50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

justrundan

Happy March, the month of spring?!?

2 runs on TM yesterday, interrupted by meeting at work.  5 mi early morning, then 4.5 late morning.  Crazy at work right now, we are getting ready to move our offices to a different building in the medical complex here, across 2 parking lots.  My partner and I have been in our building almost 30 years, so tough to move.  They are also installing a much more complex phone system, so we'll have that to get used to as well.

DW & I walked 3 mi on riverwalk this morning, 10 degrees, felt like -4.  Good time.

Ray, I would need a jet pack to keep up with you on your 'dead legs' run.  You really motor, man!

Debra, the weather has actually slowed things down in our office; we have a very geriatric practice so the cold and snow sometimes causes cancellations.

Here's to a warmer month friends!  The 10 day forecast here has only 2 sub-zero nights, tonight and tomorrow night! 

Dan

rmcj001

Dan well, it helps that I don't have to contend with your weather, thanks. Good to see you're keeping the training up!

Sat, 3/1, 3.3 miles on the TM, before drive to LA. Sitting in lax waiting for flight back to SF.  Crazy day, lunch in San Luis obispo with DS1. Dinner in LA with HS buddy. Should sleep well tonight...

Ray

NH Runner

Saturdayday, 3/1...  yesterday was 3 miles on the railtrail.  Walked / jogged the first mile to warm up, then ran the next 2.   Splits were 12:47, 10:33 and 10:27.   It looks like my achilles will tolerate a short run like this, so I'm trying to work them in every few days.

Sunday, 3/2... 8.5 miles of skate skiing on the railtrail today.   The trail's like a roller coaster due to the snowmobile traffic and I fell 3 or 4 times, but fell face first instead of on my back and avoided any serious damage...   As of Feb. 28th I've skied 112 miles since the first of the year, that's a lot of miles for someone who'd rather be running...

Dan... sounds like progress is catching up with your little part of the world, good luck with the move and new phone system.   Nicely done with the treadmill runs and walk with DW.

Ray... busy day yesterday, eh?  I wonder how much the current rain is helping your drought, do you know?

adkkev

Saturday 3/1 - rest day ...

Sunday 3/2 - 6 miles on the treadmill.  I contemplated going outside for a run but the subzero wind chill changed my mind.  The sun was out & it sure LOOKED nice ... but ... I must be getting wimpy in my old age.

I signed up for a mud run on the first Saturday of April ... along with a co-worker & her husband.  As the plan is to run in kilts (yes, you read that right), it better warm up a bit over the course of this month.

Fletch

No time for the individual comments today, but nice work, everyone.

Friday - rest day.

Saturday - 4 miles around town with Brady the Wonder Dog.

Sunday - Yard work and hiking with DW and the dogs. Beautiful afternoon...got up to 70 degrees!

Today (Monday) - 5 miles this morning, watching a gorgeous sunrise over the pastures in horse country!

It was 55 degrees when I finished the run at 7:00 this morning.  It is now 10:30 am, and still 55 degrees, but raining.  The front is passing through, and they are predicting a 23 degree drop by 3:00 pm.  Rain will turn to sleet, freezing rain, and possibly some snow.

The weather man is starting to annoy me!

Safe running.

Crazy Diamond

Dan-Nice mix of TM and outdoor walk to begin March.  Hope the move and learning the phone system goes well at your new office. Tough getting used to being in a different place!

Ray-Nice TM miles while you were traveling.  Good you were able to see your son and buddy.

Rich-WTG on 112 xc skiing miles to date!  It's great the skiing doesn't aggravate your achilles, you're able to enjoy being outside and getting a fantastic cardio workout to boot!  Sounds challenging dealing with the snowmobile traffic, though.

adkkev-Wimpy??? Nope.  This winter has gone on too long!  Kilt and mud run -  "Braveheart" comes to mind!  Can't wait for the RR, hopefully w/ pictures!

Ended February with 116 miles, so pleased to have back to back months w/ 100+ mileage.  Crazy weekend driving DS2 and other cast members to and from performances and cast parties.  DH and I realized we are no longer night owls!  The facility that holds the indoor track had a speed skating event over the weekend, so I couldn't get on the track until after 4pm yesterday.  Ran 11 miles, plus 1 mile walk. Tough run, lack of quality sleep was definitely a factor, but got it done.  Mr. Freeze launching March with below zero temps again.  Sun is bright and shining today, and it sure does help!

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Rich - The water situation in CA is complicated.  This is year 3 of below average rain.  SF is at about 42% of normal precipitation, but what happens there has little affect on its water supply.  SF gets most of its water from Hetch hetchy in the Sierras.  IIRC average snow pack is/was about 33% of normal.  Our house is supplied by Hetch hetchy too.  This last storm helped, but they are saying we would need at least 5 more just like it and that probably isn't going to happen...

adkkev - Did mud run with son and a friend, it was fun.  Just remember wishing my friend was in just a bit better shape so we could go faster, but it was still a lot of fun.  Doing it in kilts should at to the fun.  You can't tell by looking at me (or from my name), but my grandfather was Scottish (an Innes! an Innes! )

Debra - Awesome on the mileage! Especially true given the weather.  The 11 miler is impressive too!

Fletch - Way to keep it up!  Normally I would say 55F sounds pretty darn good, but when there's humidity..

Sunday, 3/2, lazed around during the day and then waited for the oscars to end before hitting the TM, 10 miles 1:21:33.  Only allowed my self to hit the faster button .  Watching a movie (Gladiator) while running helped a lot...

Monday, 3/3, had to be back for call, so 6.01 in 52:26 - could tell I did long run last night...

Ray

adkkev

another 6 miles on the treadmill tonight followed by a half mile cool down walk ... getting used to seeing familiar faces @ the Y every night now.  Not too many people run though, and if they do, it's not for very long.

Debra - nice running miles for February!!  My January & February miles were low ... I'm hoping that I can keep on track this month & top 100 miles.

Ray - I don't know how you do 10 miles on the TM ... 7 is about my limit right now.  If I didn't have a ipod to listen to I don't know how I'd stay on that thing very long at all.

NH Runner

Monday, 3/3... was a quick run on the treadmill.  Just over 2 miles, I brought the pace to 9:00 minute miles, held it for a 1/2 mile, then shut the run down.   I wanted to see how my achilles would react and everything went fine...

Tuesday, 3/4...  4 miles on the highway after a 10 minute warm-up on the treadmill.   Splits were 9:00, 8:41, 8:36 and 8:42.   Not quite time to celebrate, but there's hope for me yet...

adkkev... I think you've worn your treadmill out... lol   A mud run in a Kilt? lol   Don't forget pictures, that race sounds like a riot...

Fletch... my yardwork is still buried under 2 feet of snow...  Nice running.

Gito... the snowmobile crowd can be a pain, but the skiing would suffer if they weren't grooming the trail, so they're worth the aggravation.   You're rock soild as usual, can't wait to hear how your half goes that's coming up.

Ray... here's hoping for more rain your way.   And 10 miles on the treadmill?   Wow!

Chantilly75

adkkev Good luck in your kiltie mud run.

A guy in my group wears a kilt in every marathon. He has a lot of fun.

rmcj001 nice you are getting the rain, but I guess it all depends on the mountains for you.. The movie Gladiator could be pretty inspiring...

NH Runner pretty fast miles for a sore achilles.…where do I get one?

gito57 nice indoor runs and way to go keeping the monthly mileage up. Hard to do when you're chauffeuring kids around.

(DS2= second son?)

justrundan It would be hard to change after that length of time in your office. Hope you like the new digs!

Fletch_NC  yard work   Some nice weather there to lull you into a false sense of spring.

My yard is under 2-3 feet of snow.

Had several days off due to cold symptoms and working.

6 miles. Feeling better.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone!  Have not run in 13 days due to a couple of slow moving darn polar vortexes, and been enduring sub zero degrees so had nothing to post ......... until TODAY.  Gorgeous sunny day  with balmy temps between 10-15 degrees!!  I was intent on getting a run in TODAY.  Question in my head prior to run:  How far can I run in 54 minutes?  5.1 miles .........so I kept going till I reached 5.4 miles!! YAY!!  Because today is my 54th birthday!!    YIPPEE!!   Last two miles were tough in the snow with patches of icy slush with a pretty chilly headwind but I made it.  I've been keeping up with my health rider, weights, lunges, etc. while waiting out the frigid brutal temps the last couple of weeks.  We had a couple of nice gentle snow but that darn wind!!    Will play this day by day .......again.  But predictions are that we got the last really cold snowstorm so temps should be climbing up ........ever so slowly ...........and just watch the snow melt.

So much to catch up on but it seems like each of you have been doing awesome after reading a few posts. WTG!!

Crazy Diamond

Fletch-Great running!  55F degrees ... ahhhh ... it sounds wonderful! Normally, we don't see those temps until May.  The 6" of snow that fell on December 8th is still around, which is very unusual, along with 2-ft. more to keep it company.

Ray-10 miles on the TM - YOU are a Gladiator!  Nicely done on the recovery run, too.

adkkev-You're in a nice rhythm with your TM training runs - you'll get the to 100 miles(or more) for March easy!

Rich-Your splits are awesome!  Sounds like the achilles was up to the test. 

Chantilly-Great to hear you're feeling better!  Nice 6 miles to get March rolling.  Yes, DS2 is the younger son.  Eleven years between the boys, it's like having two "only" kids!  DH and I sorta feel more like grandparents around his HS friends.  Their parents are SO young! 

Monday, strength workout w/ bands and stretching.  Tuesday, 1 mile easy, 6 x 600m at 5k pace, 1 mile easy and 1 mile walk at the indoor track.  I haven't done structured speed work previously, and not sure if I'm doing it correctly.  After the first 600m, I would recover for 600m.  I did feel I had recovered before beginning the next interval.  By the 6th, I was so happy to be done. Luckily, the track wasn't crowded.  Keeping track of the repeats was challenging.  I wonder if I would get the same bang for the buck if I ran fartlek for the same distance listed on my training plan.  Thoughts?

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

HAPPY 54th BIRTHDAY AZ2MN!!!!

WTG on your 5.4 mile run in 54 minutes!  I knew you would have to run that .3 to get to 5.4!!!

Wish I could drop some dancing bananas in my post to celebrate your special day. But these cool guys will have to do!

Enjoy celebrating!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

Happy Birthday AZ!!  Glad you were able to get out & run to celebrate!!!

6.1 outdoor miles this evening around town.  Y was closing due to a power outage (lights were back on but I guess their computers, etc., were down) so I decided to suck it up & try an outdoor run.  Glad I did.  Temp about 15 degrees, no wind (for a change!).  Stuck to the streets, no sidewalk action because they are still icy in many places.  Mixed in a number of hills along the way.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 3/5... cross trained today, 6 miles of skate skiing on the railtrail.

Chantilly... I can't let you have my sore achilles, but can tell you how to make your own if you'd like...    Glad you're feeling better...

az... Happy Birthday!    And happy to see you out the door and running again!  Yee Haa!!!

gito... it sounds like  you were right on with the intervals, you're supposed to be tired, but not so tired you can't hold pace throughout the workout.    Stick with them, they do work...

adkkev... it feels great to be out in the fresh air, doesn't it?  Nice run!