50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2018 (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

3 miles again this morning. Last run was Wednesday so almost a week between runs. Longest break in a Long time. I do get some exercises in during the day so it's not a total loss.

Altair - Those are some crazy hours you put in. The overtime pay is nice but your body does take a hit.

AZ - Nice report on the trail run. The views in that area are spectacular. Hope you feel better.

Rich - The colder temps in the morning kind of put a damper on going for a run. They're talking colder weather and rain over night so will wait to see what morning brings.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I'll have to post more comments later, but congratulations az on completing the 55K! You are tough doing it in the cold weather when you felt sick and then keeping going after puking and having the sore knee! Hope you feel better!

Well, after doing the two 4 mile runs last week I had Friday and Saturday off from work! My plan was to do some 8 or 9 mile runs. It was overcast, chilly, damp and gloomy on Friday and I was feeling tired. I just was procrastinating working on a music CD (Transferred Mahler's 9th from vinyl) and by the time I got going had to settle for a shorter 5 mile run. Did well the first half, then just felt tired, legs felt heavy. Could it have been the new shoes? They are not wore down like the old ones and I do have to lift up higher to not scrape the heels on the ground. I did a number of rest stops. Did a short walk on a trail and returned to the road, but did not feel better, felt like walking but continued jogging. I guess all the overtime at work caught up with me. Saturday I did household chores and was tired and just rested. Sometimes you just don't have the get up and go. Sunday I worked from 6:30 AM until 9 PM, so no run. Felt much better Monday, Sunny, 48 degrees and windy. Wore shorts and long tee shirt and did a 7 1/2 mile run. Felt good, decent speed. Saw some fields starting to look more green and a sports car drove by with top down! Repeated the run Tuesday, this time a sunny 58 degrees and windy, shorts, short sleeve tee shirt and took my camera this time! Again did well and when I got back I saw the first flowers in my bed, snowdrops and a crocus! Still warm today on my day off, but rain is predicted later today which will become snow by tomorrow! Will have to go out running soon. Will look to see when the rain is expected, hope I will have time for a longer run! Here are some of yesterday's photos :

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Legs felt a bit sore today, but ready for a good run. I put on shorts and short sleeve tee. It was sunny and 61 degrees, but became overcast just before I got out to run. About a mile into the run it began to sprinkle and there was heavy winds. It turned into a light rain and it stung as it was driving right into my face. I considered shortening my run, but could see clearing in the distance and I was warm from running. The rain stopped by mile 4. A bit of sun came out, then overcast again. Had some hills to climb and began to tire, but kept going. A bit more rain before I finished. The temperature now about 50 degrees.Almost 10 miles, my longest run since last November. Good that I will get more varied choices of running course now that I am up for greater distance. More rain and heavy snow expected, not sure how much running I can do in the next few days.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Az... I think I've finally figured you out, you just rely on toughness and jump right into these things...lol  I wouldn't have a clue how to train for a 34 mile trail ultra or what to even expect!    Congratulations on your finish, really impressive!!

2/25... inclement weather, no run but did floor exercises

2/26... 4 mile trail run wearing boots in the new snow, 4 miles

2/27...  5 mile trail run / Yaktrax...

Rich: LOL! That's part of it. I know I can finish, may not be pretty but I'm pretty determined. Fighting off a cold for weeks before any race certainly affects training. Also, its tough to know how your nutrition will work out, so much depends on weather & logistics of aid stations so its really up to you to know what & how much to carry. I didn't get in runs of at least 26 miles on my long training runs. Its 'time on feet' during quality runs that is critical for such distances IMO. I'm hoping to run a couple of more 50K+ this year and then a 50 miler!!   Regardless I'm glad & happy with my finish.

Good job on running in the snow & cold. What do you mean "run wearing boots?" What kind of boots? Do u like Yaktrax?

Altair: love the photos!! Thanks for sharing   Wow, such extreme changes in weather there ...... as is here in northern AZ. It snowed here, about 8 inches!! Skiers are happy!  Trails are muddy & slushy but sun came out today, just gorgeous! Good to hear that you are getting some miles in despite work demands. Remind me of your next race.