50 and over 5k and beyond

October Runs and Workouts (Read 28 times)

Nana_

Am I first here this month?

Thanks All for the warm welcome and re-welcome in September

10/1    3 miles

resting up for HM in T minus 9 days

Have a good month Everyone!

:-)

NH Runner

I can't believe September's gone already...

Wednesday, 10/1... rained today, but stopped long enough for me to get in an easy 4 mile mtn bike ride.   The recover ride I did 2 days ago worked so good I decided to do it again...

Hi Jo!... are you getting nervous about your half yet?   I love the nervous energy that always hits before a race.    Nice 3 miler, what are your plans for the next 9 days, do you have a schedule you're following?

Sept went soooo quickly!! Happy October everyone!

Jo:  thanks for starting the month ......good job on the 3 miler; tapering can be what you have been looking forward to but one always wonder if you have had 'enough' miles, right?  Trust your training and you will amaze yourself when you cross the finish line!

NH runner: Glad the bike ride helped with the recovery, I enjoy them too .......although it's 'tough' for me to not run somewhere between riding.

Dan:  I'm running the 26k race event here, Blue Ox which includes a FM and HM on Oct. 11 ...........made the switch from the FM to 26k (16.1).  Question for Doctor Dan:  What do you think of my 'migraine' (below)?

Monday and Tuesday, I was pretty much down with a surprising yet very sensitive migraine affecting my left eye area/temple, even my scalp was soooo tender ......reading up on it, one of the 'causes' was intense exercise just prior ......the 'aura'....... interesting nevertheless it was distressing and limited my activity for 2 days, rested Mon/Tues.  I tried to go over what might have triggered it but haven't a clue.  The only major change is the weather.  I did feel cold with a slight earache from Sunday's run.  The eyelid is still a little sensitive but migraine 'headache' is gone. It has happened a couple of times before in the last 10 yrs.  Just weird.

I had to run today.  Threat of rain all day but it just stayed cloudy and slight breeze.  Went for a 4.1 miles on the Movil Maze mtn bike trail; NICE temps of 55 degrees, and gorgeous with all the bright orange, yellow, red leaves paving the trail .......but had to be overly cautious with each step.  That kinda played on my psyche which kept my pace slower than I wanted to .......so I drove home and ran another 4 miles (with 1 minute walk break at 2 miles) around the paved/dirt road of the neighborhood.  Total 8.1 miles.  Quads feeling pretty 'heavy' but pushed it through and felt better after 6 miles.

Fletch:  That is a very courageous decision and an adventurous move at this time in your life.  You had alot to think about lately.  I think as we 'mature,' we have perspective on quality time and we question our 'time' left and whether we have accomplished what we consider to be a 'successful' life .......however we measure that.  I have friends/family who made such critical change in their lives in their 40s/50s/60s as it pertains to their work/professional life.  I totally get it.  I went through a similar situation when I decided to have my own business about 16 yrs ago.  It's very personal and naturally, the uncertainties/doubts will enter our heads now and then.  I applaud your decision.  Life should be lived with being fully and passionately engaged, not being with the status quo.  You sound happier and convey an anticipation of a more satisfying way to balance family and work.  I wish you the best.  Running can provide clarification of significant moments in our lives.  Sounds like you're taking it easy.  Glad you're not trying to keep up with the speed group.  At least you have a 'running group' to spend time with.  Do you have a race in mind?

NH Runner

Thursday, 10/2... 7 mile run today, took the dog out for the first mile and that split reflects his itty bitty bladder...  13:04, 9:22. 9:02, 9:33, 8:54, 8:52 and 8:44.    Fourth mile involved a respectable hill, but I think the over-all quicker pace indicates I'm slightly over trained, the more I rest, the quicker I run...

az... I used to get migraines when I was younger and wouldn't wish them on anyone.   Not much you can do except ride them out, I hope you're done with 'em for a while.    Another solid workout for you under less-than-perfect conditions, WTG!

Fletch... the only after affects from the stress fracture is the loss of fitness and aerobic capacity from the 2.5 month lay-off, my leg feels great.   I seem to have gained a few pounds too, but that's to be expected when you eat like a runner even when you're unable to run...   I admire your ability to train smart, you're handling your Achilles injury like a seasoned veteran.

WDWRich...sounds like you're in for a fun week with the kids and grandkids, enjoy!!

rmcj001

NHRich - Like the speed up at the end there!  I like to think of the last 3 like a 5K with a negative split.  Keep it up!

