50 and over 5k and beyond

October 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

NH:  glad that your running is going very well and speed will return before you know it. That is some serious 'rototiller'

Dan:  the weather here in northern MN is very similar to WI lately, but I'm taking it day by day. The colors are vibrant but disappearing quickly so I try to take in the views as much as possible before the 'white stuff' comes, BRRR! You are getting some longer miles in before your taper for your upcoming race, right?

Art: are you wearing a costume for next weekend's race? What do you mean you haven't been up north to take in the scenic colors?!? Hope you feel better soon, those types of crummy days only linger for a day sometimes, thank goodness!! I agree with Ray, rest days sometimes are forced upon us.

Ray:  is DW running the marathon as well? You certainly are having excellent runs before your tapering. Obstacle races look fun but not for me. Awesome mileage for your week!!

Chantilly:  how are you? Are you still running the Javalina Jundred or Across the Years in AZ?

Surf the Murph 25K Trail Race:  Easy 4 miler on Thurs., rest day on Friday as I drove to Minneapolis. It rained the whole way with an hour of severe downpour as I drive up to my friend, Chris, best friend's house where we are all staying for the weekend, she practically lives across the park where the race will be held.

Saturday morning: my friend, Chris and her friend, Angie are running the 50k starting at 7 am.  Our other friend is starting at 6 am for the 50 MILER.  I switched to the 25K which started at 8 am so I slept in, LOL!!   Got to the starting line at 7:45 am. Slight drizzle but less windy by then and around 50 degrees, overcast, NICE!! The course was very scenic throughout. Lots of short gradual grassy hills but the few steep short hills were in the right places to take 'walk breaks' to hydrate and take photos.  I had my GoPro for some photo ops and videos (which irritates DH all the time and keeps telling me to 'just run and finish', haha).  I knew it was 16.7 miles so my pace was consistent and I felt good the whole way even tho' my left calf still felt sore but no big issues.  I dressed just right, glad I had my gloves too, the aid stations had the best food and hydration, and awesome cheering spectators and supportive volunteers.  Some muddy slippery areas but the leaves soaked up much of the moisture making most of the course very runnable albeit the hills.  Not technical at all though.  There was one 'water' crossing at the bottom of a hill with only short logs to step on.  My left shoe slipped but I held onto the tree branches, didn't fall but lost my left shoe in the mud.    Shook off the excess water/mud and forced my foot back in as the laces were covered in mud, LOL!!  No official time yet but I finished around 3 hrs.   My garmin switched to time probably due to cloud cover.  I didn't care, I was enjoying my run. I went back to the house, showered and returned before Chris and Angie finished, around 6 hrs. Our 50 miler friend stumbled and strained her achiiles and had IT band issues, she stopped around 38 miles.   The 'medal' is wood cut from a log and we brand our distance on it after we finish. Pretty cool!!  We all had a fabulous dinner together and re-capped the event. Typical leg soreness but not bad at all. Looking for next event! Might be back in AZ in December so I'm thinking this will be my next race:  http://www.aravaiparunning.com/mcdowell-mountain-frenzy/

Art in AZ

5 miles Monday morning tapering down for the Haunted Half Saturday. Weather right now looks good with morning temps from upper 50s to lower 60s and clear skies.

4 miles this morning before work.

Ray - I'll say you're ready. Impressive miles for the week. Yea, the rest day was probably a good thing as I didn't have to fight both mind and body. Also likely helped with Sunday's run.

Rich - There are a lot of options for that. Maybe you could hire out to the neighbors and get a lot of gardens growing.

Dan - Way to get a run in when you can.

AZ - I'm planning to go as a type on Minion. I have blue shorts and bright yellow short. And my shoes are blue and yellow. And no we haven't been up to see the colors. Have been busy the past weekends and for the next couple with family stuff. It would make for one long day trip. The run sounds like you really enjoyed it. Good thing you were able to get your shoe back on. Bet it felt funny for a while. I have done some hiking in the McDowell Mountains and really enjoyed the scenery and exercise I got. Sounds like that would be right up your alley.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

It's SNOWING today!! Our first official snowfall here in northern MN!! About 35 degrees but it really doesn't FEEL cold even with the breeze, it's  actually nice! I can't believe I just wrote that!! LOL!!

