50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Wednesday, 8/26... 4 mile railtrail run, easy...

Thursday, 8/27... 1.5 mile railtrail walk with Sim.    Wife's brother has been visiting from California for a week, keeping me busy playing golf and other fun things, so running has taken.    He leaves tomorrow morning, so life should get back to more normal routine.

Friday, 8/28... 7 mile railtrail run today.   Pace was a little quicker so I'm gaining.

az... I think for smaller gardens, boxes are the way to go.   I've covered a 20 X 15 foot section of my yard with black plastic, the first step in starting a new garden.    The plastic kills the grass, then it's tilled into the soil along with Lime and whatever you're using for fertilizer.    Nice workouts lately!

Ray... judging by your latest runs, I'd say you're back!    Nice, solid runs already, good for you!    A tiller just like the one in the picture I posted just got listed on Craigslist for $850.00, considering I bought mine for $125.00, I'm doing pretty good...lol

Art in AZ

Wednesday and Thursday off because of work.

5 miles this morning. Temps felt a little cooler but still somewhat humid feeling out.

AZ - I see the weather has been up and down there. Pretty soon it will be down for a while.

Ray - Nice runs progressing there. looks like you'll be back in shape for those events next month.

Rich - If you decide to sell the rototiller you'll definitely make your money back. Good deal.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

rmcj001 That is pretty hot for you isn't it? Do you run in any other shoes besides VFF's?

NH Runner Hope you had a nice visit with BIL. I should use some of that black plastic.  My garden area has too much grass creeping in and I can't keep up.

az2mntrail Through the woods would be a nice run. Are you getting any of the smoke? Sounds hot and humid there, yet.

Art in AZ  Hope it cools off a bit more for you. If you don't like to swim, there are duathlons in AZ (bike and ride)

3 miles.  Still having sciatic pain and don't feel like running much. Air advisory today. (smoke from the fires in Washington state.)

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning followed by a few hours of yard work before deciding to quit for the day. Too hot out. Going to the grandkids football game tonight at 6:00. I'll be looking for some shade before the sun starts setting.

Chantilly - I've looked at a couple of duathlons here. I want to see one before I decide because I have thought of doing one. Just to say I did one. Hopefully the wind will change direction for you.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Ray:  "he's baaack!!"  Great solid runs there, albeit "short" for you but then there's the temp to keep in mind.  So which shoe are you getting this time?

NH:  You made out like a bandit!!  I don't know which I'm impressed with more: the 'savings' or your run!!  LOL!! Good job!! Will keep your suggestion in mind about my wishful garden.

Art:  Duathlon is on my 'bucket list' too .......I can swim but I'm not a swimmer.  I am trying NOT to complain too much about the summer heat/humidity becuz winters have been brutal lately.  Although, predicted 'less severe' winter this year due to El Nino ......will have to wait to believe that.  Hey, you are getting some consistent runs in despite the work days.

Chantilly:  darn those weeds!!  And that sciatic pain.  Sounds painful.  Hope you feel better soon.  We've noticed that the sky has been more 'hazy' looking and we can only contribute it to the smoke from the fires out west.  At least we can breathe in it.  DH said it was horrendous when he was in Oregon/Washington last week.

adkkev:  hope all is well.

So ran 10 miles on Friday.

Today, met up with group trail runners, just 5 of us, at the state park this morning at 9.  Three of us are training for a 50K, one is training for a 50 miler and another is training for a 100 miler!!  Today was short recovery runs for them.  About 68 degrees already, 65% humidity, slight breeze, hazy/sunny.  Ran 4.2 miles on paved road, then 4.3 miles on grassy/dirt trails, total miles:  8.5.  YAY!!  Soaked but I felt great!!  Drove home, showered and rode my Harley bike to the car show to meet DH for lunch.  We will be meeting with some friend's to watch the Vikings game this evening.  So week's mileage is 42 miles, yippee!!  DD's birthday today!!  Smile  Miss her and the two granddaughters. Sad  Can't wait to go back home to the SW, only 2 wks to go!!  Planning on meeting with trail running buddy tomorrow morning for a short run.

