50 and over 5k and beyond

December Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

No run yesterday or today.  Temps haven't warmed up much.  Although sunny again with slight breeze, it's about -13 degrees with -31 windchill .   BRRRR!!  Even our dog doesn't like his short walks .  Stuck with health rider, weights and core exercises.  It's pretty though, winter wonderland.  So glad it's not windy.

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning to finish out the year. Sunny and cool enough that I ran in a short sleeve shirt. Planned on more but didn't feel right when running.

I think it's time to get a new pair of shoes. My last few runs in these Asics GT-2170s haven't felt that great. It sounds like I'm landing flat footed and no matter how much I concentrate on form it just doesn't feel good. These shoes are about a year old but only have about 300 miles on them. Low based on prior Asics. I don't have this issue when I run in my Brooks that have the same mileage.

Rich - Good luck with the training and I loved the picture. Reminded me of a couple of small towns I grew up in. Do we ever grow up?

Fletch - Hi. As for your runs I don't think it makes any difference. You can run the same course and distance three times and probably have different results for each one. I know you want to go faster and farther. We all do up to a certain point. Going faster and taking walk breaks is your body telling you it needs more practice and conditioning. Like the others have mentioned before it's better to build slowly and safely. Less chance of an injury. I go by what my body feels. So far I think I have done pretty well.

Dan, Chantilly, AZ, adkkev - Stay safe and warm out there. Being from Northern Illinois I can relate to minus degrees and wind chill. I do not miss that weather at all.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Fletch

Hi, Art.

Thanks for the feedback.  That's kinda what I figured.  I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, but I am determined to start 2014 enjoying the running more and worrying less about time and pace.  Planning to run my second 5k on February 22nd (started running in September, ran my first 5k December 7th with a time of 31:39). Originally hoped to finish that one around 28:00, but based on feedback here, I realize that may be a little too optimistic.  With my new year's outlook, I'll be happy just to run the race and finish.  I'll consider it a big bonus if I can turn in a sub 30.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 12/31

Another 4 miles on the skis today, only this time I skiid (is that how you spell it?) with a gang, there were 7 of us.   A bunch of misfits who get together every Tuesday for some sort of workout, usually a run, but this time of the year possibly XC skiing as well.   On occasion I go with them, I fit right in...lol

Az... You're probably active enough so you're not losing fitness, so that's a plus.   I feel your pain, it's frustrating when you want to go for a run, but it's not in the cards.   Hang in there!

Fletch... more good advice from Art.   I've a feeling you're going to have a good run in your next 5K, just keep plugging away.

No Art, I don't think we ever do grow up.  My grandkids tell me to keep doing what I'm doing, which is to Razz 'em every chance I get... lol

Chantilly75

azmntrail stay warm, sunny is good, though.

Art in AZ new shoes could be a late Christmas present for you

Fletch_NC when we're over 50, sometimes the body can't keep up to what our minds want to do.  That is why we try to be a little more conservative in our approach.  I have listened to too many people who tried too hard too soon, got sore/injured, then quit running.

NH Runner have fun with your friends out on the skis. Nice pix.

justrundan, gito57, adkkev, rmcj001 hope you all continue to have good running in the new year!

Happy New Years' Eve to everyone!

Last 2 days working/rest days, 3 miles done today.

total mileage this year was 1921 miles. Did not make my goal. But I get a new chance starting tomorrow!

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

7 windy snowy chilly miles this evening ... 1550 miles for the year.

Happy New Year everyone!!! 

rmcj001

Sorry for being quiet so long...

AZ - Sounds cold!  But, isn't that what Dreadmills are for?  As far as your 1/25/14 race, I'd say go for it, but don't sweat it.  Relax, do what you can and enjoy it!

Rich - That is just a beautiful picture!  I like the progress on the achilles, keep it up!

Fletch - Art is spot on.  Just keep it up and things will go well!

Dan - Is the streak almost done?  Hope you've kept more active this winter in pursuit...

Art - So good to hear from you.  New shoes might help.  Just replaced my 2 yo Nike Frees, got the 3.0 (they mostly for walking).  Still have my pair of VFF Komodos (1100+ miles) and my original VFF Bikilas (600m).  Did need to get some goo for the Komodos, we'll see how long I can make them work...

Adkkev - Getting the miles in!

Chantilly - Goal was 2k miles?  1921!  Girl you da man!  So true about staying health being the priority.

Today was my first run since last Sunday.  3.1 on the dreadmill in a nice 30:32 followed by 2.18 walking for a total of 5.28 in 1 hour.  Felt good to be doing something for a change.  Had a couple of health issues that were best checked out and doctors strongly recommended I take it a bit easier for a little while.  So that's what I'm doing.  Should be a bunch of walking and slightly less strenuous running for a little while.

