50 and over 5k and beyond

April runs and workouts (Read 17 times)

adkkev

6.5 miles around town this evening ... cloudy, chilly, & windy, definitely not shorts weather!!

Nice running everyone!!!

Crazy Diamond

Fletch~now that was a sweet run!

Rich~nice recovery on the bike.  Thanks for the link to the VO2 max workout.  Definitely something I need to work on.

adkkev~great run in not-so-nice weather!

Tonight an easy 7 miles on the bike path and neighboring subdivision with some hills.  Last week every run was a struggle.  Today had to work hard to rein it in.  Went out too fast the first 2 miles. A hill around 2.5 miles slowed me down to easy pace for the remaining 4.5 miles.  42F, NE wind @10mph, glad a grabbed my knit gloves!  Incoming clouds made for a beautiful sunset.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Deb, adkkev:  despite the cooler temps, nice that you got some good strong mileage in, yay!!

Seriously!! Woke up our chimes going non-stop which is under our roof, no less, so when they're clanging away, it's pretty windy!!  It started/ended a depressingly dreary cloudy day, then it started to RAINED...... all day ...... which, can you believe this?!?  turned into SNOW!!  Yes, WAY!!  "It could be worse" is getting soooooo old!!    So just resigned to another REST day.

NH Runner

Thursday, 4/24... the "Plan" called for 7 miles today with the 5 in the middle at tempo pace, 1 mile warm up and cool down.   Ridiculous weather though with a 42 degree temp and wind gusts to 35 mph, so I decided to run the railtrail to escape at least some of the wind and just run by effort.    Tempo splits looked like this... 8:27, 8:19, 8:39, 9:09 and 8:46.   Close enough.    My son is now in Tennessee on the A.T. and posted the picture below of Clingmans Dome, the highest point on the trail

gito... your training's paying off!  Nice run!   I posted the VO2 max link to share info, not as a suggestion for you to try.   Your races, tempo runs and intervals do a nice job of increasing your VO2 max and they're really all you need.

adkkev... yup, winter's taking its sweet time leaving this year, isn't it?   Nice run!

az... keep smiling.    Good luck to everyone running the relay this weekend!

adkkev

Rich: Nice pic from your son!!  Hope he's having fun!!

3 miles for me today at lunch time ... ran around the "campus" at work.  WINDY, cool, but sunny.

SNOW, SNOW, SNOW all day .....temps 30 degrees, minimal wind about 8mph, cloudy.

Didn't want to run around the neighborhood with traffic throwing slush, snow ..... so finished 4 steady, easy miles on the bike trail.

Although completely covered with snow, it had enough traction and I was all by myself, yippee!!  Kinda cool to make the only tracks in the snow .  Afterwards, DH and I had a couple of hours of practice at the dance social with others, it was fun.

NH Runner

Friday, 4/25... 8 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail.   I picked the pace up after the turnaround and actually felt good, so I'm gaining.    Tomorrow's a day off, then a 14 miler @ 9:05 pace is next up on the schedule.    Getting anxious to be done with this training, but the half is still 5 weeks away...

adkkev... yes, my son's enjoying the A.T.    I'm glad he's doing it, he's making memories that'll last a lifetime.

az... your weather is crazy!     Good for you to get out for a run, even if it had to be in the snow...

adkkev

6+ mile run on the nature trail this afternoon followed by a 1.5 cool down walk with my wife.

az: Nice running despite the discouraging weather!!

rmcj001

AZ, Debra, JustRunDan - Good luck tomorrow!  Will be looking for the RR!

adkkev - Nice runs.  Weather seems to be cooperating just enough...

Rich - 14 miles for Sunday?  Enjoy it!

Monday, 7.2 @ 8:51/M - slow cuz tired from Sunday.

Tuesday, 7.8 @ 8:53/M - Legs still felt heavy and didn't want to push it.

