50 and over 5k and beyond

October 2016 Runs & Workouts (Read 8 times)

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Sorry to hear of your accident and resulting set-back. It is good that you have returned to your usual running now without lasting damage.  Hope you have a good race.  Nice to hear that you and your wife got into the Boston to Big Sur challenge.

Art in AZ Good luck this w/e! Hope it cools down. Does your wife make clothes? I learned how in Home Ec, but gave it up in my late 20's.  Nice hobby.

No run yesterday/work.

11 miles plus 10 minutes stationary bike.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH:  you are doing much better. And all that talk about your cooking has me wanting to try your recipes!! They sound yummy!! The temps are so much cooler and dreary w/ all the clouds/rain compared to NM/AZ for the last 6 wks.

Art:  Good luck this weekend and next weekend!!  DH and I met while working at PIMC dental years ago. I was down in Phoenix area (Mesa and Tempe) visiting friends and family for two weekends. Evening temps were wonderful!! Last Friday 'hacking' of some areas is one of the reasons why I don't want to be too plugged in. Very smart of you to keep things from being all connected.  Awesome training mileage!!

Chantilly:  snow already!! Who are these "pension people?" that bummed you out from running?  LOL!! Your friend is an inspiration!! Does your friend have a goal of running in different countries?

Dan: was off the grid for awhile and it feels great.  I don't miss it at all. I'm running less than you are!! How did your appt go? LOL!!

Art in AZ

3 mile walk this morning. Picked up bib and shirt late morning. Nice looking shirt. Ready to go.

AZ - Too bad your knee acted up but I'm glad it didn't get worse. Taking time off to give yourself a good rest will help getting ready for next year. Yes the evenings are nice since the sun sets a little earlier. Makes it nice sitting outside for dinner or afterwards.

Chantilly - Good run. Wife occasionally made clothes for the grand-daughters. Now they are kind of picky about what they want to wear.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Chantilly - nice run today! B2B-2 (B2B will always be Bay to Breakers for me!) should be interesting, expensive - but, interesting ;-)

Art - I like the walks! Good luck tomorrow!

Az - I've never been one to miss home that much, not that I've ever gone that far away, but I'm more of a home body. Just remember, wherever you go, there you are...Sorry, about your knee - they're a cantankerous sort at times.

8.2 miles yesterday evening and 5.2 today - both, followed by walks. Managed to squeeze my runs in between showers. No one is sure what "la niña" will do this year, I think south is supposed to be dryer and north of us is supposed to be wetter and here in N. Ca. about average. Tho, I think at this point we're just a bit ahead. Not sure how I should take it knowing that SOD (sudden oak disease) spreads more quickly when it is wet. The upside to the drought is we didn't lose as many trees as we could have...

Ray

justrundan

Ray-  So THAT'S where you've been!   Ouch!  At least she said she was sorry!      Sounds like you did a good job of letting it heal if you caught up with the bunny.   If I had to catch up with the bunny before I posted you wouldn't hear from me until 1/1/17. 

Art- good luck tomorrow, hopefully the cooler weather arrives for you.

Chantilly-  DW is about 95% sure she is retiring at end of this school year.  We are meeting with advisor next Friday to review the numbers and figure out best timing for her pension and SS  to begin.  Good luck with your decisions!

Rich- no snowflakes here yet; we had 3" of rain Wednesday and night, so glad THAT wasn't snow!  Temps still up and down, up today and tomorrow.

AZ-  So you're 'shutting it down' for the next few months?  Sounds like a good idea with the amount of trouble it is causing you.   I have yet to see PT about my 'pain in the butt', the one I wanted to see does not work on Fridays, the best day for me to go.  I may be spending most of the next few months concentrating on that and not much running.

very short runs last 3d, hoping for longer one tomorrow.  Still not registered for the 10K next Saturday, will be a day before decision I guess.

Dan

Ray:  good to hear from you but bummer that you had to wait out an injury.  Welcome aboard, LOL!! However, it sounds like you took immediate care and time-off, so much smarter idea than I had, haha!! Glad you are back and getting up some mileage.  What a great goal for your upcoming races.  Good luck to you and DW.

Art:  hope the race went well.

Dan:  with your endless work schedule, it will be tough to get in for a doc's visit, I'm sure.  Yeah, I think I will just allow some time for healing.  I will get in for a re-evaluation although I'm not impressed with this ortho doc who doesn't seem to listen to my description and site of injury. Maybe we can see who gives in first for a doc's visit, haha!! DW has my praise for her being in the profession for so long.  Any big retirement plans? celebrations?

Chantilly:  I learned to sew w/ my mom's OLD sewing machine (w/ the pedal) and she promised me she would give that to me.  I use to sew alot but just seemed to lose interest due to other life's interruptions.  People love to quilt around here and they are beautiful w/ creative designs, so much time but it's such a unique skill. I gotta start on my cycling like you are.  Great miles and cycling!!

NH:  Fall temps are definitely everyday here from now on, I"m sure.  How long will you be riding the tryke?

So I have a "could have been worse" kinda news.  We had dinner with friends last night.  DH knows I don't like driving at night but we ended up  at a backwoods bar and grill. We left around 9 pm.  I'm driving and wanted to stay on main road but DH said to take a different route where I know the trees are closer to the road and I mentioned animal crossings.  That scares me alot.  But all the 'what ifs' do not change the outcome.  Anyway, so I slow down, going less than 50 mph (speed limit is 55).  Out of nowhere, a deer leaps across!!   Are you kidding me?!? I know/hear about this alot around here.  It happened so FAST!!  Slammed on the brakes but it hit the front end. Airbags deploy including the ones in the feet/leg area.  I didn't know about them.  We are in the midst of the mist from the airbags which has the most awful odor!!  We got out and checked for injuries.  I'm shocked but snap out of it when I see the damage.  DH is swearing at the deer!!  The deer is on the side of the ditch near the trees.  Still alive apparently which we didn't know till a few minutes later.  A truck going the other way stopped immediately.  He was a first responder!! What are the odds?!? He asked the right questions and called the sheriff.  Two vehicles stopped also.  The police must have been close, they were at the scene within minutes.  One of the couples that stopped recognized DH from work.  Her DH had a towing service so he drove it there within minutes, they lived nearby!! Another neighbor had to shoot the deer twice.  I'm still stunned checking out the damage.  WE ARE SO LUCKY!! My poor car.  It's only a car I know.  DH kept apologizing.  Earlier in the day, we were talking about possibly trading in my car due to the mileage after driving to/from AZ. How ironic is that?!?  After our statement and photos, the tow truck driver dropped the car at a collision place nearby and drove us home.  DH feels fine but we both felt the strange sensation like a wide whip on our shins from the airbag at our feet.  He's okay but I have the most awful huge bruise from ankle to knee on shin and calf.  The same leg that is 'injured.'  Poor leg. I iced it for an hour when we got home. Restless sleep.  Kept seeing the deer in my dreams. Yes, we may feel more of the after effects in the days to come but so far, we both feel okay, no soreness. After driving thousands of miles, I proved that most accidents do occur within 25 miles to your home.  We are good though and very grateful.

Art in AZ

Ray - Nice couple of runs in between the rain. Makes for cooler weather but the humidity goes up. I haven't heard of the predictions for us concerning the la nina pattern. I do know we could use the rain if it gets here because we didn't see much this year so far where I am at. The West side of the valley has done better this year.

Dan - Even those short runs are good. Hopefully things will go well and you get to run in the 10K.

AZ - Thank goodness you and husband are OK except for the bruises. I didn't know about the airbags in the foot well area. Learned something new today. I have seen a number of deer/car accidents while a police officer in Illinois. Interesting the type and severity of damage to the car and occupants depending on where the animal gets hit. Saw one where the big deer went over the top causing damage all over until landing on the road behind the car. Just from your description it sounds like the insurance company will total the car. But importantly you both are fine. Now you really should rest for a while.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Red Mountain Half report

The weather was good at the start of the race. Definitely a little cooler with all the fields around. Race started at 6:30 AM with a small crowd. Turned out to be 84 runners total running individually. Their were several 4 people relay teams. Off we go and find what I think is a good pace. Course was well marked, flat and on pavement and dirt road between the fields. Saw several fields of cotton and a couple of what looked like broccoli. As usual everyone was running in their place. Approaching the halfway point I see runners coming towards us. Counted and it looked like I was 16th. Not bad I thought. Sun is up now and you can feel the temps warming up. I finally pass a runner only to be passed a few seconds later. I did miss mile markers. Not seeing any made it hard for me to guess where I was. I'm guessing but around the 10 - 11 mile area I start feeling tired. Not terribly, just a small nagging feeling where I think I'm running a little slower. See the high school and realize about 1 1/2 miles to go. I am able to pass a couple of runners ahead of me but get passed by a couple also. Then I see the bibs on these runners and realize they are in the relay. No wonder they look so fresh. They haven't ran for that long. Make the final turn and try to pass another runner but didn't have enough distance. Time was 1:48:34. So a good time for the course and ended up 13th overall. So I accomplished my goal of beating my time in last year's Haunted Half. Now if I can repeat this next Sunday I will be happy.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Our weather was wet and cold the last 2 days and I took both days off because of it...  No snow here, temps were a little too warm, but a Vermont town 30 miles from here got close to 6 inches.   Anyway...

Sunday, 10/30... 10 mile tryke ride on the roads today.   I started out with the idea of riding the railtrail, but with all the rain we've had, the footing was just too soft.    Today's ride brings Isabell's total miles to 506.   That's a lot of rowing! lol  My upper body likes it though, much more fit since I took up rowing...

Ray... you ol' Rascal!  Welcome back!  Should have known your absence had something to do with mileage, eh?   Good to see you posting again!   Still running like the wind as well, good stuff!    The collision with the kid on the bike ended about as well as it could have, you did well to get back at it as quick as you did.

Az... you too, good to see you posting again!   Man, that must have been scary hitting the deer, but the important thing is you and DH are ok.    We have moose here and a collision with one can be really dangerous, their legs are long enough so that their body ends up going through the windshield lots of times.   And yeah, I'm doing better running wise, but still less than 100%.   This planned rest will hopefully cure what ails you, I know I don't have to tell you how frustrating an injury can be.    I can post the beef stew recipe if you'd like, real simple and good.

Dan... you're logging consistent miles lately.   I've read all you need is 10 miles a week to maintain, it looks like you're doing that and then some...

Chantilly... I didn't post it here, but after Wednesday's fun filled 5 miler, I went right out and ran the same run again Thursday...lol  It ended up being a little too much, but I'm back on track again.    You'd think at my age I'd learn...   Nice mileage the last couple of runs, you still got it Chantilly!

Art... Excellent time in the half Art, you're pretty fast for an old guy!   The smart training leading up to race day paid off, eh?

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning starting another taper week for Sunday's half. Weather is back to normal for this time of year.

Yesterday was a day of frustration. Planned on a bike ride for a recovery. Bike was ready a couple of days ago. Checked front tire and it was flat. What the heck. Didn't have any spares so went and got a new tube and a patch kit. Found hole, cleaned it and applied patch. Tire held air so started my ride. Not today. Got a half mile away and pop. Tire goes flat. Grumbling I walk back to the house.  Take tube out and sure enough the patch failed. Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to patch the other tube and see how that would work. So after patching that tube and putting it on the bike I rode around the area for a couple of miles and the tube held. Of course now it was almost noon so I put the bike back to ride another day. Checked the tire before this morning's run and all was good.

Rich - The tryke has been a good friend to you. It certainly helps to be able to mix up the exercises. So you dodged the snow this time around.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Art - Nice Race and report!  The bike situation, not fun - I always have problems with flat tires when trying to repair them. I remember as a youngster running in to goat heads. Think I repaired the tube 3 times before realizing had to check the tire and remove the goat heads! Now it is a matter of getting the high pressure tires on w/o slicing the tube with the tire pry...

Dan - Well, if I disappear for awhile, you'll know why...I'd vote for doing the 10K - ready or not. Good luck if you do!

Chantilly - Don't let work get in the way so much! 

Rich - Are we going to have to start calling you Arnold? I keep thinking I need to work on keeping the rest of my body in shape, but rowing seems like such work!  Having the tryke must keep it fresh. 506 miles is pretty cool too!

Az - OMG!!!  So glad that you and DH are both well!  35 years ago saw a Great Dane running across road, but didn't see the trailing Great Dane. Slammed on the brakes, but just clipped him at 50mph, the sight of him flying through the air will forever be burned in my memory. Took him to the local vet, but hip was smashed and he had to be euthanized .  Smacking into a much larger deer, well I can only imagine how scary that is/was.

Quick report on Halloween half: Saturday we had a break in the storms and things were fairly dry, but a little on the warm side with temp around 61F at start (ok, not warm for Art) and fairly humid. This race is where I do most of my running and I thought we would be taking a fairly direct line up Los Gatos creek to the Lexington reservoir around 6.5 miles from the start. That would be a slightly uphill run with the last 1/2 mile rising about 300 feet. That's what I thought. Race starts and I'm moving along at good clip, but trying to keep it more evenly paced anticipating the climb near the turn around.  There isn't much passing after mile 1 except for a 20-something who keeps trading spots with me until mile 3. At 4.5 miles we veer off the course I'm expecting and head up St. Joseph's Hill (part of open space district) and I go "uh, oh" this will be much steeper and higher then I expect. At mile 5, I kind of say to myself - no use killing it, don't want to jeopardize marathon in 2 weeks and start walking, fully expecting those people behind me to pass me. I'm completely by myself now and I'm starting to wonder if I somehow got off track, but I'm still seeing the ribbon markers. At mile 6, I finally see runners returning.  Finish the climb up and then it is a steep descent to the aid station/turn around. I get to the aid station and ask for a coke, grab a chip and some banana while they pour the coke. Start back up the steep incline and finally see racers heading to turnaround. Get to the top and start the mile long descent.  While we're on a fire road things are relatively fast, but there are quite a few hikers and non-race runners too. Then I hit the single track section and there are some wet sections here, still with random hikers. A couple of times my landing foot starts to slide out and the people going the other way gasp, but both times foot finally caught and I continued on. Around mile 9, a 20-something woman catches up to me and she says I'm looking good and I reply I'm going slower then I should be. She signed up for the full marathon, but she is probably going to just do the 1/2. I wish her good luck as she goes by. For the rest of the race I just keep her insight. Around mile 12 she passes a runner and I'm thinking I should catch them too. Right at mile 13 I finally do and then it is final sprint (ok, fast jog) to the finish.

Ended up with about 1000' of elevation gain (ok, net 0), 10th overall, 8th male and 1st AG and time of 1:50:18.

Sunday turned into a URD. DW and I ended up hiking in the pouring rain for a couple of hours. Waterfalls were worth it!

Monday, ran while all the kids were trick-or-treating. 6.2 miles with a slight mist for first 20 minutes.

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 10/31... 10 mile railtrail mtn bike ride...

Tuesday, 11/1... yeah, I know, it's a new month.    6 mile railtrail run today.   Not bad, no-one walking caught me from behind...lol   Heel seemed happy too, life's good...

Art... my success rate patching bike tubes is similar to yours...lol   I've got a knack also of patching a tube, have it hold air for a few days before it goes flat again.   It's fun though and keeps us guessing if we'll get through the next ride without walking...lol  Looking forward to this coming week's half, you're running really well...

Ray... no Arnold here, but I'm a little more ripped lately than Popeye's girlfriend Olive Oyl. lol   Tough course for the half, a 1,000 feet of elevation gain ain't no cake walk, nice race!