50 and over 5k and beyond

March Runs and Workouts (Read 9 times)

NH Runner

3/27, Easter Sunday... late in the day I rode the mtn bike 8 miles on the railtrail

3/28. Monday... it rained all day, so a day off.

3/29, Tuesday... 6 mile railtrail run this morning, wind at 15 mph with gusts to 35.   Warmed the 1st mile with walk breaks, then ran the next 5 non-stop.   Last mile I threw in a few strides to get in a little low intensity speed work.   Grabbed the tryke and rode that 5 miles on the trail later in the day as well.    A woman stopped me early on, excited to see the way the tryke's propelled, she told me her 14 year old granddaughter has a club foot and can't ride a bike, but was thinking maybe her son could make her a tryke like mine.   She took pictures and recorded me riding it, so maybe I'll see her again with her granddaughter at some point.     The tryke's a great idea, anyone looking for an upper body workout would be sold once they ride it.    It's ugly and not very user friendly in its present state, but would catch on pretty quick if it were designed and built by someone who knew what they were doing...lol

Edited to add this story, a 9 year old running a 24 hour endurance race. Wow! http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/this-9-year-old-girl-ran-a-24-hour-navy-seals-obstacle-course/ar-BBr2EXu?ocid=spartandhp

Art... nice runs the last couple of days.   And yeah, I like mixing up the pace of my runs as well.    Your body gets pretty efficient at running the same pace all the time, mixing it up gives it something new to adapt to.

az... it's funny how crazy we get when the weather gets nice, eh?    What a treat it is when our biggest concern isn't getting our fingers and toes frozen...lol    Congrats on the 8.2 miles, when we're coming back from an injury every milestone is cause for celebration, you're getting stronger every day!

adkkev... yep, the wind was blowing here today...lol   Nice and steady with the workouts, is your nature trail a tough walk or relatively mild?   And speaking of our weather being about 3 weeks ahead of schedule, looking at last year's log, I was still XC skiing at this time...lol

adkkev

Monday - 4.4 miles on the treadmill, mix of running (2% incline) & walking (4% incline)

Tuesday - 3.6 walking miles on the treadmill @ 5% incline.

It was really windy overnight and the wind was blowing my car around on the Thruway commute this morning.  Became very sunny this afternoon but the wind was still pretty gusty so I decided to hit the gym rather than fight the wind.

Rich - the nature trail is pretty easy ... it's basically the old path along the original Erie Canal where the horses/mules pulled the barges along.  We like it because it's close to home & is usually drier than many of the trails up to north in the spring.

Rumor has it that we might get snow (!!) sometime over the weekend ... and I'm thinking that it's not an April Fool's joke.

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Ran dirt road on Sunday.  Rest Monday.  Tuesday (yesterday), was conflicted to either run indoors or outside.  Can you believe it was about 60 degrees!!   13 mph wind, feels like 58 with the overcast sky which kept a slight chill in the air.  I decided to get in a short run on indoor track with drills again so drove to university gym to find parking lots crowded with school buses and sport teams, lacrosse, soccer, baseball. There was also a H.S. track meet inside!!  I didn't see any notices on doors last week.  Anyway, glad I had my outdoor trail shoes in trunk and I had dressed appropriately for outdoor running.  So drove to state park.  I know is just over 2 miles to get to a bridge where there's a nice short dirt hill so I did 6 hill repeats. On my run back, I threw in some strides to break up the monotony of running on flat paved trail.  Cool down last 1/2 mile.  Finished 5.1 miles.

NH:  kinda ran strides like you did to get some low intensity speed work as well.  Yeah, don't want to get all gung-ho on intensity levels on my runs.  I'm taking it slow, just building endurance and strong base before incorporating tempos, intervals but the hill repeats was pretty encouraging.  The tryke sure is an attention getter.  Those wind gusts are tough to predict its direction.

adkkev:  smart move on going indoors on gusty days.  I find them hard to breathe in and I'm prone to ear aches if my ears are covered.  It's nice to have a choice on such days to go to a gym.  I'm not surprised on the predicted snowstorm, hopefully it will be less severe.

NH Runner

Well, I had this wonderful post ready to install, hit the "post" button and it disappeared..

So... today was an easy day, first up was a 3 mile walk with Sim, then later in the day an easy 8 mile mtn bike ride.   Basically a recovery day from the tougher stuff I did yesterday...

adkkev... I like the idea of walking the original Erie Canal, lots of history there.   Similar to the railtrail I run where at 2 miles there's an abandoned factory that's been silent for over a 100 years.   Local history says it was a major supplier of wooden bobbins used in the old loom machines that wove fabric.   It's gone now, but there must have been a water wheel supplying power to the building built at a junction where the river and railroad came together.

az... the creative juices were flowing to get your run in today after plan A fell apart, eh?   Ended up being a nice little workout too, good for you.   And yeah, you're doing it the right way, building endurance and a solid base before getting into serious training again.    I enjoyed seeing the woman's reaction to my tryke yesterday, you could see the love in her face for her granddaughter as she talked about her.

adkkev

Today turned out to be a pretty nice sunny day with a bit of breeze but nothing as windy as it's been.  I snuck in a 1.25 mile walk around the neighborhood near the office at lunch time & then ran 5 miles on the nature trail after work.  Temperature was up to 60+ degrees by the time I ran on the nature trail.  I'll take it!!

Rich - we like the nature trail along the old canal ... full of history and wildlife.  There are two sets of old double locks (without the old lock doors) still standing & it's amazing how they fit all those huge blocks of stone together without heavy machinery.  No doubt there are a lot of artifacts buried under the soil (and under the water in the old canal) but since it's a state park you can't start digging & looking for them!!

Az - I'm glad I joined Planet Fitness last year ... nice to have that indoor option when the weather isn't very cooperative.  Inexpensive, clean, & the various machines are kept up quite well.

Art in AZ

3 miles this afternoon. Nothing special, just maintaining for Sat. run.

Rich - Your tryke idea is catching on. How soon before we see them in Walmart?  I read that story about the girl. After reading it I felt lazy in comparison. Imagine what she could be like in a few years if she keeps it up.

adkkev - Joining Planet Fitness was a good idea with the crazy weather you have been experiencing.

AZ - Way to be prepared. Running outside beats running indoor in my book.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

I felt the slight chill with the wind when I headed outside.  Mostly cloudy, about 48 degrees, 14-20mph wind, feels 42. Spotty rain in different places but none around our neighborhood.  Ran dirt road to nearby lake, mostly dry, quiet.  Edge of lake is still thawing.  Finished 6.1 miles.  Run 8 mins/30 secs walk breaks.  This weekend, the temps predicted to be in the 30s with wind gusts. Gosh, I hope I can get in a 'long' run on Saturday.  Meeting up with trail running buddy on Sunday for a trail run on the mtn bike trail.  So what race are you looking most forward to this year?

NH Runner

Thursday, 3/31... 70 degrees today!   Shorts and T for this kid!    6 mile railtrail run where I got a little too enthusiastic in the nice weather, ran too quick, then had to ease up in the last mile.    Doesn't matter, I was still a blur, too quick to see even at the slower pace...

adkkev... nice workout today.   And nice weather!   Yes, it's amazing what the old timers were capable of back in the day, isn't it?  Even today, a lot of the old buildings built 150 years ago are still in great shape.    I sometimes think it would have been fun living back then, but not everything was wonderful.   I've read where city dwellers viewed the automobile as their salvation from the ever present horse manure and flies, I guess it was pretty bad...

Art... the tryke needs a better propulsion system than the crude arrangement I've come up with.  It's good enough for my purposes, but that's about it...lol     Isn't that 9 year old something?   36 mile Navy Seal obstacle course in 24 hours and did all the obstacles!     And yeah, can you imagine what she'll be capable of as an adult if she keeps it up?    She definitely loves what she's doing.

az... we had good weather today, but rain's coming in tomorrow, then we're going to cool down for a few days.   Spring one day, then Winter the next...lol    Good luck getting your workouts in this weekend.    Races?    Not sure how much racing I'll do, would like to do a couple of local half marathons and even a full if I can stay healthy.   Plus there's always the obligatory 5K going on somewhere local...lol