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/28... much better run today, fitness is coming back, but not quick enough for me to run the covered bridges half here in NH this weekend.    The course actually takes you through 4 covered bridges and I really wanted to run it, but racing before I'm ready has a way of getting me in trouble with injuries.    Anyway, 6 mile run today, first 2 on the railtrail, then onto the pavement for another 4.    Mile 3 was a lot of mild uphill, easy first mile warm up...11:30, 9:32, 9:24, 8:38, 8:28 and 8:36.

Art... I'm having fun cruising Craigslist looking for buys, it's amazing what's out there.   Hope you found some shade for the grandkid's ball game!

Chantilly... my vegetarian buddy is my go-to guy for all things gardening.    He'll eat fish and eggs, but that's it for animal products, so he and his wife know how to garden.    He's telling to leave the plastic in place 'til the first frost, then till in lime and fertilizer, that's it 'til spring.    I've "peaked" under the plastic and the grass is already in trouble, but far from dead yet.    Hang in there with the Sciatica, it can be kind' a hard to get rid of.

az... you're running with some serious athletes!    What's neat is you fit right in...

justrundan

AZ- The motorcycle ride was VERY fun last weekend.  The shorter rides in northern WI on the county roads were beautiful!  Riding in rain is no fun, but I have some pretty good wet weather gear, mostly from a company in Duluth, you should check it out when in that area.

http://www.aerostich.com/

You've continued your great running, nice job!

Ray- I don't know how you run in that heat!  My hat is off to you and all the runners in the west/south parts of the country.

Tried to stimulate my running by getting new Brooks, current pair had about 575 mi on them.  I've had Ghost 6x 3 pairs and like them a lot. The now have the Ghost 8's, so I got 2 pair of the 7's on sale at 35% discount.  Figure I'll rotate them to make them last longer.  Of course, if my mileage doesn't pick up pretty soon, they'll have the Ghost 10's out by the time I need a new pair. 

Did get in a slow 9.5 yesterday after 3.5 Thursday.

You all have a great weekend.

Dan

Met trail running buddy at her place this morning around 10 am instead of 8 am.  They were driving back home and her DH just couldn't get up early.  Anyway, it's already 70 degrees, 67% humidity and barely a breeze when we started.  Sunny/hazy.  She is battling pretty severe tightness in left calf but feels okay on flat terrain so we stayed on flat paved/dirt trails.  She is so much faster than I am and her 'easy pace' pushes me, LOL!!  We finished 6 miles.  She's tapering now for her upcoming trail marathon in two weeks.

NH:  no kidding!!  Some bada#$ trail runners I was with yesterday; totally felt like a 'rookie' but it's awesome company to hang out with for a run!!  LOVE IT!!  You are improving really well, those splits are great!!  Bummer that you won't run in the upcoming HM.  You probably could if you run/walk/run.

Dan:  my short harley ride yesterday was nice ...warm but slight breeze made a difference......met DH for lunch at car show about 45 mins north of us. Glad your ride was enjoyable, great weather to ride in lately.  I have rain gear (from H-D) that has a top and bottom which I prefer instead of a one piece. Will check out the website, thanks!  Great runs two days in a row!!  "Time on feet" is my focus now for upcoming races. I use that 'strategy' for buying trail shoes too.  Right now, I have two pairs of spanking new Cascadias that are itching to be worn but I have 3 pairs of trail running shoes that I rotate and they still feel great after putting some long serious miles on them.  I am still trying to get a good pair of road shoes though.  I did like the new Brooks Ghost and Launch.  I have to put them on hold for now though since I already made my big purchase of the hydration vest and larger hand-held water bottle. 

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  Time for a bagel run(bike) pretty soon? Hope the football game was fun for all.

az2mntrail Nice to have a trail buddy to give you a little push once in awhile. That's like 3 car shows you've been to.  Do the same owners travel around to show off their cars or are many of the vehicles different?

justrundan 9.5 miles is a good distance. I have the Ghost 7's.  I like them better than the 5's.

NH Runner Too bad you're missing out on the covered bridges race, but probably wise to take it a bit easier for now.

Did you roto-till anything yet?

