50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

adkkev:  oh my!!  What a beautiful view!!  So lush and green.  And nice running hills in that valley!!   You're getting some consistent cross-training days, that's great!!  DH loves corn and it's a hit-and-miss around here.  So did you hike/bike/run to the place where you took the photo?  What are the temps lately there?  Been seeing more rainstorms going through NE area.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Biking seems to help you quite a bit.

adkkev Enjoying your photos.

az2mntrail Yes, it is time for the fairs.  Good idea to avoid that area.(dust, smells, traffic, etc.) No, I am not going to the marathon series in Sept.  Haven't done the training.

7 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

adkkev:  oh my!!  What a beautiful view!!  So lush and green.  And nice running hills in that valley!!   You're getting some consistent cross-training days, that's great!!  DH loves corn and it's a hit-and-miss around here.  So did you hike/bike/run to the place where you took the photo?  What are the temps lately there?  Been seeing more rainstorms going through NE area.

We hiked ... relatively short hike, steady uphill climb with a couple steeper spots.  We did a loop & the trail coming down was steeper & much more direct.  The valley was severely impacted by Hurricane Irene with the Schoharie Creek devastating several small towns.  This is the image of the valley from Vroman's Nose after Irene:

Art in AZ

No running Wednesday or Thursday because of early start for work. Since Friday is the last day of the month I need to get out there.

Rich - You seem to be having some bum luck. What about walking every other day after running? Just guessing here what might help.

Chantilly - Nice running days after a couple days off. I have looked at the Aravaipa Running site and am considering their Fall Trail series. Seeing if son-in-law is interested.

adkkev - Some great pictures there. Reminds me of parts of Illinois and Wisconsin.

AZ - The weather has been warm. Haven't experienced it the last couple of mornings because of work. No, I don't have a helment. I know I should have one, just been lazy about it.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 7/31... 6 mile railtrail run this morning, dry air and 60 degrees.    I rode the mtn bike an easy 6 miles yesterday, but didn't run.   Also got after my legs with the foam roller and got them to recover pretty well.    They're still a little tight this morning, but the foam roller should take care of that.    Took my time warming up the first mile...12:10, 9:52, 9:36, 9:43, 9:44 and 9:36.

adkkev...thoroughly enjoyed your pictures, beautiful country!     And there's nothing like locally grown sweet corn, eh?   I love that stuff! lol

Chantilly... your mileage is down a little this year too, eh?    Unlike me though, you're maintaining well.    How long has it been since you've run a half marathon, a while, right?

Az... it's a shame you're such a slow learner, otherwise you could have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger.    That's the one down side to my wife using a washboard, with arms like that, I have to tiptoe around her for fear of getting her mad at me...lol      Your recovery's going well, eh?    Good stuff!

Art... yeah, I'm struggling a bit to get back up to speed.    I've been doubling up most days by running, then jumping on the bike.    Not riding the bike that far, but probably pushing harder than I should.    For now, I'm going to knock off the bike rides and be smarter about grabbing a day off when I need it.    That and better consistency using the foam roller would help as well...lol    I think I'm just getting ahead of my legs' ability to keep up, probably something to do with getting to be an old phart...lol

adkkev

5.3 miles on the elliptical at the gym yesterday ... today's a rest day.

The oppressive humidity of the past few days has disappeared ... it was a pleasure to sit out on our front porch last night!!

rmcj001

Looks like RA just lost my post - cool...  I'll give it another try.

Chantilly - You seem to be pretty consistent on the runs, tho I see work is getting in the way again.  Given your workouts you would appear to be more then ready for your half in Sept. With a few more weeks should be a snap.  Trip went well, here's Google Story of it.

Az - Sorry about getting off track on you Ultra!  But, Damn - 38 miles!  Makes the AG finish so much sweeter.  Something for us all to aspire to, DS1 had an 80yo co-worker finish the SF Marathon in 4:58!  He was disappointed 'cuz he walked last 3 miles.  Hope I can move that well at 80.  Yes, the fires have been crazy here, most are grass fires and the ones near my hometown (Vacaville) are mostly chaparral and oak. Funny to think that native americans used to burn regularly in most of US to keep the overall fire danger down and increase food productivity. So many plants around here are dependent on regular fires for propagation and maintaining health.

NHRich - Good to see you running again, but I think I'd 2nd the opinion of adding in walking days.  Think the walks will increase the blood flow to the right areas of the legs w/o too much stress.   Anyway, consistency and staying healthy for the long run...

adkkev - Pictures were great!  Gotta love getting outside with such nice views!

Art - I know most of us like to run outside and avoid the dreadmill, but with your heat down there I would seriously give the TM more attention with a bit of A/C.  Of, course, I do a few more races, so my perspective might be just a tad different.  Also, that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?

Dan - Sounds like your time off from work was very productive.  Nice jump start to the fall race training.

Wednesday, 8.3 miles with temps above 95F felt reasonable but a tad warm

Thursday, 8.7 miles only 90F, but humidity was higher and felt worse.  Felt a slight groin issue during run, but didn't feel serious.  Went to "Mission Impossible" and things went south quickly.  Trouble sleeping and things just ache.  URD today and planning on walking for lunch.  Oh, well - better take easy now so can train harder later 

Ray

Art in AZ

I got 5 miles in this morning before I left for work. Was thirsty a little the second half as the water fountain at the park wasn't working. Good thing I brought grapes along. The weather people are talking about severe storms this weekend coming through town. We will see. Though right now looking out it looks like it will do something really soon. Lots of dark, ominous clouds.

Rich - The thing is to take it easy and slowly work back up. Which ever way works.

adkkev - Boy can I relate to oppressive humidity some times.

Ray - good runs in the heat. Well I hope it makes me stronger. Time will tell. This July I have ran more miles for the month that any previous July. Running in the heat isn't so bad. I take it easy most of the time. And of course, running when cloudy is better than sunny. It's the humidity that gets to me after a while. I have a feeling the next couple of days will be humid.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

5.3 miles on the elliptical at the gym yesterday ... today's a rest day.

The oppressive humidity of the past few days has disappeared ... it was a pleasure to sit out on our front porch last night!!

adkkev:  same here with the 'low' humidity for a couple of days due to the windy conditions.  Love it!!  Kept windows open even at night.  Dong good on the training runs.  Love the photos, keep them coming!

HAPPY FRIDAY everyone AND last day of July ...........more than half of the year already?!?

Gorgeous day today!! Partly cloudy day with good amount of breeze, I love the sound of our chimes on such days.  Cleaned our home windows today.  Don't know where that extra burst of energy came from, LOL!!   Less humidity in the air made it so much more tolerable being outside for that.  But it was still too hot to run outdoors.  Drove to gym.  15 mins elliptical.  8.2 interval miles on TM on 'hills' program.  10 mins cycle.  15 mins. weights.  WHEW!!  It was pretty warm except for the A/C in the weight room.  DH swam.  Then he grilled salmon and veggies with baked gold yukon potatotes.  Yummy!!  I got him a 'spiralizer' for  his birthday (I was on my WA trip).  We kinda go crazy with it but it makes eating veggies more 'fun' and 'creative'.  So easy too.  DH has car show further north tomorrow that he wants to take the '55 T-bird but I'm gonna stay around here .........or depending on the day, I might ride my harley bike to meet him for lunch and ride back.  About a couple of hrs away.  Happy weekend everyone!!   Stay cool and safe running!!