Az - Migraines are no fun, the "auras" are annoying...I've read that some get exercise migraines, mine seem to be more related to caffeine intake and seasons.  Glad you were able to get some runs in spite of everything.

WDRich - Sounds like we've got the same weather up here, could be close to 100F tomorrow - joy o joy!  Enjoy the family time and run sanely...

Wed, 10/1, 8.5 miles in 1:14:45 with temps around 85F - didn't feel as easy as it should have.  Thurs, 10/2, 8.3 in 1:09:28 with temps at 90F.  At mile 7 was slowing up a bit when I heard someone coming up on me - felt like I should make him work to catch me so sped up, last 2+ miles were 7:44, 7:30 and last .3 @ 7:09mpm and yes I was working my butt off...

Ray

SNOW FLURRIES, drizzle, windy, cloudy, about 34 degrees, feels like 24, and 25 mph wind!!  What a difference a day makes !!

Been obsessive about checking the weather everyday this week and when to run my 'long run.'  The predicted COLD FRONT is definitely here today.  Yesterday was absolutely the most perfect autumn day .......about 60 degrees, 5mph wind, partly sunny, just spectacular with the blazing fall colors of the leaves along the dirt road to the nearby lake.   I had to run again ....it was perfectly glorious ..... a day like this will only appear next year!  Muscles and joints from Wed. mtn trail run felt so much better.  Finished 13 miles, incorporating a 1 min or 30 sec walk break after every 2 miles.  Kept a steady pace throughout with last two miles:  9:55, 9:35. I was pretty happy with that.  Rest day today ...... hoping for another run on Saturday and/or Sunday with my trail running friend.

WDWRich:  have fun with the grandkids, grandpa!!  Maybe show them how 'fast' of a runner you are, just kidding.

Ray:  amazing split times as usual.  Sometimes ......having a runner breathing down your neck is the motivator you need, GOOD JOB!!

NHrunner:  I run to eat ......holidays test my taste buds.

Have a super duper Friday everyone!!

Thought I share some gorgeous photos of the changing leaves along the dirt road to the lake - this was on Thursday!!

Easier to see the road versus the mtn bike trail (ran it on Wed.) where I had to go slow to avoid tripping on hidden rocks, roots, etc. beneath the leaves.  Today we have snow flurries!!  Sad

WDWRich

AZ - Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

Happy October everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Happy October everyone!

AZ- we are due for some of your weather, it's actually arriving this afternoon.  RE: the migraine, it certainly sounds fairly typical.  I'm glad you don't get them often!  Did you have to take anything to treat it, or just wait it out?  So many things can be a trigger, and when you don't have them often, it's sometimes hard to tell.  DW used to get them fairly frequently, but since she got a new boss a  year and a half ago(), only 1 or 2 during  that time.  High stress, lack of sleep, and a really hard cry seemed to be her triggers.

Jo, good to hear from you again, and thanks for starting us off on Wednesday!  Keep us up to date as you taper, and give us all the details in the RR!

Nice pics AZ; lots of color here, but if this wind keeps up the leaves will be down soon.  Nice 13 miles, and very nice pace on the last 2!

Fletch- I agree with the others, very brave of you, but I believe you will look back on it as a good decision.  That is something I am NOT good at!  I tend to opt for status quo, the safe route, etc.  As Popeye said, I yam what I yam.   -

NHRich & Ray- love those fast paces!  maybe someday... 

5 mi on Thursday, then 7.2 today, with 5 @ HM pace in the middle with warm up/cool down.  Was able to keep each mile a little under 10m/mi, and dropped the pace slightly each mile.  pushed an extra 0.1 as if I were finishing a 13.1, and did 7:30 on that.  Tomorrow is scheduled to be a 12miler, so I'll be using a walk after most of the miles, I think.

I hate to be saying this again, but for my northern running friends, STAY WARM!

Dan

NH Runner

Friday, 10/3... with so few miles under my belt since I got hurt, I'm trying different ways to recover after a run.   I started out early today with an easy 3 mile recovery run, but didn't like the results so got on the mtn bike for an easy 6 mile ride later in the day.    We'll see how I feel tomorrow...

ray... you didn't say whether the runner coming up from behind caught you or not, that's no way to leave your readers...    Nice runs the last couple of days!

az... you run in some awesome country, the lake looks beautiful!   And you've got to be happy with your training, you're running really well!

rmcj001

NHRich - Guy, to his credit, stayed pretty close the whole way and only passed me after I finished my run.  3+6 sounds like a good recovery workout!

Az - Great pictures!  Looks like a reasonable course to run!

WDRich - It didn't quite get to 100F here today, only 99F...

I think I let the heat get to me today, 10.4 miles in 1.5+ hours, app said 97F at end of run.  I cut the run short and walked the last 3/4 mile - totally zapped now.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 10/4... ran the Chili Cook-off 5k in a neighboring town this morning, unofficially in 26:48.    Rain was forecast, but held off with a starting temp of 52 degrees.    With so little base after getting hurt back in June, I decided I'd take it easy the first mile, then see how I felt.    At the 1 mile mark, I realized I was running with 3 other white haired guys who were probably in my age group, so once we topped the short steep hill in the second mile, I picked up the pace and dropped the Punks.     I was gradually picking off other runners as the race progressed and noticed a woman a 100 yards ahead pushing a stroller.    There's just something about people pushing strollers that bugs me, I don't mind 'em behind me, just not in front...       Anyway, I passed her with a 1/4 mile to go, but darned if she didn't  come right back and  pass me again and the race was on.    I finally got her by a step at the finish, running the last 1.1 miles in 8:44, or 7:56 pace.

Very happy with the race, but didn't stay around for the awards thinking the time wasn't good enough.   Surprisingly, another runner who knows me did stay and picked up 2 water glasses with the race's logo on 'em that I'd won.    He stopped at the house a while ago and dropped them off .   I'm assuming one was for an age group award (60+) and the other was probably for being the scariest...

ray... you did the right thing to shut your run down, tomorrow's another day!

PS: I've tried to edit this post to re-aligned the left side, but it won't let me...

JUST INCREDIBLE NHrunner!!  WOOHOO!!  And you're rehabbing ......WAY TO GO!! You're gonna be one fast dude when you're fully recovered, watch out!!    I had to laugh at the runners pushing strollers comment ..........I feel the same way!!  She made you EARN those finish places, !!  Same thing happened to me a few years ago against 2 runners who were racing each other but I passed them in the last mile too!! Man, they were fast too!! Either had to pass them or be 'road kill' I thought, LOL!!   Again, CONGRATS, you did great!!

Ray:  agree with NHrunner on cutting your last run short with that heat, scary!  Had to do the same due to heat AND humidity when I was in Philly last month.  Even had to lay on a bench to let my body cool off and it took me the rest of the day and next day to recover.  Better safe than sorry.  Yet .........can't believe you have those temps!!  We had snow last night!!  Currently, it's only 36 degrees, feels like 25, 20mph wind, BRRR!

Dan:  I usually ride out my migraines .........but when it's severe and at least 2 days, I end up taking motrin or aspirin ......I really don't like taking any meds unless I absolutely have to.  DH follows me around with meds, LOL!!  I tend to try other options, red wine would be my choice ( ) but it's usually resting in a dark, quiet place with my head hanging off the side of the bed, how strange is that?!? But it seems to work.  Had comments from friends that they know of someone who tends to have them due to intense exercise ......... weird cuz I should be getting them daily then, right??  Guess the planets have to be in perfect alignment for that to happen, LOL!!

Yes, it snowed last night but it all melted by this morning .........the cold wind and temps are hanging around so procrastinating whether to run 6, 8, or 10 miles today or take a chance on tomorrow ........weather predicted to be the same.  Trail running buddy is stuck in New Jersey due to Chicago airport's fiasco .......which I thought cleared by now .......but she is hoping to be back by this evening and would like to run tomorrow.  I will see how she feels after her flight and drive from Twin Cities .....How thoughtful am I?1?  haha!!  I do need to run.  I'm rambling ..........that's what happens when you're stuck indoors due to crappy weather in northern MN!! 

justrundan

Rich- amazing race while still recovering!  Getting beat by stroller runners is tough, I should know!    I'd feel worse except they usually look like ex-college CC runners with their first baby.

Ray- Hard to imagine going for a brisk walk, let alone a run in that heat.  Is it humid where you are too?

There were a few flurries mixed with the rain about 7 this morning.  Windy too, so I postponed the run till mid-afternoon.  Dry and mid-40's, but still 15-20 mph winds.  The pace run yesterday took a lot out of me, so I only got in 9 before I called it quits. The plan called for 10, and I'd hoped to get 12.  Next week!   Fortunately the run kept me from watching the Badger game! 

AZ- the simplest med for migraines is naproxen, or Aleve.  2 of those OTC tabs at first sign of the headache will often get rid of it.  The earlier a med is taken, the more effective it is, in general, for migraines.  I've not seen post exercise migraine; the best known is the migraine that comes after, er, 'nocturnal exercise'.      Hope your trail running buddy is up for a run tomorrow.

Dan