50 and over 5k and beyond

December Runs and Workouts (Read 17 times)

WDWRich

It's the first of the month- time to start a new topic!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

WDWRich

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday.  It got warm here in SoCal, reaching 89 degrees on Thanksgiving afternoon, but normal temps have returned at the time of this post.

Woke up Thanksgiving morning early so DW and I could drive over to the 5/10k run.  Felt really run-down and generally achy- enough so that I considered staying in bed and skipping the event, but this one supports the ALS Association and we do this for DW's brother who passed from that disease some years ago, so I got up and off we went.  Weather was fine- about 52 degrees and sunny at the start.  The 10k started right on time at 0730.  DW's 5k started 10 minutes later at 0740.

The course is a mix of paved roads and hard-packed dirt trails with small inclines/declines until mile 5 where you encounter "Challenge Hill".  Felt okay for the first 3 miles, then just sort of crashed so I slowed down quite a bit.  Got about halfway up the big hill running at a slow pace, then had to walk the rest.  Reaching the crest, I started running again and was able to take the final downhill stretch at a decent pace.  Finished at 1:01:54 which is several minutes slower than my usual 10k time.  Disappointing, since my training had been going really well and included regular runs up big hills in the last month.  Looking back, I think it may have been the flu shot I got a day before the race.  I should have known better because I've had similar symptoms from the shot in the past.

Met up with DW at the finish line, collected the medal and waited while DW got the free/included beer from a local brewery that was one of the sponsors of the event, then headed home to shower and get going on the turkey dinner. The Thanksgiving meal was wonderful as usual thanks to the efforts of DW.  Had some family and one friend over, so 11 of us all told.

Took a couple of days off, then went out Sunday morning for a 5.5 mile run.  Felt fine the entire route, so I'm convinced the flu shot did me in for the race.

Next up- the Resolution 15k in January, and no flu shot before that one!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Chantilly75

WDWRich Sorry that your 10 Km wasn't up to snuff, I know of a lot of people who feel poorly after the flu shot. You had the training in hand, things will go better in the next race.

10 miles on the track.

Joe Cool & I wore matching outfits!   He wore a blue ski hat, blue tracksuit with white stripes and the sunglasses. I wore black/blue striped tights, blue race shirt & blue/black mitts. (I guess his head is cold while my hands are cold)

no sunglasses for me, however. 

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

With a temp of 46 degrees, I decided today to take the tryke out for a ride on the breakdown lane of the highway going out of town.   Easy rolling terrain that made for a really good workout, 6 miles with splits that looked like this...8:10, 8:05, 7:59, 7:25, 7:44 and 7:51.   VERY happy with my little cross training machine...

WDWRich... any time you can run hard for 6 miles, it's a plus regardless of your time.    Live and learn with the Flu shot, eh?    Now it's on to the 15K to take advantage of the good training you've been doing.

Chantilly... I wonder if Joe Cool thinks of you as Jill Cool...   Nice workout!

WDW:  I can totally relate!!  When I use to get the flu shot (for work), it use to really bum me out too. I don't get the flu shot anymore since I don't do clinical work anymore.  Anyway, your heart and commitment spoke volumes of why you ran, thank you. Good job on the determination, getting over the hill and finishing in great time considering how you were feeling.  WTG to DW!! You'll blaze through the 15k in Jan!!

Chantilly:  guess it's synchronizing in more ways than one when you spend time 'together' ....LOL!!  Wonder if Joe Cool even 'noticed' ....  I'm thinking of going back to AZ/NM in March ......and hope to run a couple of dirt TRAIL races in one week!!  WTG on the 10 miler!! Does Joe Cool walk or run?

NH:  46 degrees!!  Nice!! And awesome workout on the tryke!! Are you sore after?

So I rested Sunday, it was so COLD!! DH was glad we stayed home instead of driving to/from Duluth.  Most of the day, we took turns staring out the window!! BRRRR!!  Thought of a short run outside today because I was getting lazy to drive to gym .....but it was only 2 degrees, feels -18 with windchill......Oh. My. Goodness.  So drove to gym.  Ran 6 miles on track, 2.1 miles on TM, 3 miles on exercise bike, and 10 minutes on elliptical.  So 8.1 miles today!!

