52 in 52

Almost there...One more to go... (Read 201 times)

jeffdonahue

Been having a good run at it this Fall - getting in a couple a week to catch up and pass the pace bunny.  Now I'm just 7 away - hoping to get 2 more in this week and then 3 in each week for the rest of October.  I have a race in early November and am really hoping that this is going to help my time - though I do need to start doing some speedwork to get that back now.

Take it slowly now...You've got 12 weeks to get in those final 7 so don't push too hard.

I pushed beyond my limit a few months ago and ended up having a 2 month drought as a result.

Running - cheaper than therapy

Best of luck in your training and racing Jeff, stay healthy and kick some asphalt!

This link was originally posted by the other Jeff in the Swamp, and makes some interesting points about increasing mileage. 

Volume control

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Thanks guys.  I had read that article and am trying to remain aware of my increases.  But my increase in mileage is really not that much yet - so far it's just a shifting of my mileage.  I have moved some of my shorter runs 6-8 milers more times a week to doing 2-3 13+ milers with rest or even lower mileage days in between.

My highest weekly mileage lately has been 60 which I have come close to a few times this year.  but i still have cut-back weeks (though usually they are due to outside forces and not my willingness to do more miles that week).

I will probably have another week or two of high mileage and then taper down a bit for my early November race (either 5K or 7 miler - havent decided yet).

jeffdonahue

Damn it, you jinxed me.

Out for my run this morning and my right shin felt tight at the start.  Hoping it might loosen up I started out on a normal loop (not planning 13 but probably 8-10 today).  By about mile 3 it started to hurt so I turned around.  A mile later and I was walking/jogging just trying to get back to the gym.  Never mind the fact that it was pretty freaking cold this morning and my hands were numb.  then I stepped in dog crap.   Then I tripped on a curb and hit the ground hard.

All in all, a sucky run this morning.  I have ice on my shin now and just took some ibuprofen.  Honestly I blame the treadmill.  Twice this week I ran on the treadmill, which I haven't done in months and I think I did something to my leg on one of those runs.  I really think it changes your stride significantly when you run on the treadmill.  Not even sure why I didnt run outside yesterday, but I had opted for the TM and now regret it. 

Or it could have been the fact that I did my first bout of speedwork (5x400 in 1:30) this week after about a month and a half layoff from it.

Oh well.  Rest day tomorrow and I'll see how it feels for the 14 I have planned for Sunday.

I see 13.1 on 10/9 and 10/12, looks like it was a short-lived jinx?  Certainly hope so, stay healthy my friend.      : )

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

I see 13.1 on 10/9 and 10/12, looks like it was a short-lived jinx?  Certainly hope so, stay healthy my friend.      : )

Yeah, I took the rest of Friday off and then did my Saturday run LATE in the day to let it rest and heal as much as possible.  by Sunday morning it felt fine so I ran to my daughter's soccer tournament in Peabody - what a great run that was, perfect weather and running in places I had never run before.

Hoping to get another in tomorrow morning, then probably an easy weekend (life is busy).  next week, I am hoping to get to 52.

Great stuff Jeff.  Speaking of which, love the profile pic.

E.J.

jeffdonahue

Great stuff Jeff.  Speaking of which, love the profile pic.

That's my baby, about 100 yards before the finish of her 1st 5K.  8 years old, 37 minutes (including stopping at a gas station for a pee break) and the biggest, brightest smile on her face.  Right after that picture she took off and out-kicked her old man  Big grin

jeffdonahue

Okay, one more to go - hit 51 this morning.  But now I want to ask for some advice from anyone that has been running consistently higher mileage for a while.  This is kind of new to me - generally my mileage has hovered around 35-40mpw but lately I have been mostly in the 50-60 range (with a cutback week every 2-3 weeks).  Now I would like to start adding in some speedwork.  I dont really have a specific race I'm training for, but I do have a question.

Example - this week i was thinking about throwing in either some intervals or a tempo run.  Am I better off just doing 3-4 miles of a long run at Tempo on Friday, or should I do a tempo or interval run tomorrow (after which I have another 13 miler scheduled for Friday)?

I'm afraid that doing speedwork tomorrow sandwiched by 13+ milers today and Friday might be too much for my legs to handle.  On the other hand, I just dont see the time coming this weekend to get another 13 miler in - we have soccer all day Saturday adn then have to travel Sunday for a soccer shootout and High School open house in the afternoon.

What do you think?