50 and over 5k and beyond

belated Happy Halloween & do it while you can (Read 8 times)

sluggo

John

OK, this is a bit off topic but I think the group needs something other than "how my running has been going this month" once in a while.

Halloween was a big deal here in Salem, MA last night - like it always is:

http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/thousands-of-revelers-celebrate-halloween-in-salem/article_4e20b593-a0bb-5351-a62f-92a476ab71cd.html

My train ride home from Boston was colorful with all the high school and college kids dressed in costumed and running into the train cars for a night of fun. I might be an old fogey but I think they were fun. It would be more fun to be young, thrilled, and running about for stupid events again too. Do it while you can kids!

I guess this sentiment applies to running too. DO IT WHILE YOU CAN! Maybe this is not entirely off topic after all. Now, back to work.

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Chantilly75

sluggo We went to Salem on a vacation one year.  It was a nice town to walk around looking at old architecture and we went to the Salem Witch museum. It would be fun to be there at Hallowe'en.

I find the "young ones" at work to be interesting. Was I that young, once?  Just to listen to them talk about their nights out, boyfriends, generally getting started in life is sorta amusing for me.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Crazy Diamond

Sluggo ~ Thanks for the reminder to "do it while you can"!  My DH's mother, who I considered my best friend, passed away several years ago.  She always enjoyed being around young people because she said it kept her young and from becoming, as you put it, an "old fogey".  She would surround herself with people 60 years younger on her golf and bowling leagues.  She learned from them, and they from her.  She LOVED the Hallowe'en holidayand would create a huge front yard extravaganza on her front yard and dressed in costume to hand out candy!  Miss her everyday, but follow her advice.  That's why I like participating in the Winter Series races, folks of all different ages and backgrounds all enjoying a common interest.

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Staying around younger people is important.  We sent our kids to the school across the street, but it seemed like many of the teachers were fairly old.  Turned out they were even older.  This video, "Why These Kids Love to School", features the school (Peninsula School).  The video was shot just a few years before our kids attended, but it is easy to recognize many of my kids teachers at a much younger age.  Woody and Barney continued to work at the school until they passed away at around 100 years old.  One of the graduates highlighted (Andy Forrest) mom can be seen in the music classes taught my oldest son and semi-retired and still works at the school part-time must be approaching 90. Tho they never name him, the 7th grade teacher is "Jerry" and semi-retired a couple years ago, I believe well into his 70's (which puts him around 50 in this video).  Staying around the children, we think, contributed to keeping all these "older" folks young!

Ray