Wednesday,, 8 @ 8:19/M - Wanted to work, but not too hard.

Thursday, 8.3 @ 8:30/M - Wanted in between run easier then Wed. but harder then Tuesday.

Friday, 5.6 @ 8:53/M - Just trying to keep legs loose.

Tomorrow is rest day and drive to SLO.  Sunday is SLO Half Marathon (first of the year for me).  If all works out will finish the week with exactly 50 miles 

Ray

justrundan

AZ & Debra are better at detailed RR.  I will just say that out team of 6, +3 support spouses/SO did a great job.  Forecast was for sunny, breezy, high 50.  We got cloudy, windy, never reached 40 until mid afternoon.  Despite that the team did the Run Away to the Bay, Oshkosh to Green Bary, 55.6 miles in 8h 47 min, good for 2nd in Masters-mixed division.  (Well, actually 3rd, but 1st place team should have been DQ'ed or put in different bracket, as they had a 20 something runner).  We made new friends, had a great time, and enjoyed the after race party in GB together.  The wind was in our face the entire route, and I felt it's toll during my second leg of the relay.  Very happy with pace for first 4.9 miles, about 9:38; next 5.4 miles was 10:45, had hoped to stay nearer 10, but I was gassed.  Not sure if I pushed too hard on the first leg, or didn't eat well enough between the legs,or just not adequately trained.  Or all three?  Debra and AZ were steadier and didn't have the OMG I'm dying look like I did at the end of my section.  I need to work on that    "finishing face"

Have a great week!

Dan

NH Runner

Dan... it sounds like you had a great time at the relay, good for you!   I enjoyed your abbreviated race report, but I'm not sure what we can do about a "Game Face."   Maybe a make-up job similar to the band "KISS?" 

I was up for a 14 miler today @ 9:05 pace, but did a "crash and burn" and bailed out at about 9 miles.   Things were going good early on, but by mile 6 my left achilles started to bother, so I did the sensible thing and slowed to a walk / jog.    I finished the 14 miles and recognize that bad runs happen, but it's still a little discouraging.

Can't wait to hear from Ray and the rest of the relayers...

Crazy Diamond

Run Away to the Bay 2014 - 55 mile relay from Oshkosh, WI to Green Bay, WI

Dan gathered a formidable team to run the 55 mile, 11 leg relay from Oshkosh, WI to Green Bay, WI. Friday evening, most of the team met at lovely hotel, drove to view the start line and then to dinner at a wonderful Italian bistro. We became better acquainted discussing our favorite pre-race meals and rituals. We returned to the hotel after dinner to meet AZ2MN and DH who made the 10-hr. drive from MN. Dan had awesome tech t-shirts printed with a stellar design by MKayc (our pal from Active.com) proclaiming our team name, “Tri-State Masters”. We also received a very nice Saucony tech SS race shirt.

Saturday morning, the weather was not ideal, but very familiar. Heavy cloud cover, temps were mid- 30F with a constant NE 15-20mph wind. The route runs south to northeast, so … the team faced the wind all day! At 7am Dan strongly led off the first leg of 4.8 miles. The rest of us headed to pick up some hot beverages and mega doses of caffeine! Then drove on to the first of 10 exchange points. Dan, AZ and others were kind to give those of us with races the weekend before / after the relay some of the lower mileage legs.  AZ is a very strong runner (no surprise!) and there is joy in every step she takes. You better watch out, 'cause she'll catch ya!! What a treat to watch her run.

Leg #5 was my first run. MKayc handed off the slap bracelet with the timing chip. My race leg was partially on city sidewalks and then country roads. My goal was to run under 9:45 – 10:00 pace to help us achieve our team goal of 55 miles under 9 hours. I probably should have warmed up a bit more as it took me a good mile to get into a rhythm. At 1.5 mile, a yellow Labrador dog ran out from a wooded area and bumped against me. Startled me a little, and I said, “Good boy” and he licked my fingers! Played it cool and continued on. The chilling wind was directly in my face as I ran the 3rd mile on the gravel shoulder. 3.4 miles/31:54/9:28 pace. Yes!

