50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

Hi Masters!  Today was too nice not to run, (48 & sunny) and since yesterday got too busy and turned into a rest day I did 5.5 in just over an hour.  I ran one of my usual routes in the opposite direction to put the hills in the last 2 miles.  I was able to push up those at a good pace and was please that I was still strong enough at the end to have a negative split.  Need to do hills several times weekly between now and the HM in 4 weeks.

Run strong, run safe this week friends.

Dan

Nice run, Dan! I did the same thing with only 5 mi. Doesn't it feel good to not battle the elements? I have a friend training for the hills at the Big Sur Marathon, a week before our runs. He keeps pulling calf muscles on his hill runs and will now be recovering instead of running up to the last minute. Love your Go Gettem plan. Please be careful. Everything I've read has said you need three weeks to benefit from hill work. My training plan has one more long run and then starts taper and we are running the same weekend.

5 mi recovery run 1:10.  Ran three miles, jogged one and finished with intervals. It wasn't my plan; had major dead leg tired dog syndrome - DLTDS? I've been getting a lot of protein and my skin and nails are looking n feeling much better. Now I'm eating to fuel when I'm not running? That tickles me. It has been one of my bigass goals since I turned 50 (and was wearing size 20) to eat for fuel more than pleasure. Thought it would never happen! Nice milestone!

There's a new milk based protein drink I sampled at races - Core Power.  Good list of natural ingredients, nice taste, 26 g protein for only 120 cal., at convenience stores, but pricey ($3 for 12 oz). A nice alternative to the chemicals in Gatorade. Yesterday had a craving for a sport drink at mi. 10 and had money. Stopped into a UDF (7/11 type store) and power died as I walked in. It was off everywhere. Ran a couple more miles and there's a gas station. They're down, too! The rest of the run was residential river so by mi 16 my fantasies were on fire. Was picturing shaved ice with sports drink syrup. Came home and ordered a daiquiri maker. Cannot wait! Vodka and Hammer Fizz? Rum and Gatorade Blue?

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Art in AZ

Mary Kay - My favorite music is rock n roll. I actually like a lot of different types of music. About the only music I don't really enjoy is Country and Rap. But for running the choices are all pretty much high power, fast tempo with some slower favorites thrown in. I think I said this before but there are a lot of songs I hear I would like to add to my list. The trouble is I never her the name of the song or the band.

And I can imagine having a taste for something and getting ready to get it and then be told you couldn't. Oh the agony! Shamrock Farms has a chocolate milk drink called Rocket Refuel that is really good. Being cheap I usually make my own by using lowfat milk and Hershey's dark Chocolate Syrup. After some of my longer runs.

Dan - It does feel good to be able to run faster in the latter parts of our runs. All good prep for your upcoming half.

I did 10 miles this morning. Looking at the calendar I see I ran everyday this week. The weather has been really nice here for running in the morning.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

All- Great job with your runs this weekend.  It's always interesting to hear about everyone's different experiences.

My next race is a 10k on Memorial Day weekend, so Saturday I ran that distance as my training.  Finished at a few seconds over 57 minutes.  Will probably run 8 miles on my next 'long" training run.  I'm impressed by those of you who run almost every day.  I still run every other day and do strength work in the weight room on the non-running days.  Pretty much all of my running is on hard surfaces (sidewalks and paved streets) and my almost 60 YO legs really take a beating if I run on consecutive days, even with my well-cushioned ASICS Kayano shoes.  It is what it is, and we'll all keep doing what works for each of us.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Haven't post in a few days.  Finally talked DH into seeing a MD and diagnosis:  pneumonia.  Misery continues.  Last run was last Thursday, 10.5 miles.  Rest day Friday.  I sound like a meteorologist every time I post, Joking.  But it SNOWED Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and it got cold and breezy.  I usually wait till 1 pm to run as the temps tend to warm up but wind/breeze sometimes picks up but that's the chance I take.  Thought I could get a short run in on Sunday but it started to snow in the afternoon into the night!!!  Even though it's in the 20s and 30s, the breeze makes it colder and I can't take a chance on getting sick again which usually starts with a sore throat.  So I haven't run at all since Thursday.  Another storm with windy conditions predicted this week.

So I am waiting with DH at the clinic and he turned to me and said, "honey, I think you should just run the half instead of the full in May."  WOW, where did that come from?!? But he read my mind as I have been struggling with that decision, but if I said it, it would sound so defeated.  He gave me a hug and, "I know it's been really difficult for you lately, and you do try to run as much as you can, when you can but you have trained more for your previous marathons and you're not at that level.  You know that and I don't want you to hurt yourself, and be disappointed in your time."  He knows he will be hearing about it endlessly, Joking.  Do I have a great DH or what?!? I really didn't think he was thinking about that at all.  So right at that moment, I felt a mixed of emotions, kinda sad (really wanted to run THIS FM), kinda stupid (it's only a race/there will be others), a huge sense of relief (less stress/anxiety), but most importantly, the realization that DH is more thoughtful and insightful than I give him credit for, even when he is feeling really crappy.  So I changed from a FM to a HM for the May 4th event.  And I didn't really care if it snowed all weekend after that!!  LOL!!