Fletch

Happy December!

AZ - I read your weather reports, and I have 2 words for you...MOVE SOUTH!  Seriously, nice running. I looked back through some of the posts, but may have missed it...are you training for a particular race?

NH Rich - 116 - Nice run total for the month!

Chantilly - 160 - Awesome month!

Dan - Bummer about the streak. If it was a bad case, maybe you got a mile in with all the "bathroom trots?"

WDW Rich - Rough timing on the flu shot. Write it off and look forward to the 15k in January.

Full day of fun in the mountains Sunday before the drive home.  Slipped out before breakfast for 2 quick miles to keep the streak going.

Back home, and back to school today.  But it was a gorgeous day, so I got out after class for a beautiful Gump run of about 5 miles.

Run safe!

AZ - I read your weather reports, and I have 2 words for you...MOVE SOUTH!  Seriously, nice running. I looked back through some of the posts, but may have missed it...are you training for a particular race?

Full day of fun in the mountains Sunday before the drive home.  Slipped out before breakfast for 2 quick miles to keep the streak going.

Back home, and back to school today.  But it was a gorgeous day, so I got out after class for a beautiful Gump run of about 5 miles.

Fletch:  Yeah, no kidding!!  LOL!!  I will be heading SOUTH for only 10 days though ........for my upcoming FM on the 14th (in 13 days) in tropical TX.    Can't wait!!  Even with the sun out, it's been frigid and then some up here lately!!    People are shocked/perplexed when they find out we moved from AZ to MN!!  We did live in ND for about 10 yrs so winters up here aren't unfamiliar to me (DH is from ND).  No one 'gets use to it' .......we just adapt.  I'm just waiting for DH to say "let's move back."    Fortunately, we still have our home in AZ so I (we) make return trips when we can.  Good job on the holiday streak!!  Nothing like running after being cooped up in a classroom!!  Keep it up!!

rmcj001

Sorry folks, did a message on Saturday and couldn't send it from tablet - guess that version of android is too old...

WDRich - sorry about the flu shot, that's why I didn't get mine last week - figured it could wait until after marathon.  Good that you raced, you did well given the circumstances - Good Job!

Sluggo - Hang in there, you'll get back and post when you can.

Fletch - Glad to see you back!  Sounds like new career is progressing and good luck with the Holiday Streak!

Dan - Sorry about the car and house.  Good race tho!  Hope that you're back on the Holiday Streak, hopefully you'll get your miles in this month.  When is the TM arriving and what brand did you get?

NHRich - Your bicycle flag sounds like it matches well.  Sorry you didn't get your race in, but better to be safe.  Seems like it warmed up a bit...

Chantilly - Getting the miles in!  I don't think I ever match other peoples clothes.  Kind of funny, do you think he noticed?

Az - Sounds like you got your long runs in.  I'm not sure I'm ready for CIM, but I'm well prepared.  If it doesn't work out, I'm looking at marathon in Death Valley in January...

Debra - I had something to tell you, but now I can't remember - I guess I'm having a senior moment...

Haven't officially signed on for the Holiday Streak, figured the marathon would mess that up, but streak is at 5 days now. Friday, Saturday, Sunday did 7.5 miles around home in 1:04:11, 1:03:41 and 1:00:55 (last one was trying to do at marathon pace).  Monday, 7.5 at work in 1:06:59.  Legs felt fine today, just trying to keep it slow for next couple of days.  Gotta get hotel for Saturday night...

Ray

NH:  In Nov. posts, you ask out of curiosity of whether I would ever train for another marathon during this time of year.  And I answered it but it's in the NOV posts ...... spaced that out too.

Anyway, I'll answer it here too.  i would like to say "no" .....but I didn't think I would be up here in MN either .  Not sure which is 'easier'...... training in the HOT AND HUMID of summers or in the midst of BITTER COLD artic blasts.  There are only 2 seasons here as far as I'm concerned and each of them seem to last longer than I would like ......or to train in them.  If anything, it keeps me from slacking off!

Az - Sounds like you got your long runs in.  I'm not sure I'm ready for CIM, but I'm well prepared.  If it doesn't work out, I'm looking at marathon in Death Valley in January...

Haven't officially signed on for the Holiday Streak, figured the marathon would mess that up, but streak is at 5 days now. Friday, Saturday, Sunday did 7.5 miles around home in 1:04:11, 1:03:41 and 1:00:55 (last one was trying to do at marathon pace).  Monday, 7.5 at work in 1:06:59.  Legs felt fine today, just trying to keep it slow for next couple of days.  Gotta get hotel for Saturday night...

Ray:  WOW!! Impressive pace times!! YOU are gonna ROCK that marathon!!  Tapering can be tough in that we have to remember to take it easy and slow as race day gets closer (IMO).  I'm trying to keep 6-8 mile runs.   Same here with the Holiday Streak and marathon training ........ Yeah, I need to reserve a hotel room too.  I have a couple of dirt trail races I'm considering for March (to celebrate 55!!) IF I make it to AZ for a visit.  Will search for April and May races, preferably dirt trail races.  Grandma's FM in June in Duluth.  Wild Woman Trail Marathon in July in WA state which I already registered for.  Bucket list check off:  FM back to back, and (one is) a DIRT TRAIL marathon.  Ambitious?!? You betcha! 

BTW:  weather predicts your area will get the needed rain, YAY!!  Fire damaged areas need to be aware of flooding due to less vegetation to absorb the run-off.  That happened to our area a few years ago.  Stay safe and dry.

NH Runner

Tuesday,12/2... 4 mile run today with the Tuesday running group.   Was going to take today off, but we've got lousy weather moving in tonight, so the day off got moved to tomorrow.   I ran with the crew today knowing they wouldn't push the pace, so treated it like a recovery run...

Chantilly... yes, I've got a pair of Yaktrax.    They're great when there's packed snow or icy conditions.

Fletch... thanks!   Your approach to running right now will work well with everything else that's going on in your life, congrats on the 2 miler and Gump run...

Ray... it's funny how the self-doubt creeps in when a marathon's looming, isn't it? lol   The training's in the bank, all you can do now is toe the line and give it your best shot.   Personally, I think you're going to do just fine...

az... I've often wondered how people who live where it's cold train for the Boston marathon.    If I were to ever get in, I'd have to start training now to be ready for the start in April...  To be honest, if it were Boston, I wouldn't care...lol    And yes, the tryke made me sore yesterday, but in a good way...

Chantilly75

NH Runner Your arms are going to get pretty strong from that tryke.  Probably more interesting than lifting weights! Good to get out with the group.

Re: Joe Cool: he's one of those people you see year after year, but never nods or says hello. He has his group of seniors he walks with, but I never see him speak to anyone else.  He could be 70, but hard to tell, behind the sunglasses.

az2mntrail Wow! That's a cross training day for sure!  Ambitious goals are good, but doesn't Grandma's fill up fast?  I'm sure you could do 2 marathons in 2 days. I did back-to-back marathons 2 years ago, it really wasn't that bad, I walked when needed.

...About the stationary bikes at the track.  Anyone can use them as long as a spinning class is not in session. There's an extra charge for spinning classes.

Fletch_NC The mountains would have been nice to see. Good job on the streak.

rmcj001 Good luck!

8 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Happy Tuesday!!

Talk about procrastination ........finally convince myself to go for a 'shake out' run around 11 am ...... a sunny day!! It really tempts me to go outside.   So bundled up again, with balaclava and sunglasses. A blinding SUNNY day, about 16 degrees, 7mph wind, feels like 4 degrees, YES!! It was really NICE.    Ran a steady 4.2 miler around the neighborhood and frontage road.  It was awesome!!  Legs felt good and air invigorating.  DH came home early and we had a lovely and fun dinner out.

