50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2018 (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Saturday, 2/17... overnight temp was 11 degrees, so I knew the trail would be frozen solid this morning.   Out early and rode the tryke 6 miles.   The goal was to be done before the snowmobilers were out in force and finished without seeing any.   Perfect! 

Art in AZ

Finally got out for a run today late morning after my morning stuff. Did 5 miles. Last run was last Sunday. Been busy all week and the weather has been light rain/rain on and off the past couple of days. Cleared up a little Friday, nice today but getting cloudy as I type and the temps are suppose to drop again this week. Checked the log and I have a paltry 22 miles for the month. This month will probably be a record low for me unless I can get in some more runs.

Ray - We're getting another week of cooler/cold temps coming through. But I don't think there's any rain forecasted this time.

AZ - Good race report there. Always nice to see friends unexpectedly. I'm sure you'll manage at your ultra. 

Rich - Thank goodness for the tryke. It's not that the light rain stopped me, mostly I was concerned about getting too wet and having the wet shirt against the patch.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

7.1 on RiverWalk yesterday. URD today so I’ll try to make that up tomorrow.

AZ-  I told DW you were doing a 34 mi race and she exclaimed “O MY GOODNESS!!  

nice HM you did. I hate windy runs.   Door County is only thing I’ve signed up for but anticipating doing Dances With Dirt in July, since I missed it last year.

Art- nothing like a bottle of whiskey to mess up a study!!  Craziness.

Rich-  you are better at getting out for cold runs than I am. Way to go.

Ray- with those long runs you should have no trouble keeping up with the pace bunny.

Dan

Art in AZ

5 miles again this morning. Granddaughters were over and wanted to paint the fence. So I let them paint while I did the last section of fence. The weather was perfect for both. Mostly cloudy, upper 60s. Of course they left the clean up for me. Also planted some more seeds in the garden for a second planting of carrots, beets, green beans, snap peas and radishes. Picked some cherry tomatoes from last years plant but they weren't that good.

Dan - Good to get an outside run in before the weather changes there.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 2/18... no run today, we got about 6 inches of snow overnight that I took care of first thing in the morning, then did a few push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups and hangs.

Monday, 2/19... grabbed the boots and snowshoes and headed for the trail this morning.   I was hoping a couple of snow machines had gone through and packed yesterday's fresh snow and was surprised to see the snow packed down pretty hard.  For the most part, the run was good, I ended up running 5 miles, but every now and then the metal cleats on the snowshoes would dig in and catch in the packed snow and I'd be scrambling like crazy to avoid doing a face plant.   A 10 foot stride length saved the day, but can REALLY stress the leg muscles...lol

Art... I hope you know the wise cracks I make in here are all in fun, I don't particularly like running in the rain either, but if it gives me a chance to razz you a little if you avoid it, I just can't help myself...lol   Yeah, your mileage is off a little this month, but I wonder if that's even a bad thing.  It doesn't take many miles to maintain, a cut back month will give your body a chance to get everything back in tip top shape again, a nice little maintenance break...lol   Lots of stuff going on in your garden, you're lucky to have such a long growing season.   I think your grandbabies have stolen your heart...

Dan... nice 7.1 miles!   I try to avoid the overnight temps I mention here as much as possible.   The 11 degrees I mentioned the other day wasn't what I actually rode the tryke in, I mentioned it because it told me the trail would be frozen solid and fit to ride.   I waited for it to warm before going for a ride.  Have you attempted any of the cross training you mentioned a while ago?  Push-ups and sit-ups, etc.?   I can do a few push-ups and sit-ups, but chin-ups are a spirit breaker.  Forget lifting my weight, I have to stand on a stool, jump up, grab the bar and try to hold the upper position as if I'd just lifted my weight.   From there, I try to slowly lower my weight 'til I'm back to the extended position below the bar.   A teeth gnashing, eyeball popping affair that's supposed to strengthen the right muscles, but getting to do even one pull up will be a miracle...lol

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/20... bit the bullet and passed on running today.  57 degrees and sunny and I REALLY wanted to run, but yesterday's snowshoe run was a bit too much for my sore calf, so I walked 3 miles in snowshoes instead and did a few sets of push-up and sit-ups later in the day.   Tomorrow we're forecast to hit 70, which is unheard of this time of year, so I'll be trying something for a run...