My flight for AZ is this Friday, I'm feeling anxious about leaving DH for about a month, but he wants me to go.  It's a business and pleasure trip: to see our grand babies, family and to check on our AZ home.  I bought insurance just in case I have to make changes to my trip, like returning early, etc.  I have kept a base mileage of at least 10 miles, and I am not worried about resuming my training.  I will have a 10k race this Saturday, "the firefly race" in Phoenix, about same elevation as here  No problem. Just a training run. But once back in northern AZ, the altitude and trail running will be an advantage (I hope).  How you react to life's interruptions can make it much more manageable and less stressful when shared with a supportive group of friends. Thanks, you all.

WDWRich

az2mntrail- Congrats on your decision to run the HM.  I'm sure it's the right one at this time.  Hope your DH recovers quickly.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

Thought I'd update you all on my Knoxville Half Marathon this Sunday. I had not fully decided to run it until Saturday as DD was unable to do it. So this would be my first HM on my own. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but decided it was something I needed to do for ME!  The weather was perfect, clear skies, 45 deg start temp end 57. I did my 1:1 minute run/walk intervals on a very hilly course and stayed pretty true, but did extend on the downhills and tried to not shorten too much on the 3 really long and brutal uphills. The scenery was beautiful, had good crowd support and a bands quite often. Somehow I knocked my Garmin off in the first mile and didn't discover until the second, so I was never able to keep up with the time, so decided to just do my best and let the chips fall where they may. As I came in through the tunnel entering Neyland Stadium, home of my alma mater, University of Tennessee, 2 marathoners blazed by me. Come to find out they weren't the winners....they were already done! The finish line is on the 50 yard line, when I saw the clock, it read 2:31:000 and I thought maybe, just maybe I will break 2:30!  An announcer called out my name, and I saw myself on the huge jumbo tron screen.  I tried to take a pic of it, but like the Garmin, my camera decided to malfunction at that time.  A good looking football player put my medal on, gave me a hug and then two other players did too!!  BIG GUYS!!  How sweet was that.  My official time was 2:29:37  a pr for me!  Good for 9th out of 22 in the 60-64 AG.

I felt great after and had a blast during.  While it would have been much more fun to have LeAnne running beside me, and I might would have shaved a couple more minutes, it still was a huge victory for me.

A wee bit sore today, but thankful for the ability to run.

Run on mighty masters!!

BTW, there was a guy 91 years old, Mike Fremont, that finished the half in a little over 3 hrs!! He didn't look a day over 70 other than being a bit stooped. He attributed his ability to run and his health to changing to a vegan diet when he was 70 and had cancer. The cancer was cured and no return. hmmmmm

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

dyykjt1

CONGRATULATIONS MARIE!!!! Wooohooo on your PR!  PR's have gotten harder to come by for me since I have entered the 6th decade of life! Shocked  9th in AG is awesome!!! I am just wondering what your run/walk mpm is for your 1:1 ratio? When I try to do a walk/run, I tend to run way to fast and walk way to fast and then by mile 10 or 11 I am exhausted. I do not thing I am working the walk/run thing correctly.

I also ran a HM this past weekend, but not with as good of time as you! My chip time was 2:34.23 and was good for 6th place out of 16. I will take it! As long as I can finish within the top 1/4 to 1/3..I am a happy camper.

After running 6 HM's in 5 months..I am finished with races until the fall. It is getting way to hot here to be racing. The run this weekend was terribly hot with temps at 65 at the beginning and upward of mid 80's by 9:30-10:00 a.m. Even though I had water, I still became somewhat dehydrated simply because my body was not acclimated to the temps and humidity.

I am going to try and find some type of treatment for my Morton's Neuroma this summer other than surgery. That would be my last resort and probably the last of my running also.

Have a great week Masters!!!!

justrundan

Marie- WAY TO GO!!  Nice PR.  As I was posting this past weekend I was just thinking that we hadn't heard anything from the painting lady from TN!  And there you go, showing up with a PR.  Nice.  Very nice.  Big congratulations.  I'm sure it was tougher to run alone, but you did a great job.  My next (& only my 2nd) HM is in 4 weeks, and 2:30 is my goal.  (ran 2:36+ last fall)    Than this fall I'll be doing HM with my son on my 60th BD.  Does that get me into the 60-64 category?  Big grin

AZ- Wow, one thing after another for DH.  You will both be in my prayers.   What a great guy!   It sounds like your decision was the best at this time. What can you say, life happens, and you've had a lot of life happen in the last 4-6 months as you've tried to train.  Just enjoy the HM and the training leading up to it.

dyy- Wow, with those temps I agree; no more races till the fall!  What do you do to keep in shape during the worst heat of the summer?  Up extra early and run before dawn?

