50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2017 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

justrundan

The weather cooperated and got out for 6.2 mi of run/walk yesterday afternoon.  The hip/butt/piriformis didn't feel bad, so the PT may be helping!

Dan

Hello everyone!  Hope the end of February finds everyone doing well.

Chantilly - How is the knee?  It looked like a lot of activity a day or two after you had the trouble with it, so I'm hoping that means that you are doing well.

Altair - That sounds like a really nasty tumble!  Glad to hear that it only took you out of running for a few days.  Inspiring stuff that you were back at it again so quickly and just treating it as a lesson learned about form.

az - Those are some nice long runs!  Right now, I'm pretty much sticking to one long run on the weekend and 3-4 mile tempo runs during the week as I can fit them in.  I am getting the itch to run another HM, so I need to start moving toward longer runs during the week.  Where in northern MN are you during the warm months?  My wife is from Warroad on the northern border.  Love getting to go up there once in awhile.  During the summer.

Art -  Sounds like a really nice bike ride in those conditions.  And then the 8.4 miler - nice!  I hope someday that I get to the point where I call an 8+miler a "nice easy run" instead of a long run.    I've never been to an expo before - always had to travel and arrive the day of the race when I ran one that had an expo.  So they're worth seeing if I have the chance?

Dan - Glad you finally were able to get out and enjoy your good weather!  Good to hear that everything felt good and that the PT is doing what it is supposed to for you.  I saw that piece in RW.  Let me know what you think of the trails in NOLA.  It's been about three years, but we do get over there once in awhile during the summers.

I was super happy with my long run this past Saturday - 8.25 miles at an 8:30-8:40 pace.  Yesterday was 3.25 at about a 7:50 average.  Super humid and 84 degrees, so I'll take anything under 8:00/mile.  Running in a nearby 5K Saturday (New Braunfels).  Hoping for good weather and a time under 24:30.

Have a great week everyone!

Hello everyone!

So I got up early again on Saturday and ran a different trail near home.  It was incredible temp of around 35 degrees, a bit overcast but no wind till later in the day.  Finished 7.2 miles, YAY!! On the way back down, ran into our neighbor State Police officer, out for his 2-3 mile hike.  Glad to know he is around on the mountain but it's pretty safe, quiet and beautiful views.  Made it to/met up w/ my HOG chapter bikers who participated again for Big Brothers/Big Sisters Bowl-a-Thon. It was fun catching up, didn't ride my bike and glad I didn't as I ended up staying out w/ them into the evening.  We played pool and had dinner at a Thai place. It got cold and some snow flurries but didn't stick.  However, woke up to overcast skies yesterday, cold and it snow all afternoon/evening, a couple of inches.  Nice today though, about 35 degrees, partly sunny.  Didn't run Sun or Today.  Caught a cold, every joint ached last night, coughing hurts my throat but made it through the night. I don't take anything but woke up w/ a massive headache so finally gave in to some ibuprofen.  Feeling better, hope it's only a 24 hr thing.

mfender:  New Braunfels was about a 30 min drive from where I use to live in S.A. (off I-35/Judson).  Is it humid there yet?  We live permanently on a temporary basis in Bemidji, MN due to DH's work.  We live there year round.  Since I drive back to northern AZ, I will stay longer than DH when we visit family, and I will run dirt trail races when I can on the way and from my trips.  We lived in Denver and I worked for years w/ UofCO so I will visit friends/colleagues and run trail races there as well as in NM.  So how did the 5k go?  Speedy pace times there!

Art:  Have you run the Phoenix Marathon or HM? Forgot about that event.  Is that the one that is held the same weekend as the IMS marathon on the west side?  I've run that b/c it's less crowded.  I go to the expos to pick up race packets and don't spend too much time there b/c I don't want feet to get tired for the actual race but your plan sounds much smarter.

Dan:  Glad the 6+ run went well. Piriformis isn't to much fun when it's acting up.  I've dealt w/ that and found ways to minimize it, usually on my left side.  Bummer you will not run DWD this year.  Like I mentioned, I think I might run the Afton 25k trail race, Christie is running the 50k, that's first weekend in July, and it's between twin cities and your place.

Chantilly:  hope knee is doing better!

Altair:  hope all is well.

Rich:  how are you doing?

Ray:  are you back from China?