My official time for Saturday's 25k trail race (16.7 miles): 3:06:00.  Overall, 42/106 runners. 2nd in AG (50-59) out of 7 female runners.  15th/58 female runners.  DH's response after a big hug: "if you didn't take photos & videos, you would have sub 3 hrs, maybe came in first in AG." Yeah, probably, but "it's suppose to be fun." Besides, you don't get anything for coming in first in category for many races anymore so what's the big deal except for telling everyone and it's forgotten the following week.  At least that's me.  And, I don't run for 'prizes' anyway. I'm happy with time and effort and that's more important to me.  I got great photos though!!

Haven't run since Saturday and my knee is grateful for it, haha!  Funny that I feel post-race depression after trail races but not after road races (I hurt too much after those).  Have a good day everyone!  Gonna go for a short run in the falling snow

NH Runner

Monday, 10/26...off

Tuesday, 10/27... 4 mile railtrail run, decent pace, but short on time

Wednesday, 10/28... tried running on a full stomach today to get out ahead of the rain and that didn't work at all, 2 very uninspired miles, then I quit...lol

az... enjoyed your race report, congrats on another good run.   I'd be intimidated by the crowd you run with, wow!

Art... yeah, I've been leaning on a couple of neighbors to get them to put a garden in, but so far, they ain't listening...lol   Good luck in your half this weekend!

justrundan

AZ- I was just checking weather and saw snow in your area.  maybe  few flakes here overnight, but that's it.  Lots of cold rain the last 24 hrs, will be 34, wet and 18 mph winds @ 0500 tomorrow....TM here I come!

Great trail race you had last weekend,sounds like a blast!  Great to be able to do it with friends and relax over great food afterward.

The Madison HM is a week from Sunday, so I'd say I was tapering if I had anything to taper from.    Definitely will be using run/walk method to get through, just have to decide what my interval will be.

Art- we WILL require pics of you in the minion outfit!

Rich- I always have to run on empty stomach, even a little bothers me.

Stay warm friends!

Dan

Ran easy 4.3 around fairgrounds in the falling snow! Leg muscles felt recovered from Saturday's trail race.

Rest day today.  Lots of foam rolling and stretching with light weights, core workout.

Is anyone else going to a Halloween Party in a costume this weekend?  It's DH's favorite holiday so we are meeting up with others at some backwoods bar/grill. DH bought some masks and wig (for me), I think we are going as a 'devil-ish' couple.

Art in AZ

3 mile run Wednesday morning

2 mile walk this morning before work. Will get another walk in tomorrow morning before work. All set for Saturday. Have to pick up our packets Friday because they have no day of pick up. Weather looks real good for Saturday morning. Getting psyched a little.

AZ - Snow already. Must be a new thing having a white Halloween if it stays around that long. See, temperature is a relative thing. Nice going on your race. It's easy after the race is done and you get your time for those "if I had done this or done that" to have a better time. But I like your attitude. It's the event that you remember, not necessarily your time. Unless you win. Those we seem to remember better.

Rich - I'm the same way with running on a full stomach. Riding the bike is easier and less disturbing.

Dan - The colder weather is coming your way for sure now. Hopefully the rain will not be around long and the sun comes out to warm things up a little.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

6.5 yesterday @ HM pace, +/-

First ever running dream last night.  Doing multiple loops of 'somewhere' I'd never run before. I looked at my Garmin & I was @ 11 mi, thought, "wow, when I get back to the truck it'll be 13, this wasn't hard at all!".  Well DUH, it's a dream.  Almost LOL when I woke up! 

AZ- like I said to Art, we want pics of any costumes!

no snow here yet, but cold rain!!  Current forecast for next Sunday is upper 30's, wind, maybe wet?  Time to prepare!

Dan