50 and over 5k and beyond

March 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 16 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 3/27... yesterday was an easy 3 mile recovery run and leg massage with the hopes of recovering enough to go longer again today.    Today's run ended up being another 10 miler over the same course I ran 2 days ago, but slightly quicker.... 9:24, 9:14, 9:04, 9:08, 9:03, 9:00, 8:58, 8:53, 8:45 and eased up the last mile in 9:35.    Happy with the progress I'm making, but leery about doing too much, so it'll be something easy tomorrow for sure...

Ray... naw, there's no need to end up a grouchy old man, of the top 3 guys in my age group in the last 5K I ran, 2 ran 20:-- and one 21:--.   That'll be you in a few years, you'll just adapt like those guys have...   Nice mileage lately!

Chantilly... Sim is such a snob when he's got his jacket on, he thinks he's the neighborhood Alpha dog I guess...lol    Less coughing is good, you're gaining!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Good progression there with the 10 mile distance.

8 miles this morning, then did some spring cleaning with furniture re-arranging.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

8 miles.  TRI group was there.  More spring cleaning today. A lot of dog walkers out this morning.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 3/28... 3 mile walk / jog with Sim on the railtrail today.   Trying this to see if it'll help me recover more quickly, it's like they say, the quicker you recover from one run, the quicker you can do the next one.

Chantilly... consistent 8 milers for you, not bad considering you just dealt with the flu for a month.   Good for you!   What's a TRI group?

Chantilly75

NH Runner Interesting how dogs will wear a sweater in the cold, but not those booties on their feet.  Recovery run after your 2-10 milers is a good idea in the spring.

The Triathlon training group yesterday was, I think, a beginners/sprint up to a 1/2 Ironman based on observing the participants.  There is a full Ironman group in the winter, also..  Both groups do Brick workouts, which is bike for x number of minutes, then run for x minutes, keep repeating for an hour or so. They bring their own bikes and set them up on stands.

Ran 4 miles.

Stationary bike 10 minutes.

Walked 1 mile.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 3/29... yesterday's attempted recovery run didn't amount to much, so today's run was an easy railtrail affair, didn't even bring the watch.    Early on my legs were dead, but snapped out of it with about 3 miles to go.   I needed 7 miles to get hit 40 for the week, so that's what I ran.

Chantilly... I can't even imagine being in shape to do an Ironman and admire the people who do, they're at a whole different level.    You're coming back nicely, good for you!

Art in AZ

Thursday-8 miles on the overpass route

Friday-5 miles

Saturday-4 miles before I headed out for some work

14 miles this morning. Started out cool with a good breeze going. Originally planned to do 13 but pushed on to get one more mile. Took a few walk breaks to drink and eat my grapes. Could feel the warmer weather towards the end. Heat wave going on right now. Tied a high record Saturday of 95 degrees and todays temp is predicted to be 96 degrees. We are 15 degrees above normal right now. But at least it's still a dry heat.

Rich - Your long run times look pretty good. Nice job on the 40 mile week.

Chantilly - Slowly coming back from the flu is good. Bet you're anxious to start running outside again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner 2-40mile weeks is good for the spring and it is wise to have those recovery runs and not get carried away with spring fever.

Lot's of dogs out walking yesterday afternoon, it was so nice, I went for a walk, too.

Art in AZ  Good runs for you in the heat.  Do you freeze grapes first or just take them loosely in a bag? That would be a treat.

8 miles plus some weights. Back to work tonight.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 3/30... another easy day today, 3 mile walk / jog on the railtrail.    We're in that time of year when it's Spring one day and Winter the next,  transitioning to warmer weather, but Winter doesn't want to let go just yet...   All that to say the footing on railtrail's lousy in places and it's caused be the snow melting and re-freezing.     People walk and run on it when it's soft, then when it freezes again, it's "slightly" less than perfect for running...

And I wanted to share this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFU-kXZXCwc  It's yoga stretches for runners that are not hard to do.    I tried them for the first time today and they're probably different from what you're used to, but definitely worth a try.

Art... thanks.   You're logging some serious miles yourself.    And I don't like the cold, but 95 degree heat would be tough.   You can dress for the cold, but you can only undress so much for the heat and still be legal...

Chantilly... I've been limping along "maintaining" all winter, now it's time to start running again...   Goal for now is to get my mileage to about 50 a week and see how I hold up training for the half marathon that's coming in June.    If that goes well, it'll be time to start training for a Fall marathon.     Solid training for you as usual, what re your goals heading into Spring?

Hi everyone!  Sorry for not posting much. Ray:  I'm still in AZ!!  Don't have internet at the AZ home or cable/satellite either but I don't mind being 'disconnected'.  DH flew in on Saturday, picked him up in Phoenix and we met up with our Grand Canyon HOG biker group for a BBQ at one of the bikers' home "in the valley." Most took off to enjoy the annual AZ Bike Week but we headed home to northern AZ.  After my second HM Trail run on Sat, 14th, I ran 7 miles on Tuesday (2 days later), rested Wed., then ran 8 miles on Thursday.  Right knee beginning to complain from fatigue/joint stress from all the trail running on my beloved mountain trails so decided to rest while visiting family/friends in NM.  I've resumed running since returning home to northern AZ between 4 - 10 miles.  DH and I are in Phoenix today for a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) and then we are heading back to northern AZ after.  Just finished a 6 mile run on the hotel TM while watching the women's NCAA game!  Not rooting for anyone in particular but LOVE the games!!  Bummer on the U of AZ loss but am 'kinda' rooting for Wisconsin.   We will be back in Phoenix on Friday for DH's EARLY flight on Saturday morning.  Then hauling my butt to north part of Phoenix for my 10K trail run!! Will report on the race asap.  All is going well. Nice temps in the 40s. 50s and 60s in northern AZ but just too darn TOASTY in Phoenix!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 3/31... 12 mile road run today, slowly trying to ramp up the miles.  The wind was blowing today with gusts to 20 mph, so the idea was to get the miles in and not be concerned with pace.   Splits were all over the place, but total time was 2:00:40, so roughly 10 minute miles and close enough.

az... I doubt you were planning on weather that was too "toasty" when you left Mn., eh? lol    Sounds like you're having a great time, good for you!   And good luck in the 10K trail run coming up!

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning. Weather felt warmer then normal for some reason starting off but felt cooler later in the run. Go figure.

Chantilly - I just throw the grapes in a bag and put it in my pocket. That way I can grab a couple while I run usually.

Rich - If you run in a place called Shangri La Ranch North of here, you can get a tan all over if you desired. Stretching can be helpful. So can a good massage.

AZ - The temps in Northern AZ sound nice compared to what we have down here right now. Too soon. Glad you're enjoying yourself while in Arizona. Good luck this Saturday. Looks like it's going to be a warm one.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