50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 22 times)

WDWRich

It's time for a new thread!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

WDWRich

8 miles as planned on Saturday.  Weather was pleasant.  The route I took was mostly flat with just a few rolling grades, but nothing too steep.

Just over a month out from the SD HM with DD.  She ran a virtual half yesterday, finishing in 2:14.  I hope I can keep up with her.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Nana_

I had pre-paid a Half Marathon for Feb. 1st and didn't train, so I was going to forfeit it.

But I decided to just jog/walk it at ratio 3:1 and

Sunday .... so I did complete the 13.1

Monday ... Walked 1 mile, twice, just to keep from getting stiff

Tues/Weds likely just walk a bit

Thurs&Sat ..  get back to running   e-a-s-y.  Friday=rest day

Mental note to Never Again complete a Half Marathon on no training.

Rich - nice 8, have fun at the SD H :-)

NH Runner

Sunday, 2/1... 4 miles of XC skate skiing on the railtrail.   Conditions were slow, so an excellent workout.

Monday, 2/2... 4 miles seems to be the magic number, today it was 4 on the treadmill.   Easy pace for the first 3 miles, then gradually increased the pace throughout the last mile.    Another foot of snow arrived in NH today, I think I hate winter...

Rich... nice run!   You must be looking forward to running the half with DD, you two are building memories.

Jo... I'm wondering if you understand what happens when you stop training.    You have about a week, then your body starts losing all the fitness you worked so hard to gain.    Sounds like you're back on track again, but I thought that bit of info might be a good motivator for you, it sure works for me...

Fletch

Happy February everyone!

Az - I checked out your links - looks like some great trails to run. The NZ one looks like a beautiful run!

Art - Nice 14 miler in the fog. I've had a few early morning runs like that. Almost makes you feel like you're running in a bubble.

Dan - Good runs on Friday and Saturday. Kudos on the monthly total. You're going to be in great shape for your HM in May.

WDW Rich - Nice 8 miler. Looking good for your HM.

Jo - Good to hear from you. HM is a long distance to tackle without training. At least you were smart and didn't push it too hard. Keep us posted on your progress with re-starting your training.

NH Rich - Nice work on the skis and TM. With that much snow, I'd be hating winter, too!

Happy times in the Fletch household. DW is thrilled with the outcome of the Super Bowl (she named our dog...his name is Brady...enough said!). It was a fun game to watch!

Joined a couple of friends from the Freaky Fast gang for a 10 mile run Saturday. I think my body was still not fully recovered from the flu last week. I knew in mile one that it was going to be a struggle, and it was. Almost bagged it at 6 miles, but decided to suck it up and finish the 10. It was miserable, but I'm glad I did. Just one of those days that didn't feel good. Rested Sunday, other than a nice 4 mile walk with DW. Felt much better today. Got in a short 3.5 mile run around midday.

Run safe!

Saturday: went to gym to run, very frigid to run outside and ICY.  I wanted to get my long run in, 12 -13 miles.  After running a couple of miles on track, the gym got packed with families!! It was chaotic!!  Kids screaming and babies crying, people ALL over the track with their kids, coughing and sniffling!!   Lucky I finished 6.2 miles at all, cycle 15 mins and 15 mins elliptical and just had to leave.  Got home and had to get something from detached shop/garage. Took a couple of steps on front walkway and slipped!!   $&#$!!  My right hip/thigh took brunt of fall.  I tried to soften the blow by placing hand on sidewalk but it slipped, arm flatten out!! "This is gonna hurt" ....... The movements were soooo slow that I had time to make sure I didn't hit my head on the sidewalk!! So LUCKY my shoulder didn't dislocate!!   I laid there accessing any other damage.  I had to laugh because I couldn't get up!! It was too ICY .......had to roll to the side into the snow!!   Huge bruise on hip and shoulder is pretty sore.  But legs and feet are good.

Sunday:  it was another SUNNY day but colder, temps 0 degrees, 7mph wind, feels -13 ......but I bundled up and only finished 2 miles, just too darn cold but it loosen up muscle and stiffness.  Can't lift weights for awhile, shoulder is still pretty sore.  But I can still run!! WHEW!!   DH is back from AZ and he's making me take ibuprofen (I don't like it)!! I know, I know ..... shoulder felt better after.

Monday (today):  around 1 pm, 10 degrees, 8mph wind feels 1 degree and SUNNY, sunny!! Decided to get my long run in so bundled up again and ran mostly snowpacked road around fairgrounds, and around neighborhood.  Shoulder is slowly healing but still sore, took more ibuprofen.  It helps.  Finished 13.1 miles!!  YAY!!    Photo above.

Az - I checked out your links - looks like some great trails to run. The NZ one looks like a beautiful run!

Happy times in the Fletch household. DW is thrilled with the outcome of the Super Bowl (she named our dog...his name is Brady...enough said!). It was a fun game to watch!

Joined a couple of friends from the Freaky Fast gang for a 10 mile run Saturday. I think my body was still not fully recovered from the flu last week. I knew in mile one that it was going to be a struggle, and it was. Almost bagged it at 6 miles, but decided to suck it up and finish the 10. It was miserable, but I'm glad I did. Just one of those days that didn't feel good. Rested Sunday, other than a nice 4 mile walk with DW. Felt much better today. Got in a short 3.5 mile run around midday.

Fletch: New Zealand is my 'dream' vacation .......a running vacation!  DH's eyes use to glaze over when I talk about it but he's beginning to think about it ......he got his passport finally .......so I'm just waiting and 'training' LOL!!  Amazing your body held it together for the 10 miler!!  Hope it doesn't rebel ......but those fought out runs are what we think about when we run races, keeps us motivated. The Sunday walk probably helped.  Take it easy.  No need to rush back into hard training after a bout with the flu.  You don't want a relapse.  Game was a nail biter and I can't believe the incredible catch by Seattle in the last few seconds but then a pass?!?   Bummer!!  Wasn't for any team but it was exciting!!

Sunday, 2/1... 4 miles of XC skate skiing on the railtrail.   Conditions were slow, so an excellent workout.

Monday, 2/2... 4 miles seems to be the magic number, today it was 4 on the treadmill.   Easy pace for the first 3 miles, then gradually increased the pace throughout the last mile.    Another foot of snow arrived in NH today, I think I hate winter...

NH:  man, the area got slammed up there!!    We got the bitter artic temps, BRRRRR!! but hardly any snow ....flurries/fog here and there ...... but we are always expecting it.  Post a pic of your XC skate skiing!  Any distance is better than nothing, great job on getting them in.  Yeah, stupid winter.......

I had pre-paid a Half Marathon for Feb. 1st and didn't train, so I was going to forfeit it.

But I decided to just jog/walk it at ratio 3:1 and

Sunday .... so I did complete the 13.1

Mental note to Never Again complete a Half Marathon on no training.

Jo:  good to hear from you ........was wondering about you.  Tough way to learn.  But I agree with NH.  Making a race date should get you in training mode but life happens, I know.  Glad you ran it 'smart' with jog-walk-jog plan.  Not worth getting injured. Hope you are getting some mileage built up again. And more frequent check-ins to share your training runs with this group can be a motivator too.  It does become a habit.  Good luck.

Chantilly75

WDWRich Will it be very hot during your HM? Your daughter is running well.

Jo_  Congratulations on your HM. Too bad you didn't get more training, but you'll be glad later on that you finished it.

NH Runner You'll be getting some cross training in with the snow shovel!

That's so true about losing fitness quickly when a person is over 50. 

Fletch_NC Good job on the 10 miler, even though it sucked, it didn't seem to do any harm.

az2mntrail Good thing you didn't break something!   Hope you continue to feel better.

It is hard to exercise if a bunch of kids are running in all directions over the track. I usually end up leaving early, too.

3 days off/work.

9 miles.

