50 and over 5k and beyond

May runs & workouts (Read 14 times)

adkkev

6.55 miles for me this evening, mixed in a lot of hills along the way.  Watched the storm clouds pass right around us & then the sun broke out of the clouds just in time for sunset.  Some really cool cloud formations too.

Nice runs Chantilly & Ray!

When we were in Moab, Utah, a couple weeks ago, we watched the Salt Lake TV stations for the weather ... they were getting rain & mtn snow up there, but nothing down Moab way.  But it was interesting to see how excited the Salt Lake weathermen were about getting just a quarter inch of rain ... we wouldn't consider that much more than a sprinkle here in upstate NY.  It rained while we were in Durango, CO, and they were pretty excited about that ... I think I would be too considering the fire danger they face in the summer months ... on the train ride to Silverton we saw some of the remnants of the forest fires they had a couple years ago.

We were in Yellowstone the year after the big fires there ... we hiked through one area that had been burned ... now that was an interesting experience indeed.  Big tall trees still standing upright but blackened by the fires, hardly any branches left, no needles.  But it was nice and green in the undergrowth.

We've been through lots of places in Alaska where the fires have ripped through in years past ... you can always tell that it's been a recent fire by all the dead black spruce trees with tons of colorful fireweed growing underneath them.  Quite pretty.

NH Runner

Friday, 5/30... complete day off except taking my granddaughter fishing.   Didn't catch anything...

Saturday, 5/31... 2 mile easy run this morning to stay loose.   I'm getting all the little aches and pains that come with cutting back on mileage, I know they're nothing to worry about, but it's weird how they crop up... lol   Looking forward to tomorrow's race...

Chantilly...thanks.   You're running really well lately...

ray... I'm not familiar with a Geometric taper...lol  I've tried to keep the intensity up during training over the past couple of months and backed off when necessary and that's really all I'm doing with this taper, resting enough to try to be ready to race tomorrow.    I know this isn't marathon training, but dealing with a testy achilles kind'a shortened the time I had to get ready, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.    And I'm with you, I love to race, it's what makes running fun...

adkkev... interesting post.   I remember the fires at Yellowstone and remember letting them burn.   Seemed weird at the time, but was probably the right call...

adkkev

4 miles this evening on the nature trail ... 70 degrees & sunny, very nice!!  1 mile walking cool down with Mrs. adkkev.

Best wishes on your race Rich!!