50 and over 5k and beyond

Runs & Workouts Week Ending 5/12/13 (Read 11 times)

rmcj001

5.11 niles in 49:44.   Legs are tired, mind is tired and just blah.  Right achilles is a bit sore.  Will be icing tonight.  Tomorrow may turn into an easy day.   Supposed to be 2 x 3 mile with 1/2 mile jog in between.  Figure did that Saturday...Weather was a bit different today,   I'm guessing 65F, but got a few sprinkles, windy and overcast.

Ray

adkkev

3.75 miles at lunch time while at work ... then 4.6 trail miles after I got home this evening.  Explored a couple new trails (new to me!) in the state forest ... of course both were pretty steep climbs so that wore me out a bit!  The downhill wasn't all that easy because of the rocks, roots, and branches on the trail  Some of the other trails have gotten soft from horses digging up the soil so that made some of the running a little more difficult as well.  The weather was almost perfect for trail running.  Noticed that some black flies were out when I got back to my car ... buzzing about but not landing or biting.  Hopefully the black fly season won't be too bad or last too long this year but it's a crap-shoot every year with them.  The biggest PITA is usually the deer flies, those beasts are the most annoying buzzing insects around.

NH Runner

Monday - 7 miles on the highway.  Warmed for 2, next 4 @ tempo, cooled or 1.  Tempo splits were 8:19, 8:21, 8:24 & 8:26 with the last 2 into the wind.

Tuesday - 14 easy paced miles on the railtrail.  At mile 6 the trail breaks out onto an old road and as I ran past one of the houses I got charged by a pit bull.  I pointed a finger at him and yelled "No! Go home!"  Thankfully, at the last second he turned and did, but the way he was growling and barking, I thought I was in trouble there for a second.

Hang in there Ray, marathon training's almost over.  Maybe a day off is in order, eh?

adkkev... don't you love it when deer flies chase you down the trail? lol   All they want is just one bite...lol  And for the uninitiated, black flies are a swarming knat that bite like crazy.  Their season is short, but what a pita they are.

Good point about the walk in the woods Art, sometimes it's nice to just kick back and relax.

Chantilly75

rmcj001 hang in there, not too long, now, but maybe a rest day or a recovery day would be helpful.

adkkev I guess the flies are the price we pay for a nice trail...are deer flies the same as horse flies? They chased me when I was little, boy, their bites were painful!

NH Runner Good job on not showing fear with the dog and being authoritative .  Hope he's not out again.

Sunday: 5 miles

Monday: 7 miles

Tuesday: 10 miles. Trying to decide whether to go to a group run after supper or not... I really should....even just for the social aspect, but they are going to do 9 miles....

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly & Rich -nice runs!  Achilles seems to be responding better then I expected.  Think I might take this week down a notch in intensity and give the body some healing time.  See how I feel after that.

adkkev - I've only read about black flies and from what I've read I'm glad...

9.11 miles today in 1:20:42 - watch says 8:52/mile.  To force myself to stay slower I only breathed through nose.  Actually that was true yesterday too, but today legs felt a bit better.  Achilles felt much better today, icing it now.

Ray

adkkev

8.25 miles yesterday ... all road miles, no trail miles.

Chantilly - yes, deer flies are like horse flies ... and they buzz around your head constantly when you're out on the trails.  Some of my hiking friends have gone so far as to put duct tape on their hats (rolled so some of the sticky part is exposed) to catch the little buggers.

Ray - black flies can be really awful sometimes ... once they start biting, yikes!  They swarm all over you ... clouds of them!  Fortunately their 'season' isn't very long.  But then they get replaced by the mosquitoes ...

Chantilly75

Everyone here seems to be having good runs.

Mowed and raked the yard yesterday afternoon, so didn't go to the group run.

Rest day today after a deep tissue massage.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Rest day for me today too ... I was going to go on a short run at lunch but it started to rain.

NH Runner

Wednesday was a day off, today I ran 3 miles at an easy pace on the railtrail.  I'm running a 5K this Saturday and trying to get to the start line on fresh legs.  An uncertified course with hills, but I've run it before and am curious how this year's time will stack up against past years with the new training schedule I'm trying.

adkkev

3.55 at lunchtime, 6.11 after work around town.  It was pretty humid @ lunchtime, well, not summertime July-August humid, but the air "felt heavy".  More comfortable while running on my home turf.

Chantilly75

By the time I got done at the dentist and assorted other errands, did not feel like going out for a run.

Like rmcj001 said earlier, just kinda blah.... probably left over from the very long winter we had.

Good luck on your 5 Km NH Runner.  It is interesting to measure one's self over the same course.

adkkev I imagine the air was a bit better after work?

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

chantilly - some days you got it, some days you don't.

NH - I think you're ready for your 5K, should be interesting.

adkkev - doubles?  hard core.

5.3 miles yesterday with work buddy, 50:00.  Getting friend into shape, Wednesday is supposed to be my rest day - 9:30 miles is close Wink

6 miles today, 9:20, 8:41, 8:47, 8:22, 8:30, 7:27 (traffic lights in mile 3 and 5, tailwind on mile 6).  55F so was just trying to stay warm in that last mile.  Actually, the tailwind felt nice and it was fun just kicking it out.  Legs are feeling better, but gotta ice my achilles...

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 nice rest day Wink

Kicked my little behind out the door and told myself you can't come back for over 3 hours.

20 miles run with walking breaks. On my feet time 3hrs. 55 min.

Rest day tomorrow.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - 20 miles?!  Damn - you go girl!

7 miles in 1:00:22 today, 75F.  It felt warm today and took me awhile to loosen up.  Iced the achilles afterwards.  More ice tonight.  Wife is doing an 18 mile race tomorrow.  I figure I'll try and get in 10-13 miles tomorrow (Sunday will be a real off day) that'll give me around 42-45 miles for the week.

Ray

adkkev

Nice run Chantilly!!  Way to crank out some miles!!

9 miles for me today.