50 and over 5k and beyond

June runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

az2mn:  First, please accept my condolences on your recent loss  You and your family have been through a lot recently and I know if takes a heavy toll on everyone.  Second, my next race is the HM in Des Moines in October.  I never plan anything longer than a 5 or 10K during July and August due to the possibility of very hot/humid weather in the upper Midwest.  Even then, I don't sign up in advance, but wait until race day and pay the added cost if there is any.  I may a 5 or 10K in mid-July.  It's an 8AM start and I'll wait until then to decide.  It used to be an evening race and the last two years it was 90+ at 6PM, so I passed both times.

Steve:  thank you.  yes, it has been a difficult 3 months with 4 funerals.  Not a good reason to visit home but it's always wonderful to hug them again especially when you live so far away.  In regard to on-site registration for races, my reason is mainly due to last minute travel but I'm taking into account the heat/humidity factor since moving to northern MN.  You were smart on not running the races in 90+ degrees.  Even though many trail races around Phoenix area are held in 'winter months' and start early, it's not uncommon to run in 100+ degrees by 9am!!  I (and other seasoned trail runners) remember running out of water in a HM technical trail race in January!! It reached 107 degrees at mid-point!! That was scary, had to slow down, run/walk/run to the water station where I (and others) were gobbling up salt tabs.     I'm planning on running a 10k on July 4th but probably a HM in August and/or September.  I am thinking of running the local FM, the Blue Ox, in October.

NH Runner

Checking in again, I'm more sore today that yesterday, so I'm still not up to running yet or participating here, but gaining...

Chantilly... I fillet the fish so there's no bones.   To cook, they're dredged in a milk/egg mix, then rolled in either a fish fry flour mixture or bread crumbs, then fried in oil.   It's surprising how good fresh water fish actually is when properly taken care of.

Ray... my buddy's pace didn't change the day he ran in the heat.   I know your body diverts blood to your skin to help keep you cool when it's hot and places an extra load on your heart to do so.   At 11:30 pace, his first mile heart rate was mid 120's and by the time he hit the fourth mile, still running the same pace, his heart rate climbed to 150.   Not an exact science, but his heart was working roughly 20% harder to maintain pace due to the heat.   The only comparison I have is the treadmill miles I run here in the winter, over 4 miles, my heart rate might increase by 10 beats, but that would be it.

Fletch... I've actually caught a few smallmouths over 16 inches, really nice fish!

gito... if you're not familiar with a Thermacell, check it out.   They absolutely stop mosquitos from biting!!

Again, I am checking in periodically, but don't respond to this post.   Like Arnold, "I'll be back." 

Nice running everyone!!

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Welcome back!  Looking forward to a vacation report.

Rich~Love fresh-caught fish prepared  in a cast iron skillet as you described.

Ray~WTG on you 50 mile week!

Chantilly~Nice post meal running.  Miss my Lilly of the Valley, never re-planted after foundation excavating years ago.

AZ~How great to find the trail running group and possible running buddy.  My next race is Friday/4-miler, next week an evening 5k and signed up for a HM in late August.  Hope training for your races go well.

Fletch~Enjoy running on the beach.  "Nags Head" - LOL!

adkkev, Jo~Hey, what's going on?

Yesterday - 4 mile slog on the shady bike path.

Today - Had some responsibilities at church in the early morning, so wimped out and went to the indoor track for 12 miles.  I know running in the heat/humidity would help me to acclimate, but I just couldn't do it!

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Nice group trail run...hope you enjoy your new running partner/group!

gito57 It was probably better that you went indoors for your run, since you seemed to have been a bit tired from the humidity earlier.

The track is closed for routine maintenance this past week. 

Pouring rain here all day, so I painted a bedroom.  

Many streets are flooded, had to try several detours just to get out of my neighborhood. 

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~Hope you can get back on the track this week.  Taper time?  The heavy rain is heading our way.  Better find a rowboat!

Today was to be a SRD after yesterday's long run, but a good friend called and we decided to go for an easy recovery run on the shaded river parkway.  Pretty warm and humid at 7am, but great to have a buddy.  She recently returned from a medical mission trip in Malawi, Africa.  It was great to hear about her experiences and she got to run there, also!  Snakes, BIG snakes!  She is the person who encouraged me to start running 4 years ago.  We are looking for a HM to run together again.

Yesterday's long run was just the confidence booster I needed after last week's struggles.  I'm using a training program (Brad Hudson's HM level 2) that tops at 52 mpw to train for my next HM.  I'm hoping the higher mileage will get me closer to the 2 hour time.  It may also help me determine if I can handle the training for a marathon.  Any thoughts / suggestions?

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

Previous post was lost!

gito57 Nice run with your friend.  What an experience she had!

Re: HM/Full training.  I am not familiar with that program, but 52 MPW should be enough for a good result.

I have only run 1 HM at 2:00, the rest were slower. My full PB is 4:19.  I try to train as hard as I can with the physical limitations I have and try hard on race day to do well, but have learned to be satisfied with just finishing, which gives me a kind of freedom.

I think it is good to have a loose goal for the first marathon, but not be so attached to it, that you don't appreciate the fact that you trained for and finished the race.

I think 50 MPW is necessary to do well in a Full, also the 20 mile runs once a week for 3-4 times beforehand are very important.  Even if one can only walk part of these 20 milers, they are beneficial.

Track was open! 

9 miles run.

Then 3x200 meters, (1:04, 1:05, 1:10) with walking breaks

Then 400 meters in 2:29 minutes.

Leg weight machines x 5 minutes.

Stationary biking x 10 minutes.

Ran 1 mile for recovery.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Your race is coming up soon?  You're doing well getting all the miles in.  I run on the TM to control pace (usually), but more for when it isn't convenient to run outside (no longer like running at night - increase risk of falling for me and I fall way too often these days).

Az - Trail running group sounds great!  I need to find something like that.  Occasionally DS1 & DW will do runs with running store group.  Things sound like they're improving -- hope so!

Fletch - Hope the getaway is going well and you have time to take some more of those leisurely 5 milers!

Gito - 50+ miles for half will have you in great shape!  Time on your feet helps with the longer distance races, I'm not familiar with the plan you mentioned, but I would think any plan that is over 40MPW will serve you well.  It will get you in good shape for a Marathon too!

Rich - Heat Pace Calculator just for you!

3.1 mile TM on Sunday early.  Followed up with an 8+ mile hike late morning and then a 3 mile hike in the afternoon.  DW graduated from her docent class and afternoon hike was a test with friends so she could test out a hike she'll lead in August.

Monday 7.2 miles in 97F heat, slowed down a bit, but last 3 miles weren't too bad.  Calculator above has me running 31 seconds faster per mile at 60F.

June mileage:  204

Total 2014 mileage: 1051

Ray