50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Hope you get in some good runs this w/e. The weather should be co-operating, from what I've seen.

I keep all my old shoes, clean them up and wear them for everything else.

Art in AZ Nice distance along the canal. You will be busy with your 3 races lined up into Dec.

Rest day/back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under cloudy skies and windy. Wind had a cool feel to it as the temps were in the mid to upper 70s.

Planning on a quick 3 mile run tomorrow as I have work to do in the morning.

Chantilly - I do the same with my old shoes. They become garage or yard shoes until no good at all.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

These occasionally 'morning' runs can become a habit!! Nice cool 65 this morning, slight overcast/breeze as I ran the X-country trails in the state park on the north side which I hadn't run since last summer.  Nice change of scenery, a few rolling hills. Most of this area is groomed and wide with grass mostly.  Finished around 7 miles.  Took 30 sec stretch breaks, knee/calf injury area didn't relax until after 30 mins, took it easy.

We got invited out to dinner with 3 couples, luckily DH can get his swim in a little early and meet us there.  Rest day tomorrow, long run Sunday.

There's an organization in AZ that takes gently used running shoes at some of the races so I donate them there.

NH Runner

Friday, 8/26... I've been riding the bike the day after a run and kept that routine going today with an 8 miler on the railtrail.    Kept a steady pace and made my legs a little tired, but today's ride was mainly for recovery.     Local "Apple Pie Fair" tomorrow, lots of vendors, crafts and goodies to buy.   Odds are, it'll be a day off for me...

Chantilly... Puma e-mailed me the other day to say my new shoes had been shipped, but I haven't seen 'em yet.    I'm hoping a 4mm heel lift keeps me out of trouble, but if not, I can always revert back to my Asics Dinosaurs...lol  I used to love those shoes, but hate the way they restrict your foot's movement today.    40 degrees!   Yikes! lol

az... do you like a lot of cushioning in your shoes?    I don't and why I probably wouldn't like Hokas.    Not to worry about feeling sorry for yourself, I have my own "pity parties" on a regular basis...lol

Art... I refuse to turn my back to traffic on the highway, whether running or riding Isabel.      Some drivers are careless, but like you said, some intentionally ride in the breakdown lane.      And I'm not sure about a cottage industry for producing trykes, I'd rather be a consultant and let someone else have the headaches...lol

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/27... took the day off.

Sunday, 8/28... 15.2 road miles on Isabel this morning.

Art in AZ

9 miles with clear sunny skies. Then a little more work in the garden getting the soil ready. Then planted some seeds in those little plastic trays. None of the stores had any seedlings yet. Too early according to them. In a couple of weeks they will start stocking the plants. At least the soil here will be ready.

AZ - Morning runs can be addictive. Makes planning the rest of the day a little easier.

Rich - Yumm, apple pie. I think it's about another 6 weeks before the orchards further North start their picking season. Fun time walking and picking apples and sightseeing. Makes for a nice day trip.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

9 miles with clear sunny skies. Then a little more work in the garden getting the soil ready.

AZ - Morning runs can be addictive. Makes planning the rest of the day a little easier.

Art:  Most runners agree with you but my body doesn't, it prefers later in the day or evenings.  I like to reflect on the events at the end of a busy day.  But it depends on what I have planned for the day/week, and I tend to make the change accordingly.  I really don't sweat about it.

Is there a difference between the type of soil for veggies and flowers?  Getting the soil ready for a second go-round or for next season?

Not feeling a 'run' yesterday, high HUMIDITY from late night rain showers was not making it easier.  Anyway, can probably get 8-10 miles in on paved trail through the park but I was getting bored thinking about it on the drive there.  Jeeeezzz!! Excuses!!   Started on paved trail and then made the turn on the X-country trails instead!   This is gonna be about quality over quantity ..........since I'm gonna drag my butt on this run.  About 2 miles, I realized I forgot the mosquitoe spray!! Not fun!!  Ran a few decent hills.  Took 30 sec stretch breaks.  Finished 5.1 miles.  And trying not to scratch ........

NH Runner

Monday, 8/29... 8 mile run today on the railtrail.   Wore my Asics shoes again, but my heel bothered a little just the same.   Waiting now for the new Puma shoes to arrive in the mail, they're due tomorrow.    I'll take 'em for a run and depending how that goes, either run the half on Saturday or throw in the towel and just continue to train.

Art... I'm looking at putting the garden to bed soon 'til next Spring...lol   And we're also about 6 weeks away from picking apples, love this time of year.    We always drive to an orchard in Vermont for apple picking and come home with apple cider and maple syrup as well...lol   Congrats on the 9 miler...

az... not all runs are created equal, eh? lol   Stop that scratching! lol

Art in AZ

No run today just exercise and stretching before an early day of work. Got lots of exercise at the job going up and down the ladder pulling cable for a network.

AZ - There's no difference between the soil in my book. I replenish the soil with some compost, peat moss and dried manure to replace some of the nutrients from the previous planting. Plus it takes a beating with the summer sun. Started seeds for the first round of winter crops.

