50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Late post so will keep it short:  6.1 miles, 1:05.  4 days of running done as planned, MPW:  24.4, yay!!  Rode harley bike this morning, then switched to truck to meet with DH's dad in Grand Forks, ND (about halfway from our MN home) to drop off our dog (DH's sister will take care of him while we are in AZ).  Came home, and took off on dirt road (some areas pretty sandy) with DH on dirt bike to keep me company.  Feel safer with him riding up and down the dirt road.  Wanted to run about 8-10 miles but it started to get dark.  Most of the dirt road is shaded.  This time, I ran all way to lake where we were lucky to see a couple of eagles!!

WDWRich

Hi All,

Just got back from my doctor appointment.  He confirmed the Achilles tendonitis (fortunately no tears).  Himself a HM runner, he understands my frustration at not being able to train.  He gave me an exercise and stretching regimen to do and sent me to the podiatry department where I was fitted for inserts for my shoes.  The doctor wants me to contact him in 2 weeks to discuss progress.  I did get 14 miles in on my bike on Saturday morning and 30 minutes on an elliptical machine today.  Neither is the same a running, but at least I can get some cardio and leg work.  I've also upped my strength training at the gym.  Probably won't help the running issue but at least it makes me feel a bit better.

Did any of you run races this weekend?  if so, would love to see a race report.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Art in AZ

Rich - Good news that it is not torn. Hopefully it will heal quick. I think biking helps me with the running. Especially if you can add some decent elevation change to your route.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

Art - Thanks for the biking tip.  I do have some substantial hills in my area.  I did include one this past Saturday and as I get more acclimated to my bike, I'll add some more.  Really does get the cardio going!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Well, took friend's suggestion to try the 'easy 5k trail' but turned out it was part of state park and there's a fee.  Not surprised but don't want to pay each time and even the annual fee is not worth the drive.  So, I decided to try to find the 'other' trail that DH's friend keeps mentioning and somehow I found it.  Big grin I loved it!! PERFECT!!! Single track and it was great!! Cool Up and down small hills, mostly soft packed dirt with many loops, exposed roots, a couple of planks over areas where a small stream seems to flow, but distance isn't very far.  Met only 3 mtn bikers.  I ran around the main loop which is about 1.75 mile one way; then I ran the other way.  After 8 miles, got curious and I went on the cross country skiing trail (more of a dirt road) which is wider, had a good hill of about 25 yrds, and found another bike trail off of that road, and I ran and ran.  Not as popular as the other loop.  Decided to turn back after reaching 9.5 miles, and mosquitoes are getting hungry too, found a short cut to the cross country skiing road, and made it back to the truck, 10.2 miles, 1:55, yippee!!  Big grin I am ecstatic!!  It's only 3.7 miles from our house to the trailhead.

rmcj001

Summer Breeze 5K Race Report:

Grey morning in the East Bay (San Leandro Marina) and temps were about 59F at race time.  Wife and older son left 1/2 earlier doing the Half Marathon while I waited with my brother and younger son to do the 5K.  Younger son is just back from studying in China and was walking, so brother and I headed to the front for the race.  This race is a little bigger for a trail run (just under 600 runners) so we opted to skip waiting for it to clear out as that would take awhile and the paved path is narrow.  

