50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 3/31... 6 mile run today.  I started out thinking the railtrail would be a good place to run to escape the wind, but was I ever wrong.   I wore Yaktrax to help with the icy conditions, but didn't take into account how rough the footing would be and ended up walking quite a bit.   Anyway, at 2 miles the railtrail crosses a road and that's where I said goodbye and took to the pavement.

I've been following this guy's advice on how to run and stay injury free... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis but am avoiding the business of trying to do 6 new things at once and running like a robot.   Today's splits looked like this... 13:10, 12:31, 10:12, 9:12, 8:54 and 8:50, so it LOOKS like I'll be able to run quicker once I get used to the form changes I've made.     Anyway, if you get a minute, watch the video, it makes a lot of sense.

dan... cross training takes on many forms doesn't it?    Good for you to help a friend...

az... 8 miles ain't too shabby, nice run!   Sorry about your cousin, 60 years is so young..

Fletch... it's hard to tell you're new to running, running 12 milers already.   I'm curious, have you noticed an increase in your energy level since you took up running?

Fletch

Rich - Nice 6 mile run.  I agree...it looks like your form changes are going to really help.  I watched the video.  Funny, even though he didn't call it Chi running, the PT I was seeing basically had me make the changes that ended in the same result, or close to it.  By having me lean forward, and shorten my stride, I now strike mid-foot, with my foot more underneath my body.  And it seems to work for me.

And yes, since I started running, I have noticed:

•  I have more energy
      •  I feel better, in general
      •  My lower back flare-ups are much more infrequent (may be due to the diligence about stretching after every run)

And on a few side notes, I've also noticed:

•  Someone snuck into my closet and stretched out the waist band in all of my pants.
      •  DW's cooking must have gotten even better...I eat much more than I used to.
      •  The North Carolina Department of Transportation has been busy adding hills to all the roads in town.
      •  If you run fast enough, 20 degrees doesn't feel quite so cold. 
      adkkev

Ended March with a 6.5 mile run around town while the sun set & a very thin crescent moon rose ... very pretty.  A bit of a breeze but it wasn't that cold so I didn't mind it.

All the dire predictions about bad weather over the weekend pretty much failed to materialize ... we had some steady rain overnight Sat into Sunday & then a short burst of sleet around 11pm Sunday night.  Fine by me ...

Nice running Rich & Fletch!

Lucky to go for my run when I did .........storm going through, ugh!!  Work kept me at my desk till noon. I kept looking out and it was get more cloudy and breezy.  About 32 degrees, 18mph wind, felt like 20 degrees.  Barely made it 1/4 of a mile when it started to rain.  Just kept going, I've run in worst conditions.  Glad I wore my outer shell jacket (which is an incredible windbreaker) but should have worn a cap to keep rain off my face.  Glad I wore my balaclava though but it still felt like a whiplash on my face in the headwind.  After yesterday's 8 mile slow and easy run; today, in part to get out of impending sleet/snow, decided to pick up the pace but still took 30 seconds walk break after each 2 miles.  Was hoping to run 5-6 miles but rain turned to sleet, getting colder:  9:29, 9:29, 9:49, 9:48 ...... wind picking up, starting to snow so headed home into the headwind, that was tough! Last mile 9:55, treated it as a 'cool down'.  Finished 5.1 mile, 48:29 min.  I still went to my Zumba class after to extend my post-run stretching, LOL!! Snowplows are everywhere so driving home was pretty slow.

I will be checking in when I can while being 'home' in AZ/NM.

You all take care, be safe and run safe.

Fletch

Sounds like a very pleasant run, adkkev. Glad the bad weather missed you.

Az, your run doesn't sound so pleasant, weather-wise...but at least you got out there and ran.  Safe travels to you.

5 miles this morning, with hill sprints between miles 3 and 4.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 4/1... we're SUPPOSED to be starting a new month...     4 miles on the treadmill.   I'm supposed to do 400M intervals today according to my half marathon plan, but everything's still covered with snow, so it was on to the treadmill and plan B.   1 mile warm-up, then 2 miles of alternating between 60 seconds @ 4mph and 60 seconds @ 7, then a 1 mile cool down.   The sprint portions covered roughly 200 yards, so it wasn't what the plan called for, but close enough.  I ended up doing a total of 12.

Fletch... running is awesome stuff, isn't it?   Lower blood pressure, lower weight, better appetite, better energy, the list is long and on.    Probably the best benefit is the races we get to do, they're just plain fun...   Nice 5 miler with hills, they're speedwork in disguise...

az... we'll be looking for a weather report when you hit Arizona, you lucky devil you.   Nice run!

adkkev... nice run outside!   NH's weather was the same over the weekend, the predictions didn't live up to the hype...

rmcj001

Don't want to mix months...

Fletch - your training is going well!  One thing that happened for me is my cholesterol level went from 169 to 127, so another benefit to running.

Rich - So, you're going the "Chi" route for form?  Sounds good to me.  Achilles seems to be holding up, best news yet!

Az - My condolences, I know it isn't easy.  Glad you've been able to get out and run.  Good to hear you're heading back to Az, even if only for a bit.

adkkev - That's good news, right?   Good to hear you're out running under the stars, I know you like that.

Saturday, 3/29, evening - didn't get enough steps in during the day so did a 3.1 TM run in 26:00 - felt good.

Sunday, 3/30, 10 mile run in the morning in 1:25:14 around the San Francisquito Creek between Palo Alto and Menlo park.  Wanted to do dish to home, but wife wanted to visit some nurseries in north bay, so chose shorter quicker route.  Another 7 miles hiking near "Devil's Slide" on highway 1.  Got my hill work in there.

Monday, 3/31, 7.4 miles running at work - last half in the rain - completely soaked when I got back to work.  Az, you'll appreciate the mile times 9:04, 8:33, 8:34, 8:20 (rain starts near end of mile 4),  7:55, 7:48, 7:35, 7:50.  Was walking back to office and had to start jogging cuz the rain just kept getting heavier.  It was fun!

March stats: 31 days of running 236.9 miles in 33:48:20 - most miles in a month, most days run in a month.

Ray