50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

Debra-oops, I realized there is an elevation map on the DCHM website. That give me what I need.  It looks like most of the elevation gain is between about mile 4.5 and 5.2.  That seems good; not at the end, thank goodness, and not right in the beginning when we won't be warmed up.  Keep at it!

Dan

rmcj001

Dan - Not sure where things are either, but if I've read the course correctly starting at mile 4 you're at 625 ft at just past mile 5 you hit a peak just shy of 750 ft with the steepest rise between 4.5 - 4.75 (625 - 700) a 5.5% grade.  If I had to guess lighthouse hill would be at 1.25 miles? Looks like there's a lighthouse there, tho the rise looks like about 12 feet, think you see it again at 11.5 miles. Remember, tiny quick steps on the uphills and open up going down Smile  Oh, I have an Electric Motorsport GS1 and a Corbin Sparrow (Covered trike), both highway legal.

AZ - Think you made the right choice on your race and hope your husband gets well soon!

Deb - Hope your ribs are all good now.  HM and relay sound fun, in a masochistic sort of way!

WDWRich - You should've taken work off and gone to Disneyland with your Daughter - mental health day! Big grin  Sounds like your 10K is looking promising!

Marie - Congrats! Wow nice job.  Recently been seeing articles on how to run your best race - just trust your body and mind.  Who knew?!

Awesome race!

Kathy - Morton's?  Ouch!  Like having a broken bone that doesn't heal.  I'm sure you know this, but ditch the heals.  Make sure any shoes have toe box big enough for your foot to spread.  The nerves are inflamed so lots of ice after runs.  If you have to do surgery make sure they go in through the top of the foot (lessens recovery time and complications - from what I've read).  Good luck!

MaryK - In the mid 90's used to push my kids in the jogging strollers.  Wife wouldn't run with me then 'cuz I was yelling the whole time "stroller on your left","stroller on your right" or "stroller coming through".  Wife just felt I was rude, rude, rude!  In '96, just before I tore my knee up ran a 10K in 47:17 pushing my youngest in a stroller starting from the back of a crowded race.  Son got 1st in his AG, I was 22/45.

Art - What race is next?

Looks like I'll be doing the Artichoke Half Marathon this Sunday.  Got two more training runs and maybe some light work on Saturday.  Training schedule I think calls for 10 on Saturday - that ain't gonna happen - maybe a light 3 miles or rest.

Ray

Another tough run in the cold breeze, but tolerable at 10-15 mph, about 32 degrees, cloudy and that was at 2 pm.  Didn't feel like I got out of first gear at all, legs felt like lead after mile 4, walk breaks every 2 miles helped the most, struggled on the return but finished 10 miles!! Forgot to charge my Garmin so it turned off around 9.3 miles, but I know this route so I know I finish at least 10 miles.  Didn't feel like I got enough sleep so I may have been just tired.  Another snowstorm predicted, about 6 to 8 inches starting tomorrow into weekend!!  We are driving to Fargo (about 3 hrs) on Friday to visit DH uncle/aunt and for me to fly from there to PHX. Hope flights are NOT cancelled/delayed!!  SOOOO ready to complain about the PHX heat, haha!!! DH is feeling better each day, so wonderful to hear him laugh now (remember how it was with kids?), and he made dinner.

So I'm resting till Saturday when I have my 10k firefly race in AZ; treating it as a 'training run' as I consider 5ks/10ks as sprint races and I ain't no sprinter!  Also, it's AZ BIKE WEEK so I will be spending some time with my biker buddies most of Saturday before the race.

Dan:  yeah, my May 4th HM race is at 8:30 am MST and I WILL finish sub 2:00.  This will be my third time running this HM and I have finish sub 2:00 for a first place finish in the 50-59 AG two years in a row!! There might be some 50 yr old (I'm 53) who may kick my butt but she'll EARN it, haha!!

Check out the elevation for the marathon.  The HM is on the same course so it starts at 13 mile marker.

http://www.shiprockmarathon.com/pdfs/altitude.pdf

Have a great evening everyone!!

justrundan

Another tough run in the cold breeze, but tolerable at 10-15 mph, about 32 degrees, cloudy and that was at 2 pm.  Didn't feel like I got out of first gear at all, legs felt like lead after mile 4, walk breaks every 2 miles helped the most, struggled on the return but finished 10 miles!! Forgot to charge my Garmin so it turned off around 9.3 miles, but I know this route so I know I finish at least 10 miles.  Didn't feel like I got enough sleep so I may have been just tired.  Another snowstorm predicted, about 6 to 8 inches starting tomorrow into weekend!!  We are driving to Fargo (about 3 hrs) on Friday to visit DH uncle/aunt and for me to fly from there to PHX. Hope flights are NOT cancelled/delayed!!  SOOOO ready to complain about the PHX heat, haha!!! DH is feeling better each day, so wonderful to hear him laugh now (remember how it was with kids?), and he made dinner.

So I'm resting till Saturday when I have my 10k firefly race in AZ; treating it as a 'training run' as I consider 5ks/10ks as sprint races and I ain't no sprinter!  Also, it's AZ BIKE WEEK so I will be spending some time with my biker buddies most of Saturday before the race.

Dan:  yeah, my May 4th HM race is at 8:30 am MST and I WILL finish sub 2:00.  This will be my third time running this HM and I have finish sub 2:00 for a first place finish in the 50-59 AG two years in a row!! There might be some 50 yr old (I'm 53) who may kick my butt but she'll EARN it, haha!!

Check out the elevation for the marathon.  The HM is on the same course so it starts at 13 mile marker.

http://www.shiprockmarathon.com/pdfs/altitude.pdf

Have a great evening everyone!!

