50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2018 (Read 14 times)

rmcj001

Altair - Nice picture of you GD! Pretty amazing to finish 16th. Might have read the 1908 NY Times article - seem to recall that they gave out plaques to the first 20 finishers. Pretty cool. Keep up the good work on increasing mileage slowly.  Be careful about comparing years, they're all different and tho it is best to be consistent, you also have to listen to your body.

Rich - The tryke ride sounds a bit harrowing! Glad you didn't go for a swim in your weather .  Hope that calf is healing well.

Chantilly - You indoor track sounds interesting. Not a big fan of gyms nor circling tracks - which makes it a wonder that I can stomach the TM. Oh, well, hope the sciatica stays calm and allows you to run. Is you sciatica pain caused by a stenosis? One of the docents that DW hikes with as stenosis in 3 vertebrae and is sometimes in a fair amount of pain. Yet, even when it is really acting up, can still set a fairly stiff hiking pace. This whole getting old thing sucks!

Dan - Ouch!  That sounds painful.  Good to hear you're still able to run! Might be safer to stay indoors when conditions might be dicey! Good that you have TM to fall back on (tho I hear injuries are common on them too - ).

Az - 30 miles in 2 days?! Holey smokes! Sounds like you will be ready for your 55K. Think I'll skip those for a few more years...

Art - So, you can workout as long as you don't sweat? Time to find a TM in a walk in freezer   The Drop13 Half looks like fun! Very similar elevation change to the Mt Lemmon Half, hmmmm....

Little bit more consistent this last week.  Took Friday off and had China Camp 10K on Saturday.  Wasn't really feeling that good for the race, but was in the top 1/3rd when I got of course. Somehow, I missed a left turn and ended up going way uphill from the turn when 5 runners who had been ahead of me came back the other way. The shouted that I was going the wrong way! Ok, I turned around and started following them, shortly after they made a right turn, I knew they were off course again (we had gotten onto part of the 1/2 marathon course) as the trail we got on wasn't marked. I followed anyway, figured at this point it didn't matter.  Pretty soon the trail turned into what I would describe as a "game" trail (used by animals not humans). 4 of the runners were kids and one of them took a header in front of me. Checked on him and he popped back up with just a bit of mud on his shoulder and knees. I'm following the kids as we descend (no way I'm going back up) and we cross a creek and come out into a suburb.  Think my watch was reading just over 4 miles at this point and around mile 5 a guy is getting out of his car and we ask him which way to go to get back to the starting line (China Camp State Park). He says we need to go down, hang a right at stop sign, then turn left on to San Pedro Rd and then it's another 2 miles. He was right about the streets, but wrong on the distance. As we're heading down the street, on of the kids trips coming off sidewalk. His buddies stop for him and I just ask if he's ok, and he replies "I'm fine." I catch up with the runner that they've been chasing, a 50 year old with a Boston Marathon shirt. He pauses to ask someone else for directions and now we're running together. As we come to San Pedro Rd, he decides the other side of the road is a better place to run and speeds up leaving me in the dust. About mile later I can see him cross back over to my side of the road. We go around a turn and I lose him completely. As I come around the turn I see a sign pointing to a street on the left and something about China Camp, I continue on wonder if the guy went that direction. About 1/2 mile later I see pink ribbons on a trail near the road. And then I see the the guy heading up the switch backs. No way I'm going up hill any more then I have to! This is somewhere around mile 6 or so and I just want to get back! I continue on.  Around mile 7.5  I can see other runners on a trail close to the road, but there isn't any real way to get back up to it with out running through grass and rocks and jumping a rail fence. Around mile 8 I can finally see the cars where we had to park and just after mile 8 the access trail back to the campgrounds and the finish area. As I join with the other runners I speed up and pass a few and finally cross the finish line. The course was supposed to be shy of 11K (about 6.5 miles) with about 600' of elevation gain. My watch got just under 8.6 miles and fitbit had about 1300' of elevation gain.  Finish time of 1:22+ was good ro 49th overall and going to say 6 or 7th in age group. It was gorgeous day and didn't really mind that I did extra mileage.

Ray

Art in AZ

Another 3 mile run this morning. Still cool in the morning despite the record tying days we have been having. I hope this isn't an indication of what's coming later this year. Run was good as I felt comfortable and noticed myself speeding up a couple of times so reined that in to stay cool.

Altair - Been running with shorts and long sleeves in the morning also. Feels good once I get going. Your miles will build as the weather gets nicer. When I did construction during the summer here, I was getting up at 3:30 so I could be on site by 5:00. I was the foreman so I had to hook up the trailer every morning which took some time. But you're right, getting off early at 1:00 was nice. But going to bed early was a pain sometimes. This study is testing the effectiveness of a once a week patch. So it went on Saturday and I go back Monday and Wednesday so they can check. Saturday the patch comes off, a new one goes on and the process repeats. We're allowed one shower a day and so far the patch has stuck on really well.

AZ - San Tan is a nice area there. And this time of the year is great for hiking in the morning. I can picture you at the top turning around looking and taking pictures. The Drop 13 is the only race in the area around when we're planning to visit. Hope the schedule can be worked out. I'll have a couple of months after this study to do some serious training if I go. Sounds like your runs are going real well. Good for you.

Rich - Haven't done any 'hangs' except for a few seconds to stretch myself out. Just the pull=ups or chin-ups whenI go that route. I'm impressed by the 50 pushups. I usually get in the low 20s.

Ray - They said no strenuous exercise and are concerned about sweating. So some of the restrictions are no sun bathing, do not use the seat heater in the car, no pillows against the back, avoid vigorous physical activities that would result in excessive sweating, extremely hot showers. So as long as I get out early and go slow I'm fine. Hardly any sweating. Certainly less moisture than taking a shower. Don't you just love it when a race isn't well marked and you get off course. Have been in that situation twice. It's frustrating. At least you had company.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