50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2017 runs and workouts (Read 10 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello!

I did the 13.32 long run Friday. There is a steep hill at the halfway point that climbs over a 100 feet in 1/3 of a mile. I was pleased that I was able to run up it without having to stop or shuffle, although my pace slowed down quite a bit. I was able to maintain a nice pace for the rest of my run and on a slightly downhill section at the end I briefly achieved a 8:15 pace. My time was 2:46:39, a 12:31 pace. My Garmin gave me a "fastest half marathon distance" with a time of 2:42:34. I was faster last September for my HM race, but have only had the Garmin since January. Sunday I finished my week with close to 5 miles at a 10:55 pace, my pace for the same course was 15:00 back in December. My week total is 48.92 miles.

A summary now of my progress and plans: My training has improved my form, speed and hill climbing ability. I think I could complete a full marathon at this point. In the past my only goal was to complete and have fun, but this time I am trying to qualify and finish a bit faster than the 4:10:00 qualifying time for my age group, like a 4:05:00 would ensure me to register for the Boston. For now I plan each week to slightly increase my millage, hopefully getting to do a few 60 mile weeks. I will keep doing courses with challenging hills. In the flatter or slightly downhill sections I will try to run faster. I am trying to push the training along but at the same time my joints, muscles and even some tendons often feel sore and I want to not overdo it and risk injury. I would like to increase my long run distance and would like to do perhaps 5 runs of over 20 miles before my Marathon which is at the start of October. Ray said that it is the overall miles that matter and he did many 10 mile runs at a very fast speed for his training, but I would be more comfortable with having done some greater distances. At some point I may start traveling to Rochester to run along the canal path, which is mostly flat, and try to test my speed which needs to be 9:20 race pace. If I get to where I can run 18 miles at that pace on a flat course I will feel that I could do it for the 26.2. I will also be running a half marathon a month before the marathon. If I use Ray's formula of doubling that time plus 10 minutes to predict my marathon time, then that would be about a 1:57 time I would need for the half, although the half course has hills and the full is relatively flat. That would be about a 8:57 pace. Note that for my half to get even a 3rd in my age group I would probably need a 8:30 pace. I find I run the races at a much faster pace than my training. I find it hard to motivate myself past my comfort point on my everyday run paces. I hope that my speed will improve enough by race day and hope that the rate of improvement increases as I run faster and longer at better form. I have been thinking a lot about this, it would have been easier to just follow a set plan rather than make up my own as I go along, but that is how I am. Anyway, I welcome encouragement and suggestions which I may or may not follow.

Dan - Hope you had fun running the 8K! An unusual distance.

Art - Good 9 mile run and 27 mile bike ride, enjoy the cool winds while they last! I can't imagine running in 100 degrees, guess early morning runs would be the thing to do. Last week the temps on my runs ranged from 55 to 77 degrees. Locally Lake Ontario is like 18 inches higher than usual for this time and those who live on the shore are piling up sandbags to stop erosion and flooding. The news showed some homes already with flooded basements. Thunderstorms predicted later here today so I did not go for my run today. This week the highs will be in the low 50s!

Rich - Hope the new Tryke goes well in it's construction! Nice 9 and 10 mile bike rides, way to go on the cross training! Things are even greener here in the village with some tiny leaves developing on the trees. Some of the lilacs are blooming and I smell the sweet scent on my runs! Still many bare trees as I get out into the country and look at the woods.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

rmcj001

Altair - Sounds like your training has been going pretty well.  Sorry, about no answering earlier, I've been in a bit of a funk since Boston. The cause of cramps isn't, apparently, well understood. Fatigue, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance are the leading hypotheses. For Boston, I suspect a combination of the three with a touch of going out too fast for the conditions. It is a really good idea to train for the conditions you expect, e.g. hills if course is hilly, warmer weather then you expect, etc. That's hard to do for Boston in the spring. We got mid 70's at start of race, which was better then the 85F the previous day and worse then the 60F the day after.  Also, it would have been a good idea to take some of the free cramping pills Boston provided us. Spoiler alert - it worked really well yesterday at Big Sur!

Chantilly - Hope you're knee is better! I'm sue the weather had something to do with it.  I was definitely trying to stay ahead of dehydration, but might have caused an electrolyte imbalance.  I don't normally take any fluids until I complete runs and/or nutrition for runs up to 15 miles. On longer training runs (over 15) I will usually take a Gu or two and use those.  We do a respectable number of races with hills, just not sure they're the norm... Boston isn't my idea of flat, but it is flatter then Big Sur.