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Last week I did 4 miles Monday, 8 Tuesday, 7 Wednesday and about 5 Friday.  Not bad, but I was trying to do like 5 runs of 7 or more miles, I think I need to step up from having my typical run being 4 miles or less. This week I did like 36 hours of overtime at work, some voluntary some mandated. No time for runs when you work double shifts.  My one day off I rested, did not feel like doing the run. Yesterday was a record somewhere near 70 degrees! However, I ended up working from 7 AM to noon and then going in again at 2:30 pm for another 8 hours. They called me this morning at 7:30 to come in today at noon, but I did not answer the phone. Today is overcast with some wind and light drizzle, but still on the warm side being like 45 degrees out! Did a short 4 mile run. I will have to work later today, hopefully just the regular shift. Next week I will have some extra days off. I have concerns if I can get to do enough training for my running goals if all this overtime continues. I work for the state and we are very short of staff right now with also having people out for medical reasons.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/21... locally the temp today got to 64 degrees, but other areas in the state set all time record highs for the date.   Beautiful day just the same and I rolled my testy calf with a foam roller to loosen things up before heading out to run.   What a treat to ditch the gloves, pants and jacket in exchange for shorts and tech shirt.  Anyway, I wanted 5 miles, but pulled up just short of the turn-around and headed for home, my calf wasn't happy.   I finished the run by stopping to stretch a couple of times, so no harm done.  Fun's over though, the temp's dropping into the 20's tonight with snow showers forecast for tomorrow.   A few push-ups, sit-ups and hangs finished the day.

Altair5... what a crazy work schedule lately, eh?   Are your co-workers out with the flu?   At any rate, good luck getting back on track with your running schedule, hopefully things will return to normal soon...

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning in cold weather. Temp was 39 degrees when I left the house. Had to get my gloves back out because of the weather. Forecast for the rest of the week is highs around 60 with the lows in the upper 30s and lower 40s. With these temps I don't have to worry about sweating too much. Just trying to keep warm will be the plan for early in the morning.

Rich - That's quite a swing in the temps there along with the snow and ice. I think even walking in snowshoes would be a good workout.

Altair - That work schedule will certainly put a strain on your training runs. Hopefully it gets better soon.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Did the same 4 mile run today, conditions quite different than yesterday, 30 degrees and snowing. I did end up going into work at noon yesterday, they called me again and since I was done with my run I agreed to come in. That puts me at like 38 1/2 hours of overtime! My week ends today and I have Friday off. Rich - It is not due to the flu that we are shorthanded. There is someone who is getting a back operation, another was sick and needs approval from Infection Control to return, and another is on maternity leave. One of the supervisors was out for training, another supervisor is temporarily filling a higher position and someone else is out on vacation. The turnover of workers is very high. There are those who have transferred to another group home closer to where they live, someone who could not pass medications and was let go, someone who refused a mandated staff supply to another house who was let go, and a few people who mishandled behavioral situations who had to transfer out. NY state is slow to replace staff, some say because it is cheaper to pay overtime.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

7.1 on RiverWalk yesterday. URD today so I’ll try to make that up tomorrow.

AZ-  I told DW you were doing a 34 mi race and she exclaimed “O MY GOODNESS!!  

nice HM you did. I hate windy runs.   Door County is only thing I’ve signed up for but anticipating doing Dances With Dirt in July, since I missed it last year.

Dan:  that's what I say each time I think about it, LOL!  She'll be even more amazed when you tell her that Christie is running her first 50 miler in May! The Ice Age Trail 50 , La Grange, WI.  Yeah, the HM trail was great but the wind was very annoying and somehow made the distance seem longer, HA!  I hope you do the DWD, that's a great course, you'll rock those rolling hills for sure!

Just a quick check in:  Weather stalking for this Saturdays' ultra.  Snow predicted here and in Page tomorrow but will be SUNNY, 4-5 mph wind and 30s/40s on Race Day!  Sounds good, hope the trails aren't too slippery, should keep the sandy areas down.

Feeling okay.  DH is sick.  Keeping fingers crossed that I don't.

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/22... 7 mile trail ride on the tryke today, that thing's a life saver when the trail's nothing but ice, something I never considered when I made the thing.

Friday, 2/23... an inch and a half of snow overnight worked out great for making the trail runnable with studded Yaktrax, 5 miles total.   Cross trained with resistance exercises later.

