50 and over 5k and beyond

March 2018 runs, races and workouts (Read 10 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az - glad you liked the photos!  No rain or snow as of yet, may go for a run after breakfast today, later, may get over a foot of snow!. As to upcoming races, well, my main focus is just training for the Wineglass Marathon which will be on Sept 30. It is difficult to get time off from work since most races are on weekends when I work from 7 am to 3 pm and then can always be mandated to work an extra shift. If I can get the day off, or trade shifts with another worker then it becomes possible, but with being short of staff that becomes hard. I can only call in sick a few times before they start asking for a doctor's note. Plus, the expense of entry fees and the travel time to the race. Anyway, I went online and made a list of local races that I may consider doing, but only the Oak Tree and Wineglass are definite..

April 22-Flower Ciy HM - There were a lot of flour mills in Rochester NY, so it got the name "Flour city", later changed to "Flower city" Would like to do this one. Coming up soon, but I am ready!

May 27- Buffalo Marathon - About a two hour drive from here. Not sure if I will be ready, but a flat course, not too hard.

June 30- Finger Lakes 50s- Just found these online. A 50 mile, 50k and a 25k Trail race! Very nearby in a park by Hemlock Lake, and I am certain I can do at least the 25k .

Sept 2-Oak Tree HM- Right where I live in Geneseo, run parts of this all the time!

Sept 9-Glen Iris 5k- Just a week after my half. In beautiful Letchworth Park "The Grand Canyon of the East".

Sept 23-Rochester Marathon- a hilly course just a week before the Wineglass, don't think so.

Sept 30- Wineglass Marathon- Hope to BQ on this one!

Oct 13-Canlake50- A 50 mile around Canandaigua lake or a 50k point to point. If I can get off from work it would be a challenge to do either one, never ran beyond 26.2.

And of course there are 5ks or even 10ks nearly every weekend If I choose.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Thursday, 3/1... with tomorrow's Nor'easter in the forecast, getting out for a run today to avoid 2 days with no running seemed like a good idea.  And with a temp right at 32 when I left the house this morning, but forecast to reach 50, time was of the essence if I was going to avoid running in slush.   I wore Yaktrax designed for packed snow and they worked great for keeping me upright where the ice was difficult to navigate around.  A 5 miler that actually felt pretty good, I've been foam rolling and self myofascial release on my right calf and hamstring that's helping to keep those muscles loose.

Art... hang in there with the weather, I think your temperature swings through the course of a year are as bad as mine.

Altair5... you ran the gamut in that 10 miler, warm and sunny to wind and rain, then back to dry again...lol   Congrats. on the run, 10 miles is a nice jump in distance.   Enjoyed the photos, especially the flowers.   You're a little ahead of us with the warmer weather this Spring, no flowers here yet.

az... yeah, between the 'testy' injury that's not that far into your rear view mirror and fighting off a cold, to take on a 34 mile ultra was pretty gutsy.   Experience is probably almost as important as training, eh?  And absolutely be proud of your finish, you did great!   The boots I ran the trail in the other day were water proof hiking boots that I wore because there was water and slush on the trail.   I use two versions of Yaktrax, one for packed snow and one for ice.   I can get by most of the time without the ones for packed snow, but if there's ice, the ones with carbide studs are a life saver...

Updated:

My upcoming races:

March 25: Bataan Memorial Death March Trail Marathon - White Sands NM

April 8 - Tuba City half marathon trail - AZ

April 22 - Dam Good Run 26K - Lake Pleasant Regional Park, AZ - tentative

May 5 - Shiprock Marathon - NM

June 2 - Thelma & Louise Half Marathon - Moab, UT

June 9 - Flagstaff Extreme Pine 27K or 54K

June 17 - Run for Life - AZ

July 7 - Golden Gate Trail Run, marathon or 50K - tentative

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Almost 6 pm and the rain and snow has held off for now! Did 5 miles, overcast and 39 degrees. Finished in 58:39, not particularly fast, but I had allowed 1 hr 10 min for the run, so was happy to finish in less than an hour. My fastest time for this course was like 55 minutes, so slower than that but better than the average time.

az - I will see if I can get the time off for the June 50k, so near where I live and I have walked on some of the trails. Smooth dirt paths through the trees, should be cool even in the summer heat! Thelma and Louise HM? Do you jump off a cliff at the end?

justrundan

Rare afternoon run today. 4.8 on local roads. 41 & windy. Good to be outside! 😊

AZ- great race & great race report!  I agree, very gutsy. You have quite a race schedule coming up. Enjoy.

Altair- the long hours can take a toll on the legs, that’s for sure. Good runs to get back at it.

Rich- I see your weather is up and down like Wisconsin.  61 here on Wednesday so ALL the snow is gone. 😭😏

Dan

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I most likely will not run today with a foot of snow falling last night. Busy shoveling out the driveway. Electric power went out from 1 am to 9 am. Anyway, quite a contrast from the spring like weather and flowers from the last few days. Take a look at these photos from today, all taken around my yard:

The railing around my deck piled with snow

This tree fell last night just over the the edge of my yard

Snow covered pine

Branches laden with snow

justrundan

Altair-  wow, that’s March for you!  Flowers and then snow.

9.1 miles on RiverWalk today, 44 and only slight wind so just wore shorts & short sleeve tech over long sleeve tech shirt. Longest run in months. Felt good to be outside. 👍

Dan

NH Runner

Friday, 3/2... no run today, Nor'easter started out as snow that quickly turned to rain that kept it up all day.   Crossed trained with floor exercises..

Saturday, 3/3... 10 to 15 mph wind with gusts to 25 today, so the trail with its trees to block the wind was the only way to go.   After all the rain we got yesterday, the footing was surprisingly good.   A few spots where it was soft or slippery, but that was it.   It surprised me to meet the 3 dog sleds 2 miles into the run, I figured they were probably making up for the day off caused by yesterday's Nor'easter.   5 miles today that felt surprisingly good, can't wait to start adding more miles to some of these runs...

Altair5... this time of year can be frustrating, can't it?   Spring one day and Winter the next.   For some reason, my area avoided the snow you were gifted with yesterday, but I'm not complaining...lol  Good that you got the 5 miler in...

Dan... a couple of nice runs outside lately, especially like that 9.1 miler, congrats.!

Art in AZ

Stupid website. Just before I was finished it bonked out and I lost the post. Abbreviated post now.

3 miles Thursday morning.

3 miles Friday morning.

3 miles Saturday late afternoon after starting on the small bathroom remodel. Taking out the tub and putting in a shower.

4 miles this morning. Entering last week of study. Last day is Thursday March 8. I won't know if I get picked for the rechallenge phase until towards the end of March. If I do, it's just for the first week of April. At least I get a few weeks of no restriction running in.

Altair - Nice pictures and crazy weather. Hard to plan for future events with your situation at work.

Rich - I don't know which I would want, the snow ar the rain. Probably the rain. No snow shoveling.

Dan - I see your enjoying the runs outside.

AZ - Ambitious race schedule you have there. Too bad the Thelma and Louise is a women's only event. Looks like a nice place to run. Have you ever done the Damn Good Race before? That Flagstaff Extreme Pine race looks like an excuse to head North and cool off for a few days.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Wow, time flies.

Az - Couple nice race reports!  Congrats!  Last one sounded a little tough, but you made it!  DW and I will be running SF Marathon at end of July, so might be able to do a half 3 weeks out.  Run schedule looks very ambitous!

Art - Keeping busy and shortening up those runs.  Gotta do what you gotta do!

Dan - Winter always seems to be a tough time to maintain consistency, think that makes spring races a little iffy. Good that you're getting some runs in.

Altair - Crazy work schedule for you and crazy weather.  Train as much as you can.  I know it can be tough to get those runs in when work gets in the way. Nice pics!

Rich  - Dog sleds, snow mobiles, slippery trails.  Still you getting out there.  Hope the calf lets you run more.

Ok, big news is DW and I got in on our time-qualifying entries to NY Marathon - so, we'll be in NY in November. 2 half marathons completed in last half of February.  2nd one was so DW could keep her 8 year streak of at least a half marathon a month going - she was sick for the first one and deferred her entry. Montara Half was a little slower then last year, didn't feel like pushing it and it wouldn't have made much difference in my age group, but did finish behind someone I normally finish ahead of - so, I know I was slacking. Victory Half was interesting as we ran along the northeast bay on an out and back. Fortunately for me they had 5 year age groups and all the faster men were in the 50-55 group.  All those grey haired dudes who passed me in the last 2 miles were in that group. Anyway, it was still fun.

Finished off February with a few more miles then last year and am off to reasonable start to March (even with a rest day). Yesterdays 15 miler helped keep the mileage respectable for the week and month.

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday, 3/4... pressed for time, I only managed a 2 mile run on the trail this morning.   Temp was above freezing and the footing was soft, so 2 was enough.

Monday, 3/5... 5 mile road run this morning through the local covered bridge.  Pesky headwind going out, but happy with the run and quicker pace.

Art... every now and then this stupid web site bites me too...lol  Lots of shorter runs that maintain fitness, good for you   Are you hoping to be chosen for the re-challenge?  I guess if it were me, I'd want to finish the whole test.

Ray... congrats. to you and DW getting into NY's marathon.   Seems like there's 35,000 runners, but still done with a lottery because there's something like 50,000 applications.   I wonder if Shalane will be back this year, or Galen.   Still running as solid as ever and racing well, good for you.  As far as my heel, I've made friends with a foam roller lately and rolling my legs a couple of times a day.   I THINK it's keeping those muscles loose so they're not pulling on my heel, but 5 milers really aren't much of a test.   I'll know more when I start adding miles...

NH Runner

Tuesday, 3/6 ... Nor'easter forecast for tomorrow, so knowing I wouldn't be running for a couple of days, I ended up running a 7 miler on the road.   No that far, but farther than I've been running lately, so I'm happy...

Wednesday, 3/7 ... 2 mile walk on the trail this morning before the snow arrived to keep loose...

Art in AZ

Went for a bike ride this afternoon for a change of pace. Got 12 miles in. Did the canal path route and saw they really chewed up the dirt road. It was bumpy, lots of soft dirt and ruts that made for rough 1.5 miles. For some reason they added grab rails on the sides of the canal. This canal has been there years. I have been running/biking along it for at least ten years. Why they decided to do that is a puzzle to me. Especially since you're not allowed in the canal and I have never seen anyone in the canal.

Ray - Congrats on you and the wife getting in the NY marathon.

Rich - If I heard the weather correctly, it looks like the nasty weather isn't through with your area yet.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

With all the overtime I've been doing I've fallen a month behind on my commentaries to your posts, so I am catching up today:

Rich - You go through more extreme weather than me, but have the equipment to go out for exercise in almost any condition and you do push ups and other indoor exercises when you can't go out. Good that you are starting to try some longer runs and I hope the calf injury does not hamper you too much.

Art - It is frustrating to fall behind your training schedule and when you cancel runs due to rain that does not help. Like you I hope to be able to catch up this spring with the training. Must have been a long fence that you just finished painting after all this time, good you got help from Granddaughters! I don't know what type of medicine you are testing that produces vivid dreams. I did read that mugwort, a plant used to flavor beer, has that effect when consumed. I guess you will be glad when you can sweat again! You said they added "grab rails" by the side of the canal. I am not sure what you mean, is it like a protective railing so nobody falls in? Or is it some low, metal bars which maybe are meant for docking boats? I write my longer posts on Notepad and then copy and paste so I don't time out.

Dan - Some nice runs and walks. Good that you use the treadmill, regardless of the weather I just prefer running outside, but you did get in a 9.1 miler on the RiverWalk and got to wear shorts!

Ray - You and DW do so many races I lose track! I guess I would do more if I had the time and money. You must spend like $200 or more a month with entry fees, traveling and staying at hotels for the races further from your home! Well, if you slacked a little on the Montana and were passed by grey headed dudes on the Victory, you deserve the chance to just have fun! Congratulations on the planned NYC marathon! Although I was a runner nearby on Long Island before I moved upstate, I never did that one. I guess it was a bit intimidating with the huge crowds compared to the small scale of the Long Island Marathon. I did see part of it one time, I was bird-watching with an Audubon group in Jamaica Bay Wildlife Sanctuary and we could see with binoculars one of the bridges across the bay and see the runners crossing the bridge! I would say you will be crossing over many bridges during your run since it goes through all 5 Burroughs.

Have to go, will continue later.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az - So you lost a shoe in the mud? I usually run on the road but sometimes take a walk break, sometimes a walk into the woods along a trail. One time I was walking by a stream and my foot sunk into mud and my shoe came off. Had to finish the run with a wet foot. Congratulations on running the Little Colorado River Gorge Trail half! Lower 5os seem a good temperature, but it can be hard running into the wind. Must have been a great view of the gorge (or should I say "gorgeous view" !). Good AG and overall placing. Still hoping you will post photos of the Antelope Canyon Ultra 55K.

When I miss a training run I rarely have time to make up the distance. I work starting at 2:30 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and usually have time to run before I go into work. I often get a late start and I try to finish my run before 1:30 pm so I can get showered and ready. Last summer I did many 10 to 12 mile runs during workdays. Thursdays and Fridays I am off and will try a longer run on one or both of those days. Now weekends I work mornings and have to get up before 6:30 am, I often I feel tired weekends after work and may not run, or just go a shorter run. However, with my crazy work schedule I was mandated to work all day this last Saturday and then all day Sunday too. I had to rest Monday, did not feel good and went back to bed after breakfast and rested until almost time to go into work! Good thing I rested because one of the night shift called off and I was there until 6 am the next day. Came home to sleep and went back to work later that day at 2:30 pm. Yesterday I did an easy 4 miles, too tired for any distance runs. Today is my off day, but had to go into Rochester and that ruined my plan for a long run today. Will see what I can do tomorrow, but snow is predicted. I am not sure when all this overtime at work will end and it is drastically affecting my training. As Ray say I have to try to do what runs I can and hope to be ready. I may need to focus more of speed if I don't have the time for those longer runs. I am concerned about being able to BQ in my October Marathon, but there is still hope and time to catch up with my training.