Rich - Glad you've been getting out on the bike and tryke!  You're probably right on the glycogen and going out too fast for the conditions.  And yes, it is amazing how fast things go south.

Art - Nice runs and bike rides! Are you doing the Monument Valley run? Like previous response, I suspect weather, fatigue and electrolyte imbalance on my hamstrings. Didn't have any problems in training, but last long run was only 15 miles with a high of mid to upper 60's with a cool breeze coming off the bay. Spring weather is hard to predict and train for.  Fall doesn't seem so bad, 'cuz most of your training is in warmer weather anyway - which, I think is a big advantage.

Dan - Hope the 8K went well!

Race report coming...

Ray

Hi everyone!! I'm baaaaackkk!

Returned to northern MN last Thursday late afternoon. Drove through snow/sleet/rain the day before in SD so stayed the night in Aberdeen at DH's aunt's home. Had a great time catching up, she's been traveling too, just returned from a Jazz Festival in FL!! So I drive in Thursday and DH greets me w/ 'get a short rest b/c we will be going to a ballroom dance lesson tonight." (He's been taking dance lessons while I was in AZ and he registered US for a weekend dance lesson package) Uhh, I don't think so, LOL!! I told him to go by himself, there's other partners he can dance with. I was too tired to eat, was in bed by 8 pm!!

Friday:  I dragged my lazy butt to the university gym.  10 min cycling, 10 min elliptical, 3.1 miles on indoor track, 20 min weights, 15 min stretching. Then we both went to the Friday night dance class. I wear my lighter knee support but my calves are killing me, ha!!

Saturday:  Beautiful sunny day, temps reached close to 60 degrees!!  Would rather have been riding my Harley bike but .........instead, Dance lessons from 10:30-3:00 pm. Calves are better. Then we attended the Saturday night social dance event, usually w/ band. They were great!! We didn't get home till 11 pm, visiting afterwards w/ other dancers and the instructor from Las Vegas. It was FUN but I was exhausted.

Sunday: rest day.

Monday (yesterday):  university gym again. 20 min elliptical, 1 mile on indoor track, 3.2 miles on dreadmill at tempo pace on various elevations (miss my mountains, sigh), 1 mile cool down on track, 10 min cycling, 15 min weights, 10 min stretching. WHEW!!

Today (Tuesday): We will be going to a dance class again so not really a 'rest day.'  The gym is closed due to a Special Olympics event.

Altair:  your training schedule sounds reasonable and do-able for your Boston qualifying goal. I find running mountain hills makes running road running so much easier ........if you have access to mountains and elevation obviously.  Not much of either here in northern MN but the closest is the mountain bikers' dirt trail through the 'woods.'  It's about 6-8 miles distance depending if you run the both loops.  I'm not too detailed about 'pace' ...... I don't know what my 5K or 10K pace is, LOL!!  I actually avoid running 5ks/10ks road races but I will run 10k dirt TRAIL runs w/ technicality/hills. I love those!! I actually have improved my uphill running but the descents are cautionary.......I think it's out of habit now due to my injury.  I'll get better w/ time.  At our age, those muscles/tendons get more stressed/fatigued and we have to know when to let up. tough decisions I know. It sounds like you are listening to your body and you do have lots of time to work your way up to faster pace. I like your thoughtfulness about your training schedule, very realistic and the 1/2 marathon race each month will certainly add to your goal.  I work on endurance mostly, speed will come.  I may be slow but I can run long.  When do you have to run a race to qualify for Boston next year? Which/where will you run the FM to qualify?  I know there's a time frame for Boston.

Rich:  did I read that you are not running for awhile?  The cross-training from Isabelle seems to be going well.  Not sure if you mentioned it but what kind of bike do you ride? How is the weather that way, been watching weather channel and the storms have been crazy!! With all that tryke workouts, I suppose you need more energy to stay hydrated and not get hungry. I'm sure you lost weight and gained muscle. Will you be hiking when weather gets nicer?

Dan:  how was the race? Did DW run it too?  Any more trips planned......car and/or MC? I know you mentioned it but will you be running DWD?