Race started and we had to pick our way through many slow runners.  Brother passed me as he was more willing to just blow by people and within 1/4 mile we were able to run freely.  Brother was in front as we moved slowly into the places we would mostly hold for the race.  I never lost visual contact with my brother, but never got closer.  Hit mile 1 in 6:50 and I was thinking this isn't too bad, will need to see how it feels at 2 miles.  The course is sort of an out and back, but the back is very close to the 2 mile mark.  As my brother is coming back, I think I surprised him by how close I was.  He definitely picked up the pace a bit after that.  There were a couple of runners between me and him and I concentrated on the 12 yo.  Caught him at about 2.25 miles and was gaining on the a 30 something and woman ahead of him. At about 2.5 miles the guy collided with a ~9 yo girl (at first I was worried my brother hit her) - guy didn't blink he popped up and w/o word blazed on leaving the girl crying to her dad and mom.  In the mean time some woman turned around and moved directly in my path.  I started yelling and the I hear one of the 10K runners yelling too. He was coming fast and we both had to dodge the fool.  The 10K runner blazed by and I tried to up my pace a bit. Wasn't making any ground on anyone, but didn't seem to be losing any either. Made the turn headed for the finish, which is just very slight incline on grass.  Did up my pace a bit on this final sprint to the finish.  12 yo caught me at the first of two mats at the finish. I probably eased up a bit and breathing too hard to hear him coming.  Checked my watch and it said 21:42, so I was pretty happy.  Turned out kid was closer to the front at the start and his official time was 21:42 and mine was 21:40! Brother ran a 21:12 and got 1st in AG, I got 2nd again.

Grabbed some water and then waited with brother for 2nd son to finish.  After that we went and grabbed our AG medals and got some food.  Plenty of time to catch up and eat while waiting for 1st son and wife.  The both ran a bit faster than they expected so everyone was in a good mood as we headed out.

Ray

Art in AZ

AZ - Great news on finding a good running trail. We have the same thing here. The Lost Dutchman State Park has a fee and some good hiking trails. We usually go there a couple of times a year. Just a little farther East there is the First Water Trailhead on Fed land with no fee. So you can start there, run through Lost Dutchman and continue on. Lots of choices.

Ray - Nice race report and making it a family affair. It amazes me still how people act sometimes, but it shouldn't.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

AZ - Great news on finding a good running trail. We have the same thing here. The Lost Dutchman State Park has a fee and some good hiking trails. We usually go there a couple of times a year. Just a little farther East there is the First Water Trailhead on Fed land with no fee. So you can start there, run through Lost Dutchman and continue on. Lots of choices.

Art:  I'm familiar with the area.  Ran the HM a couple of times too (2nd one with a friend).  Love the atmosphere of the race and the early morning view overall.  Don't care for the race itself as it is out and back, and kinda discouraging when you see how many runners are ahead of you, at least that's how I feel, and it's all road too, bummer.  But the off-road trails are pretty awesome, I've been farther to hiking trails around Apache Junction as well.  Since DD and company live close to Deem Hills Rec. Area, no fee, great playground for the kiddos, i enjoy running the desert trails there when In Phoenix:  "Singletrack trails,with good use of elevation changes. Lots of challenging climbs, switchbacks, and fun/flowing descents. Perfect trails for night rides, with panoramic views of northwest Phoenix lights. Water, restrooms, playground, and grassy areas at trailhead."  Also Thunderbird Park is another trail running area close to them as well, no fee.  I don't go there as much as it tends to be very popular, and gets congested with hikers (families) who don't want to get out of the way for runners.  Buffalo Park in Flag is the most popular so I avoid the park's 2 mile loop itself.  I take off further north towards the mountains, But there are so many choices of trails in every direction, and it's a mtn biker's heaven.  

Not as sore as I thought I would be from the 10.2 miles of trail running yesterday.  I'm still reeling with delight, LOL!!  So I felt like running again on my newfound trail for a 'recovery run.'  Had to get some work done most of the day while watching the rain clouds forming from the west.  Rain predicted.  Finally, I made it to the trailhead and took off as soon as I could.  A couple of teenagers got dropped off by their mom as well and they took off on their mtn bikes. Within a mile, it started to rain, gently.  As thicker clouds moved across the sky, it started to rain more, puddles formed quickly and I got totally soaked from head to toe within seconds!!  Temps felt cool, still could see the trail, and from experience, I wore my cap which kept the rain from my eyes.  Legs got covered with splattered mud.  It was GREAT!!  I made it 2 miles in the pouring rain, thought about running another mile but didn't want to take any chances of slipping on mud so got back to the truck.  Saw the two bikers in the 'shelter' waiting out the rain, checked on them to make sure they were okay.  Rained for more than 30 minutes after getting home, humidity soared as soon as the sun came out, but so are the mosquitoes!!!  