5 miles on the track.  Still smoky here a bit.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Was going to do a long run this morning and see how it went. Well after about 7 miles was just about out of water so decided to do the 8 loop and stop back at the house and refill my water bottles. About 15 minutes later was back out the door and was debating doing 3 or 5 miles. Felt good at the 2.5 point so didn't turn back and decided to go for 5. Should have went home for the 3 miles instead. About 3.25 miles felt tired and hot so walked a while, then ran, walk, run, walk and run to finish. So I figure 13 miles in total but there was a lot of walking involved towards the end.

So for the football game last night. Let's say the evening was interesting. One had a game at 5:00 and the other had his at 7:00. Well the 5:00 game didn't start until around 6:00 because the teams before them went into double overtime before the winner prevailed. Game was close with them down by 6 points. about 4 mintes left in the game grandson catches the punt running under the ball towards the opposite goal before he turns around and picks up a few yards before being tackled. It was a real good catch. While lining up it starts to rain a little. The sky is dark and filled with dark clouds, wind picking up and thunder. They managed to get down field and score and get the extra point. They're ahead by one. Time runs out and they win. Rain coming down a little harder. We leave with this grandson and about 5 minutes later it starts pouring. Like cats and dogs. Lighting all over and lots of thunder. Winds pick up and so does the rain. Few minutes from home and the wind really pickups up. To the point that the rain is coming down sideways. And I notice that the area looks dark. Yep, the power is out. Flashing lights block the road ahead and cars turning around. So we do the same and take a different route. Weather hasn't let up. Pass one, no two no three trees down blocking the other side of the road. Now we see 2 power poles down. And what looks like probably a couple of metal roofs from the mobile home subdivision. And parts of trees all over. What should have been a 2 minute trip from when we turned around took 15 minutes. Get home and the power is out. Did not come back on until a little after 2:00. Making for an uncomfortable sleep until the power came back on. So we finally got our rain here.

AZ - Nice to have running partners like that to help push us a little sometimes. Wait till you get here. You'll trade one kind of hot and humid for another.

Rich - Nice runs there. Slowly getting back in running shape. That's good. Too bad about missing the half though.

Dan - Nice couple of runs. Shoes can be a funny thing sometimes. I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS for quite a while. The 14s I have feel good. The 15s I have now I have noticed that my big toes are starting to rub and get sore when I wear them for a run. They were fine in the beginning and have about 150 miles on them. I'll have to try my new 15s and see how they feel. I also have a Saucony Guide 7 and Omni 13. I am really liking the Glide 7. Feels real comfortable. The Omni 13 feels good like my GTS 14.

Chantilly - I was thinking of a bagel run but opted for a long run instead. That and the grandsons wanted something else for breakfast. Next weekend looks real good right now. Hope your pain goes away soon.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/30... 6 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail, easy, recovery pace.

Monday, 8/31... 1.5 mile walk with Sim early, then a 6 mile railtrail run.    The railtrail's great for running in the shade on a hot, humid day like today, but the footing leaves a lot to be desired, just can't push the pace as much as I'd like sometimes, but a good workout just the same...

Dan... it's not the mileage you want, but you're still maintaining just fine...

az... don't sell yourself short, if you're running with the Big Dogs, that makes you a Big Dog...     Nice run with your buddy, has anyone figured out what makes us runners stiff?   Driving me nuts lately...

Chantilly... I couldn't take it any longer, so yesterday rolled back the plastic where the garden's going, broke out the rototiller and tilled one row just for fun.    I'm impressed, that thing broke up the soil like it was nothing.    I'm supposed to wait 'til the grass is dead, so stopped with just the one row and put everything back the way it was.     Really looking forward to next spring now.     Nice 5 miles, has the Sciatica let up yet?

Art... I think it's when we get out of our comfort zone that we do the most good to gain fitness, that 13 miler will pay dividends down the road.   Crazy weather after the grandkids' games, eh?    The last time we lost power, I broke out the portable generator I'd bought just for the occasion.   Felt like a Big Shot 'til the dern thing wouldn't start, seems I stored it wrong and carburetor got clogged up...

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  Nice 13 miles done. That was quite the storm! Glad everyone got home ok.

NH Runner Now you know your tiller works. Nice running and biking on your rail trail.

Ran 1 mile, then did 1 1/2 hours of yard work. Still lots of thistles and dandelions to pull. No smoke today.

Sonata Arctica