope I can keep that up through spring and to the races!

Have a great February!

Dan

Art in AZ

Kind of a surreal run this morning. Weather looked overcast again but no rain. Once I got outside I saw it was really foggy. I mean a thick, dense fog. Visibility was less than 100 yards. Couldn't see the houses at the end of the street. Running in the fog made me think of Twilight Zone. Eventually it faded away and revealed a clear sunny sky. Yea, weather back to normal.

Run this morning is a long out and back. In the middle there are two overpasses that make a loop so there is some gradual elevation change. You start high and then get to the low point where it goes back up and then goes down and then starts up again before you hit the middle of the way down going back. This loop is a little over a mile and I ran it four times to work my legs a little more. After that it's all flat the rest of the way. Put in a total of 14 miles. Probably the last long run before the half. I'll see how I fell next weekend.

Dan - Nice double on Friday followed by 10 yesterday. That Pi 5K sounds fun. A good reason to celebrate running and tie it into something.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

Hi All,

Started the February thread for your posting pleasure.

:-)

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54