Art:  Nice combo of running and other days, bike riding!!  yes, it is getting toasty hot in the valley!! Are you thinking of running Monument Valley this year?  I ran it in 2015 when it was in Dec!!  I think it's in Nov now.  It was COLD, snowed the night before, WINDY when I ran the HM.  Because of my recent injury, I switched from the FULL to the HALF the morning of the race. The snow melted but some were still evident on the mesas. I would have been miserable if I ran the FULL due to the cold and wind. I am hoping to run it again this year though .......if we have moved back by then.  Let's stay in touch about this.

Ray:  I totally get the 'downer' feeling after such big race events.  Do you think the race before that contributed to it?  I guess it depends on how hard you raced that?  Are your muscles feeling better?  It has to be a combination of temperature and body demands. Weather conditions are give and take.  It can really mess up the balance necessary for a strenuous event. I'm glad you both finished upright. Nice post-race photo too. congrats to DW as well.  Hope you both fully recover soon, it can take a few days.

Chantilly:  how are you doing?

Photos didn't post ...............will try again .........

Ok, I use to be able to post photos quite easily but having problems now ..... I have photos on photobucket ......help.   Only if any one wants to see them, LOL!!

In the meantime,

April 15 - Saturday - drove to Albq, NM from northern AZ home.  Stayed/visited w/ DS/DIL.

April 16 - Easter Sunday - ran 6.1 miles in nearby Sandia Mt. trails - later in afternoon, picked up DH from Albq airport for week long conference.

April 18 - Tues - ran 5.6 miles on another trail in Sandia Mt.

April  20 - Thurs - hotel gym, 20 min elliptical, 20 min cycle, weights, stretching/foam rolling.

April 21 - Friday - rest day - took DH to airport for his return flight to MN; picked up race packet at a running store at 4 pm, met up w/ NM running friend and chatted for an hour!! Instead of a race shirt, we get a nice warm knitted cap w/ "Cedro Peak Trail Run" sewn on it!! NICE!

April 22 - RR - Cedro Peak Ultra Trail Run 50k. FM, HM - Tijeras, NM (about 30 miles SE of Albq., NM)

Went to bed later than planned but got up earlier than alarm.  Feel rested.  Had running gear laid out, dressed and took 16 oz of decaf, ate a banana on the drive.  Easy directions, signs on highway.  It's cloudy, about 35 degrees when I left, slight breeze. But I wore my running skirt, knee support and compression calf sleeves, long sleeve tech shirt, 2 bandanas on head and 1 around neck and light pink windbreaker.

Got to race location early. The 50k runners left at 7am, the FM runners are about to take off at 8am.  HM is at 9 am.  Every runner has to check in before their race even tho' we picked up race packet the day before.  Safety reasons. My friend, Mary (young 60 yr old) arrives and we stretch, chat. This is her first HM trail run!!  She's excited and anxious.  Everyone is COLD and shivering, it's about 40 degrees by now!! Perfect!! This is the only time I can brag that I live in MN, haha!!  Another female runner comments on my skirt ......she is wearing the same!! LOL!! I set my Garmin, my goals: finished upright/no falls and under 3 hrs but to try for 2.5 hrs.  Elevation profile is not too bad IMO, it's about 7,200 ft but not sure about the technicality.

I bought a waist belt w/ smaller pocket, no bottle slots b/c I have a palm-held collapsible water bottle I bought last year.  It's so much lighter than the rigid hand-held bottles. I didn't think I would need more than the 15 oz of water since the aid stations are only about 3-5 miles apart.  And I've been training at elevation and in drier conditions.

Started on time and towards the back. After 1/4 mile, we run 1/2 mile of rocky downhill, single track amongst the trees.  I start slow, Mary follows me. A couple of more nice decent short hills, I'm passing runners. We run a loop first for about 3.6 miles, w/ some short rocky hills and as it evens out, I take my 30 second walk break and take couple of photos, and hydrate. Strategy is to take short walk breaks about every 2-3 miles.

I catch up w/ 4 runners, and I'm losing sight of Mary. After the loop, we take a different turn, and run the portion that is an out and back for about 6 miles. The 4 runners are pacing well so I stay w/ them another 3 miles. I take another 30 second walk break, hydrate, take couple of sport beans.  I catch up w/ the 4 runners again and pass them.  There are 50k and FM running from opposite way and later on, the HM runners. This portion was really fun, winding through the trees, over rocky areas, some dirt portions. Finally we reach a wide dirt road, some gradual up and down areas for about 1/2 mile till we get to the 9.5 mile aid station, the first turnaround. It's a freaking buffet!! LOL!! This is what I love about dirt trail running, ha!! Especially if there is a FM and ultra distances.......I know there will be all kinds of energy foods/drinks.  I spent a couple of minutes here, mostly stretching my calves and taking a salt tab, filling up water bottle. I ran out of my sport beans but another runner gave me her Stinger energy chews. Another reason why I love dirt trail runners, very supportive and share what they have.  Volunteers were enthusiastic throughout!!

My injury area is feeling fine. It's tired but I jog the hills on the dirt road and into the woods again.  I follow a couple of runners and hear a female runner behind me.  I tell her to let me know when she needs to pass as we are on single track and some rocky terrain. We chat abit, she's in her 60s and has 4 pins in her hip!! OMG!! She's run this before.  She passes me, LOL!!  But she says, "you'll pass me again but I need a head start for the hills ahead." I keep her in sight and pass her while she's walking one of the hills. At the top, I take a 15 second walk break to stretch my calves, it's around 11 miles. YAY!!

I reached the second to the last aid station, lots of goodies here too. I leave my windbreaker here.  We run about 1/4 mile out and back at this turnaround, back to the aid station and go in a different direction towards the finish, about 1.5 miles. This was another fun portion w/ winding trail through the woods, single track and less technical.

I reach the last aid station and they are giving out tequila shots!! No Kidding!! They are on their 2nd bottle. The last one who finishes the bottle has to carry it across the finish line, LOL!!  I pass on the shot.   I know it's less than a mile left so I speed up abit as it's even mostly dirt terrain. The last 1/2 mile is rocky and uphill, the same one we ran down at the beginning ......I see a runner walking.  I'm gonna try and catch him, LOL!!  I jog as fast as I can up the rocky single track hill but he sees me and takes off!! As I get to the top, I see the cars in the parking lot, the flags directing us across the parking lot to the finish line. Almost caught him but he high-fives me at the finish.

My garmin shows 2:30:57!! really?!? It's old school w/ taking our number and they write the time on their sheet. I didn't ask. We don't know till they are posted online. We get a medal w/ a stand!  They had sub sandwiches of all sorts, chips, fruits, hot/cold drinks. It's about 50 degrees, slight breeze but it's partly sunny now.  I go back to car and replace my sweaty head bandanas w/ the knitted race cap. I grab my jacket and wait for Mary who finishes in 2:37!! WOW!! She looks great and we are both grinning ear to ear.  We ate and chat w/ others. The runner with the same running skirt is in my AG (she's 52) and finishes one spot ahead of me in AG!! not bad

Overall, I would run it again. I'm happy w/ time and effort considering this is my 2nd trail race for the year.  My calf area is still healing. Around 11 miles, I slowed down and stretched which seemed to loosen up the tightness. No problems since then.  I took 5 days off after this. Once I figure out how to post photos, I will.

My official time: 2:30:55; Overall 93/151 HM runners; Overall female runners: 44/94; AG (50-59): 7/12

NH Runner

Tuesday, 5/2... took yesterday off, my back finally decided it doesn't like wrestling with 265 pound treadmills.  Just tight muscles, but enough to convince me I needed a break.    Hopped on the mtn bike for 8 miles today, better pace, stronger legs.

Altair5... steady eddy, you're training's going great!

Ray... your experience at Boston is a perfect example of how difficult running marathons can be.    There's a fine line between everything going really well or really bad.   Still, you're a good runner who had a bad day at Boston, it could be worse, eh? lol   Impressive the way you jumped right back in and ran Big Sur!  Wow!

Az... well, look who's back! lol  And running trail HM's to boot!   And taking ballroom dance lessons...lol    Always enjoy your posts az, lots going on in your world!   What I remember about posting pics off photobucket, you copy and paste the address of your pic. here by clicking on the 'insert image' icon.   Right click the picture at photobucket to get the address.   And yeah, I'm cross training at the moment, my right foot's doing much better, but just 'testy' enough that I'm still holding off running.   I have an apt with the doc. in July, so will play it by ear 'til then.   It's not all bad, the tryke works my arms, shoulders and back and the mtn bike works my legs.   It's not running, but it keeps me sane...lol   Good to see you posting again...

Art in AZ

Monday was a rest day so I got in some exercise instead of running.