Rich - Funny how your garden is getting ready to hibernate for the winter and mine is just getting started. Hope the new shoes work out for you.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Parts of it at a faster pace. Nice morning for a run. Now to get ready for work. More ladder climbing.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Sunny day, less HUMID!! About 65 degrees, 60% humidity this morning as I started on the paved trail in the state park.  Lots of bikers with family/strollers and fast cyclists on the trail.  Busy, happening place in the mornings, LOL!!   The first mile was tough!  Injury area was very  tight/stiff, I did pre-run stretches at home and after parking.  I had to take FOUR 30 secs stretch breaks/easy squats within a mile!!  It finally relaxed but took 30 sec stretch breaks every 1/2 mile.  It's flat, paved trail, very boring!!  Glad for the tree shade though. Lots of "self talk" to motivate myself on the boring run.   Finished 12.1 miles, YIPPEE!!

NH:  how were the new kicks? Saturday race, right?  I hope you go for it, just finish ..........that's my plan for my Sept 18 HM trail race in NE on my way to AZ.  Hills are gonna kick my butt for sure on that race but the scenery should be spectacular.  The location has gotten alot of rain lately.

Art: What are the winter crops that you plant?  Cooler temps should help.  Cross-training on the job, great multi-tasking!!

Chantilly:  I renewed my gym membership after all ..........will be grateful during the brutal artic winter months, I think But I am getting use to the consistent weight workout.  Taper time for you?

Dan:  The Eau Claire trail race is Nov 5th but we haven't registered yet.  Like I mentioned, there is the 12.5K (7.7miles) race distance, is the expense worth it?  If I travel a few hours, the race distance has to be at least a HM.  Just sayin' ...........hope your schedule is allowing some training mileage.  Oh, the Rails to Trails that you ran in is Nov 6th, right?  Have you thought about that?

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Some nice runs there after your race. Do you sit the seedlings outside in their little containers?  They would dry out quickly in your weather, I imagine. Do you have a little cover for them?

az2mntrail Nice for you to get out on your trails.  I wouldn't have thought there were many hills in NE. Eau Claire is a nice little town. I was there a couple of times back in the '90's, but not since.

www.calicoracing.com  in NV has a bunch of trail races, all different lengths in the fall. They are the ones who put on the ET midnight marathon I ran. They are an excellent organization. Even though they seem to be based in LV, their races are outside of the city. You might find something on their website that interests you.

NH Runner Hope your heel holds up for the race and the new Puma shoes are the ones which help you out.  Nice trip, apple-picking and maple syrup! Now for the pie....

After working, I ended up with this summer cold that is going around, sinus pain, cough, headache, so no runs for several days. I did 3 hrs. of yard work, mowing, weeding, some general fall clean outs, replaced a couple of perennials, cut back some black spot on my rose bushes, which really took a beating this year due to tent caterpillars earlier, then some kind of grub/slug thing and then this black spot.

Sonata Arctica

THANKS Chantilly!! I've been thinking of a NV race .........We usually ride our Harleys to Las Vegas from our northern AZ home, we usually stay in Henderson, see a show and ride back, great weekend trip but it can get pretty windy/dusty on some days.  Have been lucky so far OH NO!! Summer colds/sinus stuff are the worst! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail I hope you can get in some good races this fall. It is sure convenient to have a gym membership in the winter.

2 mile run on the track.  Still coughing some and didn't feel that well.

5 minutes stationary bike.

11 days till the FM.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/30... 8 mile railtrail mtn bike ride

Wednesday, 8/31... took Isabel out for 10 miles on railtrail this morning.   Riding a section I've previously avoided because of the soft conditions, it was really noticeable how much stronger I've gotten since I started riding the tryke in June.    I muscled through stuff that would have stopped me cold 2 months ago, nice to see results for the effort.    I received the new Pumas, but haven't run in them yet, I'll do that tomorrow.    First impression is they're a little stiff, but otherwise comfortable enough...

Art... I'm about half done cleaning out the garden.   I didn't do well pollinating the corn, but did get 3 ears...lol   Enough for a taste test and I have to say it's the best I've had this year, but don't know whether I'll try again next year or not.   Shocked me how good it was...lol

az... I didn't pay close enough attention to color when I ordered the new shoes and ended up with a blaze orange as the main color...lol   They feel pretty good, I notice the 4 mm heel lift, but it's not a lot.    FYI, I found the offending muscle in my hamstring this morning with my fingertips and was surprised at how painful it was just to knead the thing.   I think massaging is what it's going to take to loosen it, stretching alone seems to be just a temporary fix.   Something for you to consider.     And yes, the half is this Saturday.   Not sure how sane it is to try running a half on 15 miles of running per week, but maybe the crosstraining I've done will carry me through.    I'll run in the new shoes tomorrow, if they feel ok, I'll be at the start line on Saturday.   I haven't run many races with the goal to just finish, but I'm REALLY looking forward to this one, regardless of my time...lol

Chantilly... I'm reasonably sure the Pumas are going to work, but tomorrow will be the test.    What a time to get a cold, hang in there!     Doing yard work the other day, I managed to get stung by a wasp on my ankle... ouch!! lol