Leg #11 was the final leg. After the hand off, placed the slap bracelet on my right wrist. The 4.6 mile route was along the Fox River in the heart of city of Green Bay. The green towers of Lambeau Field, home of the Packers, was visible to the west. Occasionally there was shelter from the wind thanks to pine trees lining the asphalt path. The sun was beginning to break through the clouds and it was warming up. I decided to remove my stretch gloves. As I removed the glove on my right hand, I forgot about the timing bracelet. Duh! It flew off, coiled and rolled back toward the runner behind me. I desperately ran back to retrieve it, and remember shouting, “I need that!” Grabbed it, and continued on. The final mile weaved under a couple bridges and a pedestrian tunnel. The path was brick pavers, and made for a wobbly run due to the rounded tops. I was feeling beat, but could hear the music from the finish area. As I emerged from the tunnel, I saw the finish arch and saw my team mates waiting to join me as we completed out 55 miles journey. The clock read 8:47:??. TOGETHER we reached our goal of under 9 hours. Received our medals – cool, they spin! Garmin read 4.5/43:31/9:41 pace.

Enjoyed sandwich wraps, chips, fruit and beer post race as we filled each other in on our individual legs.

We were blessed to have the best support team EVER! Dan’s DW, AZ’s DH and another RA forum-ite’s SO (photographer extraordinaire) were along for the ride. They were as much a part of the team as the runners, generously providing transportation, water, gear changes, protection from the wind and most appreciated of all - levity, cheers and words of encouragement! We couldn’t have done it without them!

How wonderful to be able to run with some of my RA buddies! Good, solid people all around! So proud of everyone, especially AZ and MKayc, who traveled hundreds of miles to run together as a team. We’d love to have a double team next year, so check your calendars folks!!!!

We ran strong, and had lots of fun!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

adkkev - nice, consistent work.  Good stretch of runs.

Ray - Nice stretch for you, too.  Hope your HM went well.

Rich - Don't get too discouraged about your 14 miler.  Your training has gone well.  Hope your Achilles lets you get back on track soon.

Dan, Az, Debra - Enjoyed the race reports.  Great job on the relay!  That sounds like it was really fun.  Good job putting together a team that pulled together and finished with a really good time.  Congrats!

My schedule is still REALLY hectic.  Didn't get to run Friday or Saturday because of our big Charity Auction fundraiser for Relay for Life.  Between that, and obligations at the radio station for a big spring festival this past Saturday, I barely had time to sleep...and not much of that (total of about 10 hours sleep over the 3 day period, Thursday - Saturday).  Finally got out Sunday for a much-needed stress-relief run.  But my body was really worn down from the work load, plus the lack of sleep.  And it was about 80 degrees when I ran (since I just started running in September, this is my first "warm season" - it's going to take some adjustment).  Managed about 4 miles, but I think it was the toughest 4 miles I've ever done, and not very fast, either.  Luckily, I was able to get some rest yesterday after the run, and a pretty good night's sleep last night.  Had another go at it this morning, with much better results - 3.4 miles at 8:42 pace.

Have a nice week, everyone!

adkkev

Az, Dan, & Debra: GREAT relay run!!!

Rich: wise move to slow it down when your Achilles started to bother you ...

AFM, no running on Sat & Sun ... spent Saturday cleaning out our attic (wow, you really do accumulate a lot of stuff over the course of 2 kids & 40 yrs of marriage!!) & then Sunday we just chilled out with a day at the movies & out to dinner.

Squeezed in 3.7 miles today around the "campus" at work during lunch break.  Sunny, a bit breezy, and maybe 50 degrees.

adkkev

Another 4 miles around town this evening as the sun set ... mixed in a lot of hills along the way.