5 miles this morning. Could tell the mornings are getting a little warmer with the afternoon temps getting warmer. Well it's that time of the year.

Altair - Your running sounds like it's going good for you. Like others have said, the more you run the better you will get and faster too. Plenty of time to work on the speed before your marathon.

Ray - Yes, I'm thinking of doing the Monument Valley half. Mention to other family about possible road trip there and it is being discussed. The football schedule isn't out for the boys yet so we will see.

AZ - Lots going on with you. Nice race report. Glad you were able to finish with the legs not giving you more problems. Yes, let me know if you decide to do Monument Valley. We're waiting on schedules to coordinate what weekends might be available for a road trip. So we are looking for different events in new places for Sept., Oct., and Nov. We have a list of 9 races during those months. Wait, they just told me about the Bryce Canyon Half on July 8th. But that's too close to the 4th of July trip for some people. Oh well.

Rich - Another nice bike ride.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

8.4 canal route this morning. Very sunny and dry out. Definitely feeling the warmer weather. Finished my run at 9:00 and the temp was 84 degrees. A couple of very warm days and then we cool off again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/3... 7 mile railtrail tryke ride this afternoon.   Difficult conditions after the state graded the trail, the footing's much softer now.    Today was also the start of turkey season, score so far, Turkeys - 1, Dickie - 0.    I called to 'em this morning and I swear they were laughing...

Art... a couple of nice runs for you.   Love the way your family does races together, what a great way to bond, eh?   Started planting in the garden, but only things that can be planted "as soon as you can work the soil", there's still the threat of a frost for another week or 2.   Forecast low for tonight is 34...

NH:  haha!! No idea about 'turkey season' but sounds pretty early as I assume that should be close to November .........glad you're not a target, you must be blur on your tryke, LOL!!  Good miles there!!

Art:  You have to get out earlier each time you want to run or bike from now on. Nice miles!!

DH and I had ballroom dance lessons last night, this will be our Tuesday plans for the month.

Drove to university gym today despite the rain which has been on and off all day.

10 min elliptical, 10 min cycle, then 1 mile on indoor track, 1 mile on TM for 'tempo' pace at various elevations, then 1 mile on track, etc. till I reach 7.2 miles. WHEW!! 10 min elliptical, 20 min weights, 10 min stretching/foam rolling.

Will go to gym again tomorrow due to gym being closed on Friday for graduation ceremony.  Plan on short 3-4 miles and weights.

RB will be visiting for the weekend, she's training for the Lake Wobegan FM on May 13th.  We plan on running Saturday morning.

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/4... set out today to do a 10 mile railtrail ride on the mtn bike, but ended up riding 7, then pushing a mtn bike with a flat tire 3...lol

az... there's 2 turkey seasons, one in the Spring and one in the Fall.   Spring season is males only, can't harm the ladies.   A mature gobbler will weigh over 20 pounds and is far better table fare than a domestic bird.    Have to know their language and how to use the calls that'll convince him you're the turkey world's version of Marilyn Monroe...lol    Nice workout at the gym, enjoy weekend visit with RB...

Nice day today, sure sign of Spring I hope. Partly sunny, slight breeze, high 60s.  Predicted nicer warmer temps for the weekend, in the 70s!!

Hope to get in some Harley riding time. Have bike on trickle charge but needs a good wash for her to sparkle,

To university gym today.  10 min cycle, 10 min elliptical for warm up. Can feel the workout from yesterday especially quads and calves. Decided on easy 2 laps from beginning. Every 3rd lap, some drills (lunges, butt kicks, side lunges, backward running, etc) on the straightaway. Then 2 easy laps, etc....till a mile, take 1 min walk break.  Start again. Did this till I finished 3 miles. Great workout. 10 min elliptical. 10 min stretching/foam rolling. 20 min weights.  Then got basketball and did some shooting around and free throws, 17 out of 20!!

Watching NBA playoffs GO SPURS GO!!

Rich:  how far did you have to walk your bike back?  That's a workout in itself, right? Bummer, you have to make up for it on the tryke. The weather seems to be calming down for your area.

Art:  I'm hoping we will be moved by end of summer. I really would like to run the FM at Monument Valley.  There are other races/trail runs I would like to run in that series. Are you planning on taking the whole family if you run MV? There is a campground and RV sites. We stayed at Gouldings hotel, about a 10-15 min drive to race start/finish.