Hang in there and run strong friends.

Dan

Art in AZ

Rich - Your training run 10K was good. You have 6 weeks before the event and I know you'll do good. I know what you mean about hard surfaces. Not much grass here to run in.

az2mn - Even though we may not say it all the time, we do notice and sometimes we may even say something about it. And I wouldn't look at it as being defeated. Look at it as adapting to the changing environment. You're still running and will still do good.

Marie - Nice job on the HM and PR. Was the time what you were expecting if you used the Garmin? Just wondering because I have heard from a few others that ran without their device and had a better time then they were expecting.

dy - Another HM done. You have run more HMs so far then the rest of us will run all year. I agree it gets harder running the longer distances when the temps go up.

Dan - If you are 60 on the day of the race then you are in that age group. I looked forward to it the first couple of races in a new age group. But it wore off pretty quickly.

Didn't run this morning because it was pretty windy and dusty out. I did exercise in the house though. Tomorrow is another day.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Greeat Job on those endless hills, Marie!! Whoo Hoo!! Awesome rime and PR!!! Glad you went ahead but also sorry DD couldn't run with you.

Kathy, I think you've earned your MIGHTY Master title already this year!! Rest and enjoy your fun runs!!

Rich, 57 min for a 10 k is amazing time!! You have 7 more weeks? What to do?

Dan - Does that get me into the 60-64 category? Hell ya!  If you think your three years and some days will give you an advantage, enjoy every minute. I could be wrong but I'm hoping to be able to compete by next year with anyone they put in my group. Hope springs eternal. 

Looks like Louisville has this game. Great Game!! I almost turned it off thinking they were too far behind. BBall is a beautiful game but hard to watch on TV. I only watch the playoffs bc I find seeing a team lose when they are expected to win or win when they are expected to lose fascinating. Srsly, is there any question that motivation can push you beyond your limits? Sometimes too far. I am amazed at the lies I've been able to get myself to believe when I'm running: It's just a little further; you're not hungry, you're just tired; you're not tired, it's allergies; you're allergies aren't that bad and it's just a little further so Shut. UP. Joking

Art - I'll post playlists on my profile if possible. I hate to take up room here.  Very eclectic. No hip hop or country. No motown. Nothing depressing or overly Love themed. Mostly even paced rock. Started with club/dance music. It was good for a newbie but found a little mellowdie best for passing the miles of long distance runs. Enjoy!

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay (age 64) 

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Marie~AWESOME HM run and congrats on your PR!  Loved reading your race report, sounds like it was a great event. You should feel a huge sense of accomplishment to know you ran this race solo and so strong on those Tennessee hills.  I'm so proud of you!Big grin  The 91 yo gentleman is an inspiration.  The new Runner's World has a great article about a running group of 80 and 90 year old guys that run every week.  Love it!!!

Kathy~Congratulations on your latest HM this past weekend!  You have had a stunning stretch of races -- fantastic!  I hope you are able to resolve the Morton's Neuroma.  I'm so sorry it continues to be a problem for you.  If you could spare a few degree, we would gladly take them!

AZ~I know it was a disappointment for you, but wise decision to switch to the half.  Your DH is such a sweetheart!  Prayers said for a speedy and full recovery for him.  Enjoy your visit to see your grandbabies and I'll be thinking of you running your beloved trails in Arizona.

Rich~You will knock it out of the park for your 10k!  57 minutes for a training run is great, and you still have 7 more weeks to get stronger and faster.

MaryKay~Congrats on reaching the "eating for fuel instead of pleasure" milestone!Big grin  What is your taper plan for the Pig?  Re: music, I don't run w/ the ipod, but of late I've had Mumford & Sons' "I Will Wait For You" playing in my head.  It sure helps me pick up the pace during Tempo runs! btw- I think the vodka and Grapefruit  Hammer Fizz has possibilities!!!

Art~Great job on the 10 mile run, and that was a nice streak you had going!

Dan~Nice work on the hill training.  You are going to be ready for the trek up Sven's Bluff and Lighthouse hill!  We are on the home stretch now, buddy!