Smile got my run done earlier than I thought, yippee!!  So I went back again to run the trails.  If you want to look it up, google Movil Maze.  The map shows the X-country skiing trails that are colored according to difficulty, and a snowmobile trail in white. The mtn bike trails are not on the map yet. So I decided to check out the X-country ski trails, and did I mention it's a 'MAZE??'  I pride myself on being good with directions but I brought a small compass with me anyway just in case, but at each intersection of the trails, there was a numbered post with the map.  I took my walk break while making sure where I was.  I wore my Garmin, and my Nathan 2 bottle belt with cell phone, whistle, compass, small knife, a bandana and one gel.  I mixed up the trail to form a large 'loop,' which, after 4 miles, got me on the 'red' trail, the most difficult.  It was worth it, there were 3 HILLS about 25 yards uphill, at least one of them fairly steep, it was awesome!!  YEAH, you guessed it, ran it twice.  It was getting pretty warm, sun came out and the mosquitoes/flying bugs were everywhere!  Most of the X-country ski trails are covered with various foliage, small grass, but the less used one had some soft deep uneven spots where I walked to avoid turning my ankle or worse.  It can be deceitful (from experience) when running on grassy trails, can't really see what you are stepping on.  So I made it back to the parking area and took off on the mtn bike trail.  It was not muddy/wet as I thought it would be from the rain yesterday.  It was damp here and there, and a biker already beat me to the trail.  I actually prefer the mtn bike trail, it's single track, soft dirt packed and you can see where you are stepping.  You do feel very alone but it's surreal, and calming for me. I ran about half mile on a different bike trail b/c I saw some 'dog-like' prints.  Shocked  I'm alone so I turned around.  I did leave a voicemail with DH.  Anyway, I finished 8.1 miles, 1:35.  Big grin  While stretching post-run, another runner finished.  He told me about a couple of other areas to consider and try.  He's not a trail runner he says so he stays on the X-country ski trails and paved road.  He did tell me that hikers/skiers have seen coyotes but he hasn't and he runs here alot.  I just couldn't believe he didn't have a shirt on ..........with all the mosquitoes!!!

Me again:

Big grin TGIF!! Rested yesterday.  But went for about an 80 mile harley ride on two different routes, was on a mission for DH who forgot to pick up meds for 2 wks so took the 'long way around' route to the pharmacy.  Overcast, kinda humid, great riding temps.  Finished up some work and housework too.  DH and i have a VERY early flight from MN to AZ tomorrow morning so getting stuff done, just need to pack now.  I have 2 conferences in one week, Denver and PHX.  DH only has the PHX conference.  I can't wait to hug our grandbabies tomorrow, the 'new' one is already sitting up by herself!!  I can't believe time has passed that much Sad( The older one is a chatterbox on the phone!!  The second week will be less busy so lots of visiting, and running those trails at 7,000+ ft, GASP!! DH will be flying in his dad for the second week to take him to an airshow/car show near the Grand Canyon that our car club participates in.  I have my other harley in AZ so I do plan on some riding with my biker buds!!  Yes, very homesick.

So I went to the Movil Maze again this morning.  Ran the two bike trails only, finished 11 miles, 1:57!!  About 67 degrees, 70 humidity, 12 mph breeze, lots of mosquitoes/flying bugs.  The first loop was on one bike trail, the second loop was on the other one and took photos/video on my GoPro so lots of stopping (short ones).  But after finishing about 4 miles, left the GoPro in truck, sprayed myself with repellent again, and just focused on running with 1 minute walk break about every 2 miles.  Got very muggy, and mosquitoes sticking to me, eewww!!  Quiet, met 3 hikers, 1 biker.