Chantilly:  yeah, Grandma's marathon does fill up but my trail running buddy didn't register till after the holidays so I'm gonna wait till after my TX FM.  She had a BQ this year when she ran Grandma's and is looking forward to Boston but not sure if she really wants to run it, being more of a 'trail runner.'  If I BQ, it will be for 2016 .......it's on the bottom of my bucket list.......it's the dirt trail runner in me at my age so not too anxious about Boston.  I really prefer to make plans to run some dirt trail races in places like New Zealand, Italy, etc.  Yeah, back to back FM doesn't get me too anxious.  The Wild Woman event is more for 'fun' but I'm gonna see how 'conditioned' I am by then and may consider running the 50k (ultramarathon).  I'm excited about that!!

Fletch

AZ - Nice, chilly run. Your Texas marathon will feel like running in the desert! You mentioned running in Italy - that's on my bucket list. DW and I visited a few years ago, before I started running. I would love to go back and run through the streets of Rome and Florence.

Chantilly - nice 8 miler. RE: Joe Cool - I see a similar person on many of my runs through the neighborhood. Out walking his dogs. I always speak, and he never even acknowledges, until about a week ago...I finally got a half-hearted wave out of him.  Mission accomplished!

NH Rich - Nice group run.  Good to get it in before the bad weather hits.

Ray - I looked at the CIM website.  Looks like a good race.  Lots of good reviews.  Looks like you have been training well leading up to it. Good luck.

Squeezed in time for 3 quick miles this afternoon between class and a training session at the fitness studio. Planning to meet up with the Freaky Fast gang for the Wednesday morning speed work at 4:45 tomorrow morning.  The group has gotten big. 25 runners a few weeks ago. Two weeks ago, we had a cold snap come through. We were shooting for "more runners than degrees," and actually pulled it off. We had 20 runners, and it was 15 degrees when we finished! Last week, we were down to 10 really hard core nuts (me included). Weather service reported that we got about 2.5 inches of rain overnight that night, and yes, we were running in it!

Registered today for the Reindeer Fun Run this Saturday.  Decided to do the 12k rather than the 5k. I'm trying to build my base back up. Besides, I'm not quite back enough from my Achilles injury to PR in the 5k. Figure I'll just ease along for the 12k, get my finisher's medal, and PR in that event (since it's my first 12k, any finishing time will be a PR). 

Run Safe!!

rmcj001

NHRich - I think the self doubt mostly comes in when you are trying to do something you haven't done before, once you've done it you know what's involved in doing it again - mostly.  The tryke is a success!  You need to ride it more so everyone will want one!   I guess you need to design one with a skis on the front and tractor tread for the back for snow.

WDRich - Hows the 15k training going?

Debra - Don't you have some 10K races soon?

Az - Streaking?  You, Dan and Fletch.  Gotta be tough with your weather!  Got my hotel room last night through priceline - think I save a couple bucks by bidding - don't know if it was worth the time.  Yes, weather is looking mostly good for Sunday - maybe a bit warm.  Think most of the fires were south and looks like so far they've dodged the mudslide bullet...

Chantilly - still racking up the miles.  Good job!

Dan - Good job going on the streak.  Keep it up!

Fletch - CIM is a nice point to point net downhill run.  One of the more popular BQ races, 3rd most BQs happen at it IIRC and might be highest percentage.  Your doing a great job on your streak!  Good luck on your Reindeer run this weekend.

Rain started early Tuesday morning and stopped around 7pm just before I started home from work.  Didn't run at work, just couldn't get up to get soaked so put on "Tremors" and ran on the TM.  Started on 6mph and increased it every quarter mile 'til 6.8, one mile at that speed then mile 3-7 at 6.9mph with mile 8 at 7 mph.  Total time 70:56.  Then walked another 1.2 miles to get to the end of the movie.  Rain started again around midnight at a good rate, around 6am it let up.  Radar looks like most of CA is getting wet, tho So Cal looks like they're getting pockets of showers.  IIRC we only need 9-10 more just like this to get us out of our drought.

Ray