Thunderstorms today, so I'll put off hill repeats until tomorrow and do 5 or 6 easy miles at the indoor track today.  Have a great week and run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

It was about 2 pm when I headed out the door for a run yesterday.  It was about 25 degrees, and not sure if it was gonna get any 'warmer.'  Slight breeze was tolerable until the last 2 miles when it picked up, BRRR!!  But I made it, 6.2 miles, four miles of that at tempo pace, WHEW!!  HMs are my favorite distances so I feel a renewed sense of energy and enthusiasm now.  I know i can train well for the HM on May 4th, that's plenty of time. My mental state is in a 'happy place' since the decision from FM to HM.  It happens, I know.  Thanks for the support and understanding everyone!! It's about 13 degrees but feels like 5 (according to weather) and getting colder the next few days.  Hope to get in a short run today when (if) it 'warms' up to about 20/25 degrees.

Marie:  hi stranger!!!  YIPPEE!! CONGRATS on the PR, WAY TO GO!!  Big grin  Yeah, I remember running those hills in the Knoxville race,  brutal!!! when running up/down one after another.

dyy:  DITTO to you too on your wkend race!! You do deserve some time off from racing but I know you'll be back soon, hopefully without the aggravating neuroma!! Don't be a stranger Smile

Dan:  Yeah, his 50th year pretty much sucked for DH.  He's looking forward to 51, Wink.  So I will be running a HM on the same day as you are!!  You'll finish 'earlier' than I will ........ per TIME ZONE, haha!!

Art:  thanks for the encouragement.  Tough to opt out of a 'race' when one is competitive but yes, I will still be 'running' and there are other FMs.  But hey, the dust storm in AZ made the news!! I use to live in Mesa. I know it can be pretty strong to cause accidents especially on I-10 towards Tucson, scary but amazing when it happens.  I wouldn't run outside either.

mkayc:  I follow the NCAA march madness, men's and women's.  I enjoy watching great games played (getting less & less, just run and gun for 3 ptrs now, it seems), no matter the teams.  I played basketball forever it seems.  Always rooting for the underdog, Michigan lost it on poor offensive rebounding, IMO. Other than that, they were pretty well matched despite their 'ranking.' Another game, another year.

gito57:  Honestly, the disappointment lasted for a few minutes really because I know i would have been MORE disappointed if I didn't do as well as I wanted (sub 4:00). Anyway, like I mentioned, HMs are my favorite distances, and I can run one/month. Not lately since moving to MN tho'. Undecided  I find the HM trainings to be much more manageable. Can't wait to run my hills on my AZ trails!!

Debra- LOVE Mumford and Son! Their entire first album is fantastic! Haven't had the same reaction to Babel. New Pink album is fantastic with the exception of two songs that are ok. Just made new playlists I can send. Music has always been a huge part of my life and DD works in music so I get a lot from her. There's a Cincy band Walk The Moon that has one hit but their entire album is excellent.

Have no plan for the race. Am sticking to training plan religiously and haven't had a trip to PT yet so will follow that for taper. Thanks for asking! I should be planning. What are your race plans?

80 degrees sunny but stuck in a day long meeting. Sad have my shorts n shoes though and plan says 4-7 m or speed work.

Run strong and fierce, all!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

justrundan

Dan~Nice work on the hill training.  You are going to be ready for the trek up Sven's Bluff and Lighthouse hill!  We are on the home stretch now, buddy!

Thunderstorms today, so I'll put off hill repeats until tomorrow and do 5 or 6 easy miles at the indoor track today.  Have a great week and run strong friends!

Debra- I've been trying to figure out elevation gain and grade on those hills using the mapping feature here, but I'm not getting it to work right, and I'm not exactly sure where Lighthouse hill is; Sven's Bluff I think I know.  Do you happen to know distance and grade and elevation gain?  The hills here tend to be very steep, 10-15% mostly.  I'd like to try something as close to those as possible.

If your weather is anything like ours, you may be inside again today!  Cold, sleet and very windy.  Miserable.  Good thing it was a rest day for me; I'm sure I'll be on the mill again tomorrow and Friday, maybe outside by Saturday.  Was hoping to do 13.1 this weekend as my longest before starting to cut back.  This Saturday will only be 3 weeks away!  I'm praying for a warming spell in NE Wisconsin for early May!  Smile

AZ- Debra and I start @ 10 AM Central in Door County, so we may finish before you, but I know you'll finish FASTER than me.  I'm hoping to break 2:30, and as I recall you're shooting for sub-2, right?  In my dreams!!  Blush

Art and Mary K-  re: the 60-64 age group-- Unfortunately I don't think it's going to make a big improvement for me.  I'm usually in the lowest 20 %ile in these groups, so maybe I'll bump up a little!  I'll set my goal at improving, but not expecting too much.  If I can beat myself,   I'll be pleased.  I've only done one prior HM, so I think I can do that!

Dan