50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 05/05/2013 (Read 9 times)

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning. Nice temps and weather.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Yesterday was a rest day.

14 miles @ 5 am on the track. Taking my cat in for a check-up at the vet this afternoon, so can't run then.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday

4/29/2013

6.5 miles of running hills today, time was 1:06:29.  I'm noticing a difference since I first targeted hills earlier this year, they're getting easier...

Art, I meant to comment on your race times this year, you're running really well.   I've got a half marathon coming up in a month and with such an abbreviated training season, I'll be happy to go under 2 hours.

Chantilly, good luck with your cat.  And 14 miles on the track is good stuff...

rmcj001

Rich - Hill work is WORK!  But, it is good to hear they're getting easier for you.

Chantilly - 14 miles on the track is just incredible!

Art - Nice run.  Congrats on your race!  Oh, if you lost your weather I think it's here...

Yesterday 11.5 mile with son.  He isn't in very good shape right now and had to walk a bit and couldn't keep up on the hills.  Did catch a 3.5 foot gopher snake!  Very pretty snake.  Only 78F while we were running, of course they ain't much shade at the dish so felt much warmer.

Today a 91F day, 7 miles in 61:35.  Had to make a pit stop at mile 5 and left my keys behind.  Realized at mile 7, DOH!  Too hot to run back and finally got back to work an hour later then planned, sigh...Oh, dopey me!  The extra walk did let me dry up a bit.

Ray

adkkev

Hey everyone!  Nice running by all ...

8.5 trail miles yesterday, 6.6 trail miles today.  Sunday was beautiful, nice & sunny, temp about 72.  Today was cloudy, misty, temp about 52 ... but between the peepers & the songbirds it was a noisy run today!!  Ducks, geese, countless birds, wow.  Thought I'd see one of the beavers swimming in the canal but I guess they were taking the evening off.  Big grin

NH Runner

Tuesday

4/30/2013

8 miles on the railtrail today in 44:28.  That'd be pretty fast if I was running, but I rode the mtn bike instead...Big grin I wanted to give my running muscles a break after yesterday's hills, now we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

adkkev... agreed, lots of nice runs by everyone.

Chantilly75

rmcj001 nice for you to run with your son.  His fitness will catch up a lot faster than ours....WinkBig grin

adkkev sounds like a very scenic run

NH Runner do you find that biking helps your quad strength?

8 miles in early morning.

4 miles in afternoon with friend.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

6.3 rough trail miles at the local state forest ... lots of hills, plenty of rocks, branches, & roots to watch out for & a couple of blow-downs across the trail to go around.  Temp around 70 & sunshine.  Very nice to run when the bugs haven't arrived yet!!

Chantilly75

9 miles  on the track. Still quite frosty in the mornings.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday

5/1/2013

7 miles today, warmed for a mile, ran the next 5 at what felt like half marathon effort, then cooled for a mile.  Average pace for the 5 in the middle was 8:51's and calculates out to a 1:56:01 half.  We'll see how close that is to what I actually run on June 2nd.

Chantilly, riding the bike does work your quads, but I don't ride enough to get much benefit from it.   I'm making a concious effort to run more hills this year, hoping to build leg strength doing that.   When's your marathon btw, it's coming right up, isn't it?

Gopher snake, eh Ray?  I try to give snakes a wide berth at all times...lol

adkkev... trail runs work muscles that never get worked running the highway, nice workout!

rmcj001

Got up early yesterday to beat the heat, but decided to try and do my repeats on the treadmill.  After 2nd of what was to be 3 2 mile runs, I was completely soaked.  I didn't feel that hot, but dripping all over the treadmill is not that good, so cut the run at 5.6 miles.  Nice thing about the repeats on the treadmill is I could just set it to 8 minute miles, course for each lap I sped it up the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile so times were 15:56 and 15:52.  Wasn't mentally up to running again in the evening.

5 miles today, only 82F today.  Easy day today, running with a buddy from work who's just starting out. 49 minutes.

Rich - you had me going on the bike ride.  Damn 5.5 minute miles! wait, oooohhhhh....Snakes are way cool.  Hike Half Dome in Yosemite came upon a timber rattlesnake and was able to get close enough to snap some reasonable pictures with my phone.  Gopher snakes look kind of like rattlesnakes, a little shinier and much thinner for the length.  If you corner them they'll coil up like a rattlesnake and if shake their tail.  This one was crossing the road.  Everyone else thought it was a rattlesnake  and I'm chasing it and picking it up.

Chantilly - my marathon is 6 weeks out.  10K speed work race this Saturday (funny when a 10K is speed work...)

advkev -  Isn't that what bug repellent is for?  Nothing like the stench of "Off!"

Ray

Art in AZ

No snakes where I run usually. But they caught a small bear last night by a school about 10 miles from here. Took him into the national forest and turned him loose.

6 mile run on street and by the canal.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Hope the bear makes out ok and doesn't come back into town.

8 miles. Still have more than 3 weeks to get ready.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday,

5/2/2013

4 miles today.  A 1 mile warm up, then 8 X's 400m X 90 second break between, then 1 mile cool down.  400 meter pace was 1:50 avg, or 7:20 mpm.

What Ray, you don't think I can run a 5.5 mile? lol I don't either...lol   How are you feeling about your marathon?  I'm always excited and apprehensive at the same time, hoping for a good day.

How about you Chantilly, are you excited?  I miss not training for one this year, but think I'm better off taking the break.

I've seen a number of black bear over the years and always get the same impression, they just want to be left alone.  My nephew walked to the back edge of his property last year, turned the corner to walk past his tool shed and came face to face with a large black bear.  He turned himself inside out trying to retreat, but the bear just huffed at him and walked away.

adkkev

3.25 at lunch time & then 6.1 after work this evening around town.  Beautiful weather, much warmer than I expected today (about 80 degrees!).