Art... 39 degrees, eh?    That's pretty chilly for your neck of the woods.  I try to go out the door feeling a little chiled at first, knowing I'll warm up soon enough.   I still get wet though, probably more from condensation than sweat.  Stay warm out there... lol

Altair5... what a turnover of help!   Congrats on the 4 miler, I'd need a run like that just to maintain my sanity after a work week like you just had.  Hang in there!

az... good luck Saturday!   With the weather and the race!!

Happy Monday!!  It's SUNNY with a nice chilly temp in the 40s in northern AZ!

RR - Antelope Canyon Ultra 55K - Page, AZ - Feb. 24, 2018

It was snowing on Friday when I left my home to drive the 2 hrs to Page, AZ.  Windy too! I had 2 other female runners from the running forum to meet for the first time.  One flew in from TX to Phoenix and terrified of driving in the snow but she made it through, she's running the 55K.  Another flew in a couple of days earlier to take in the sights of Grand Canyon.  She was on her way but the east entrance got closed due to snow so she had to drive through the south entrance and then north, about another 5 hrs drive!! She running her second 50 miler. As we waited for her at the hotel, I got my race gear ready, what food to take in my hydration vest, a drop bag at 23 miles (just in case), and my breakfast for the morning.

We got to the bib pickup expo which was moved to a community center due to the cold and snow.  Stayed for the race briefing.  Then had a light dinner in town with ALL THE OTHER RUNNERS, haha!!  At least it looked that way at this bar and grill in this small town.

I've been fighting off a cold for weeks but I'm determined to make it through the race ..........slept ok, but woke up with running nose and some body aches!! Darn it!!  Friend persuaded me to take some Motrin so I did.  We went to the race location around 5:45 am to see the 50 and 100 milers take off, always cool to see all the headlamps bouncing along the trail, die-hard runners for sure!  It was around 20 degrees!!  BRRRRR!!  Then kept warm in our vehicles till about 6:45.  Our race start is 7 am.  My goal time to finish is between 4-5 pm (8-9 hrs), enjoy the run and take photos, sit and eat at ALL the A.S.

The first Aid Station is about 2 miles. I had one of my collapsable bottle filled with their electrolyte drink here.  Then I kept going. Had to climb down a rocky ridge, then through an arroyo, then onto a typical dirt trail, up the first hill, then mostly running on slickrock portions, another short downhill and wide dirt trail along a wire fence to the second A.S which is about 5 miles from the start.  We will be coming back through here after mile 18. This is along the main road to Page so lots of spectators cheering on their runners.  We have to cross this main highway .......not too busy.

Spent about 10 min there, sat down, felt good, ate some bananas and chips and took a small sandwich of PB and jam, stretched, took off my light jacket that I was wearing under my light wind-breaker, will pick it back up when I come through again.  From here, we run up and down slickrock areas, scooting down on our butts in some areas, then along the rim that takes you to Horseshoe Bend, just amazing!!  Then up and down rocky/dirt areas on single dirt track.  Because of the snow from the night before, the SANDY portions were pretty solid but the sun is warming up and we know that we will be running in some sand later.

Have to cross the highway again here to get to the third A.S.  Sat down, ate my hummus wrap, some oranges, refill my electrolytes, took some chips, had a couple of boiled potatoes, cup of ginger ale.  Spent another 10 mins here.  Then onto to Waterholes slot canyon.  THIS WAS INCREDIBLE!!  Took photos and videos when I could. LOTS of getting on our butts to get down the huge rocks and climbing up with some help from other runners.  Few areas with frozen ice so very cautious of stepping onto rocks and jumping over some of them.  We run through the slot canyon, just WOW!! 

But at the end, you have to climb a ladder to get out through a small opening, then the canyon widens abit, snow in the shadows here. Kept up with about 5 other 'younger' female runners to this point.  Then UP some rocky areas to get to the ridge, WHEW!!  Finally, a dirt road, pretty flat with a panoramic view of the area.  I'm on my own by now but we are in the open and the cool breeze feels colder, and I'm feeling the chills. I keep the other runners in sight. Every now and then, a 50 or 100 miler would pass.

Got to the A.S. (same one I stopped at on 2nd A.S.).  Sat down, picked up my light jacket I dropped off here, still damp from my sweat so just wrapped it around my waist.  Ate some oranges, small ham/cheese sandwich, cup of ginger ale.  I'm ahead of my estimated time of when I thought I would be here, YES!!  Then I walked ..........so did alot of the runners from this point.  We are heading back near to the start/finish location so this dirt trail along the wire fence is a gradual uphill, it doesn't look it but the it feels more 'sandy' now. I tried to jog but felt it was too much effort so I power walked, then climb up the rocky ridge, and then started running again on the single dirt trail, up and down a couple of hills, through an arroyo to the next A.S. (which is the first A.S. when we started).  I wasn't sure what mile I was at at this point (wasn't wearing garmin).  They tell me it's mile 21!! WHAT?!? I'm thrilled, it's 'ONLY' HM distance to the finish, LOL!!

But I'm not feeling too great, stomach issues, and I need to eat something but just don't feel like it.  Spent about 5 mins here. I forced another hummus wrap from my vest, a couple of gulps of ginger ale, sat and stretched before I took off again. There's one other runner ahead of me and we would be passing each other for the rest of the race.  All of a sudden, I had to puke!!  Got off the side of the dirt road, ugh!!  I actually felt better. Took more of my gins-gins which seemed to settle my stomach.

We run through the 'camping' area of the race location, up a sandy hill and have to climb up to the ridge and onto to the Page Rim A.S.  Sat down, stuffed my light jacket in my drop bag, spent about 10 mins here.  Stretched and ate some chips before I took off again. From here, it's about 12 miles to finish, we will pass this A.S. again (the last one) before the finish.  My knee is very unhappy and I'm feeling very achy.  I have no ibuprofen or even tylenol on me.  Didn't even think about asking.  Oh well.

The Page Rim trail is pretty popular apparently .....to the locals, I didn't know about this. The east has a view of the huge power plant but the mesas, vistas, buttes are spectacular as I run/walk/run the mostly single track dirt trail, with some short ups and downs.  Not technical at all and no more scooting on our butts. As it winds north, you are treated with the view of Lake Powell.

Finally I'm near the Lake Powell A.S. We have to go up a gradual hill for an out and back to register our time, and I think I ate half a bowl of the watermelon!!  I needed that!  Nothing else looked good to me.  Took another gins-gins.  I should have sat down but I headed back down the hill and continued on the rim trail.  As it winds south, you get a view of Glen Canyon Dam, then the town and winds around the golf course.  By this time, I'm getting bored with the view and each bend seems endless.  It's suppose to be only 6.2 miles to the Page Rim A.S but it was the longest 10k .........OMG!!

My back and right knee are soooo achy, and screaming.  Had to stop now and then to stretch.  I was worried about cramping, and felt some close ones.  I ran/walked.  When I turn a bend, there's another!!   Finally, I see the A.S. tent.  I didn't stop this time.  You can see the finish area from this ridge, it's only about 1/2 mile but it looks SO FAR!!   One last climb down the ridge, down the sandy rocky hill.  I see the two female runners who had passed me some miles back and I set my sight on them.  I got my last wind and sprinted through some sand.  They saw me and started speeding up. Really?! HA!! I passed them!!   FINISHED!!  WooHOO!!

Official time:  9 hrs, 19 mins (4:19 pm) So I was within my goal time. OV:  160/234.  AG:  5/13.

I could have finished about 30-45 mins early but I'm happy with my time and effort considering my LONG journey back from injury, and trying to fight off a cold.  Weather was ideal although a bit breezy now and then but it wasn't 'windy'.  The wind did pick up later in the evening and it got cold!! I always tell myself "it could be worse!"  Volunteers at aid stations did the best they could but there will be whiners complaining of this and that, not being catered to, trail markings, etc.  I didn't get lost.  This is what dirt trail running is all about!! TX friend quit at mile 22. After my finish, went back to hotel, showered & drove back to race location to cheer in our 50 miler friend. She finished 14 hrs 17 min, 45 mins before cutoff. WIND picked up a lot! And got cold!! We all met up with a couple of other runners at their airbnb, had pizza & drinks & recalled the race while watching the Olympics! USA curling team wins the GOLD!!

I'm not feeling well now.  It has taken me all day to write this.  I'm congested, body aches and chills and runny nose, sneezing.  Hope it doesn't last too long. I have a trail marathon in about a month in NM!!  DH is still sick!

NH Runner

Az... I think I've finally figured you out, you just rely on toughness and jump right into these things...lol  I wouldn't have a clue how to train for a 34 mile trail ultra or what to even expect!    Congratulations on your finish, really impressive!!

2/25... inclement weather, no run but did floor exercises

2/26... 4 mile trail run wearing boots in the new snow, 4 miles

2/27...  5 mile trail run / Yaktrax...