Wow, that's a nice drop in elevation!  You'd think they'd let the reigning Queen run this with no fee!!  With your training you'll kick this for sure.  With your early start  you will finish earlier AND faster than me.  Sub 2:00; I can dream!    Enjoy the bike week; I went out to get my BMW ready (in a fit of enthusiasm before the recent cold spell/ice storm hit) and my batter is deader than a door nail.  Had  it on battery tender all winter, but it gave up the ghost.  Off to get a new one this weekend.  No rush, though, with our forecast!  Angry  Tempo run for me tomorrow, light Friday, then trying to get in the 13.1 Saturday.  Will throw in some hills if I can get outside.

Ray- I think you're right about the location of the steepest hill;  I'll work on my technique and hope to be able to push through the hill running the entire way.

Warm up, and run strong friends.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Ray is correct about the climb at 4.5 miles which takes us up the bluff.  Last year, mile 7 to 8 up Middle Rd. was the section that kicked my behind.  The hill at 11.5 miles at Eagle Bluff lighthouse is not a big hill and I've run it lots of times, but with my lack of hill training last year and general inexperience it felt so much harder than Sven's Bluff.  That little hill isn't scary, but a lot of cyclists dismount  and walk their bikes to get up that thing!  I just want to prepare you, and let you know it's not an ant hill.Smile  A copy of the course map has a permanent place of honor on my bulletin board to remind me to respect the hills in this particular race.  You are going to have a great race because you are better prepared for it than I was.  Have a great 13 mile run this weekend.  We are due for some dry weather soon, don't you agree?

Ray~Rib pain has vanished, thanks!  No more lifting boxes or washing windows for me, I guess?  Run strong at the Artichoke HM this weekend.  Love the name of the race!Big grin  We'll be looking forward to a detailed race report.

Another day of thunderstorms and rain, rain, rain!  Our drought is officially over.  Ran w/ DS2 at the indoor track today, 3 for him and 5 for me.  Many collegiate and HS track teams running drills today.  Those young athletes make me feel so old and so slow.   It is a pleasure to watch them run though, with such ease as they float across the track.

Lots of crazy weather moving across the country this week.  Run strong,and be careful out there friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

A while back someone asked what we do here in Arizona during the summer. We do this. http://scottsdalebeattheheat.com This will be the inaugural run of this event. Piece of cake right?

Dan - Good luck this weekend on getting the 13.1 run in. It will help with your HM in a few weeks.

Ray - My next race is 04/27. The Too Hot to Trot 5K. Though I am seriously thinking of doing the Scottsdale Beat the Heat event. Have fun during the HM this Sunday. I would rest on Saturday or go for a walk. That's what I usually do before a HM.

az2mn - Oh that would be so cruel having the flights cancelled. Good luck at the Firefly Saturday. I completely forgot about you and your bike. The whole AZ Bike Week has been happening for a few days and it's been interesting seeing some of the different bikes out and about.

Everyone else enjoy the weekend

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Change of plans. So much happened today. It turned out to be the 'calm' before the 'storm.'  DH felt he was getting over his illness. He is still recovering from pneumonia. However, he had a nosebleed around 9 pm last night that wouldn't stop despite attempts.  He told me he will be ok so I went to bed around midnight.  Since his MI, he is on meds that interfere with clotting. The nosebleed forced him to swallow the blood which made him nauseous, thus throwing up since 2:30 am which resulted in chest pains. Got to ER around 3 am, nosebleed stopped by cauterization by ER Doc but DH had bad reaction to the nitroglycerine.  That was so scary and I was so relieved it happened in the ER!!. He was admitted for observation, tests taken, cardiologist checked in, tests normal, came home around 1 pm.  While DH slept, I changed flight plans.  I paid insurance for 10k race on Saturday so getting fee back.  Called daughter on change of plans.  Will be able to do some of my work from home next week via conference calls, etc. Snowstorm hit around 10 am, temps dropped, and it got bitterly cold!! Went to store for needed supplies including humidifier during a calming period in the storm.  Cried in the parking lot. Felt better. Came home, hugged DH. Made dinner.  Forced myself to eat since I hadn't eaten all day.  DH feeling better tonight.  Such a relief. Nothing else really matters right now.  I'm depleted but too tired to sleep.  But will depend on the weather to dictate my running days.  Until then, just breath.  All is well.

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Oh, you must've been so frightened!  Take care of DH and yourself.  Praying for sunnier days and a break from the trials you both have been through lately.(((hugs)))

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

AZ- Sorry to hear of your unfortunate events last night.  Keep a stiff upper lip.  Running events will still be there.  Right now the important thing is to take care of dh and yourself.

Hoping things get better soon,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

dyykjt1

Oh AZ! My heart goes out to you. So scary for you I am sure. It is situations like this that put things into perspective. So you miss a 10K and a training run. It really does not matter in the big scheme of things. Life happens and we just have to adjust and deal the best we can. I am glad you had a good cry and let out all those feelings and stress. Sometimes a good cry can be very cleansing for the soul. Prayers are with you and your husband.

Art in AZ

az - Sorry things didn't go as planned. But like the others have said, family is more important. Hoping for the best for the two of you.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

O wow AZ!  I can just see that happening.  Praying for a good nights sleep and  recovery for DH.  Hang in there through the cold and hunker down with DH and get through.  Be good to both of you!

Dan

rmcj001

AZ - Hope all is well, or improving.  Sending positive thoughts your way...

Ray

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

AZ, my thoughts and prayers are with your husband and you. May he have healing and you find comfort and strength.

A good cry is good for the soul.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

WDWRich

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the attacks at the Boston Marathon.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54