That Extra Terrestrial medal is my favorite. The race is held at midnight during the full moon every August. We were bused 2 hours out of Vegas and ran along the highway with glow sticks, flashing lights and reflective clothing/headlamps through the mountains.  The stars were beautiful. My slowest marathon, but lots of fun.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/3... The railtrail wasn't good for skiing today and the roads were slippery from the snow, so I grabbed the snow shoes and went 4 miles on the railtrail earlier.    The Tuesday crew was out, with some guys skiing and some running, but the skiers were going so slow, the runners had to walk.     With the temp so cold (-6 this morning) and the snow so soft, I figured the footing and skiing would both be lousy today and it looks like I was right.    Anyway, using ski poles along with the snowshoes made for a good workout, so I'm happy.

Fletch... that was quite a Super Bowl, wasn't it?   I was cheering for the Patriots as well, so the win was pretty special.    That 10 miler sounded tough, but I guess bad runs are part of it, you did well to finish.

az... I absolutely hate falling the way you did, it's like being dropped from 3 or 4 feet off the ground.     My guess is it could have been a lot worse, except you're in such great shape your body shook it off.    And I'm with you on Ibuprofen, etc., I'll take it, but not for long and only if I'm in really bad shape.     Enjoyed the pic and the next time I ski the railtrail, I'll take one myself.

Chantilly... yes, lots of cross training for me lately.   I keep telling myself it's all good, but I'd rather be running.   'Bout time you put that picture back up...    The way you describe the ET race, I can see why it would be your favorite, it sounds beautiful...

rmcj001

You all have been running so well.  I gotta say, at the moment, I'm just so jealous!

Jo - awesome job on your half.  I know how difficult at can be when you haven't trained well (or at all).  Finishing is great!

Dan - It was a good January for you!  Keep it up - those spring races are going to feel so good!

NHRich - Livin' on the edge...not at the moment  You've been doing well with all the inclement weather.  Spring isn't that far away.  What a finish for the Patriots!

Art - Fog?  Must have seemed a bit abnormal, but I'm guessing you had a bit of rain before hand.  Growing up in the central valley I remember having a solid month of fog every day.  Twilight zone is right!

Fletch - Good to hear that your hamstring is better and you can run 10 miles on it (even if they're not the best).  That's a good sign!

Az - Good you're getting in those runs.  Hard t o say what exactly I did, but I think I pushed my luck with the hard run after a race.  A little more recovery time might be needed at our age.  I can understand how you're looking forward to those trail runs in Azrizona.

WDRich - Was that the lighthouse in the background of your Long Beach picture?  Spent a bit of time running around it when we were there last Fall.  Not a bad running area.  You're going to have fun at the half with your DD.

Chantilly - 60 miles in a week, great!  Liked the Alien medal!  Race sound even better, but gotta imagine that midnight is about the only time it is close to be cool enough to run anywhere near Las Vegas...

So, I've been so quiet 'cuz haven't been doing anything.  Not sure what happened, but knee started acting up last week.  Bad enough that I could barely walk at times.  Figured that my best hope for running my half on Saturday was to try to let things quiet down and heal as best they could.  Walking seemed to make everything worse and so I had to shut that down too.  Spent Friday driving down to Panamint Springs.  Knee was better, but I was a bit tentative walking.  Woke up Saturday and knee was a bit better.  At that point I was trying to decide if I should step down to the 10K or still do the half.  Finally figured that if I could run at all on the knee I might as well stick to the half. Drove the hour to Furnace Creek in Death Valley and picked up our numbers. Did I mention it was raining?  Something seems terribly wrong when it's raining in Death Valley and not in the Bay Area - they got more rain that night then SF in January - go figure!  Anyway, they started the marathoners off and we waited the next 15 minutes for them to start the half.  When they finally said go I moved out at reasonable clip, making sure the knee was ok.  It was fine and was able to cover the first mile in 7:30.  Mile 2 is going up and there's a 20 mph wind in our face.  I spent the time thinking this is going to feel so good coming back, downhill with a tailwind.  A fair number of people were passing me at this point and at mile 2 looked at my watch and had slowed to almost 9mm.  We're still going up and I'm trying to calculate what that's going to do to my overall time.  At 2.5 miles the hamstring starts barking at me.  Great!  I spent so much time working about the knee I kind of forgot the hamstring might be an issue.  At 2.8 miles I knew I was done, but was more afraid of walking and screwing up my knee more that I finished up running to the aid station at 3.1 and the 10K turn around. Got a race official to give me a ride back to the start and waited for DW while icing hamstring.  DW had here best half time in 2 years coming in at 1:56!  Spent the rest of the day visiting Bad Water (lowest point in North America), Artist's Drive and Artist's Palette, and finishing up at Dante's View right at sunset.  After a quick stop at Furnace Creek we headed home.

