50 and over 5k and beyond

September runs and workouts (Read 13 times)

Chantilly75

NH Runner Have a good time at the orchard. Is it a "pick your own?"  Our store only has field pumpkins. The Farmer's market probably has the sweet ones. I am the only one who would eat pumpkin pie, which is why I make cake instead. It is nice that they found the dog, he looks kinda beaten up, but ok.

rmcj001 Nice couple of 200+ months there.  Are you doing your nature hikes this year?

Altair5 The glass works are very pretty, except for the last one, which looks like 2 jellyfish up top and a rattler on the bottom?!

Good luck tomorrow!

3 mile run on the track.

67 minute walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Altair5

Runs in the rain

My taper week runs totaled 18 miles this week and were jogged slowly. I am not sure if I under did it this week, but felt that maybe I had over did it last week. Anyway, tomorrow is the full marathon. I expect the weather to be very cool and I think it may be sunny. On my trip down to get my bib I did not go on the race road, but it seems to be an area with lots of big, steep hills with flat areas around them. The race elevation profile shows only like two minor hills of less than 50 feet of height. Now, the land is not pancake flat and over distance it rises up and down, but the point to point course drops 200 feet, not significant when spread over 26 miles!

As I said 4 hours 10 minutes is qualifying for the Boston in my age group, but the cutoff time will be like 2 1/2 minutes faster. So I was hoping for like a 4:05 marathon, a 9:20 pace and it seems unlikely that I will achieve it based on my training and race times this year. .My HM would predict like a 4 hours 23 minute full marathon. I may see how it goes after I find a good pace. A few things in my favor - the flat course and the much cooler temperatures. Almost all my training has involved running up hills and warm to hot temperatures, although this summer was cooler than last year when there were many 9o degree days. I guess a realistic goal would be a 4:20 marathon, which is like a 10:00 pace, but I will be happy with anything under 4:40. This will be my 5th marathon and the only other one I have run beside the Long Island Marathon (also flat). My first Marathon was in '97 with a 4:28 time. My fastest in '98 with 4:10:44. The 90 degree weather had me walking much of the 2000 marathon with a 5:34 time and my last marathon was in 2004, almost 13 years ago, with a 4:35 time. That was done with my long runs being two 15 mile runs, which I thought were 18 mile but Google knows better, and this time I am better prepared with some 20 mile runs and lots of hill work.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Chantilly, sorry to heard of your fall and cracked rib, hope you recover soon! You are strong to still do some running and still plan for your race! The glass works at the end are glass jellyfish and the "rattlesnake" is just some colored glass at the bottom. I think I saw an article in Smithsonian about glass reproductions of sea creatures. I love pumpkin pies, but never made one from pumpkins! My favorite is Pecan pie, which my aunt in North Carolina used to make when she was still alive from a pecan tree in her yard. It tasted much better than the too sweet store ones!

Art in AZ

3 miles Friday morning just to get the body moving and blood flowing before the day started.
          5 miles this morning then a couple of hours in the yard. Having lunch now then I'll be going out again to get some more stuff done.

Chantilly - Sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you're OK. The walks help to keep us moving. A massage is always nice.

Rich - Nice couple of runs and bike ride. Now if those turkeys hang around. Are you planning any hunting this year? Having cooler temps to run in helps make the run more enjoyable. Yum to pumpkin pie. I should try planting some next time.

Dan - That early morning run sounded wonderful. To get an early morning sight like that here I would have to get up a little earlier.

Altair - So the weather will be cooler and that will help with your race. Nice pictures of the glass. I think it's pretty amazing what they can do to get the different colors and shapes when blowing glass. Just go out and run the best race you can and have a good time.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

az - congratulations on your great finish in the Hermit Pass HM! I calculate that you averaged over 300 feet elevation increase each mile until the turn around and if the first few were a gradual slope then it must have been very steep indeed for almost 5 miles!  Impressive that you were able to hike/jog up it and still end with a good time. Some cool light rain sounds good, glad that you avoided the distant lightning! How come you did not temporarily just get a cheap strap for your garmin or just carry it in your pocket?

HI Altair!  The strap broke right before our move but I did run with it with good old reliable duct tape, and it worked.  But on race morning, I TOTALLY forgot it altogether, just spaced it out.  So does that mean I didn't run it? HAHA!! Most of the 5 miles was pretty steep and ROCKY but I'm use to those type of terrain, I actually prefer those.  Keeps me engaged and justifies the race fees ........ in my reasoning at least.  I'm looking for another watch, without all the bells and whistles although an altimeter would be nice.  There is a Timex one that was reviewed in Runner's World. But will check out some at REI soon.  Not in any hurry.  I know most of these mountain trails distance anyway.

I'm so behind but will read the posts when I have more time .......and also more time on the computer in the library.  We are at our northern home on weekends and both houses are NOT internet connected yet.  Still settling in and the drive to and from DH's work facility takes about 2.5 one way. We have been moving some of the stuff from MN house to the northern AZ home ourselves, leaving less stuff at the new house since we consider that 'temporary' ..........for about 2.5 yrs. The unpacking and repacking is taking a lot of time. Will definitely be taking loads of stuff to Goodwill, part of my twice/yr de-cluttering.  Wish DH would do the same,

The work facility has a small fitness center which I finally went to on Thursday.

After my trail race on the 17th, took rest days due to traveling and getting house organized.

Fri, Sept 22:  5 miles on mountain trail, NICE temps.

Mon, Sept 25: 14 miles on mt trail, a bit breezy but temps in the low 60s.

Thurs, Sept 28:  6.1 miles on TM at fitness ctr, intervals.

Today, Sept 30: 10 miles on mountain trail, nice cool breeze but partly sunny.

az2mntrail Congratulations on your trail HM! Sounds tough. Nice AG win! I'll be in Albq a couple of days prior to the race. The Las Cruces race is not run by www.mainlymarathons anymore and I was a bit concerned about that.

DSS: did something stupid: I fell down the stairs with the laundry basket almost 2 weeks ago and fractured a rib.  After a few days of rest, I did some store walking, but today I walked on the track at a good pace for 50 minutes.  My MT worked on the sore/stiff back areas and it feels improved. I am all booked in to Duke City.  Lucky they don't have a time limit, so if needed I can walk most of it.

Chantilly:  OH MY GOODNESS!!   Sometimes we can't see over the laundry baskets, right?  I'm so sorry, that must have really hurt. Did DS help you to the hospital?  How long is the recovery for a fractured rib?  Glad that you can get in some walking, I'm sure you're sore as heck!  I have the Duke City marathon date on my calendar.  Would be wonderful to meet you.  Not sure if I will run, but if I do, it will probably be the HM event.  Sorry to hear about the Las Cruces. But that would be a smart move. I would be skeptical also if it's their first time running the event.

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/30... damp, dark and dreary day with light rain 'til 2:00 today.   It's not often I have to coax myself to get out the door and run, but today was one of those days.   Temp was 48 degrees when I headed out and a run that seemed like it'd be a chore to get through actually became enjoyable as the new form change finally started to 'click'.  Nothing special, but the splits for the last 2.5 miles were considerably quicker than they've been and made for a nice little surprise.

Ray... never judge a pumpkin by its canned brethren...  For a guy who's not averaging 60 miles a week, you sure do run a lot of miles...lol   Races?  Are you kidding me? lol   Yeah, I'll be running a couple of 5K's soon, but cringe when I think what my times will be.   You're running well lately, 100K a week, that's your goal...

Altair5... thoroughly enjoyed your pictures, the dog on your route looks like he wants to race...lol  I think you're going to like tomorrow's weather for your marathon better than today's, good luck and be proud, you've worked hard for this one.

Art... yes, there's a Fall turkey season here in NH and I plan to hunt.   It's a short season and everything's different in the Fall, but I love the time of year and even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, so hope springs eternal...lol   And by all means plant some pie pumpkins next year, it's amazing how much better a pie made with fresh pumpkins is.   They're a small pumpkin, a big one would be 8 inches in diameter.   Those little 3 milers are a great way to start the day, eh?

Chantill... we got rained out today, so we're headed for the orchard tomorrow.    You can either pick your own or buy what's already been picked.   My favorite thing to buy is their apple cider, it's not pasteurized and after it sets for a few days and starts to 'work', it's really good...lol   And yeah, that little dog was lost for 18 days, it's amazing that he survived, isn't it?   The way the story read, the owner had to actually run him down and grab him, probably made possible because of the injuries he suffered from the coyote...

az... things sounds pretty hectic, but you're still getting your workouts in.   Hang in there...

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Yea! Finished race. Net time 4:29:28.54, Gun time 4:32:37.33. 9/15 in division. 1164 out of 1846 finishers. Full race report to follow!