50 and over 5k and beyond

April 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

adkkev

Chantilly - nice running!!  love the avatar too.

Ray - VERY nice running there young man!!

Az - those are some pretty good miles on the treadmill ... even on a hotel treadmill too!  and then an 18 miler today!!

5.25 miles for me today on the nature trail.  Cool & cloudy, threatened to shower but it stayed dry for the run.  Temp in the mid 50s.  I kept looking for trilliums in the woods along the trail, probably just a little too early for them but they are such beautiful flowers.  Blink and they're gone too.

Can you all tell I missed you?!? LOL!! Spring days have finally arrived and hope it's the end of COLD dreary days!!

I am anxiously anticipating my upcoming 25k 'hilly' trail race in Lutsen, MN on May 16.  We booked a hotel room and decided to stay the weekend and explore upper Lake Superior.  Then the following week, we will be taking our first train ride to Seattle for another conference. I hope to run a HM trail race outside of Seattle.  May will be an adventurous month! YAY!

Rained last night, cloudy, breezy this morning but the sun broke through, 11mph breeze, about 60 degrees when I finished my 4.5 miles recovery run.  Easy and steady, leg muscles felt good.  Rest of the week predicted to be similar in regard to weather.  

NH Runner

Tuesday, 4/28... 4 mile railtrail recovery run today followed by a 4 mile trike ride later in the day.    Running by feel this week, paying more attention to how I feel rather than miles run.    That's what cut-back week's for, eh?

Ray... solid week of training, looking good for the approaching marathon!

az... nice week for you as well, that 18.1 was a nice way to finish the week.    I was hoping Desi would pull it off at Boston too.   I don't think she ever slowed down, the leaders just pulled away.    She said afterwards she tried to run the legs off the competition, but when the pace dropped to 5:10's, she knew it was over.   When she's healthy, she's awesome to watch...

adkkev... your last run on the nature trail sounds like fun, good for you...

adkkev

Another nice run on the nature trail & rail trail this afternoon ... 4.75 miles in the bright sunshine.  Just a couple people out walking & running and I met several bikers on my short stint on the rail trail.

rmcj001

Thought you all might enjoy this NY Times article about arthritis.  Nothing we don't know, but good to hear anyway.

Tue, 4/28, 9.3 miles in just over 79 minutes.  Weird weather, Monday 80+, yesterday ~70F.  I can tell I ran a little harder yesterday.

Az - lots of travel lately and lots of activity!  Some damn good mileage you've been getting in.  Awesome!

Adkkev - Good to see you back!  It is good that you stayed active during the winter - we didn't get it here...

NHRich - Gotta keep moving.  We can rest when we're dead  With the trike and the rail trail, I see a good race season ahead for you!

Chantilly - Racking up the miles, all those doubles and a new avatar!  You go girl!

Art - Xeriscape?  Although in Az, I guess that would be native plants as well.  DW has really gotten into native plants this last year.  Although, they need to be in the proper environment.  We all know redwood trees are native to CA, but the coast redwood needs to be near a fog source (hence coast).  With the drought they are a ton of dead/dying redwoods that were planted in the wrong places...

Dan - Cool that you got so many days in while at your conference!  I hear you on sleeping better when the SO is around.

Gito - Hope things go/went well in Florida.  It is tough dealing with parents...

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/29... another easy paced run today, 5 miles on the railtrail.    I'm enjoying this cut-back week, instead of a "Gump Run", it's a "Gump Week"...lol

Ray... I hope you're right about the upcoming race season.    I can't run with the local guys at the top of my age group, so a PR or 2 would be nice.   For what it's worth, I'm actually enjoying running now more than ever.   Less stressing over the small stuff and training like I have a brain might be why...   Nice run yesterday.   And thanks for the Times article, it's a good read for someone inclined to recline...

adkkev... you do a good job of maintaining and enjoying yourself while you do...

adkkev

4.5 trail miles late this afternoon at an easy pace ... four geese (one sitting on her nest), two ducks, one snake, numerous turtles & songbirds, and I spotted two trillium flowers over in the woods as I rambled along.  Beautiful weather - sunshine, temp around 70, nice breeze to keep you cool as you run along.

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning with the usual clear blue skies. Hardly anybody on the route this morning.

Ray - Nice accumulation of miles and running days. I don't have anything in the front yard other than the trees. The backyard is where all the action is. Too bad on the misplaced redwoods. It's funny how people try to get something to grow without taking in the local conditions.

adkkev - Do the "spectators" line up as you pass and cheer you on?   The ducks here along the canal just sit there and ignore me.

az - Looks like you're all ready for the 25K in a couple of weeks. Hardly anything around here now except 5Ks because of the weather. Have to look farther away for anything of length.

Rich - A Gump week. Love it. Sometimes running by feel is the way to go.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 4/30... another 5 miler today, this one on the road and through the covered bridge.    I've been waiting on my legs to catch up to the miles I've been running and they've been slow to come around.    So today I grabbed the foam roller and tortured myself with that thing for about 15 minutes and found more hotspots than I could count.    I didn't take care of 'em all, but did get my legs back to feeling somewhat normal again.   Kind of a relief to be able to do that, I was beginning to wonder if they ever would...lol    Anyway, today's splits were 9:28, 9:10, 9:05, 8:49 and 8:54.

adkkev... lots of wildlife on your run yesterday.    I've seen a few wild turkeys on the railtrail lately and a Fisher Cat a while ago, but that's been it.

Art... I've been doing Gump Runs lately because recovery has been so slow.     Maybe re-discovering the foam roller will put an end to all that...lol   Gump Runs are fun though, I think adkkev's been doing a few of his own from the sounds...lol   Congrats on the 8 miler...

Love these nice, breezy, partly sunny, not-so-warm 60-65 degree days ......so far .  Ran later in afternoon.  About 65 degrees, 11mph breeze.  A couple of female runners while running around the neighborhood for a couple of laps, waved to them.  I see them now and then, and they don't run far, probably a couple of miles.  Anyway, I headed onto dirt road to lake and around fairgrounds.  Lake road is quiet and the solitude makes for deep thoughts and anticipation for the upcoming races/trips.  Was planning on 8-10 miles but felt so good and legs muscles getting in the 'groove' ........so ended up with a 12 miler, YIPPEE!! 

Art:  With temps getting in the 90s in 'the valley', high country running is always tempting.  How often do you travel out of town for races in the summer?

adkkev:  The breeze sure does help with 60+ temps here too, and so far, low humidity.  Not many 'spectators' along my route except that I spooked a couple of 'birds' and squirrels .......or rather they spooked me, LOL!!

NH:  The foam roller does wonders for me after each run especially my calves and back.  I use a massage stick as well which I take on trips.  Leg muscles sometimes just get bratty and don't want to do what you want them to do ..........glad the roller put them in their place, LOL!!  Those splits are looking good!!

Deb:  thinking of you.

Chantilly75

adkev Your nature trail sounds very pleasant to run along in.

az2mntrail Nice to see that it has warmed up for you; those 12 & 18 milers will help you on the 16th!

Yes, I am still looking at the centre of the nation series. I would have to pick up on day 2(15th) in ND, then SD, then possibly WY. Couldn't manage more than 2 or 3 marathons in a row.   Would you be interested in ND, SD?

NH Runner You are getting some good workouts with that tryke. Good running outside on your trail.  It is all clear, now? No mud?

rmcj001 Hope you get some rain this year. It is important to plant the right trees/shrubs in the right eco-system, isn't it?

4 miles yesterday plus some yard work and fooling around on my bicycle.

14 miles today.  Now back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica