50 and over 5k and beyond

New over 50 runner with an artificial hip (Read 17 times)

saratg

I completed the C25K program several weeks ago & am working my way up to 45 min steady running on the treadmill.  I did 42 min this AM & should hit 45 on Friday.  Then I will work on speed & stability.  My goal is to run outdoors.  I had a hip replacement last spring & still need to lose weight.  I was a runner in my youth & I know from past experience road running was tough over 170 lb.   The extra weight won't be any easier at 56 so I'm committed to getting below 170 before venturing outdoors.  I'd appreciate any suggestions about training from the group.  I'm in this for the duration.  I've always been active.  I swim 1mi/day in summer & use the rowing machine & weight circuit when in the "off season".

NH Runner

Wow sara, what an inspiration you are!

My suggestion for now would be to keep doing what you're doing.  Do you cross train?  I just bought a resistance band a few weeks ago and like its simplicity and versatility.   If you're not cross training, look into buying one and working with it on days you don't run, for under 20 bucks there's a bunch of exercises you can do with it.

And don't hesitate to jump into either the "Hi" or "weekly workout"  threads with your workouts each day, it's fun to watch everyone's progress.

Here's a nifty little list of "negative foods", foods that burn more calories than they contain... http://lifehacker.com/331319/fifteen-foods-that-burn-more-calories-than-they-contain    Handy for someone trying to drop a few pounds.

Art in AZ

I can only offer suggestions as to what has worked for me. Every person is different and what works for one may not be the best for another.

Outside of the universal "exercise more and eat less" it looks like you have a good start. I run all the time and work with weights and exercise for my core but for cross-training I ride my bike. I mix it up. one day is a run, next is strength with running, next day is the bike ride, etc. It depends on how I feel and what else is scheduled for the day. Pretty much all of my running is in the morning. As for eating, well I like to eat and that of course includes foods that aren't the best for us. I use the motto "everything in moderation" and watch what I eat. It helps that I like most foods and have always eaten healthful. This includes what you drink also.

You didn't include what you want to weigh but look at it in small pieces. You can think I want to weigh 140. That's good for the final goal. Think I want to lose 3 pounds this week. Given enough time the weight will drop. It's just never as fast as we wish it was.

It looks like you have a good base to start with the swimming and rowing. Adding a little speed while on the treadmill is as easy as running a little harder for 15 - 30 seconds every 10 - 15 minutes. Add a little at a time and do that for a week. The next week add a little more time. Eventually you will build up to better numbers.

If you haven't really kept track of what you are eating keep a list for a week. I think you will be surprised on how much you eat in terms of calories, fats, sugar, salt, carbs and proteins. It's difficult cutting back at first but it does get easier. And don't be afraid of going outside to run or walk. The fresh air, sunshine, colors and sights help take your mind off of the task at hand and let you enjoy what is around you. Well, at least it does for me.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Hello, saratg ! Welcome!

I don't know much about running with an artificial hip, but I run with arthritis in many joints.

I think the key to running when we are older/have medical problems, is, that we run a little, walk a little, and gradually work our way up, in terms of distance and time spent exercising.

For weight loss: If you even cut back by one spoonful of food every meal, or drink half a glass of  soda/beer/wine/sugary coffee instead of a whole glass, the weight will gradually come down.

Our metabolism is slower as we get older, and it is harder to lose weight than a 30 year old.

Runs of up to one hour do not require us to drink anything other than water.

I believe in eating everything, but just in smaller amounts.

Good luck to you, and like NH Runner said, join us on the forums here.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

saratg

This seems like a great venue.  Thank you all for your responses.  The other forums are a little intimidating at this point.  We may be over 50, but it seems there are plenty of impressive atheletes in the group!  I've got a good handle on the weight loss.  I'm an obsessive charter of calories & eat quite healthy.  Portion control has always been my downfall (hence the need to chart).  I've dropped about 30 lbs over the past year & am working (steadily, despite the recent discovery of oatmeal stout) toward another 30.  I try to live by the feedback my body gives me.  This means I've had to sever (or drastically reduce) my friendship with Ibuprofen.  I need to feel what hurts, so I can strengthen it or back off.  I tried increasing my distance & speed in a single workout, but my joints (new & used) rebelled. I used resistance bands in PT & it's a great suggestion to incorporate them into my training.  I love being outdoors & I walk and bike now that the ice is (mostly) gone.  As for running outdoors, it has to wait for for the weight loss.  I'm not willing to risk injury by running on pavement.  I may scout around for some local well-groomed trails.  Right now, the reward of outdoor running is a FANTASTIC weight-loss motivator as I log my 40+ minutes on the treadmill looking at my basement wall.

NH Runner

I use the resistance band for upper body stuff, what I like about it is you can adjust the resistance to fit your ability.

And by all means, post your workout here...

Crazy Diamond

saratg~Sorry, I just saw your post.  Welcome!  Congratulations on completing C25K, working your way back from hip replacement and the impressive weight loss!  I can't add much to the wisdom which has already been shared, but wanted to tell you to keep up the great work.  As the others have mentioned, please post your questions, challenges and successes.  We are a very supportive group.  When you need a bit of motivation, you know where to come!Smile  Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

saratg

This morning I reached my goal of 45 min. steady running.  Now the fun begins; shaking things up with speed intervals & some incline work!  I ordered a Babyjogger F.I.T. yesterday for my 1 1/2 yo grandson.  My daughter commented "Oh, a walker for joggers!"  It's true.  I bought it more as a means of getting outside sooner.  It certainly will assist with balance.  The problem is, my grandson is usually over  just 1-2 times/week. Now  I'm eyeing my border collies wondering which one of them I can coerce into sitting in the thing.  They are high energy dogs, but they really aim to please.

NH Runner

You're progressing nicely sara, good for you.   Your dogs will probably be fighting to see which gets to ride in your stroller...lol

saratg

I had a GREAT workout this morning (thanks, Art in AZ).  I increased 1mph for 30 sec every 10 min., as suggested.  I felt energized for my post-run erg (1000M on the rowing machine) & the numbers proved it.  I was tempted to push it further, but decided to give it a week.  I'd like to increase my steady state.  Any ideas when this should happen?

Ever conscious of keeping strong hips, I've been using this routine on my off-days.  I just increase the reps.  It would be great before a run & I should do it, but there are only so many minutes in the day.

http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2011/12/building-a-better-myrtl/

Art in AZ

Sara, you would be the best judge of how much to increase. Give it a week like you said. How often a week do you plan on doing this? You could add 15 seconds and try that. If that seems easy then try going a little faster for 1 minute. The idea is to build slowly so you get use to the faster speed. So the first week is 30 seconds. Next week do 45 seconds. Third week go for one minute. Eventually you'll get to running at this faster pace and will then be looking to go faster again. Just repeat the process. If you keep track of your time and distance, you'll see improvements. They may seem like small improvements but they still count.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

saratg

This morning I did a 45 min. treadmill run pushing it ever so slightly.  I did intervals of faster running  every 10 min; 1 @ 30 sec & 4 @ 45 sec  Art is right, small improvements still count.  After all, back in January when I started C25K, I thought 3 min of running was a lot!.

saratg

45 min on treadmill bumping up base speed 0.1MPH & doing 5 "fast" 45 sec intervals every 10 min.

Warm up & cool down: 1000K on erg & 5min on treadmill/ 5min treadmill & 1000K erg

No problems.  Eating lots of ginger!

saratg

Yesterday I just did a 45 min steady state.  I have a rotten cold (is there any other kind?)  Today was hip strengthening exercises.  If the weather cooperates,  I may venture outside this evening for a trial run with the jogging stroller.

saratg

Yesterday I ran outside for the first time. I had my 27lb grandson in the jogging stroller.  I got hit with a healthy dose of reality.  I was getting pretty cocky on the treadmill, convincing myself that surely the speed reading needed to be recalibrated...I HAD to be going much faster than it said.  Outdoors is very different from the treadmill.  There are hills, and wind and bumps!!  What a revelation. I felt like I was moving through water...very slowly moving through water.  So maybe 4 miles on the treadmill doesn't instantly translate to 4 mile outdoors.  I'll take the same step-by-baby step approach I've taken to the treadmill and improve slowly but steadily.