Saw Dr. today about leg problems.  She says muscles are just tight, too tight.  She believes the knee problem is ITB related and wants me to stop doing any exercising for 10 days  To say I'm going a bit stir crazy doing almost nothing is an understatement.  Restarted rowing/erging Sunday (2K) and again Monday (3K). Figure I'll continue that and will try doing the stretches and rolling out the legs too. Knee has been much better since the run, tho it was slightly swollen on Sunday.  She also recommended contrast (hot/cold pads) treatments for the hamstring.  DW had asked me about doing trail half in 2 weeks and I told her "not for me."   We're signed up for Modesto Marathon at end of March and thinking I might need to defer that too (might not be enough time to get ready for it).  It's always darkest before the light...

Ray

WDWRich

AZ - Sorry about the fall on the ice, but very glad you didn't break anything.  Your fall brings to mind a time when I was a teenager and slipped on the ice down our front porch stairs, breaking a wrist.  Do be careful!  13.1 miles in packed snow- good job!

Chantilly - I ran the San Diego HM two years ago, and it was very chilly at the start.  One of the few races where I kept my warm-ups on until just before race time.  if the weather is normal for March in San Diego, it should warm up into the 70s by the finish though.

NH - Yes, I do appreciate the runs/races with my daughter, and hope to be able to keep doing them for a long time.

Fletch - Yeah, I should be good to go for the HM.  Just hoping I can stay with DD.  Thirty years difference in age sometimes makes that challenging.

Jo - Congrats on finishing the HM.  It's tough without training, but you got the medal!

Ray - Yes, that was the lighthouse at Long Beach in the background .  Bummer about the knee.  Hope it heals up quickly.  After sitting out with the Achilles injury a year and a half ago, I know just what "stir crazy" is.  At least I was able to train somewhat on the elliptical and ride my bike.  Will you be able to do either of those?

3 Miles plus sprints with my black lab early this morning.  Weight room tomorrow.

Rich

NH Runner

Ray... The doctor didn't give any reason why your leg muscles are so tight?    I like knowing the "why" so I can avoid making the same mistake twice.   At any rate, hang in there and think positive!    And congrats. to DW on her half, that's a great time!

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Deep tissue sports' massage is good for tight hamstrings.  It is painful, if done right, but 2 days afterwards, you'll feel a lot better.

I get massage several times a year, depending upon my insurance coverage (need a doctor's note) or else I just pay for it myself if I am desperate. It really does make a difference, in my experience, rest is not very effective. The knots have to be worked out manually. There is a school of thought that the fascia has to be loosened, which a good massage can also release. Make sure to get someone who is certified.

I think age makes our muscles and tendons less elastic.

Sorry for your DNF, but congratulations to your wife.

NH Runner That would be a good workout, snowshoes and ski poles.  You should be in good shape, when spring comes along.

WDWRich The race temp sounds like it would be almost ideal.

We had a black Lab when I was 10. His (city) owner said he was biting people and my Dad brought him home to our farm and he never bit anyone again, because he had lots of room to run and play with us.

az2mntrail I like your avatar with the eyes peeping up on the snow trail.

10 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica