50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs and Workouts (Read 21 times)

justrundan

Well, I started August out in a good way. Helps that the first 2 days are days off for me!    12 miles on the roads near my home yesterday, and a 4.5 mile walk with DW on the Riverwalk, than 5.6 miles on a portion of the DWD trail at Devil's Lake.  Tomorrow will be a rest day! 

Chantilly- I knew your monthly total would be way up there. Way to go!

MK- yes, work can be a run killer, that's for sure!

The heat and humidity is back in our area for a while.  Early runs will be the order of the day.

Enjoy the weekend and your running!

Dan

rmcj001

Dan - nice start to August!  Keep it up!

Chantilly - Miles just keep piling up for you.  Marathon next week?

MaryK - Life happens.  Time to run!

5 mile walk yesterday at lunch and then calf just kept expanding and getting tighter.  Could barely walk last night.  Iced and tried to sleep early, but kept waking up.  More ice this morning and the swelling is down and starting to move more normally.  So, no runs for August yet and most likely on the shelf for at least a couple more days...

Ray

Fletch

Nice miles for July, everyone.

Dan - good start to August.

Ray - sounds like a good rest plan to heal the calf.  You'll be back out in no time.

MK - Hope things slow down for you soon.

Rest day Friday.

Joined two others from the Freaky Fast gang for a beautiful trail run Saturday morning. Just under 10 minute pace for 9.3 miles with LOTS of hills.  5 easy miles today (Sunday).

Happy Running!

Happy August everyone!!

Aug. 1 (Fri):  Bike and recovery run day after my 12.1 yesterday (Thurs).  Read somewhere that "3 miles of biking equals about 1 miles of running."  So rode my mtn bike 3.1 miles, ran 2.2 miles, biked 3.0 miles, ran 2.0 miles, finished by biking 3.2 miles.

Aug. 2 (Sat):  Rest day.  Watched the dragon boat races for a couple of hours.  Weekly total:  36 miles, YAY!!

Aug. 3 (Sun, today):  Trail runner friend picked me up at 9 am and we went to the state park trails.  She's training for her first ultra, 50k race, in South Dakota.  She ran her long run yesterday, 'only' 26.4 miles!!!  That's what I said, .  So today was her 'recovery run' of 10 miles.  Kept a steady, nice pace.  Walk Break at mile 6 and mile 8 where we walked the short hills.  We talked pretty much the entire distance!! Temp and humidity hovered around 70 degrees, overcast.  We were soaked by the time we finished.  We will meet when we can, busy lives and schedule as usual.

Well, I started August out in a good way. Helps that the first 2 days are days off for me!    12 miles on the roads near my home yesterday, and a 4.5 mile walk with DW on the Riverwalk, than 5.6 miles on a portion of the DWD trail at Devil's Lake.  Tomorrow will be a rest day! 

Dan:  WTG!!  A 12 miler!! Having some days off in your busy schedule are few and far in between lately.  Glad you had some quality time with DW, hello to her!! How are the new trail kicks?

Ray:  Have you tried a foam roller and a massage?  DH finally agreed that the foam roller does help with tightness he gets from swimming.  I love it for post-run especially for calves and hamstrings.  Hope the tightness doesn't last long.

MK:  good to hear from you!!  Work is always present but hope you get more time to run more; will check out the trail you mentioned, thanks.

Chantilly:  great JULY miles for you, keep it up!! You're amazing!!

adkkev

7 miles of canoeing on Friday afternoon ... Saturday was a major "clean out the cellar" day (how do we accumulate all this stuff??) ... 5.3 mile run around town this evening after spending the day in Vermont.

adkkev

6 miles this evening on the Erie Canalway trail.  Very nice night for a run!  Smile

justrundan

Spent my rest day Sunday walking around the State Fair Park near Milwaukee.  DW has a serious thing for the cream puffs they sell by the hundreds of thousands each summer!   Short easy run this morning to shake the stiffness out, still a little sore from Friday and Saturday.

AZ- the Cascadias were fine on the trail at Devil's Lake.  It wasn't their fault I took a wrong turn and headed down into some serious decline that ended in impassable brush.  then the serious incline back! 

DW and I spend a long weekend in Door County with another couple each fall.  Her school district changed the fall day off for teachers, so now it's a week later. Unfortunately, I realized today it is the same weekend as the Madison marathon/half marathon I had planned as my goal race for the fall.  I like running, but I love relaxing in Door County with good friends even more!  Now I have to find a substitute, thinking about this one the first Sunday in November.   http://railstotrailsraces.com/   It's run on the Elroy-Sparta bike trail, all hard packed gravel.  It includes a 3/4 mile RR tunnel! 

adkkev- running along the Erie Canal sound nice!

AZ- wow, a 10mile 'recovery run'!  I'll never know what that's like.  Great you found her to occasionally run with!

Ray- take it easy and you will be back out there soon.

fletch- very nice pace for almost 10 miles, way to go!

Dan

Fletch

Az - sounds like a very fun trail run with your friend!  And that's a nice total for last week - 36 miles.  WTG!

adkkev - Very fun sounding string of days there...except for the "cleaning out the cellar" part!  Nice work.

Dan - That rails to trails marathon looks like a lot of fun.  Scenic route.  I love the tunnel!  And this way, you get both...the relaxing weekend with friends, AND the goal race for the fall!

Monday was a SRD for my HM training plan.  Today was supposed to be 5 miles easy, followed by a few striders.  When the alarm went off, after a poor night's sleep, I hit the snooze button...then hit it again...and again.  Decided I could probably still get in 3 miles, if I hurried out the door.  But went back to sleep instead.     The sleep felt really good, and I'm sure I needed it.  But I've been kicking myself all day for not running.   I've considered getting out this evening, but that may not be wise, since I plan to do the tough speed workout with the gang at 4:45 tomorrow morning.  I guess I'll just write this one up as an unscheduled rest day.

Oh...the reason for my poor sleep...sometime over the weekend (could have been on the trail run Saturday, or out walking the dogs Sunday) I must have stepped into a bed of chiggers.  My right foot is covered with at least 25 bites, on the top of the foot, on the ankle, and between the toes.  The itching is INTENSE, and lotions only help slightly.  I've had this before, and it seems like the only thing is to let it run its course over a few days.  Not fun!

Happy Running, everyone!

WDWRich

Hello all,

I've been away from the forum for quite a while, but it's nice to see you're all still logging miles!

I've stuck to 10k races over the last few months and especially now with the warm summer temps- just not inclined to train for the longer distances.  Will push up to longer runs once cooler temps return in a month or two.  DD wants to run the San Diego HM with me in 2015, and the Resolution 15k in January is calling my name again.  My last event was the Costume Party HM/10k/5k three weeks ago. DD ran the HM and I ran the 10k.  Came in at 58:55 which was okay considering the warm and humid conditions on race morning.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to you all.  I'll try to check in more regularly going forward.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

adkkev

Welcome back Rich!!

Fletch - hope your bug bites/itching subsides!!

5.3 sticky miles for me this evening around town ... cloudy & pretty humid.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I made a post, I just don't have a lot of spare time, but I sometimes check in and read how you all are doing.      Ray: You gave a nice detailed report on your marathon. I think a sub 4 hour time is great since I've never done better than about 4:10 myself. I guess doing 50 mile weeks pays off! I don't know much about eating during a race, I had heard that your stomach shuts down when you run so what I have always done is to make like a banana smoothie to drink sometime before I do a long run and I have never felt hungry. It does seem like that you strained your calf muscle and I hope it feels better after a while!

Fletch: Nice Pinecrest Patriot 5k run! I've never run with a GPS myself and I am not sure how they calculate distances. If they just measure along a flat plane then they would not be taking vertical distances into account and the measurement would be a bit short. I've never run with a group or even a companion, I'm usually just on my own. I like the quiet solitude, but I can see how running with a group like your bacon runners could get you to push yourself more just to keep up with the pack! My sister lives in Boone! I have been to Grandfather Mountain and my sister showed me a part of the course of that marathon that was used in a running scene for Forest Gump! I would like to do that Marathon myself, but I am not sure if I could ever run uphill for that long a distance.

Debra: You are training good distances for a Sept. marathon, look out for those dogs!

Mary Kay: You run a lot of races! Well, you do so at a good pace and good luck with increasing your weekly millage.

AZ: I don't often run trails, but I plan to run along the Greenway trail here in upstate NY tomorrow. I also have been running in heat and humidity. I seem to have adapted well to it and it helps to run without a shirt! (One advantage to being male), I do however seem to feel the heat more when I stop running. Fortunately I have a pool to jump in and chill! It hasn't been real hot too many days here this summer with most of my runs being in the upper 70's to low 80's. We have had lots of rain and flooding in some nearby areas.

adkkev: It must be nice to run and canoe along those Adirondack trails and canals!

SteveBikeRun: I hope you did well on the 5k or 10k race you planned to run last month!

Chantilly: I'm not sure what a Self supported marathon is, is it like an nonofficial race? I hope your foot feels better so you can train for your marathon. I also have been doing weeding, I put down my grass clippings afterwards as a mulch and that stops most weeds from growing.

Dan: Good job on 2nd in AG in the Dances with Dirt RR! I've never done a trail race and it sounds challenging. BTW, I am typing this on Notepad and will later paste it to the forum.

Jo: good luck with your training plan for the HM in the fall!

Rich: hope that fibula is healing! I did not think you could injure a non weight bearing bone like that. Take it slow and I'm sure you will come back.

WDWRich: Good running on all those 10k races!

I have been trying to get back into running. Last April I was up to doing up to a 40 mile week and then fell and sprained both wrists! After I recovered from that I worked up to doing a 10 mile long run in July, but mid July I had E-Coli and was in the hospital for 5 days. 3 weeks later I started running again, working my way up in distance by starting with doing a mile run and increasing my distance until I was doing a 10 mile run by November. But I had a busy winter with lots of mandatory double shifts a work, getting ready for Xmas, Heavy snows with single digit temps and just general laziness. I only did one run in February and that was less than 2 miles in distance, but I was running more consistently by March. Now I have been trying to build up my mileage, particularly on my long run of the week. I just did a 10.4 mile run last Thursday, not very fast, about 2 hours 10 minutes - which is about a 12:33 pace, but I am trying to first build endurance for the long runs. My plan is to the local Oak Tree Half Marathon on August 31st. (look at my map to see it). Tomorrow I will run an 11.23 mile run that as I mentioned will take me onto the Greenway trail - a very flat former railway bed - but my run will end on a steep hill back to my house which may be tough to do. Next week I have a 11.92 mile course and the week before the HM I will do a 13.14 mile run as my long run. This is a faster training plan than I would prefer, usually I would only increase my long run by a half mile or less each week, but there is not much time left to prepare for my race and I like to be sure I can run the distance.   - Altair5

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Fletch

Rich - welcome back.  Nice time for your 10k, especially given the heat and humidity.

adkkev - nice run.  Back to the humidity, I see.

Altair5 - sounds like your running routine has been on a bit of a roller coaster ride.  Good luck prepping for the Oak Tree HM, but be careful adding the miles too quickly (see note below).

Bad day for me.  After the two days off, I felt really rested meeting up with the gang for our Wednesday speed work.  Felt fine during the warmup mile, and for the first few speed intervals.  Then I started feeling a little burning in my right achilles tendon.  I have those little twinges occassionally, and they usually subside quickly.  But this one kept getting worse.  At about mile 3, I bailed out on the group, and headed back at a slow jog toward the car.  Slowed to a walk, and then tried to start jogging again, but the pain was pretty intense.  Made it back to the car, and drove home.  When I stepped out of the car, I could barely put any weight it.  Immediately went in and iced it for about 15 minutes, then took a short nap before heading to work.  It's pretty painful now.  I'm going to try icing several times a day and using the foam roller.  Needless to say, the rest of this week's runs are off the table.  We'll see how it feels by the weekend.  Major BUMMER!

adkkev

4.7 miles this evening on the nature trail ... outside of the few bugs that I managed to swallow, it was a really nice evening for a run!!  Smile

Fletch - take good care of yourself ... go slow & take your time coming back from that injury.

NH Runner

Thought I'd jump in with a post as well...

Wednesday, 8/6... 10 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail in 48:04.   Ended up being a good workout for a guy who hasn't been doing much lately.    I still can't run, but my leg's coming along nicely

Welcome to the folks checking in after taking a break from the place, it's getting busy in here...

Fletch... an Achilles injury is tough, the pain doesn't always signal just how serious the injury actually is, so be really careful.   Being a tendon, it's going to be slow to heal, something else to keep in mind.   And good luck!

Dan... you're running and racing really well!

Ray... tough ending to your marathon, but sub 4 is nothing to sneeze at, congrats!   Take care of that calf!

MK... watch your carb intake, that's what keeps the weight on!   I think losing weight's tougher as we get older, but you're an athlete and we athletes are a tough bunch, we can do whatever we put our minds to...

Az... I like you workouts lately, the mtn bike is a great way to cross train, isn't it?

Chantilly & adkkev... rock solid as always.

Ok gito... where'd you go?