Have a super weekend everyone!! And good luck to anyone who is racing!!!

justrundan

AZ- have a great time in Arizona with the grandbabies, and with your mountain trails!  You've quickly developed an affection for those cross country trails!!

Absolutely no running in India, but ran 4.6, 6.6 and 9 the 3 days I've been back.  I can tell the 2 weeks off affected me. It is what it is.  I'll still enjoy running the HM with my son next month.

Hope to post something re: the trip this weekend.  I'll try not to drone on too much. Joking

great weekend to all!

Dan

justrundan

Where did everyone go??  Smile

part of a report on the India trip

at was interesting. I was into the second paragraph of the trip report when Firefox just folded, taking everything with it.  We'll try again.

Will try to report topically, maybe over several posts.

Travel: Air France is the way to go!!  2 HOT meals on each leg of the trip. (9 h to Paris, another 10 h to Bangalore)  They even offer complimentary wine or beer with each meal.  Unfortunately, the economy seats are just as cramped!  I don't sleep well on planes, so by the time we got to Bangalore @ 11PM their time, I was ready to sleep!  DW did better, sleeping several hours on the plane after 4 mg Valium.  Smile  The return trip, Delhi to Paris to Chicago was more brutal due to timing.  We were up @ 7AM India timeTuesday and the plane left @ 0030 Wed morning, so we'd already been up 18 hours when the plane left.  The flight and a 6 hour layover in Paris and the stretch to Chicago got us in @ 3:30 pm Wednesday Chicago time, After taking the bus to Madison, dropping DD and DSIL at their apartment and driving home to Baraboo, we got to bed @ 11PM Wed night, or 0930 Thurs morning India time, so about 50 hours later.  Got about 1-2 hours of catnap here and there.  But the jet lag left me pretty quickly.

Hindu ceremony: Wow, just a little different than the WI wedding!  Everyone, including DW and I, wore traditional India garb for the ceremony.  So far I've avoided any pics of me being posted!!  The ceremony was a "short version" of the traditional Indian ceremony, only 90 minutes.  Only half was in English, so I can't tell you much about what was said.  But there was a lot about the two becoming one-they tied cloth from each of their garments to each other to symbolize that union.  That was Sunday morning, and there was a gap until the reception that evening held at Mysore Palace Hotel!  Again, lots of bright clothing!  DD and DSIL both wore different outfits than for the wedding. I got to wear my suit, so I felt more comfortable.  The couple were on a stage of sorts and greeted all the guests, by family, as they came up to the stage, gave them a gift, or rupees, and then had their picture taken with the couple.  Kind of a cool way of doing it, butnot much time to talk to any one person.  Food was after that, so DD&DSIL ate last!

Food: DW & I were very cautious about what we ate, and everyone did a great job of looking out for us.  We ate out a lot and there was always something that was not too spicy that DW and I could tolerate. (we were both raised on mid-western blandness, and the hot/spicy foods do us in very quickly!)  We found a dessert that we LOVED; don't know the Indian name, but it looked and tasted like a donut hole soaked in maple syrup and served warm, with vanilla ice cream.  Yum!

Traffic:  In a word, chaos.  But that is too mild a word. Utter chaos.  Roads and cars are like Britain, drive on the left, from the right side of the car.  Watching traffic from above must be like watching a herd of cattle going through a narrow street, shoulder to shoulder!  Cross streets and turns are not for the faint of heart.  If you don't just plow ahead, slowly, you never get anywhere.  DW refused to watch out the front.  The center line is more of a suggestion. never saw any enforcement.  I never saw so many motorcycles and scooters, with as many as 5 people on them. (husband, wife and 3 kids)  Most cars are diesel, manual transmission.  Nothing big except buses.  Lots of 3 wheeled motorized "rickshaws" used to transport people and goods. They run on compressed butane.

Gotta run; more later.

Run strong friends

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Hi gang!

Reporting in after a long absence.  Late July and August have been filled with TOO MUCH ... fun!   It all began with my father's surprise 90th birthday party in Florida, then my niece and I headed to Walt Disney World for a whirlwind 3-days, back home for a 3-day project at work, on to family reunion at the Experimental Aircraft Association Fly-in at Oshkosh, WI and then (thankfully!) a week long camping trip along Green Bay in Peninsula State Park.  DS2 spent the latter part of the week in the same park at his HS cross country team's Running Camp. I enjoyed running everywhere, but Florida was a challenge!  The daytime temps were in the 90 - 100's during my stay.  My folks have an excellent fitness center located in their complex, so I used the treadmill most days and my Dad would pick me up in his golf cart for a breezy ride back.  Once at Disney, ran around the lake between 2 resorts very early morning/late evening.  I'm more a "National Park" than an "Theme Park" kind of girl, but Disney is truly magical!  Running among the huge iconic Disney characters within the resorts was surreal, especially in the evening with Disney tunes playing on the outdoors speakers!  Marie, Rich ... I can understand why you love racing at the Disney properties so much!    I'm trying to convince my niece her very first race should be a Disney race!  At camp the weather was absolutely perfect for running.  Low humidity, early morning runs were in the mid 50s.  I ran everyday on the quiet roads and mt. biking trails within the park, occasionally having DS2's team flying past me at 6:00 pace!  Ah, youth!  During this week, a dull pain behind my right knee began to aggravate me. I've never experience a pain behind the knee before.  The pain increased slightly, and I felt a tightening down into my calf and up the hamstring. After returning back home, I decided to take a week off with no running, but gentle stretches and foam rolling.  The pain has subsided, but occasionally if I make a quick lateral move I will feel a slight 'twinge".   Yesterday, ran a easy 2 miles around the neighborhood to test it out, felt okay.  I'm going to try another easy 2 - 3 miles tomorrow.  I'm signed up for an HM this Saturday, but we shall see.

Dan~Great Trip Report!  Glad your back safe and back to training for the BD HM!

AZ~So happy you have found some trails that bring you joy.  I thought of you as I attempted running(?) the mt. biking trails while camping last week.

Ray~Summer Breeze ... love the name of the races in your area. Nicely run!!!  DS and I have discussed the definite lack of civility in recent races, not good!

Art~How's the car restoration coming? Hope the blazing Arizona temps are heading down soon.

Rich~So sorry to read about you recent set back.  Keep up the stretching and doing what you are able to do to maintain fitness.   Take care.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Dan- Thanks for the trip report.  Sounds like an awesome trip that has provided a wealth of new experiences.

Debra - WDW is our happy place!  DW and I are planning a trip for our 40th anniversary in 2014.  At which resort did you stay?

My Achilles tendonitis is slowly showing signs of improvement.  No regular running yet, but I'm still working cardio on my bike and on elliptical machines at the gym.  This past weekend, I did an experiment and found that I can run stairs with no pain, so I've added that to my cardio training for now.  Disneyland HM is in two weeks.  No real hope of running it, but I may try walking the route.  Since my previous race times landed me in start corral C, I might be able to stay far enough ahead of the sweepers to actually finish and get the medal.  DSIL is having some lower back issues and may well walk it with me while DD runs off into the distance.  Smile

Stay well everyone!

Rich

Art in AZ

Looking through the upcoming races there are a few I will probably sign up for. Other than that, just trying to get miles in waiting for the weather to start cooling off.

Dan - Yes, it has been quite. Nice trip report. It sounds like you and wife had a great time.

Debra - Car is getting closer. Doing a lot of small time consuming things now.

Rich - Good news that you are healing, even if it is slower than you would like. Running a Disney race sounds like fun from everyone's description that has been to one. Hopefully you will be able to run some of it.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