So, for 2013 - 1597 miles, 16 races, 3 PRs - Full Marathon, 1/2 Marathon and 5K (over 50).

Happy New Year!

Ray

justrundan

Chantilly, Ray, adkkev-  each of your mileage accomplishments is awesome!    Way to go.  Inspiring.

2 miles this morning on the hotel TM to finish the year at 1028 miles, short of my 1200 mile goal.  I'll get it, and more, in 2014!

Happy New Year to all.  Run strong and safe into the new year!  

Dan

So thankful for each of you, all your encouragement is the ultimate motivation, here's to a more glorious new year!!

Wishing each of you and yours a very HAPPY, HEALTHY, SAFE AND JOYOUS 2014!!

Crazy Diamond

Hello all!  Coming up for air during the rush of the holiday.  You have all been so consistent and keep me inspired.  Wishing all the best for each of you in 2014!

Ray-Take care!  You battled injuries this year, but you prevailed.

AZ-Life threw plenty of challenges your way, and you never relented.

Dan-GREAT mileage this year, buddy!  It was wonderful running DCHM together in 2013.

adkkev-WTG on your awesome 1550 miles/year!  Your evening runs sound so tranquil!

Chantilly-Congratulations on your mileage total! 1921 miles for 2013 is truly inspiring!  Thanks for the reminder that tomorrow we begin again, only wiser.

Rich-Your workouts are so interesting and varied.  Keep the "never grow up" attitude, life's too short to be serious!

Fletch-You are doing awesome!  Your Feb. 5k is going to be great.

Art-Great to hear from you!  Always appreciate the wisdom you have to share.  Thought of you today, ran in 4 degree temps!

Sunday, ran 9 miles at the indoor track. Monday, 2 mile snowshoe on snowed covered bike path. Today, 10k race #3 of winter run series in interesting conditions.  Some snow, over ice, mixed with a little slush and a high of 4 degrees.  The RD adjusted the course due to unsafe conditions, so we did 5+ laps around the 1 mile auto race track.  The final .1 at the finish was a slight incline with sheer ice, pocked with ice-melt. Dug up an old pair of Brooks Defyance, because the PureFlows slip too much in wet conditions.  So happy I brought the YakTracks, too.  All the runners were very cautious, and the times reflected it.  My time was awful at 1:07, but I enjoy this series very much.  Great band, beer and great atmosphere at finish party.  Usually there are at least 16 ladies "of a certain age" in the 10k, but only the heartiest 6 showed up today!

Didn't meet my goal of 1200 miles for the year, but happy with 1036 miles.  If anyone would have told me five years ago I'd be running over a thousand miles in one year ... *head shakes in disbelief*   2014 is filled with possibilities!

Run safe, run strong, run fearless!

Quo Vadis?

I wanted to celebrate in the new year with a run.  Didn't think I would but I did!!  Another sunny blinding day but cold.

Start:  -7 degrees, 1 mph wind, feels like -7.  The high temp for the day!

Finished 5.2 miles.  Could have gone longer but frosty eyelashes made it challenging to keep eyes open .

End:  -10 degrees, 1 mph wind, feels like -11.

Ran around the quiet neighborhood, took it very slow, road plowed but sheet of ice made for slippery patches.

Once on dirt road, less traffic keeps area more snow packed, better traction.

3 layers top and bottom with new balaclava (gift from DH) that covers nose but keeps mouth area open, less fogging on sunglasses.

By the time I got home, I had 'icicles' forming around balaclava and cap.

Didn't get 'warm' but stayed cool throughout run.  Got out of running clothes asap to minimize chills.

BRRR!!

I can say I ran on New Year's Day, YAY!! 

Taking it day by day.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

gito57:  CONGRATS!!  That's a Great Finish considering.

Art in AZ:  I certainly won't miss this weather once we move back to the SW.  Until then, I'm gonna embrace it and whine less, LOL!!

Rich:  Gorgeous photo!!  Your skiing sounds like fun, good for you!!  DH found my XC skis and with my new snowshoes (gift from DH), I'm all set to 'embrace' this mid-west artic adventures ...........oh darn, I will be leaving for AZ on Saturday for a month!! 

Thanks Ray!  RE:  1/25 20k trail race:  I will "relax, do what I can and enjoy it"

Everyone:  So proud of your year's mileage!! WAY TO GO!!  I have no idea what mine is but I'm going to keep a record of it this year.